Liverpool supporters take aim at club's American owners by reaching out to U.S. media

Some Liverpool supporters are so upset with the state of their beloved club, they have begun a mass e-mail campaign directed at hundreds of U.S. reporters with wide-ranging beats. They want us, in the media, to take up their cause against the club's American owners. We feel your pain, lads.

Dear USA Media Executive/Outlet:
We gave you THE BEATLES and this is how you repay us? What happened to the 'Special Relationship' between the US and the UK?
Are you aware of how Tom Hicks is driving our beloved Liverpool Football Club into the ground? How would you like it if a British "businessman" came over to the USA and destroyed the New York Yankees. Or the LA Lakers. Or the Washington Redskins?
Well, we are living Wayne Huizenga and the Florida Marlins all over again! Please Google "Tom Hicks + Liverpool" to see what an embarrassment he is to the USA.
We would be grateful if you could help us by reporting our story in order that me might persuade Wall Street NOT to lend him the money he is currently trying to raise, to drive our football team into even more debt and despair.
Sorry about the mass email approach but we have tried everything else, and we feel like we are at the end of the road.
Thanks in anticipation
Fans of Liverpool Football Club.

By Steve Goff  | September 23, 2010; 1:34 PM ET
Categories:  England  | Tags:  Liverpool
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United news & notes: Boskovic, trialists, stats
Next: U.S. World Cup bid committee offers new video

Comments

That's not fair. An American businessman has destroyed the Redskins just as well as any Brit could, thank you very much.

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, would absolutely love it.

Posted by: BooThisMan | September 23, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Dang! ReignKing already has hit that softball out of the stadium.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 23, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

In any other country, Hicks would be an embarrassment to the US, but in Britain, I'm not sure that's possible...

Posted by: glfrazier | September 23, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm willing to let them keep Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 23, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Here is their distribution list. Steve might not be able to help, so they also sent it to Glenn Beck and Don Imus.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 23, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Liverpudlians are more than welcome to drive MLB's and NBA's Evil Empires (Y*nk**s and L*k*rs) into the ground.

The Skins? Not so much! How about the C*wb*ys instead? :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 23, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

So they are saying that there has never been a British enterprise that has come over here and exploited a group of people who support a cause

yep.. playing the revolution card my brothers in arms

fists up

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | September 23, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Not going to win me over with "how would you like it if a Brit destroyed the Skins, Yankees and Lakers" argument...because I would absolutely love it!!! In fact, if LFC supporters send a Brit to do that, they will get every bit of assistance I can offer in getting Hicks out of England. Besides I am enjoying watching my Liverpool friends squirm for now.

Posted by: asocrlovr | September 23, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Reading the comments section of that link is eve funnier. These people take themselves waaaaay too seriously. I wonder if any of them have sat the A-levels yet.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 23, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

A better solution would be for a REAL America bizhero to buy out Hicks and demonstrate that we do have some CLASS on the global pitch. Liverpool FC could become America's fan favorite...a few Yank pups breaking into the XI would capture our attention and our wallets. Profitability is possible - probable with a strong youth system raising up the next StevieG's. Especially if the USA youth system was a major contributor?

Brits are gonna face a new owner eventually - either from the East or West. Paul Allen, Mark Cuban, or _______ could make it work. Jerry Jones?

Liverpool is an intriguing investment, am I wrong?

Posted by: oneborntwice | September 23, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

My only problem with Hicks is that he didn't do it to Manchester United instead of Liverpool. Otherwise fail away good chap.

Posted by: mcontento | September 23, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I love me some Liverpool, but really, referencing The Beatles?

I mean, talk about the most over-hyped group in the history of music.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 23, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, I'll make you a deal. I'll get you the magnet sched and a beer coozie in exchange for a bubble mailer with some Cali Medicinal j's sent to my mailing address....:)

Posted by: DadRyan | September 22, 2010 4:04 PM
---------

Well what'd you want me to do is mail it in some peanut butter instead of just some bubble-wrapped mailer. That way the dogs can't smell it.

Also, maybe you'd prefer some "special" brownies/cookies/edibles. Get the job done much more efficiently than any medical j's will. Plus the effects will last much longer.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 23, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW, haven't WE as the Insider faithful walked a quarter-mile in their shoes?? The comment section have long bemoaned Will Chang and his diminishing returns....

To say they take themselves TOO seriously is...mmmm

There is a lot more at stake for the City of Liverpool than for DC.

Posted by: oneborntwice | September 23, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

oneborntwice, I dunno about a quarter-mile but......

But I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles
To fall down at Will Changs door

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 23, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe they could send a Brit business man over to ruin the Gulf of Mexico. Oh wait, they already did that....

Posted by: fcrapidan | September 23, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I love it when the Brits mention the "special relationship" between our countries. This concept exists only in Britain. Over here, we'll use them or not use them as needed (best recent example: Bush, Blair, and Iraq).

Having said that: Robert Green is definitely my favorite Englishman these days.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | September 23, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I think BP (BRITISH PETROLIUM) has more than made up for anything a US enterprise could have done to a soccer team.

Posted by: DCUinCT | September 23, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, would absolutely love it.

Posted by: BooThisMan | September 23, 2010 1:49 PM
------------------------------------------------

I'm with Boo on this one...

Posted by: fischy | September 23, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

We are sympathetic to your plight, but Tom Hicks didn't miss his penalties against Northampton Town, and Tom Hicks didn't let the ball roll through his legs against Arsenal... or did he?

Posted by: IamAM | September 23, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Besides -- those Liverpool fans should be delighted that an American is bankrupting Manchester United. It's only a matter of time before they follow Liverpool into oblivion, right?

Posted by: fischy | September 23, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fcrapidan | September 23, 2010 2:51 PM |
---------------------------------------------------------------

Boom goes the dynamite....

Posted by: fischy | September 23, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the EPL should have a salary cap.

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

How would we like it if an English business came over and destroyed an entire coastline in the Gulf of Mexico.

Posted by: CAD2 | September 23, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

If they thinkHicks is bad, they've forgotten Wallis (Warfield Simpson), Duchess of Windsor.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 23, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I actually find the tone of this letter to be a bit belligerent and don't think it would really make anyone want to help them.

Also, I don't get the "Wayne Huizenga and the Florida Marlins" reference. I assume most Americans would though?

Posted by: gasdorian | September 23, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather walk alone.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | September 23, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Huizenga took a young, champion Marlins and sold off most of the big pieces that brought their championship. The team succeeded in going from first to last-place the very next year, the only team to lose 100 games the year after winning the World Series. After the disastrous 1998 season, Huizenga sold the team. The assumption was the "fire sale" was intended to remove big salary liabilities that made the team harder to sell. Presumably, something similar is going on with Liverpool right now, as Hicks needs to get some money out of a sale of the team -- a team with so much debt it seems unlikely that anyone would offer more than paying off or assuming that debt.

Posted by: fischy | September 23, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

June 6, 1944 and running up piles of debt. It's just what Americans do. Sometimes ya gotta take the good with the bad. So put that in yer pipe and smoke it, Eng'erland.

Posted by: benonthehill | September 23, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 23, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I love me some Liverpool, but really, referencing The Beatles?

I mean, talk about the most over-hyped group in the history of music.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 23, 2010 2:34 PM
______________________________________

I suspect there are few rock musicians, inluding your favorites, whoever they might be, who would agree with you.

Posted by: universityandpark | September 23, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

"It always better when the English run their own companies, like Jaguar and Rolls Royce. Oh, nevermind."

BP

If the scousers want to help clean up the Gulf then maybe the citizens of the USA would be willing to wage a protest against Hicks and Gillett to sell. Until then, enjoy the bottom of the table boys.

Posted by: peridigm | September 23, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

What, pray tell, would we do? Wall Street will invest if it's a good investment. Free enterprise works that way. Like Gordon Gekko 1.0 said after being asked why he wrecked Blue Star, "Because it was wreckable!" I think their efforts are laudable but very much in vain.

Posted by: bdwooton | September 23, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Hicks and company are driving my favorite club into the ground.

Sad deal.

Posted by: mbhowa | September 23, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

They're still ticked off that our grandfathers were having a field day with their women during WWII.

Posted by: Hoost | September 23, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Good for them. As an American Liverpool supporter, its just sad to see what Hicks and Gillett have done to such an amazing club. The fall of LFC is like watching DCU these last few yrs except worse. If the club has to go to administration to get rid of these two clowns then so be it.

YNWA

Posted by: mkbf26 | September 23, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

What happened to the 'Special Relationship' between the US and the UK?

Just ask President Barack "El Commandante" Obama.

Posted by: JosephDHippolito | September 24, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

El Commandante? Really? Why don't you just call him a little "faggy"? Or, call him Sheik Obama? Maybe Comrade Obama?

This kind of juvenile, disconnected from reality crap is why normal people make fun of you troglodytes.

Posted by: fischy | September 24, 2010 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Elitist, Fascist, Socialist, Royalist, Communist, secret Muslim and, according to Gingrich, anti-colonial ideologue.

That last one's my favorite. Like that's supposed to be an insult or criticism. I guess if you subscribe to white superiority, then you might have a problem with someone who thinks Africans should govern themselves. I thought this country's fathers believed in anti-colonial ideology. George Washington. Barack Obama. All of a sudden, it's a bad thing?

Posted by: fischy | September 24, 2010 2:40 AM | Report abuse

Firstly just because BP still stands for British petroleum doesn't mean it's British and secondly the American peoples desire for oil with huge gas guzzling cars have to take some responsibility for the oil spill.
American oil company never had an oil slick???? Did you care NO??

Right let's get down to Mr HIcks control of the most successful football club in English football, when Mr HIcks took over we had a modest debt of 4 million pounds debt now stands at around 400 million pounds.

It should be known that Liverpool football club is more than a soccer franchise it's a community and a family that has been around for 118 years.
When your local community comes under seige your natural instinct is to protect it by any means necessary,but this Texan has raped and pillaged our great club by placing massive amounts of debt to line his own pockets.
The thing is when people lie to us and about us, the family and community mentality in us protects what we have just google the sun newspaper and Liverpool football club to find out what family and community does.

The original letter was our attempt of a little humour with the beatles comment, never mind us Brits having a sense of humour us scousers are better equipped.

Liverpool football club is our church in our community help us and You'll Never Walk Alone

Kopchoir

Posted by: Kopchoir | September 24, 2010 6:36 AM | Report abuse

You gave us ronald reagan..he was a better actor when he was president

Posted by: hicksout | September 24, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

You gave us ronald reagan he was a better actor when he was president

Posted by: hicksout | September 24, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Whoa fischy. There wasn't anything racist or homophobic in that comment. Cut back on the coffee amigo (I know you've been boycotting tea).

kopchoir: no-one is disputing what Hicks has done to Liverpool's finances and what other owners (American and European) have done to other big clubs. But it's unrealistic to think that spamming the American media will get you anything but ridicule. Heck, Glenn Beck might advocate for more people like Tom Hicks to destroy soccer.

And I like the Beatles, especially George - the talented one.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 24, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

As a Liverpool fan who is also passionate about baseball and football (your version as opposed to soccer) let me make it clear that we are not opposed to American investment in our sport - Randy Lerner is regarded as an enlightened owner at Aston Villa Football Club, who has not saddled the club with millions of dollars of debt, but has spent what he can afford.

Reignking, most soccer fans (and club owners) would love a salary cap; sadly soccer's world governing body, FIFA, will not fight for an exemption under European employment laws to allow one to be introduced.

peridigm, we are no more happy with what happened in the Gulf of Mexico than you, and if Liverpool had a history of working in the oil industry I'm sure, given the levels of unemployment in the City, our guys would willingly help clean up the oil spill, but if you bother with facts, and check your racism in at the door, you would know that BP is not a British company (thanks to Margaret "The Witch" Thatcher; the majority shareholders are the Royal Family of Dubai, and AN AMERICAN PENSION FUND. Whoops, don't you look dumb now!

We are asking our friends in America to bring whatever pressure they can, through their pension funds, whatever, to ensure that Hicks does not get the refinancing to continue his ownership of our club beyond October.

We've lost thousands of our troops thanks to Dubya and Blair's illegal invasion of Iraq, you can at least give us something minor in return!

YNWA

Posted by: timothymullen | September 24, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: timothymullen
==========

Well, that puts it all in perspective now.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 24, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 24, 2010 7:33 A

------------------------------------------------

I didn't suggest it was homophobic. I just think it was in line -- of a kind with the juvenile criticisms you see on the internet, in or out of politics. Someone used "faggy" on SBI earlier this week. It's the same mentality to me. The same mindlessness you might expect from a 12-year old.

As for racist --"El Commandante"? Did Bill Clinton ever get called that? Jimmy Carter? Don't tell me it's not racist. That said, I was only calling Newt Gingrich racist, and anyone who might agree with his comment about Obama and "ante-colonial ideology" he somehow "inherited" from the father he barely knew.

Posted by: fischy | September 24, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I-270Exit 1, thank you for your comments.

fischy, if you think that calling a president "El Commandante" is racist, then you don't know what racism really is. Racism is the belief that one's ethnic backround overrides any and all other factors...such as values, talent, opinions and behavior. In that regard, your apparently "liberal" friends are far more racist than the average American.

I find "El Commandante" appropriate for our current President because of his arrogant, overbearing manner and his quasi-leftist political philosophy...both of which he shares with a lot of people who have no African heritage.

Who's really the 12-year-old here, fischy?

Posted by: JosephDHippolito | September 24, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

**** me, ****face. I am so sick of you people.

Posted by: spidergoose | September 24, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

**** me, ****face. I am so sick of you people.

Posted by: spidergoose
-----------------------------

You got the e-mail, too?

Posted by: stig1 | September 27, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Hi All, Read your comments with interest now lets make one thing clear as a scouser and a life long LIVERPOOL fan who goes to the games and supports his team with passion, our fans were asking for your help as a last resort, to help us get rid of a pair of lying american cowboys. But some of the comments on the site are pathetic. Firstly why bring the war into it, we were well on the way to winning it on our own! Do you remember vietnam, we were not involved and look what happened you could not handle it without us. Your Quest for big fast cars is the major cause of the BP oil spill and dont try to tell me no yanks are involved with BP cause we all know they are.
I could go on all night but i am not that petty just help publisise our plight because i for one dont belive that all americans are lying tossers only a few!
Many thanks we will never walk alone

Posted by: cubbo | September 29, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse