Thursday kickaround: MLS, CONCACAF, WPS, NCAA, Americans abroad, TV listings

*The marquee match of the week in MLS is Friday night when the Los Angeles Galaxy, the Western Conference leader, hosts the New York Red Bulls, second-place in the East, in a nationally televised showdown featuring some of the league's biggest names. But chances are, nothing that unfolds at Home Depot Center will equal what took place at cozy CommunityAmerica Ballpark on Wednesday. In an afterthought game between the sinking Houston Dynamo and resurgent Kansas City Wizards, Josh Wolff scored in the sixth minute of stoppage time to lift the Wizards to a 4-3 victory.

*More drama in Mexico: The Seattle Sounders were on the way to becoming the first MLS club to ever win a competitive match south of the border when they relinquished a two-goal lead and fell to Monterrey, 3-2, for their fourth straight loss in the CONCACAF Champions League. (Video here.) Meantime, Real Salt Lake is surely on its way to the knockout stages following a 3-2 victory at Arabe Unido in Panama.

*The WPS playoffs continue tonight with the Boston Breakers hosting the Philadelphia Independence in a semifinal at Harvard's new soccer facility.

*On the college soccer front, two massive matches coming Friday:
No. 2 Tulsa at No. 1 Akron (8 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel)
No. 5 Maryland at No. 3 North Carolina, 7 p.m.

For Americans abroad and TV listings.....

*Americans abroad:
Thursday
F Jozy Altidore and Villarreal vs. Deportivo de Coruna
Wednesday
MF Benny Feilhaber 120 minutes (3 goals) in Aarhus' 6-3 win over Skive (Danish Cup)

GK Brad Guzan 90 in Aston Villa's 3-1 win over Blackburn (Carling Cup)
D Eric Lichaj 90 for Aston Villa
GK Brad Friedel in 18, didn't play for Aston Villa

GK Dom Cervi in 18, didn't play in Celtic's 6-0 win over Inverness (Scottish Cup)

D Carlos Bocanegra in 18, didn't play in Saint-Etienne's 2-0 win over Nice (French League Cup)

MF Michael Bradley 90 in Moenchengladbach's 2-1 loss to St. Pauli
MF Ricardo Clark 14 in Eintracht's 2-1 loss at Leverkusen
MF Jermaine Jones 90 in Schalke's 2-1 win at Freiburg
MF Sacha Kljestan not in 18 (injured) for Anderlecht's 1-1 tie at Lierse
MF Alejandro Bedoya not in 18 (yellow card suspension) for Orebro's 3-1 win over Gefle

*Soccer on TV:
Spain, Villarreal-Deportivo de Coruna 2 p.m. ET, GolTV
Italy, Juventus-Palermo 2:30 p.m. FSC
Spain, Sevilla-Racing Santander 4 p.m. GolTV
Copa Sudamericana, Felipe-Guarani 7 p.m. Fox Deportes
WPS semifinal, Boston-Philadelphia 8 p.m. FSC
CONCACAF, Joe Public-Municipal 8 p.m. Galavision
Copa Sudamericana, Caracas-Santa Fe 9:30 p.m. Fox Deportes
CONCACAF, Olimpia-Toluca 10 p.m. Galavision

By Steve Goff  | September 23, 2010; 9:27 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, CONCACAF Champions League, College Soccer, MLS, Mexico, TV, Women  | Tags:  MLS, WPS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Sensational goal in U-17 Women's World Cup
Next: D.C. United news & notes: Boskovic, trialists, stats

Comments

It's ironic that Harvard, which banned ROTC from campus, names its new soccer facility "Soldiers Field."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 23, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

New England Revolution should play at the Harvard stadium. They might actually sell it out.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | September 23, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I'll be cheering for Boston. Who doesn't love Christine Lilly? I bet LePeilbelt and Scott will hold A-Rod in check! Go Breakers!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | September 23, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

How about that Flounders collapse in Mexico last night? Maybe Don Garber is getting kind of sick of the display the MLS puts on when it plays in meaningful matches against good teams, but I guess we all have to trust his all-knowing plan of one or two more over the hill DP's to prevent the kind of spectacles we saw last night...

Posted by: rademaar | September 23, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Go Breakers.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 23, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCU_Rick | September 23, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm tempted to say if you move Dallas to Boston as the second team they would have a huge spike in attendance. I'm pretty sure I played in front of more people during weekday high school soccer matches than Dallas and New England did at PHP. It’s sad the players parents didn’t even bother to support their kids.

They said attendance of over 7k but you could only count a max of 300 on the match cast. If I owned DCU I would just buy FC Dallas, swap the players, use the Dallas franchise as a tax write off and enjoy the money from the 20k + that would attend every DCU match and show Gray a solid franchise with a solid fan base that needs a new stadium in DC.

That team is wasted on Dallas.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 23, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

The sounders game is just another game that proves that something mentally or physically goes wrong for mls teams after the 2nd half. It has happened so much that it makes me wonder whats up. Are the players tired? Do they lose there concentration? not sure. side note does anyone else think that Neri Cardozo foul on fulito should have been a red card? a studs up tackle right in front of the ref.

Posted by: Norteno4life | September 23, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

According to what I read Seattle started its reserves in Monterrey. Monterrey has a much stronger lineup than Seattle's best so I'm not surprised they could turn on the pressure when needed to beat the Sounders B team.

Seattle is probably smart to rest their starters for the playoff push which is finally getting interesting now that KC has shown up to try get a 3rd Eastern Conf team into the 8-team playoffs.

Anyone know why KC got so much stoppage time last night?

Also does anyone know whether Altidore made the game day roster for this afternoon's game?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 23, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

@Southeasterner: Ah, but several of the sages who post on this very board assure us that Dallas can play in an empty stadium week after week and still make a huge profit. You see, these searing intellects have conceived the All-Unifying Theory that if you own the stadium, you don't need to sell any tickets. The money just rolls in from the ether. And tractor pulls.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 23, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 23, 2010 9:38 AM
--------------------------------------------------

Not that ironic, when you consider the ban has to do with discrimination against some soldiers or would-be soldiers. Calling it the Pentagon Field would be ironic.

Posted by: fischy | September 23, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I'll be rooting for Independence because I completely dig what this guy Riley has done there. Not to mention his role as a youth coach -- I believe that at one time in the Freedom play-off match last week there were 4 or 5 players out of the Albertson club on the field at the same time. Freedom followers know what he's done for Lindsey and Lohman, and he's done the same for A-Rod. I don't care much for his left back, both for her style of play, and because she deprives me of watching Heather.

But I still love Lilly. I mean, who doesn't?

Posted by: OWNTF | September 23, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

As a famous local youth coach says, "skills kill."

Check out this goal, and the ecstatic commentary.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 23, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Ron, just for fun I decided to look at PHP's calender of events, and I'd bet you all the money in the world that they could hardly care about how many folks show up for a weeknight soccer match when they've got Jimmy Buffett, Rascal Flats, and KISS packing the place.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 23, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Lilly is a decent club player but it makes me sick that she is still called up to the national team. Her place there should have been passed on years ago to better, younger, and faster players than her, of which there are plenty.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 23, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

If you haven't been to DCU's site lately -- DCU has two 19-year old trialists in camp. A Chinese "youth international" striker, Yang-Men, and a Ghanaian defender, Kenny Owusu.

Also, in a scrimmage, Boscovic "scored a stunning goal after slipping through the opposing backline, beating netminder Chase Harrison at his near post".... Near post, huh? Maybe he learned from his poor effort in LA over the weekend....

Posted by: fischy | September 23, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Then 1969 ban had nothing to do discrimination.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 23, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

In other words, your cute comment about the tractor pulls is ignorant. My guess would be that they probably put the tractor pulls in much larger venues if you wanna go down that route.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 23, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan, How much money will you bet that the powers that be down there will realize, as moneyed people always do, that they can make even more money without the unpopular, money-losing soccer team taking up good venue dates with unattended events (MLS games)?

Posted by: Ron16 | September 23, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------------

Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back.

Posted by: fischy | September 23, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@OWNTF -- Goff beat you by 2 hours with that video. Note the previous thread.

@I-270 -- I stand corrected.

Posted by: fischy | September 23, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure there are many players in the pool who are younger, in fact, they all are. I doubt there are many players faster than Lilly, still. Better? I'm comfortable letting Pia sort that out.

Speaking of young wing players, and Philly, I bet Pia will find it hard to keep C. DiMartino out of the team. I'd pay my $20 at the Plex just to watch her play 1v1 to Pugg goals against Sonia, best of 20.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 23, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Ron16 spent the whole night out on that ledge??

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 23, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Dad: OK OK, instead of tractor pulls I should have said "Septuagenarians in spandex from 1973".

Better?

Posted by: Ron16 | September 23, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

=================

Is it somehow the moral obligation of the "moneyed people" to lose their money so others can watch soccer?

Posted by: OWNTF | September 23, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF, your question well encapsulates FDC Dallas' problem.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 23, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Answering my own question from earlier.

Marca lists Jozy Altidore in Villarreal's 18 players available (but on the bench [banquillos]) for this afternoon's 2pm game on GolTV.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 23, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Joel, I'll keep you informed :) I've been reading that they are likely to keep the same lineup, despite the match being in the middle of the week -- because their next match isn't until Monday Night Futbol.

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

BTW, Marca had Villarreal's Europa lineup wrong last week.

Posted by: Reignking | September 23, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Semantic hairsplitting about the aptness of "banned ROTC from campus" in place of "terminated their ROTC program" aside, Fischy's point is sound. Harvard initially terminated ROTC due to opposition to military policy, not out of any antipathy towards individual soldiers. And in fact, Harvard's handbook does cite ROTC's discriminatory policies for its current refusal to support ROTC.

I see no irony in honoring soldiers while disagreeing with the policy-makers.

Posted by: BooThisMan | September 23, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Harvard had me until they said the Kryptonite word: "FieldTurf."

Posted by: Juan-John1 | September 23, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | September 23, 2010 11:02 AM

you always try to make this argument that FC Dallas ownership will eventually get rid of the team because they make more money with everything else, but you always seem to forget that they are operated by the Hunt family, who (along with Phil Anschutz) are the orignal benefactors of MLS. The "moneyed people" in this case you speak of aren't Will Chang types, they are old money people who have enough that they could do whatever they want for a long time. you know, like prop up a fledgling American soccer league for over a decade...

Posted by: VTUnited | September 23, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I havent seen this much bickering since I was last in Lot 8!!!

Can't we all just get along???

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | September 23, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

From yesterday's kickaround (about four posts ago, or so)...

@Ron16, you're welcome for the photo breakdown opportunity. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 23, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

From my scan of the CCL standings, the lineup in the 8-team knock out stage would be about right with respect to strength of leagues and geographic representation: 4 Mexican teams, 2 MLS teams, one central american team (Saprissa), and one Carribean team (Islanders). Its been a nice little competition, and hope Mexican teams arent so favored by the refs from here on out.

Posted by: alespar415 | September 23, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

So...I refuse to start sentences with "So". Hard to understand why this nonsense is being spread by the better educated and smartest among us (scientists, reporters and talking heads). I hope they'd never use it in writing, SO why do they start every verbal answer that way?

I saw a post about Garber considering switching the schedule to match southern Europe (he wouldn't describe it that way, of course). Got me wondering about monthly attendance. There used to be a dude -- kenn -- that broke it all down, but he's stopped because the figures are so unreliable. I did find a site that had a team-by-team analysis (not broken down by month or week, alas), through the middle of July. The top draw at home were no surprise -- Sounders, Union (expansion and the Lincoln Financial Field effect) Galaxy, Toronto, Houston, NYRB, RSL, and DC United, rounding out the top half. I'd bet sure DCU has slipped behind a few teams since, since the Crew, Chivas and the Fire were close behind.

What I found really interesting, though -- DC United was the biggest draw on the road. That was without Henry and Beckham distorting things, as would have happened in any other year. The team everyone loves to hate?

If DC United is going to be the Yankees of MLS, they're going to have to get their act together. The interesting part for me is it suggests that MLS needs DCU to get back on top, just as badly as they need good teams and big stars in NY and LA. Soccer fans must still see DCU as different than other teams, but after three years of miserable failure, that can't last.

Posted by: fischy | September 23, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

On second though, San Jose and Kansas City were 2nd and 3rd best road draws. Maybe fans are more likely to come out when they expect their team to win? Or, maybe I'm making too much out of numbers that might have more to do with random scheduling quirks....

Posted by: fischy | September 23, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Riley is a good coach,but FREEDOM was plain stupid not to protect Lindsay and Lohman, as they were both good player when they were on the FREEDOM.And now we have paid the price by allowing them to go to the expansion team. Both would have done well this year regardless of which teams they played for...
I don't care for how rough some of the Philly player's are-Philly has it's red card queens Seger - who tripped Wambach in the 41st minute in the last game(why no card?),and Magnusdottir, who got a yellow card in the last match, plus Sanderson sure got the 'hairy -eye-ball'for rough play a few times from the ref during the playoff game last w/e-Riley was wise to take Sanderson out.
I still like Boston and hope they win. I guess we will see how Lilly does tonight.I think she plays as well as and better than many of the younger players. If Pia wants her on the National team I'm all for it.

Posted by: 10bestfan | September 23, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the name of the stadium is quite prosaic. Soldiers Field Road (a Boston thoroughfare which the university had no role in naming) is where it is located. That's all there is to it.

BTW, the FSC feed will be simulcast on the WPS site. There is also an iPhone link there.

Posted by: universityandpark | September 23, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse