D.C. United news & notes: injuries, travel, trade

*The hits keep coming for D.C. United: Forward Jaime Moreno will not accompany the club to Los Angeles for Saturday night's match against the Galaxy because of flu-like symptoms. ... Rookie defender Barry Rice, sidelined since suffering a gash above an eye two weeks ago, is experiencing concussion symptoms and won't be available, interim coach Ben Olsen said. ... Goalkeeper Bill Hamid's shoulder surgery in Birmingham on Wednesday was ruled a success, but he will need six months for full recovery -- a timetable that runs up to the 2011 MLS season opener in mid-March. Midfielder-forward Chris Pontius, set for hamstring surgery Friday, is on a four-to-six month rehab schedule.

*Midfielder Carlos Varela, signed this week, traveled with the club and is eligible to play. Midfielder Junior Carreiro, signed Wednesday, traveled with the club but is awaiting his international transfer certificate. Without it, he would not be eligible against the Galaxy. Chase Harrison will serve as the reserve keeper for the second consecutive game; he is on weekly contracts.

*Midfielder Conor Shanosky, a recent academy signing, is going to be with the team in California, despite the fact that he isn't eligible until next season. "It's good for him to see what a road trip is like and have him hang out with us," Olsen said. "He is very excited about the [meal] per diem."

For more on the Carey Talley trade.....

*In the trade that sent veteran defender Carey Talley to the Red Bulls just before the roster deadline Wednesday, United will receive the worst of New York's three second-round selections in the 2011 draft. Besides their own pick, the Red Bulls hold Houston's slot as part of a deal that delivered forward Dominic Oduro to the Dynamo in May 2009 -- New York also received a first-round pick in that lopsided trade -- and also acquired Columbus's second-rounder at some point.

New York approached United about Talley late in the process, and out of respect for Talley, who, since entering the league with D.C. in 1998, had moved five times, United conferred with him about the trade proposal.

"We wanted to get his point of view because he has been a big part of this club and a great player for this league," Olsen said. "We wanted to make sure he was okay with it. We discussed it at length. He was willing to do it, so we made the move. We weren't unhappy with him; his experience and leadership have been valuable. We owed it to Carey to have that conversation."

By Steve Goff  |  September 16, 2010; 12:12 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday kickaround: MLS, D.C. United, CONCACAF, Americans abroad, TV listings
Next: Weekend soccer TV listings

Comments

Talley out 34 yo; Varela in 33 yo -- it's a year in the right direction.

Kidding aside, that was the classy thing to do talking to him so kudos for that to Coach Ben Olsen.

Posted by: DCB23 | September 16, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like I might need to suit up...as soon as I finish this donut I am totally going to start getting in shape.

Posted by: rockotodd | September 16, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Man... Hmmm...What to say but...Ha ha Even now NY looks DC as a joke!!!

Posted by: rigs88 | September 16, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Would seem like a no brainer for a player in his twilight to move from the worst team in the league to a contender and play with Henry, et al. in their new soccer temple. I should think he's beyond stoked.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 16, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I was reading this post on my Bberry when I fell down a flight of stairs. I'm now in the hospital with a pulled hamstring, a ruptured hernia, concussion, a gash under my left eye, and shin splits. I threw up at about the fifth step, so I probably have the flu, too.

I'm going to start reading Hax' blog. This one's killing me.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | September 16, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I like Benny-ball! . . . and everthing about it. It's classy, creative, and aggressive.

Posted by: edmundburke247 | September 16, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

If they actually keep the draft picks and use them to gain some depth, then it would be great. Another sucky player is Quaranta, for all the freekicks, and long distance shooting, this guys second coming has not proven anything. jackovic with an experienced defender in the middle will be the step in the right direction. Then we need the rest of the team after that.

Posted by: godpere | September 16, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

With Hamid's long recovery time I assume Perkins is a lock for the expansion draft protected list.

Posted by: invncbl | September 16, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: godpere | September 16, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------->
These floating heads are disturbing.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | September 16, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

OT

Philly coach Riley is WPS Coach of the Year.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 16, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm holding out hope for the 2012 season....

Posted by: tcbannon | September 16, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

So, we're left with Allsopp, Hernandez and Cristman up top (and eventually Moreno). Quaranta, Najar, and Varela on the wings (waiting for Junior to back them up someday). Boskovic (when there are no Euro qualifiers), a hobbled Simms, King and Morsink in the middle. On the back line, we've got McTavish, Jakovic, James, Graye and/or Zayner, with rumors that Wallace or Peña might be available before the season is over. Not much room for error here, if anyone else goes down.

Posted by: fischy | September 16, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm holding out hope for the 2012 season....

Posted by: tcbannon | September 16, 2010 2:21 PM

Why? Is she going to back-up Perkins, or start in goal?

Posted by: fischy | September 16, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday Bompastor buried a free kick in second-half stoppage time to punch France's ticket to Germany next summer. In another match Mykaland went 88' as Norway also qualified.

Did anyone see that a familiar face is back on the job market? I wonder whether there is a place for him anywhere in the footie world:

Posted by: universityandpark | September 16, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

well played, piscine one

Posted by: OWNTF | September 16, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Another young player with a foot in each of two countries:

Posted by: universityandpark | September 16, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF -- Thanks, but tcbannon's original line was better....

Posted by: fischy | September 16, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

universityandpark: anchor baby?

Posted by: Reignking | September 16, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

As someone who has covered this team from a media angle for nearly 8 years, I can't tell you how fun it is to deal with Ben Olsen.

The crack about Shanosky and his per diem is typical Benny. The guy is a pleasure to cover...

Posted by: ARickey | September 16, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

A guy who's currently useless for another bite at the second round sleepers, I'm fine with that.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | September 16, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Can Stephen Strasburg play for United while he's on the baseball disabled list? He had shoulder surgery but as far as I know his legs ar ok.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 16, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

(I say this just in case the FO is willing to re-consider their "we're-looking-for-a-proven-coach-with-a-certain-style" requirement. After all, who am I to challenge their stellar management over the past couple of seasons?)

Posted by: edmundburke247
___________________________________________

You know, I think I'm beginning to agree with you. If the front office brings in a "Paul Mariner"-type as assistant coach, I think that Benny might do a lot better than O.K. as a head coach. The players certainly seem to be responding to him.

Posted by: Stevenho | September 16, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse