Thursday kickaround: Whitecaps coach, Petke's retirement, SuperLiga, WPS playoff race, college oddity, TV listings

*As expected, the Vancouver Whitecaps will retain Teitur Thordarson as head coach when they enter MLS next season.

*Following the departure of Ben Olsen last fall and Clint Mathis this summer, MLS will lose another colorful character at the end of the season with the retirement of defender Mike Petke, who helped D.C. United win MLS Cup in 2004 and spent the beginning and end of his 13-year career in New York. Remember this Petke moment?

*Mexican club Morelia defeated the New England Revolution, 2-1, in the final of the SuperLiga. And when I say final, I mean both the championship game and hopefully the last version of this event ever.

*The Washington Freedom received help in its WPS playoff push when Sky Blue conceded a late equalizer for a 1-1 draw with first-place Gold Pride. With two matches remaining for each club in the chase for the last postseason berth, the Freedom leads Sky Blue by two points. Attendance in New Jersey: 3,412 -- one more than the turnout at RFK Stadium for D.C. United's critical U.S. Open Cup affair.

*George Mason University opened its season in peculiar fashion: The Patriots conceded a penalty kick after just 12 seconds to fall behind, received a red card in the 14th minute ... and then scored three times in the last 33 minutes to defeat George Washington, 3-1, at the D.C. College Cup. Host American U. routed Howard, 3-0.

*Soccer on TV:
Copa Sudamericana, Velez Sarsfield-Banfield 6:30 p.m. ET, Fox Sports Espanol

Copa Sudamericana, Olimpia-Defensor 9 p.m. FSE

I'll post the complete weekend listings later today.

By Steve Goff  |  September 2, 2010; 9:48 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , Freedom , MLS , SuperLiga , TV , Women  | Tags: MLS, SuperLiga, WPS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United falls to Columbus Crew, 2-1, in overtime in U.S. Open Cup semifinals
Next: Weekend soccer TV listings: European Championship qualifiers, friendly, MLS, Mexico, South America, WPS, NCAA

Comments

Now that the international transfer window is closed, are all the American internationals settled? I saw that DeMarcus Beasley went to Hannover and Eddie Johnson made the 25 man squad at Fulham, Is Altidore set at Villareal? Adu at Aris? Did anyone else move?

Posted by: FulhamDC | September 2, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Petke is a wanker...

Posted by: rickinashburn | September 2, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

wanker is a Petke..

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | September 2, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for Curious' countdown to next season.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 2, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Oh not that.

Posted by: Reignking | September 2, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

It seems to me that Superliga is the best chance MLS teams have to beat Mexican teams, because in the bigger tournaments, we just can't seem to do it...

Posted by: alan19 | September 2, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Here's a silver lining for DCU - if for some reason SuperLiga does return next year, at least they won't have to deal with it.

Posted by: Pedalada | September 2, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I remember a game when Diallo hit Mikey and flipped him so high in the air that I thought he would have an oxygen mask on when he came down. I think it was a year or two before he went to NYNJ. Diallo was a nasty player. As far as last night. When are MLS going to get professional refs? At least 3 Columbus Crew should have been carded out, O'Rourke, Iro, and the blonde in front who used to have curls.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 2, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 2, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 2, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | September 2, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about the three of the same. The site takes forever. The blonde is Lennert.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 2, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

3500 in attendance:

mid-week game for a tournament almost no-one cares about right before labor day holiday for a team whose season is about to go on record as the worst in the 15 year history of the league?

what was the question about attendance again?

Posted by: Section107 | September 2, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

==========================================

I was sympathetic to the apathy the supporters were feeling and the subsequent subpar attendance the past few MLS matches. However, I don't buy it last night. 3500 for a semi-final match of the US Open Cup in the middle of an otherwise dreadful season is just bad. There is no sugar coating of this one. After last night, I am more worried about Baltimore than ever.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | September 2, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Fulhamdc, last I read, Jay Demerit was still club-less.

Posted by: cray | September 2, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@VirginiaFan - he seemed to let GBS dictacte how he was going to call the game. after handing McT and Djak cards early for questionable tackles, he let GBS and Iro get away cardless for professional fouls towards the end. There was also a play later in regulation(?) where DJak was visciously cleaned out after the ball was played, and there was no call at all. I agreed with the red for Pablo, but thought he should have tossed O'Rourke as well for escalating the situation.

Posted by: VTUnited | September 2, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Nice goal by Kevin Alston in the Superliga 2010 Final. Who knew?

Posted by: lalston | September 2, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Super Liga = Pooper Liga!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 2, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Allow me, JkR...

Yellow card issued to 9Nine9.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | September 2, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

The thing that gets me is that Garber is always preaching how sacred the Open Cup is and then sends a second tier referee. Shows how much he thinks of us. I know one thing, I have been in Crew Stadium a number of times for games when we were in Columbus. They have seen the last cent of my money. I won't ever go there again. They were let run wild last night. Even their fan club didn't yell.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 2, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

@VT United -- I saw that foul against Jakovic. Unfortunately, the ref didn't -- and didn't notice Dejan laying prone on the field, either...as play continued. Tere were so many moments in that game where the refereeing just wasn't good or even consistent.

Oh well. Frankly, with Seattle winning, I'm not as crushed about the DCU loss. I owuld have loved to see another USOC final at RFK. Watching the game on TV or the internet from Qwest...not so much. I know some people think you can be a fan from your couch, but I think they're missing out. I got more out of watching DC in person lose in the semis than I would have watching them win the final on a small screen.

Having said that, the crowd was totally predictable. I'm pretty sure it was just about the same last year. Last year's final was a fluke, because of the hype that went into it. 17,000+ against Seattle. That was twice what it was the year before against Charleston. Yeah, there was a better turnout 2 years ago for the semis against the Revs -- 6800 -- but last year only 2500 turned out to see the Rhinos at the Soccerplex.

Hard to say if its the novelty wearing off, or the fan base turning away. Either way, I don't think you can blame RFK.

A good team will probably draw bigger crowds at RFK -- especially if there's some name talent attracting fan interest. DC will miss Beckham and Henry this year, so their numbers will look even poorer in comparison to other teams. Next year, it could be different, but the front office will have to do its homework, for once.

Posted by: fischy | September 2, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

About that Chivas Guadalajara - Philly Union game: Philly wins on a goal by Jack McInerney. I'm still p.o.'d that DC gave away that pick to Philly, but for the USA's future, I'm glad he's being coached into the pros by Nowak. Got to be better than being part of this year's United team. Other good news for the USA's future? Philly brought on a late sub -- 15-year old midfielder Zach Pfeffer. One to watch....

Posted by: fischy | September 2, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Virginia Fan:

USSF assigns the match officials, not MLS, even for the MLS games. However, MLS is not without its ability to influence the assignments.

DCU most definitive should have raised an objection to the assignment of this particular ref, not so much because of his lack of experience, but because of the previous episode in which he sent Curt off.

KP and DCU seem to prefer whining about the officiating after a game, rather than before it when it actually might do some good.

Posted by: lgm6986 | September 2, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Still, an announced crowd of 3500 has to include all the season ticket holders -- even if they didn't show up -- which means DCU's STH base is just horrible.

Posted by: Juan-John1 | September 2, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Not all season ticketholders. Just full season and Plan A half-season. Plan B and flew plans, I believe, didn't have tickets. But, is that attendance total all tickets sold, or just fannies at the game?

Posted by: fischy | September 2, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

SuperLiga? Who cares! That tournament is absolutely worthless. No prize money that a team can really use to build on, no advancement to another tournament, no tradition of respect for SuperLiga... How about the CONCACAF Champion's League growing in respect and MLS stop wasting precious players' time on friggin SuperLiga?

Posted by: ericruenes | September 2, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ericruenes | September 2, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if the exit to Lot 8 to 395 will still be closed for Saturday's match. It was bad last night but I am guessing attendance will be a good bit higher on Saturday night which could make for a very long time getting out of there.

Posted by: fedssocr | September 2, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I'll do my morning run back behind RFK and let you know what I see re: road closure.

Posted by: DCB23 | September 2, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Remember to lock your laptop in the trunk, DCB23.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | September 2, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Agree that SuperLiga is a waste of time. MLS clubs won't have the depth to compete in extraneous tournaments for a long time, and Mexican clubs would rather concentrate on league play. Remember, the only reason -- I mean the ONLY reason -- this tournament was born was to promote David Beckham. It started in 2007 after he arrived. Remember the big crowd in Dallas that came to rag on him? Well, without Beckham, nobody cares. Same thing with the Pan-Pacific Tournament, which lasted all of two years and also was devised to promote Beckham.

Posted by: JosephDHippolito | September 3, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse