D.C. United quotes: Pontius, Simms, Olsen

D.C. United midfielder-forward Chris Pontius is hoping that major surgery for a hamstring injury will put an end to a problem that bothered him all year. The operation will be performed Friday in Los Angeles, sidelining him for up to six months. The 2011 MLS season will begin six months from Sunday.

"I have just wanted this thing to be over with," he said. "I don't want to have to deal with this hamstring again.

"There was a chance that we thought we could avoid [surgery]; that's why we did all the strengthening. It's the same thing that happened in April. My body has healed from it, but it's still torn off the bone. If I ever want to play and run at the pace that I can run at, I need to get this."

Many players have returned from such an injury, including former D.C. United captain Ryan Nelsen after he moved to Blackburn Rovers and Los Angeles Galaxy defender Sean Franklin.

"It's going to be frustrating not being able to play and move for a while, but I have got to see the light at the end of the tunnel," he said. Pontius will remain in California for six weeks after surgery, return to Washington for treatment and then rehab in Los Angeles during the offseason.

Assessing his lost season (13 starts, two goals vs. Seattle), he added: "I wanted to come in and have a good second year in the league, live up to some of the expectations. I know that I can. It's frustrating, especially when you love the game and you see the team struggling as much as it is. I have never dealt with anything like this."

At least he gets to have the surgery done near home in California.

"Mom and Dad will take care of me because I can't move for a couple weeks."

For Clyde Simms and Ben Olsen comments.....

Defensive midfielder Clyde Simms had sports hernia surgery in August 2009 in Germany, but only on the right side of the groin. At the time, he also felt discomfort on the left side, but doctors decided not to operate. Now, the left side is giving him additional problems, to the point where he couldn't play Saturday at Toronto FC.

For now, he will try to practice and play through it, and probably have surgery after the season.

"It's the same symptoms. The problem the other day was sometimes it goes down into the testicle. It's almost like you've gotten hit there, that feeling afterward. Every step, you feel that pain. It comes and goes. We're just going to have to manage it. There isn't much season left, so hopefully we can make it through without having to go [for surgery] until the year is over."

Despite the decision last year to not operate on the left side, Simms said that "I definitely have a lot of faith in the doctor. The right side is great, no problems. I just wished they had went ahead and done the other side."

Interim coach Ben Olsen, on the signing of Spanish outside midfielder Carlos Varela: "He is a guy who can give us a spark off the bench. He runs with the players very well. He is still adapting. It's a good chance for us the rest of the year to take a look at him to see if he is somebody that we want a part of this team in the future."

Because of the club's numerous injuries, United hasn't been able to look at him in a full competition, except for a scrimmage against Georgetown University. "He hasn't had much opportunity to play in an open space, particularly because our numbers are down so much. I can't bring in 10 guys from the local pubs to get a 11 v 11 game."

With Bill Hamid out for the year, goalkeeper Troy Perkins is the starter for the rest of the season. "I am very happy for Troy," Olsen said. "He has taken a lot of heat this year. He's a very good goalkeeper and we have a lot of faith in him. I think you saw on the weekend what type of keeper we expect him to be and what he expects of himself. We came up with a great save and commanded the box very well. All it takes is one game to get your form back."

By Steve Goff  |  September 14, 2010; 12:25 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United news & notes: injuries, signing
Next: Hope Solo disciplined for Twitter comments

Comments

the season is done. shut simms down now. why risk it?

Posted by: torrey151 | September 14, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Simms is a hero, fighting through pain with no reason to play except love of United. Also...Is this the first time 'testicle' has appeared on the Insider?

Posted by: DC0071 | September 14, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love a guy who wants to gut out this meaningless season when every step feels like a ping on his brussel sprouts.

I dig Clyde Simms.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 14, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

OT:

Rand-al-Thor on the Freedom game.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 14, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Testicle. There, I said it. No bleeps. Simms show a lot of courage saying that for attribution.

Posted by: fischy | September 14, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I hope Troy finds and keeps his mojo and thereby secures his starting job for next season too.

Posted by: WorldCup | September 14, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Also... I like to melt butter on my brussel sprouts.

Posted by: WorldCup | September 14, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Its sad to say, but if Perkins does well in these last games, I wouldn't put it past the FO to trade him for some further depth

Posted by: SexyOffender | September 14, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Simms, two-fers only make business sense with very ripe fruit and close to expiring canned goods. Not so much expenseive surgeries...I kid, I kid (sort'a).

Simms is a warrior. Taking one in the testaculars for the team, for the shirt - that's just heart, grit and guts brother, heart grit and guts.

Party and Hamid do what you have to do, take it easy, lads. You're young and have a lot of soccer left in your careers. We got your backs.

This has been one heck of an ugly season. Get well guys, recoup and let's bounce back with the fury next season.

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | September 14, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Things are getting a little testy around here...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | September 14, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Haven't seen Varela, but I hope he has enough quality to become a starting player.
This team need better quality starters in the attack.

If DCU signs older veteran players, they need to be players that have the vision, poise, and quality to make the final pass in the attacking 1/3 or actually score goals.

I'm not sure we need more bench quality players when the starters are dropping like flies.

Posted by: footiefan101 | September 14, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Not true, Olsen -- we know media have put the boots on to play in the reserve matches.

Posted by: Reignking | September 14, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Here's a DC United nugget, from the Detroit News via MLSsoccer link:

A 15 y.o. kid (@ 6'2", 180, can he still be called a "kid"?) from Michigan (native of Guinea) Mahamoudou Kaba -- somehow got a summer gig with the DCU Academy, helping them to the U17 SUM title. Supposedly, he so impressed management that they offered him a 3-year deal. He turned them, because he wants to finish high school. Sounds like they should pull out all stops to keep him in the DCU fold....

Posted by: fischy | September 14, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

News Alert

the reign of terror at TFC has apparently ended. Mo Johnson and Preki are being canned. Players fed up with their b*ll b*sting management style.

Sounds like an opportunity for a positive guy like Onalfo, who got shafted by DC

Posted by: Ruthie1 | September 14, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Edu starting.

Posted by: Reignking | September 14, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Yo! I guess I was auto added when you re-launched the Argy Bargy RK! I'm guessing I'll end up deleting the SI league if we have nothing but a duplicate league. Hopefully we can get more folks to join.

New job hasn't afforded me time to check the Insider in the morning so far... perhaps settling in I'll be able take a peek most mornings before the rest of the crew shows up.... maybe even be able to afford buying into the whole cable box craze and getting the perpetually sucky FSC that seems to be one of the only places to watch live Champions League these days. Shame about Comcastsportsynet not picking up a live match a week this year. Just reruns. ugh.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 14, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

According to the Detroit News story, Kaba says DCU offered him a low six-figure salary - which he turned down. Wow!

Posted by: b18bolo | September 14, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

And as for Simms: He alway plays balls-out.

Posted by: b18bolo | September 14, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for sharing, there, Clyde. Now, about your hemorrhoids...

Posted by: Landru | September 14, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Ha, I stole you guys back :)

I never knew they had the renew option.

Posted by: Reignking | September 14, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

A haiku for the 14th:

Like an idiot
I check the BigSoccer site
Hoping for good news

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 14, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

fallschurch, time to get a rope for "nick"? ;)

Good call on Edu RK... I had enough time to sit another defender and start him myself... you better be right!!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | September 14, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

In related news, Carlos Varela will delay his return to United in order to go to Germany for hamstring and groin surgery. Speaking through a translator he said, "I see what is happening to the team of DC United. I think if I go over there and play, I'll just have to come back for the surgery. So I'm doing the surgery first."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 14, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Great idea, start players from Rangers...keep doing that :)

Posted by: Reignking | September 14, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

grrrrr forgot predictor

Posted by: Reignking | September 14, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Jermaine Jones is also playing today....

Posted by: Reignking | September 14, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Nice debut for Tottenham!

Posted by: Reignking | September 14, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

James is the man. While talking about a preseason talk with Onalfo, "I told him, ‘I’m a guy who >>wants

Posted by: SexyOffender | September 14, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I see that the raging atheists at the Anschutz-owned Examiner don't capitalize "God." Or is James the child of a lesser god?
:-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 14, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

odd, it cut off half the quote when i closed out the emphasis. fyi, It says he 'wants' to be here

Posted by: SexyOffender | September 14, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Well starting Berbatov doesn't help me either. At least I'm getting a couple points for starting Edu so far...

Posted by: DadRyan | September 14, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Mata is killing me (sí, a Spanglish pun).

Posted by: Reignking | September 14, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Man, the balls are really bouncing around here today:

“The former coach [Curt Onalfo], he didn’t have too much confidence in me, you know,” said James. “He brought in two different center backs, three actually [Juan Manuel Pena, Carey Talley, Barry Rice], and they all got a chance before I did. I worked my [male genitalia] off, man, and I kept my head down. Thank god I had the opportunity to play, and I thank god for good health… I spoke to him at the beginning of the season. I told him, ‘I’m a guy who wants to be here. I’m going to fight, scrap, do whatever is necessary to help the team,’ and I guess my little speech wasn’t good enough. I never had anything easy, and it has made me a stronger person.”

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/penalty-kicks/DC-United-adds-Varela-still-has-James-102881249.html#ixzz0zXHNV4pO

Posted by: OWNTF | September 14, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I need equipment to line the practice field. Should I get orange discs or cojones?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 14, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Cojones just played 70 minutes for Schalke.

Posted by: Reignking | September 14, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

BTW, with the firing of Preki (and also MoJo), once again, DC United proves to be a coaches' graveyard--teams play us, they lose, their coaches get fired. It's just usually a metrostars coach getting the ax, that's all.

Posted by: JoeW1 | September 14, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

N'Doye Dame, of the F'ghting Irish, scores for FC Copenhagen.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 14, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Dame? A woman scored?

The puns are great today -- too bad it's like an echo in here 270.

Posted by: Reignking | September 14, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

More like ping-pong balls.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 14, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

for some reason at the last minute I took the Captaincy away from Messi.

Posted by: rockotodd | September 14, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to assign a captain, so mine is Ozil.

Posted by: Reignking | September 14, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

What tho the odds be great or small
N'Doya Dame will win overall
While his loyal teammmates march
Onward to vic-to-reee!

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 14, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

If Simms can play when it feels like every step is a game of Roshambo, then he's certainly a bigger man than me.

Posted by: DrBeaker | September 14, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse