Wednesday kickaround: U.S. Open Cup semifinals, SuperLiga final, WPS playoff race, Philly friendly

*My preview of D.C. United's U.S. Open Cup semifinal against the Columbus Crew at RFK Stadium.

*The Columbus perspective.

*The Capital Weather Gang's steamy RFK forecast.

*Is DCU on TV tonight? Nope. But you can watch live on United's Web site. The Seattle-Chivas USA semifinal can be seen on the Sounders' site, starting at 10:30 p.m. ET.

*The transcript of my online chat, hosted by columnist Tracee Hamilton.

*It's not just a Liga, it's a SuperLiga! The final is tonight at Foxborough (7 p.m., Telefutura).

*Which match will draw the bigger mid-week crowd: United's Open Cup or the Revolution's SuperLiga match?

*The Philadelphia Union is hosting Chivas Guadalajara in a friendly at PPL Park (8 p.m. kickoff, 9 p.m. on Galavision).

*The Washington Freedom doesn't play again until Sunday, but tonight's Sky Blue-Gold Pride match in New Jersey will impact its WPS playoff push.

By Steve Goff  |  September 1, 2010; 11:29 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom , MLS , Mexico , SuperLiga , U.S. Open Cup , Women  | Tags: D.C. United, MLS, U.S. Open Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bob Bradley's contract, Americans in transition, D.C. United news & notes, Insider live chat
Next: Open Cup matchnight: D.C. United vs. Crew

Comments

If we lose the USOC, our season will be an abject failure. Of course if we win, our season will still be an abject failure, just as it was the last time we won the USOC.

Ah, the coveted and prestigious US Open Cup.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 1, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

"Philly" and "friendly" used in the same phrase? And we're not talking Quakers?

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I covet the Open Cup, personally. I'm assuming the other three teams still in pursuit are all fairly serious about winning it, so this would be an accomplishment if DC wins.

Goff chat: I have the impression most commenters here like Pablo Hernandez, but Goff says he might not be back? Now me, I worried in a comment that Hernandez was getting knocked off the ball just like Castillo did; here, let me look that up . . .

Goff chat #2: Goff would not be surprised if DCU relocates to Baltimore. I hadn't heard it that directly from him before. Ouch.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 1, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Hernandez does get knocked down a lot. And if he wasn't from Argentina I think he would get the call 9 times out of 10. But the referees are biased against the Latin players for some reason.

I have read the Baltimore speculation elsewhere. I have a hard time believing it until I see it. When were the feasibility study results supposed to be released? How will Vince Gray's apparent cruise to victory change the equation?

Posted by: fedssocr | September 1, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Ron you gonna stand in the corner and keep complaining or are you going to try and go enjoy the game bro?

Vamos United!

Hernandez is a diver and I wouldn't miss him, unless of course he started scoring some goals. Especially tonight!

Posted by: DadRyan | September 1, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Everybody gives Bob Bradley crap for what he wears on the sideline, but a couple of these coaches in the FIBA worlds (which have been a GREAT tournament for those not paying attention) are literally wearing jeans. Seen one team in button downs. The rest in polos. I still say what Bradley wears really doesn't matter.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 1, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

"How will Vince Gray's apparent cruise to victory change the equation?"

Probably not at all, I guess? But at least he didn't come to RFK and tell fans he supports a stadium. I guess he could do so tonight or Saturday. That'd be great if Fenty came back and did it again.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 1, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

The USOC article implies that the previous questions about the USOC winner getting a bid to CCL have been resolved. Do we know this is true, or is Goff writing based on past qualifications?

Posted by: benonthehill | September 1, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

In the chat there was talk about United leaving for B'more. Is this a real possibility? I know a stadium is a major problem, but I wasn't aware that DC might lose the team.

Posted by: JG55 | September 1, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

- No stadium in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan Area unless Chang comes up with a lot of money.

- How many United fans will vote in the DC mayoral race and how many of them will vote based on the stadium issue?

- The USOC is still hardware, but winning it would allow the FO to declare the season a success.

- When non-Americans wear jeans, it's fashionable. When we do so, it's not.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 1, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Gray's ascendancy is the final nail in the coffin of a DC SSS, IMHO. The money's not there and it's clearly not a priority to the constituency that is propelling him to victory. Game over.

At least he's honest about it, though. Fenty brought us along for the ride and then kicked us out the passenger door going 70 mph alongside a cliff.

Oh and Joachim Low wears jeans on the sidelines sometimes. Looks good too.

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | September 1, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

@Ron16: are you related to this woman?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | September 1, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

This is the high point of our season (Yeah, I know...).

But the team played well against Chivas on Sunday and should have won. Quaranta's shot off the crossbar and the back of Thornton's calf and Jaime's hard header which a defender cleared off the line were both more dangerous chances than anything our opponents created. Hopefully that carries on to today and actually leads to some goals.

Columbus is clearly a better team than DC but is also focused on the MLS postseason as well as the ConcaChampions thingy (I just hope they try to send some substitutes on the field in un-numbered jerseys again!).

I won't be too surprised with another Winsday night.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 1, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Gray says he wants to keep United in DC but that the money and will for a stadium are not great right now.

I ask again, as I have regularly, why not work with Howard University? A new stadium wouldn't kill them. They kick in money too. It's central in the city. There aren't enough stadium dates for United alone to make the stadium that exciting a prospect for the city to invest in. But add a college football program to that and suddenly you get to a point where it's real full time jobs, virtually year round, in a part of the city that DOES play to Gray's base.

Posted by: dsheon1 | September 1, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1
-------------------------------------------

I'm a DC resident who will be voting. A stadium for DCU is not the #1 issue in this race (blasphemy, I know!) but even if it were, who can say who a pro-DCU stadium vote should even go to? I've seen nothing suggesting that Gray is better than Fenty on the issue, or vice versa.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | September 1, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, the tailgate parties in Lot 8 are an unknowing health fair. Stay thirsty my friends.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 1, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Exactly where would you build a new stadium at Howard? I don't remember seeing a whole lot of empty land in that part of the city.

Posted by: fedssocr | September 1, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

From the online chat:

The return of Emilio wreaked of desperation.

Goff, I loved the pun, but was it intentional?

Posted by: DCUSince96 | September 1, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The only person who could be mayor and be of help to DCU's stadium situation would be Tony williams, who gave it its initial momentum, and he ain't coming back.

Regardless, the Nats stadium deal has soured any political interest in publically-funded stadium deals, so bad timing for DCU in DC.

Baltimore United. Embrace the Bawlmer.

Posted by: lgm6986 | September 1, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Mayor for Life Marion Barry.

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The good news is that it's highly unlikely that United won't be playing at RFK next year. They wouldn't be selling ST at rock bottom prices today if they were out of here next year. There is still a shred of hope.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 1, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I think I agree that they wouldn't be trying so hard to sell tickets at RFK for next year if they didn't plan to be back here. A move to M&T in the off season would leave very little time to sell season tickets there and get everything arranged in time.

Posted by: fedssocr | September 1, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

My question now is how will this moronic hostage situation in Silver Spring effect traffic on the Beltway this evening...

Posted by: DadRyan | September 1, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Soccer America reports that next year's NCAA women's Division I championship will be in Kennesaw.

Posted by: universityandpark | September 1, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I am looking forward to this nice little mid-week break. But it does seem like every home game this season has been steamy, uncomfortable, generally hot as h*ll.

Posted by: DCB23 | September 1, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the right-side ad...Andy Najar is already the new DCU poster boy? That was quick.

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I remember radio stations playing Jump whenever someone was on the Wilson or Cabin John Bridge. Don't mess with traffic.

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

My conspiracy theory about the stadium situation (and mind you it is only wild speculation) is DC united will move to Baltimore, but next year.

They will, however, announce the move soon (perhaps just after the 5% discount on season tickets ends on November 1st). They are trying to get people to buy as early as possible because they will not be able to sell many tickets after they announce the move.

Posted by: rickinashburn | September 1, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

hmm some issues posting comments...anyway was just noting that every home game it seems has been hot as h*ll this year.

Posted by: DCB23 | September 1, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCB23 | September 1, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

We're hot as Hull?

They got relegated and we can't get relegated, Hahh!!!!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 1, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Jozy scored two today in a pseudo-preseason match against Vinaros. Many of the internationals are away from the team, so they played with a mixture of A and B teamers (I think with Jozy as an A-teamer, although he didn't travel for the first match of the season this past weekend.)

Hat tip on info from comment at http://www.villarrealusa.org

Posted by: nicholas6 | September 1, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Jozy isn't an A-Teamer -- but this guy is!

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse