Video: Edgar Castillo's goal for San Luis

Defender Edgar Castillo, who received brief consideration for the U.S. national team ahead of the World Cup after switching allegiances from Mexico last year, scored midway through the second half in a reserve role during San Luis' 2-1 loss to Puebla (jump forward to the 6:30 mark):

In Pachuca's 1-1 draw at Toluca, American defender-midfielder Marco Vidal played the last 10 minutes, forward Herculez Gomez was not used and midfielder Jose Torres didn't make the game-day roster.

By Steve Goff  |  August 2, 2010; 8:34 AM ET
Categories:  Mexico , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Edgar Castillo, Mexico
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS weekend flashback
Next: A few minutes with U.S. defender Oguchi Onyewu

Comments

Mexican League is getting interesting. I count Jose Torres, Herculez Gomez, Edgar Castillo and Borenstein. Never heard of Marco Vidal.

Too bad Comcast Cable in (Old) York, PA only offeres Univision. No Galavision, Telefutura, Telemundo or Aztec Channel.

I like the fact that Mexican Americans are choosing to play for USA which kinda puts a dent into the argument "They don't want to integrate into the US."

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 2, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Marco Vidal is the Texan who was at Indios de Ciudad Juarez. They got relegated and he got to work in a much less dangerous place.

I watched the end of Toluca-Pachuca and he was on the field for Toluca's late equalizer but there didn't seem to be a whole lot Vidal could have done. Pachuca had dominated the game but were only up by a goal and the defending champs pushed hard in the final minutes. They got the goal on a sequence where Calero made 2 very good reflex saves but Toluca finally put away the rebound on the 3rd chance.

A tie on the road at Toluca is a good result but Pachuca will be disappointed that they gave up the late equalizer.

Torres received some kind of minor injury in practice ("esguince" in Spanish which may be a sprain) and was guesstimated to be out for about 10 days.

Edgar Castillo is a good speedy attacking player. It's the defensive side of his game which has often been lacking in the past year.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 2, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Back online after a week away from all things electronic.

Sounds like I was pretty fortunate to miss the United match. Ugh.

"For three strange days
I had no obligations
My mind was a blur
I did not know what to do
I think I lost myself
When I lost my motivation
Now I'm walking 'round the city
Just waiting to come to
For three strange..."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 2, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

thanks for the report Joel. Missed the match while attending a birthday party with the kiddo. May be watching a little more Mexican soccer with the Yanks at Pachuca. I've got an abundance of spanish speaking channels on my tv that broadcast soccer. Just found Azteca America the other day when I ran another autoscan.

I asked previously, but I'll try again. Does anyone know if ESPN will continue to broadcast select EPL and La Liga matches in the coming season?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 2, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

dr, I think they are going to have even more than that -- when watching the WC on espn3, they had news about how you could watch those leagues, and Italy and Germany. I suspect that EPL and La Liga are still the ones on TV, though.

Posted by: Reignking | August 2, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

The ESPN schedule for August 14 shows "Barclay's Premier League" from 7:30 to 10:00 AM. For some reason this listing is only for ESPN2HD, while ESPN2(SD) shows "TBA." We'll probably see Sunderland v Birmingham or something of equal stature :(

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 2, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Many Blame Curt O
Look to the past (Soehn), Stupid
It's the Management

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 2, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Back online after a week away from all things electronic.
Posted by: Rand-al-Thor
==========

I thought that was you in the Clinton wedding photos.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 2, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

That wasn't me, I-270. It was George Clooney. But I can see how you could be confused.

$4 million for a wedding? That could buy health insurance for a lot of people. I'm hoping that dollar figure is just rumor.

Did someone say "rumor"?!

"I never did believe in miracles,
But I've a feeling it's time to try.
I never did believe in the ways of magic,
But I'm beginning to wonder why"

Fleetwood Mac, 1977

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 2, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Off topic threadjack attempt: BECKHAM!

Galaxy say his rehab is "on schedule": http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2010/07/beckham-return-galaxy-next-week

And AC Milan don't expect him back for a third loan: http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5426432/ac-milan-expect-david-beckham-return

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 2, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Did AC Milan compensate LA for Beckham's injury the way they wanted USSF to compensate them for Onyewu's?

I'm guessing no.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 2, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

"Fleetwood Mac wrote their best music when they were fighting"

"Rumors"

"No, it was all true."

Flight of the Conchords.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 2, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

And Sammy Ochoa and Sonny Guadarrama, both of whom played for our U-20s if I'm not mistaken.

I would particularly keep an eye on Ochoa. He had a pretty good strike rate in the Mexican 2nd Division, and while I haven't seen him play this season, the reviews I've read have been positive.

Nice to see Edgar have a positive outing, as he looked pretty poor in San Luis's first game.

Too bad Pachuca couldn't hold on. Starting the season with a blowout win over América and road win against Toluca would've been pretty magical, especially considering that they were missing two automatic starters yesterday. They're still in very good shape, though.

Posted by: BooThisMan | August 2, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse