Hope Solo out 5-6 months with shoulder injury

Hope Solo, the starting goalkeeper for the U.S. women's national team, will be sidelined five to six months with a shoulder ailment that requires surgery, the U.S. Soccer Federation announced Friday.

Solo will miss the World Cup qualifying tournament in Mexico, which begins Oct. 28 in Mexico (Cancun and Playa del Carmen). Even without her, the United States is heavily favored to earn one of CONCACAF's two automatic berths in the German-hosted event next summer. Gold Pride's Nicole Barnhart, the WPS goalie of the year this season, is the top candidate to start.

"I've been having some painful issues with the shoulder for a while, and for a goalkeeper, it's been difficult physically and mentally to play with this kind of an injury, so it was time to get it taken care of," Solo said. "I know I'm in the best hands [with famed surgeon James Andrews] and I plan on working diligently on my rehab to get back to 100 percent. In the meantime, I know my teammates will get us to the World Cup and I can't wait to join them next spring."

Solo was also in the news early this week for posting controversial comments on her Twitter account. WPS suspended her for one league match, fined her $2,500 and ordered her to perform community service.

By Steve Goff  |  September 17, 2010; 3:14 PM ET
Categories:  Women  | Tags: U.S. women's soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video/poll: Thierry Henry incident vs. FC Dallas
Next: U.S. national team to play friendly vs. South Africa on Nov. 17 in Cape Town

Comments

I'm taking the liberty of reposting an item that I posted to an earlier thread. Apparently Solo is not the only Atlantan who is in the news for all the wrong reasons:

Posted by: universityandpark | September 17, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I hope her surgery turns out OK, otherwise she'll rip her surgeon for doing a bad job and the USSF for rigging the surgery so that Barnhart will start at WWC11.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 17, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to learn that Solo has been in pain and I wish her a speedy recovery. Bachmann's antics in the video are distasteful, and there is no need for her to be such a drama queen. She's a good player and should just play the game!

Posted by: 10bestfan | September 17, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Same guy that did Hamid's shoulder right? I guess he does everybody's shoulder in every sport.

Good chance to see what Barnhart will bring internationally.

Could set up an interesting dynamic upon Solo's return a few months before the Cup.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 17, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Hope can stay on the bench and then be named starter for the semi-final game.

Posted by: jmingus | September 17, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

DC United needs to sign this gal up....

Posted by: fischy | September 17, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Breaking News... "World Cup" tweets that the Hope Solo "injury" is actually a conspiracy against her. A fake Hope Solo who is actually not from Togo at all will undergo surgery instead.

Posted by: WorldCup | September 17, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Solo, meet Karma. She's a real......

Posted by: stwasm | September 18, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

WWC is about 9 months away, don't be so GD glib.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 18, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse