Video and poll: Marquez golazo, Ching bicycle

New York's Rafael Marquez with a blast:
Get Microsoft Silverlight

Houston's Brian Ching with a bicycle kick:
Get Microsoft Silverlight

By Steve Goff  |  August 21, 2010; 10:36 PM ET
Categories:  MLS , Mexico , Poll  | Tags: Brian Ching, Rafael Marquez
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Afternoon Kickaround
Next: Matchday: D.C. United vs. Philadelphia Union

Comments

Absolutely great goals, and on the same weekend. Cool.

The Houston announcer sounds a little bit like Joe Buck. Though he could have been a little more excited at Ching's finish.

Speaking of Ching... fire Bradley!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | August 21, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Ching. Easy. Because a) it was better, and b) he's not Marquez.

Posted by: benonthehill | August 21, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't like neither candidate but I give it to Marquez. He just happened to walk by and received the pass. And he took a shot and curved it right. And plus he is a defender not a striker.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 21, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Anybody can throw a leg up and make a bicycle kick.. It takes so much more talent to strike a ball and keep it low while it's moving. MARQUEZ GOAL IS BEST!

Posted by: educatedguest | August 21, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Ching. Easy. Because a) it was better, and b) he's not Marquez.
Posted by: benonthehill

Marquez is a punk. Always will be.

Posted by: delantero | August 22, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

The bicycle kick is 2nd only to the rainbow as most overrated soccer skill (most likely followed by those who can only juggle with their thighs). Ching would have sent Marquez's shot out for a throw in. Marquez goal by a mile.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 22, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Take it back, that style of bicycle kick is the 2nd most overrated soccer skill. The ball just dropped to him. Now if Ching did that one time off a cross (such as Giggs' last week from Scholes or Bale's today from Lennon) I would be inclined to give him props. In this goal Ching just fell on his back and kicked the ball. Marquez showed exquisite technique; Ching showed determination.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 22, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Don't Tread on Ching

Grubbs, you must be drunk...;)
I don't think the bicycle is overrated at all. People hardly have any success with them, and more times than not they commit a foul in the process with their flailing. I think it shows a lot of instinct and awareness of what's happening around him in the box.
That being said, Rafa's goal also shows solid technique and instinct as well. Both are great goals, but as other's have pointed out, I'm going to pick a shunned Yank over a dirty hack who plays for Mexico any day of the week. Do I need to bring up the fact that fact that it is a sin for United fans to praise Pink Cows scum?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 22, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

And yes, Bale's Wu-Tang head lopping strike of death was off the ringer...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 22, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse

On principle I refuse to install Silverlight, so I can't see the goals.

On principle I voted for Ching anyway.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 22, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Lichaj is on the bench for Villa today.

Posted by: glfrazier | August 22, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Good day in MLS yesterday.

Jon Busch and Kevin Hartman were out of their minds.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 22, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Have the CWG given up on United Casts all together? WTF is the weather supposed to be doing around 2?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 22, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I have tried to do both. I actually think it is easier (if you know the motion and aren't afraid to do it) to hit a bicycle kick, especially at close range, compared to hitting a volley like that so straight.

I know you guys know what I am talking about when you hit a volley and it swerves off or flys high. Hitting that long straight kind of volley on a first touch is harder in my opinion, but I voted even... because Marquez stinks! Dos a Cero!

Posted by: MrCerniglia | August 22, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

brad friedel just gave up his SIXTH in stoppage time. bet he wishes he'd let his backup in for this game.

Posted by: troy6 | August 22, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

And Dempsey is starting for Fulham vs. MU today. Lichaj must be happy to have not been on the pitch. I can only follow the match reports, but wow, what a scoreline. What's with 6-0 results in the EPL this year?

Posted by: glfrazier | August 22, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I almost voted even, but Ching's was against Chicago, so... Ching.

Posted by: crynyd | August 22, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

90% of the announcers doing MLS games do too much chit-chatting and watching the TV tube instead of watching the match on the pitch. How in the world can anyone get a true perspective watching the tube. They all get excited about nothing and when something does happen, they're lost for words. It's like NFL Monday night, two guys talking it up while play goes on. Why have two announcers when the game speaks for itself.

Posted by: juke2 | August 22, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse