Matchnight: D.C. United vs. Houston Dynamo

Greetings from RFK Stadium. August heat. Pregame youth matches on the field. D.C. Rollergirls (Scare Force One! D.C. Demoncats! Cherry Blossom Bombshells!) promoting the start of their league at the neighboring Armory by skating around the stadium grounds. The TD Bank mascot (with an oversized, lime-green trapezoid head. No, it is not United's new reserve keeper). Two worst clubs in MLS. Yes, RFK is the place to be.

Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. ET.
TV: Comcast SportsNet/DC, Direct Kick.

Alumni news: Fred scored for Philadelphia today in a 3-0 victory over Chivas USA. Carey Talley, sent to New York for a second-round draft pick 10 days ago, injured a hamstring 40 minutes into his Red Bulls debut Friday and will probably be sidelined at least a week.

DCU: Perkins; McTavish, Jakovic, James, Zayner; Najar, Morsink, Boskovic, Quaranta; Hernandez, Allsopp. Subs: Harrison, Graye, Simms, King, Varela, Junior, Moreno.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame observations are welcome.

Andy Najar's goal:
Get Microsoft Silverlight

By Steve Goff  | September 25, 2010; 5:56 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Michael Bradley's goal for Moenchengladbach vs. Schalke in Bundesliga
Next: D.C. United rewind: 3-1 loss to Houston Dynamo

Comments

RFK will always be the place to be for me, even if we suck. I still enjoy putting on the jersey and walking up to that dumpy stadium.

Posted by: DCB23 | September 25, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

See maybe it isn't all DC's fault that players get hamstring injuries....

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 25, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

....or is it?

Posted by: nairbsod | September 25, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I am so in for rollergirls. Gotta check out a roller athlete named Ob**chuary, right? Maybe Gabarr can make a center back out of her.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 25, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

"Whip It" is a fun movie full of great rollergirl names.

Najar in the 25th. Kid is good, kiiiid issss goooood.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 25, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

NAJARASSSSOOO

Posted by: the_slammer | September 25, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Damn MAtch Day Live sucks ass, they never play a game when I want to see it. Anyone have an on-line link to the DC game?

Posted by: Lot8Date | September 25, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: apqjr | September 25, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks apqjr!! Cheers...

Posted by: Lot8Date | September 25, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: apqjr | September 25, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Great Goal.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 25, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Quaranta has been dangerous tonight but has the shooting boots of over enthused high school sophomore.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 25, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Fire the Refs, we were robbed!

(DC goal by Allsopp called back for offsides. Replays show he was on)

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 25, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Control of play, tenuous one-goal lead, squandered close-in chances . . .

We've seen this movie before. C'mon, United.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 25, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Completely dominating this game and creating numerous chances. Naturally DC United concedes a comical own goal. 1-1.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 25, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Houston free kick which is headed in by Jeff Cameroon. What a collapse at the back. 2-1 Dynamo.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 25, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Preki could clean this ADD stuff up.

Posted by: Kosh2 | September 25, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Somebody tell Kevin to tell Allston to tell Benny to put Jaime in P L E A S E ! !

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | September 25, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Good for Ben. Just got ejected for having words with Kinnear (also ejected). Issue surrounds a terrible no call on a foul against Quaranta and then a yellow, probably deserved, by a foul from James.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 25, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Pat Onstead with a clear case of concussion. Took about 45 seconds for anyone to realize he was moving like Ricky Hatton after Floyd Mayweather got to him.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 25, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Those things to stop a bloody nose always scared me.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 25, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Ok so Onstad is hurt get him off the damn field.

Posted by: Lot8Date | September 25, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Somebody tell Kevin to tell Allston to tell Kelderman to put Jaime in P L E A S E ! !

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | September 25, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

3-1 Houston. Oduro with a breakaway goal. I think it is official,we are the worst MLS team of all time. The good news? Andy Najar.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 25, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Well that's pretty much the way of things for us right about now. Oh well, things can only get better, right? I mean they have to, right?

Posted by: Kosh2 | September 25, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

OUCH...shoulda put Jaime in...I'm just sayin'

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | September 25, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I dont think Jaime couldnt have done anything on this one.
13k for the attendance thats only going to get worst. Im expecting 10k for the lowest...taking bets! taking bets! taking bets!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 25, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

They were spot on until minute 65 far as I could tell and even when they were down I thought they had a chance. Jaime is retiring, let the young ones in. What is the point in putting in Moreno?

Boskovic had an amazing little sequence around 35th minute. I have hope for next season.

Posted by: DCB23 | September 25, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

WOW!

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | September 25, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

this team certainly is consistent!

I can't believe Najar will stick around long on with this group of "players". How many chances does the kid have to create for Allsopp and Hernandez to miss? If I were him I'd take the first decent offer that comes my way.

Posted by: fedssocr | September 25, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

this team certainly is consistent!

Posted by: fedssocr | September 25, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

It's sad when I don't really get too mad anymore.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 25, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy Ben didn't put Jaime in. He wouldn't have done any good, and I got to see Varela and Junior for the first time. they will be with the team next year. Jaime won't.

Posted by: b18bolo | September 25, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I think the rest of the world knows Najar can't play more than 65 minutes at this level, so sleep tight.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 25, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Three biggest (positive) crowd reactions of the night: Najar's fine goal, the goal that was called back before it was called back and Benny walking to the tunnel. That pretty much sums it up.

Posted by: ldmay | September 25, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I knew we would lose when I saw the AR chatting it up with the Houston staff during warm-ups. He should have been warming-up so that he would at least be in position to make a correct Offside call . . . instead of just making them up.

Posted by: carnack | September 25, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

One thing I can say for certain is that Seattle had Roller Derby really rolling long before they were sniffing it here. Eff the Flounders anyway.

When I left that town I never imagined it would be possible that the Sonics would straight up stop playing at Key Arena and move to Oklahoma of all places, but factor in the fact that Roller Derby is THE thing to go to the Key these days for is incredible....

Hey if United gets moved to Baltimore, perhaps the DC Roller Girls could take over the lease at RFK and host the Balmer' Girls? I'd got to that, but you might have to throw in a tractor pull for me and Ron16 though. I'll bring a keg...

Posted by: DadRyan | September 25, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what I saw tonight. My brain really cannot comprehend it. I bought season tickets to see professional soccer, and this wasn't professional.

For 60-65 minutes, the only thing professional level about the Dynamo were all the g-dd-mned professional fouls. For the last half-hour there wasn't anything professional about how DC United played. And the refs??!!!?? The #@#$%&* refs?? THere are games when the refs blow one or two big calls, and then there are the rare gems when the refs get it pretty much all wrong, from start to finish. This was mostly the latter category. Professional? If MLS doesn't fix this stuff, I"m freakin' done...outta here.

I hate to blame the refs, when DCU still blew chances to put it away and then staged what might be their most memorable collapse yet. It's an old, tired tale, and I'm sick of paying to watch DC dominate games for the first 60, 70 or even 80 minutes and still find a way to lose. Even more, though, I'm sick of watching rank amateurs -- not even good amateurs -- try to pass for professional refs.

The scoreboard didn't show a decent replay, but I was pretty sure Allsopp was onside for his rebound goal. In fact, I'm pretty sure the AR ahd no clue and just guessed because he didn't even see Allsopp until after Ostad gave up the rebound

That wasn't even the worst offside call. There were at least two that were even more blatantly bad. THe worst was the in the first half. A long ball came at Allsopp on the left flank. Allsopp definitely came back from an offside position. THe thing is he knew it, an let the ball go through to Najar (I think it was Najar, but my memory might be failing me). Najar was onside by at least 5 yards when the ball was played. Yet , the AR put up his flag. I don't know if he wasn't seeing it right, whether he thought Allsopp played the ball, or whether he doesn't know the rules..

THe ref wasn't much better -- constantly warning the Dynamo about their Paul Bunyan imitations, and then handing out yellows like candy to United every time a Dynamo player started rolling on the ground. I don't know -- maybe he just saves his yellow cards for the second half, instead of trying to be consistent.

I'm seriously considering not renewing my tix. DCU needs to put out a more professional team, and MLS needs to acknowledge they have to find a way to identify and develop better refs. Tonight's display was utterly despicable.

Posted by: fischy | September 25, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

We should have gone up 2-0 and spared ourselves this misery, and maybe we even did with Allsopp. But one way or another, we hardly ever get two goals, so there's plenty of opportunity for misery. That said, I liked (in addition to Najar) Hernandez, Boskovic, Quaranta (for work rate, not for ball-blasting), James, Jakovic, and Perkins (whose fault this wasn't), and would keep all of them in the first 11 (while Hamid develops). Allsopp's problem is not that he doesn't work hard, it's that he will never be a guy who scores 12 goals a season, which is what we need. Of course he'd have had a tap-in if Najar had fed him the ball rather than shooting, yet I'm glad Najar didn't. We need someone to be excited about.

As for the referees, players and coaches don't get that worked up in the absence of seriously inconsistent and/or bad calls.

Posted by: dccal | September 25, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

wow - more crazy officiating. RSL plays a ball through the box where it hits Marvell Wynne's moving arm. The ref points to the spot - tough break for Colorado, but it appears to be the correct call. Colorado goes nuts, prompting the ref to go talk it over with the AR, and he then reverses the call and awards a drop ball. How do you reverse a PK call? But then RSL ties it up with seconds left anyhow on a night with a full house and awesome environment in Rio Tinto.

Posted by: foul_throw | September 26, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dccal | September 25, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Did you actually write that with a straight face?

Posted by: icehippo | September 26, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse