Matchnight: D.C. United at L.A. Galaxy

To get you ready for tonight's match between D.C. United, the MLS club with the least points, and the Los Angeles Galaxy, the league's points leader, at Home Depot Center......

*Read my story about Santino Quaranta's evolving leadership role.

*Check out the match preview from The Post's DCU fan-blogger.

Kickoff: 10:30 p.m. ET.
TV: Fox Soccer Channel.

DCU LINEUP: Perkins; Graye, James, Jakovic, Zayner; Najar, King, Morsink, Quaranta; Hernandez, Allsopp. Subs: Harrison, McTavish, Simms, Boskovic, Varela, Carreiro.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame observations are welcome.

By Steve Goff  | September 18, 2010; 9:33 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Former U.S. World Cup player Tony Sanneh credited with an assist in Pakistan relief effort
Next: Video: Capuano's 35-yard volley vs. AC Milan

Comments

Vamos United!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 18, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

It's curious that our DP, back now for over a week from Nat. team duty, doesn't start.

Posted by: b18bolo | September 18, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

For those DC United fans in Flagstaff, AZ currently, viewing party at the Pay 'n Take at 8 West Aspen Ave. It's cash only. Haha it will be one other fellow insider and I. It's not good to watch DC alone lol

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 18, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

how many more chances does Allsopp get?

Posted by: fedssocr | September 18, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Stream, anyone? I don't get FSC in my hotel...

Posted by: kdiff813 | September 18, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chashardy | September 18, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or does Quaranta ever go in for a challenge?

Posted by: RRP1 | September 18, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I think Hernandez is a keeper.

Posted by: RRP1 | September 18, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Hernandez has played well. We have Bo attack except from najar. Maybe boskovic????

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 18, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the typos, this viewing party is off the hook!! Haha (do people still use that phrase?)

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 18, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I realize I've missed a couple of recent wins (Philly, TFC), but this is the best I've seen DCU play this year. They can't score, but they're dangerous. I like it. And Perkins has looked fantastic -- maybe better and more confident than I've seen him before. That''s a great sign, along with the exciting play through Hernandez.

Let's see what Boscovic can do here in the second half of this game.

Posted by: fischy | September 18, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 18, 2010 11:28 PM
_________________________________________

That phrase is used with some frequency by the Food Network's Guy Fieri, who has been known to haunt Flagstaff:

Posted by: universityandpark | September 18, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Ach, Chris Sullivan giving KP and Kasper credit for Najar...but say nothing about all the cruddy personnel choices they've made over the last several years

Posted by: sec133row5 | September 18, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

GOAL!DC... UNITED!

Posted by: papasteve_z | September 19, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

NANDY NAJAR GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 19, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Quaranta is worthless

Posted by: RRP1 | September 19, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

God, if we could just go after the gorram goal!

Posted by: sec133row5 | September 19, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

That pretty much sums up this season for D.C.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 19, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

No, wait, that sums it up better. Bury the ball.

And then that. Wow.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 19, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

We were paying better and had our chances. They had two or three and scored two. We got a little lazy and made only one. Does Q know how to shoot? Boskovic? Argh.

Posted by: RRP1 | September 19, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Two very unlikely LD goals for the choke...

Posted by: Reignking | September 19, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Ha! FSC tells us Luciano Emilio set to enter. Thought I'd never see that name again.

Posted by: benonthehill | September 19, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

I don't see how they are blaming Jakovic on the 2nd goal. That is Jordan Graye 100% not paying attention. So frustrating because we played really well for most of this match. Where has all this off the ball running been all year?

Posted by: fedssocr | September 19, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Quaranta - please explain to me why you, the LEAST skilled soccer player on the team, are the captain. You can't dribble. you can't cross. your free kicks go straight into the wall. I can't WAIT till you get CUT from this team.

Boscovic. We sign him as a DP, he would ride the pine on ANY other team in MLS and half the teams in USL-2. WHAT A USELESS DUD.

Jackovic - horrible defender. otherwise pretty average.

Ben Olsen. Our INTERIM coach can't coach.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 19, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Those last 10 minutes really saved my fantasy league bacon. My play-whoever-plays-DCU strategy has got me to the top of the table, but it almost bit me in the butt tonight.

Posted by: benonthehill | September 19, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Frustrating.

Send Boskovic back to Montenegro.

I like what I see from Hernandez, though heck, he gets fouled a lot.

I hate losing to Donovan and Arena. Especially after outplaying them for 80 minutes.

Posted by: Cerealman | September 19, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Poor coaching.

Posted by: alan19 | September 19, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Jakovic is just plain too soft. Again.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | September 19, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr | September 19, 2010 12:27 AM

agreed. I think Graye is an ok prospect, but he wouldn't make the gameday bench of any other team in the League (which is more an issue of DCU's depth). No excuse for letting Donovan have that 2nd goal. He cant ever seem to just do his job for 90 mins without a complete mental error. He is not a keeper. DCU should protect Burch, McT, or Zayner over him in the offseason.

not sure why the venom for Q. He had a solid game on the wing. its not his job to score the goals, its Alsopp and Pablo's, and both suck at it. Q made some nice runs, and made some great final 3rd passes, and got NOTHING from the forwards. He and Najar were the only true bright spots on the night.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 19, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

What's there to say? The best player on the field did what he usually does to United. They have no answer for Donovan.

The defense, as ever, made the key blunders that cost the game. Yet, Hernandez and Boscovic needed to better with those opportunities in the second half. Ricketts made great saves, but better shots would have been unstoppable. I like Hernandez on the ball -- he and Quaranta can be very exciting, but don't shoot well enough to score when they have the chance.

I know the announcers talked up Allsopp, but I think a more skilled and faster forward would have made the difference in burying LA earlier.

A game United should have won, but at least one that was fun to watch, for once.

Posted by: fischy | September 19, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | September 19, 2010 12:31 AM

you really should save your breath. KP, DK, and Benny love Q (as do a lot of fans). hes not going anywhere, nor should he, as he isnt the problem with this team.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 19, 2010 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Did Olsen tell Boskovic to roll the ball to Ricketts? I missed that.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 19, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | September 19, 2010 12:48 AM

seriously. how many times was he played through balls tonight that were within a step or two of him that he just couldn't get to? 4? I guess there isn't really another option at this point, but his lack of pace makes him pretty much worthless when hes paired up with Pablo.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 19, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Jackovic - horrible defender. otherwise pretty average.

Ben Olsen. Our INTERIM coach can't coach.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 19, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Like to overreact a bit much?

Yes, Quaranta is a bit maddening. But he was instrumental in our one goal tonight. Without his run into the box and layoff, we probably lose this game 3-0. Still, we can do better at that position with a player who does more dirty work.

Boscovic did a lot of great combination work with Hernandez and Najar. He doesn't seem to have an explosive first step, though. And that's a huge negative on give and goes. He missed out on a few golden opportunities to open up L.A.'s defense in the second half.

Donovan's first goal I'll put squarely on Simms' shoulders. He ran straight into Jakovic and then just stood there while Jakovic flailed at the ball off balance. His work in the previous 81 or so minutes was great.

I will say that Olsen made a mistake subbing Allsopp out and shitfing into a 4-5-1. That first goal was a product of too many players in the center of the field and they tripped over each other while Donovan is the lucky recipient. Allsopp also didn't appear to be gassed and was still making good runs off the ball and opening up spaces. With Hernandez as the loan striker, we somehow managed to lose the midfield battle despite having numbers. I think this, partly, had to do with who Olsen had to work with, though -- two players who haven't played a game in MLS yet, uh McTavish and then Simms.

Boscovic HAS to put away a golden opportunity like that. You can't half-ass a shot in any league. He needed to bury that ball with authority.

Hernandez had a golden opportunity earlier in the half as well. And instead of taking it with his right foot as Ricketts was still shuffling into position, he pushed it back over to his left and telegraphed where he was going.

We need players who can finish with either foot. It makes a huge difference.

Still, this game was there for the taking and they choked it away. To those who say there's a huge, cavernous gap in talent level, I don't know. United looked pretty damn good in possession and pushed one of the best teams in MLS to the limit -- I'd give Olsen a lot of credit for that.

I say a deadly finisher and a good, experienced RB and this team will be right in the thick of things.

Morsink, especially, had a good game.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | September 19, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

re: "Like to overreact a bit much?"

Apparently you don't think so msnake77, especially since you proceeded to so eloquently agree with and expand upon everything I said.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 19, 2010 1:15 AM | Report abuse

No one writing on this really knows anything about soccer. The clear problem is scoring goals

Posted by: mannyfresh | September 23, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse