D.C. United defeats Toronto FC, 1-0

Defender Julius James scored in the 81st minute Saturday afternoon, lifting D.C. United to its first road victory in three months, a 1-0 decision over Toronto FC.

United was about nine minutes from setting the MLS record for scoreless performances in a season when James scored with a left-footed shot from seven yards against his former club. Teammate Danny Allsopp deflected Branko Boskovic's free kick to James, who turned and struck a low effort past goalkeeper Stefan Frei and into the left side.

With its first away win since June 10 at Seattle and first goal on the road since July 3 at San Jose, United (5-16-3, 18 points) handed Toronto (7-10-7, 28) just its second home defeat of the season and damaged the Canadian team's playoff aspirations with six matches remaining.

Get Microsoft Silverlight

By Steve Goff  |  September 11, 2010; 6:11 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS  | Tags: D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: D.C. United at Toronto FC
Next: Antonucci to leave as WPS commissioner; western N.Y. franchise approved to join women's league

Comments

James: Our player with a pulse. Man, is Allsopp infuriating.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | September 11, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Missed the game (blacked out for me, even on mlssoccer.com). Well in lads.

Posted by: Kosh2 | September 11, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

the better team certainly won this match. Toronto was really bad. We had long stretches of good possession. And I know people rag on Morsink but his work in the center of the midfield is a catalyst...very gritty.

Posted by: fedssocr | September 11, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Man, is Allsopp infuriating.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | September 11, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Allsopp?

I have watched the Santino miss about 30 times and I just can't figure out how he didn't score that goal. It takes a special kind of person to miss that.

Najar looked great and is really starting to see those crosses and opportunities. Now if he only had someone who could finish in the box...enter James.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 11, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Like they said to Jon Lovitz at the end of the season on Saturday Night Live: "Julius, get in the limo."

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 11, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Southeasterner

Well, Quaranta is a different problem, and has been suffocated by a leadership role he was never meant to have.

Allsopp, on the other hand, is a guy who is clearly puttering toward the retirement clinic (we recruited him right out of the Middle East, for God's sake) yet is the sole source of goals from our forwards. Very frustrating to wait around for this man to win us a game.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | September 11, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

to be fair, Tino was bad before he got a leadership role, so I don't think you can blame that. His miss was not the easiest of chances. I think Andy should have just taken the shot himself on that play.

Posted by: fedssocr | September 11, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

There's a pattern here. I saw about ten minutes of the game against the Crew - Hamid's boner (can I use that word?) came just as I was about to turn it off. I did miss Chivas' goal the week before, but saw enough of the game o keep United off the score sheet, I think.

In fact, I think, United has a 2-0 record in the last two games that I've completely missed. 3-0, if you count the Portsmouth match....

Posted by: fischy | September 11, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, I missed the RSL match, and that didn't help....

Posted by: fischy | September 11, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, I missed the RSL match, and that didn't help....

Posted by: fischy | September 11, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Well, I missed the RSL match, and that didn't help....

Posted by: fischy | September 11, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey -- that's weird. I only hit the submit button twice, but got 4 posts....

Sorry,

Posted by: fischy | September 11, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Fischy, there is definately a pattern here all right.

Posted by: b18bolo | September 11, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, I don't know if there is a pattern here, but there is defintely an echo...

Posted by: BillUrban | September 11, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Fischy, there is definately a pattern here all right.

Posted by: b18bolo | September 11, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

DC United: playoff killer!!

Posted by: nairbsod | September 11, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Tino has no excuses for the awful season he has had. One goal (on 45+ shots)and one assist playing the most games and minutes of anyone on the team. He takes a ton of free kicks as well and plays little to no defense. Allsopp is at least new to the team, league and country.

Posted by: Dancy1 | September 11, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

anyone know what happened to Simms?

Posted by: dsheon1 | September 11, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

they were saying on the fb page that Simms re-aggravated an old injury.

James finally rewarded the boys for a lot of hard work.
Made my day.

fischy, seems like you've spent more time trying and failing to write about DC United more than you have than actually watched any games lately. thanks for sharing...

Posted by: DadRyan | September 11, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | September 12, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Where is the Man-Tino love society where we need them?

Nice game, lads! Sorry I didn't see it--not a pattern, incidentally.

Posted by: paulkp | September 12, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

DC United: playoff spoiler! Nice turn on the goal by Julius James.

Posted by: billindmd | September 12, 2010 5:01 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Q should have scored...but Najar's pass wasn't all that great.

Good win...great to see that the boys are still fighting.

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | September 12, 2010 5:01 AM | Report abuse

The win doesn't change the fact that the front office is wholly inept, to include - especially the owner.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | September 12, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

The wind doesn't change the fact that the front office is made up of nothing but Barco-lounger barnacles. That includes the owner.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | September 12, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Way too harsh on Tino. All the strikers should be strapped in chairs and required to watch the James goal 100 times.

Posted by: KRIKET | September 12, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

"I was shocked at how bad Toronto is...how the hell are they even near a playoff spot?"

Two words: Eastern Conference

Posted by: nairbsod | September 12, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

The Post sports desk continues to diss DCU. Not a peep about the match in the online print edition. Yet again. (I wonder whether the Baltimore Sun carried the AP story.) Little wonder the Washington area local governments aren't rushing to help DCU get a new stadium when the local paper-of-record -- beyond Goff's blog -- can't be bothered to even run a wire-service story.

Posted by: runningcloud | September 12, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

@Dad -- I've been to nearly all the home games, and tried to catch the rest of the games on TV. Lately, that's just not a priority -- not always worth the effort.

Posted by: fischy | September 12, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I hear that fischy, I've only been to a couple games myself this year, and yes jumping through rings of fire to watch this team is not a priority for me either.
I was just happy with the win, finally a match with a little drawn out excitement at the end. If it takes you missing the matches for them to win, carry on. :)

Posted by: DadRyan | September 12, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Two words: Eastern Conference

Posted by: nairbsod | September 12, 2010 8:11 AM
_________________________________________

That explanation might have held water in most seasons, but not this season, where there is a de facto single-table format.

Posted by: universityandpark | September 12, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Ok, that definitely settles it. Next game Ben should play all our defenders up top and all our strikers on the back line. Tino and Allsop will probably score as many goals from the back line as they have being up front. I can't believe how bad Toronto looked. Compared to them, WE actually looked good. Keep fighting lads!!

Posted by: patrick18 | September 13, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I know Toronto has been anemic of late, but I give some credit to DCU defense.

They have definitely figured out how to defend with a line up of a back four with two true d-mids in front of them.

Unlike many of the other games early in the season when they fielded this sort of lineup, DCU actually was still able to create decent scoring chances. Encouraging.

Crystal clear that the team needs a better striker. I feel bad because it looks like Allsopp tries really hard. He's just not getting it done.

What's up with Boskovic? Maybe he was tired from travel, but he had very little impact on the game during the run of play.
I hope Olsen watches Montenegro video and figures out how to get the most out of this guy. He has skills.

Team is playing hard for Olsen. I liked the effort from Najar, Morsink, James, and Hernandez. Jakovic was OK too.
Vamos United!

Posted by: footiefan101 | September 13, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Good coaching, great win! The best teams use http://www.funtoplayusa.com soccer goals to keep their play at a high level! Any other secrets?

Posted by: Guribs | September 17, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse