D.C. United's Ben Olsen fined by MLS for comments made to match officials after ejection

D.C. United interim coach Ben Olsen was fined $750 by MLS for comments that he made to match officials in the aftermath of a sideline commotion in the closing moments of last Saturday's 3-1 loss to the Houston Dynamo at RFK Stadium.

UPDATE: The fine is in addition to the automatic $500 penalty for being ejected, for a total of $1,250, a league spokesman confirmed to the Insider.

The league has yet to formally announce the disciplinary actions, and it's unclear whether the penalty was in addition to the automatic $500 fine for being ejected.

Olsen and Dynamo Coach Dominic Kinnear were sent off after approaching one another and shaking hands. They insisted that they did not exchange angry words and that Olsen was simply apologizing for United defender Julius James' hard foul on Dominic Oduro. However, USSF referee supervisor Paul Tamberino said that "personnel got between them before anything happened. According to [the referees], it was more than just a friendly handshake."

Kinnear was not fined beyond the automatic $500 for being ejected.

Reacting today, Olsen said: "I don't want to get into a back-and-forth with them -- it's not important to me, it's over, it's done. But I know what happened. It's silly to even talk about it. I don't go shake hands with people I have animosity towards. I have always respected Dom. We have always had a close relationship. The whole thing was ridiculous, and the fact that I can't sit on the sidelines this weekend is beyond me, but these are the rules when you are ejected."

For more.....

The former tenacious midfielder continued: "I have done things in this league that I have deserved red cards. I have raised my hand and said, 'Yup, I know what a red card is, I know what a suspension is, and I should've gotten one.' I am being fined for comments I made [to the officials] after I was thrown out, and I absolutely deserve that fine for my reaction. I've got to watch my mouth. I'm new to this."

MLS apparently did not take issue with Olsen's comments to reporters suggesting that referees should start holding news conferences to explain their decisions.

By Steve Goff  | September 30, 2010; 12:54 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United, MLS  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday kickaround: MLS roundup, Americans abroad, college soccer, TV listings
Next: D.C. United news & notes: Andy Najar, Rodney Wallace, Barry Rice, assistant coaches, trialists, no TV for Colorado match

Comments

it's not important to me, it's over, it's done.
===========

Posted by: OWNTF | September 30, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I hope I can figure out some way to have him aid me in raising my future children.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 30, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 30, 2010 1:26 PM |
------------

If nothing more he can at least give them tips in proper facial hair maintenance.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 30, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Salt in the open wound.

Posted by: Reignking | September 30, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"personnel got between them before >>a hug

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | September 30, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"The former tenacious midfielder" should read "The tenacious former midfielder". He's clearly still possess one of the two characteristics...

Posted by: marcool | September 30, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Jozy starting with Rossi today!

Posted by: Reignking | September 30, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@ Reignking

Thanks for the good news! It's nice to hear stuff like this especially after reading the garbage MLS fine for Ben. I am so sick of MLS and its piss poor corrupt officiating it is unbelievable.

Posted by: no_recess | September 30, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I say we fine the CR and the 1st AR $1250 each for conduct unbecoming the sport . . . because if they'd called a match that had a balanced level of play, the sideline event would probably not have occurred.

I understand that Match Officials must exercise their judgment, but that should not be an excuse for the league (or the USSF) to continue to accept repeated bad, slow, or biased judgment, or worse yet, sheer indecision.

Posted by: edmundburke247 | September 30, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I do have a problem with not only soccer referees, but officials in any sport, not having to be held accountable for their actions/reactions as well.

Posted by: AsstGM | September 30, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AsstGM | September 30, 2010 5:18 PM

=====================

Sorry, but what on earth makes people think that officials are not held accountable for their performance? The USSF has a highly structured systems for evaluating the performance of referees, which exists even at lower levels and (IIRC) involves review of every game at the national level. Officials are under a great deal of scrutiny from their peers and superiors, and when it is appropriate they are penalized or even disciplined.

As one example of the latter, see last year's Soccer Insider piece here:

Posted by: janspoor | October 1, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Apparently something about the interface here doesn't like links, but it was a 1 September 2009 article entitled "3 MLS Refs Done for Season".

Posted by: janspoor | October 1, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse