Wednesday kickaround: Americans abroad, Bedoya goal video, Real Salt Lake advances, D.C. United call-ups, NCAA upset, TV listings

*Americans abroad:
Tuesday
D Oguchi Onyewu not in the 18 for AC Milan's 1-1 tie at Ajax
MF Alejandro Bedoya 70 (goal; red card) in Orebro's 1-0 win over Kalmar

D Frank Simek 90 in Carlisle's 4-0 win over Hartlepool
F Conor Doyle in 18, didn't play in Derby's 3-1 win over Middlesbrough
F Mike Grella not in the 18 for Leeds' 6-4 loss to Preston
MF Anton Peterlin not in the 18 for Plymouth's 3-2 win at Swindon

Wednesday
MF Maurice Edu and Rangers vs. Bursaspor (Champions League)
MF Jermaine Jones and Schalke vs. Benfica (Champions League)

Watch Bedoya's goal 16 seconds into the match:

*Javier Morales returned from injury to score in the second half and give Real Salt Lake a 1-1 draw at Toronto FC, clinching a quarterfinal berth in the CONCACAF Champions League.

*D.C. United's starting central defenders will miss the Oct. 9 league match against San Jose at RFK Stadium: Dejan Jakovic has been called into Canada's squad for a friendly at Ukraine and Julius James will join Trinidad and Tobago to face Jamaica. Midfielder Branko Boskovic (Montenegro) will also be gone on international duty.

*Fourth-ranked Virginia defeated Longwood, 2-0, while the Cavaliers' next opponent, No. 2 North Carolina, was upset by Old Dominion, 2-1.

For today's extensive TV listings.....

*Soccer on TV:
All times are Eastern
UEFA Champions League
(www.Foxsoccer.tv will show most matches live)
Rubin Kazan-Barcelona 12:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Valencia-Manchester United 2:45 p.m. FSC (Fox Soccer Plus at 5)

Spurs-Twente 2:45 p.m. FSP (FSC at 5)
Inter Milan-Werder Bremen 2:45 p.m. DirecTV Channel 481 (tape on Fox Deportes at 5)

Rangers-Bursaspor 2:45 p.m. DirecTV (482)
Hapoel Tel Aviv-Lyon 2:45 p.m. DirecTV (483)
Schalke-Benfica 2:45 p.m. DirecTV (484)
Panathinaikos-Copenhagen 2:45 p.m. DirecTV (485)

CONCACAF Champions League
Puerto Rico-Toluca 8 p.m. Telefutura
Seattle-Marathon 10 p.m. FSC concacaf.com
Municipal-Columbus 10 p.m. FSCwww.concacaf.com
Santos Laguna-Joe Public 10 p.m. Galavision

MLS
Colorado-Philadelphia 9:30 p.m. Direct Kick
San Jose-Chicago 11 p.m. ESPN Deportes

By Steve Goff  | September 29, 2010; 8:31 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, CONCACAF Champions League, College Soccer, D.C. United, MLS, Sweden, TV  | Tags:  Americans abroad, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NCAA men's and women's soccer rankings
Next: Washington Freedom seeking investors

Comments

That game against SJ is gonna be bad. The bench alone will be thin, and the starting XI is going to be one huge experiment.

Posted by: jason1551 | September 29, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

OT: I thought the BB, SE and La Norte folks would find this of interest:

My take: if you can't throw out an insult without using foul language, you're not being creative. Then again, this is Philly we're talking about.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | September 29, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you Rand-al-Thor, but at the same time, it certainly isn't unique to Philly sports. I would say soccer has been way ahead of the curve in trying to segregate sections to make it more appealing to different people in different sections.

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Does it amaze others that a team as crappy as DCU can have three of its players called up for international matches?

Posted by: jofij | September 29, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

@Rand. Mr. BaRRD and I were at the Man United/Union game. The SOB's had two chants. The brilliantly creative "PHIL-a-DEL-phia" and "EFF you A**hole" They start the latter cheer with a big ooooooOOOOOOO, so sometimes when they finally got to the payoff line, it was a Union player with the ball with the ball at his feet.

Now I'm a girl who grew up going to Connie Mack stadium with my Dad, so you can't call me anti-Philly. But it is embarrassing that these cretins are our ambassadors for a game broadcast internationally.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | September 29, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Just caught the irony of referring to myself as a "girl" when the stadium closed in 1970. Yes, I am getting old.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | September 29, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Interesting how people shout obscenities and then hide behind something called "the spirit of the game." If so, they should do that at a youth game.

@jofij: For T&T and Canada, MLS is a good league for their players. Sure, there are the occasional Kenwyne Jones and... [wait while I try to think of a Canadian currently in a top tier Euro league... oh, never mind], but MLS is a decent competition if you're chasing the 3rd or 3rd and a half slot for WC qualification.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 29, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Gotta wonder what's made Connor Doyle's stock fizzle so quickly.

Then you gotta wonder just how bad the Norwegian(?) Swedish(?) league is that Bedoya looks so good.

Posted by: DrewROC | September 29, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

wow, a goal and a red card, that's 2/3rds of a gordie howe hat-trick, right?

Posted by: stairs | September 29, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Gotta wonder what's made Connor Doyle's stock fizzle so quickly. -DrewROC

I believe Doyle was getting playing time due to injuries to other strikers on the team. He is extremely young and is still highly regarded on the team.

Posted by: zackvanderhoof | September 29, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Doyles stock didn't fizzle. He got pushed into the starting lineup early on because of injuries to the teams other options. He was used because they had no other options. Now that the other options are returning from injury he's going back to being the 3rd or 4th option. He's young and he did well with the time he was given. His time will come.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | September 29, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

hey drewRoc have you actually seen bedoya play before? or are you just bashing on a league because you nothing about it?

Posted by: pino149 | September 29, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

If this were the other blog, people would be saying how Bedoya is the next great American star and will lead us to win the next 3 World Cups.

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

This from Jason Reid's Insider blog:

As coaches at Redskins Park began building a gameplan for the Eagles, Cooley and Redskins owner Dan Snyder made the trip to Capitol Hill Tuesday to announce an unprecedented initiative that has brought together the team owners of all five D.C.-area pro sports teams. Partnering with Coca-Cola, the teams will work together to help combat childhood obesity.

Snyder was joined by Mark Lerner, the Nationals' principal owner, and Ted Leonsis, the CEO and majority owner of the Wizards, Capitals and Mystics. In addition, players representing all five teams were on the Hill to discuss the new initiative, including Cooley, the Nats' Ryan Zimmerman, the Wizards' Josh Howard, the Capitals' Nicklas Backstrom and the Mystics' Crystal Langhorne.

=======================================

No bueno.

Posted by: lgm6986 | September 29, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The Next Great American Soccer Star would be a good title for a web-based reality show. Players could upload their clips and members of the soccer blogosphere would post nasty comments and vote. The winner would get a contract to play for Midgetjellyland or Brommapajama, or appear in a skit with the Swedish Chef (Bork. Bork. Bork).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 29, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"Partnering with Coca-Cola, the teams will work together to help combat childhood obesity."

Anyone else think this is ironic? Why not ask Dunkin' Donuts and EA sports to join?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 29, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"De flim ys okeiedokie"
-Swedish TV sports caster and chef.

Posted by: WorldCup | September 29, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

The fine people of the Coca-Cola corporation have plenty of healthy alternatives :)

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse
==========

Disclaimer: This person lives in Atlanta.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 29, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

At least Pena will be recovered in time for the match on the 9th right? Or did we ditch him altogether already?

That could be a very ugly match.

In other news, a couple of weeks ago (maybe the LA game) I seem to remember the announcers saying Najar was one caution away from suspension. So, will he miss the Colorado game or did he pass one of those "good behavior" points before his latest yellow card?

Posted by: fedssocr | September 29, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@igm: re: "Where was DCU? Not one of the "five D.C.-area pro sports teams?" Behind the Mystics in that pecking order?"

To their credit this time, the DCU FO had more important things to do than show up for an idiotic "childhood obesity" photo op.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 29, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | September 29, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Disclaimer: I do not work for said company...but I might as well support something in this town until MLS arrives.

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2010 11:20 AM
===============================

Then you'd better stop watching Fox News.

:-)

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | September 29, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

To follow up:

It's been a while since I've been to RFK -- last season, in fact -- and I love watching the three supporter's groups do their thing. That said, I generally don't understand their songs as I'm on the team bench side of the field. I also know NOT to bring my kids anywhere near BB and SE -- both to keep them dry and to keep them from hearing, ahem... colorful language.

In all, it works for me.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | September 29, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

You say "Coca-Cola", I say "Five Guy's Fries".

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 29, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Cajun, of course.

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I like football. The football which uses a pointy ball that takes funny bounces.

But football does an awful lot to promote obesity. From the emphasis on speed and power and super-big athletes to the commercials for KFC double downs, super-sized meals and super-sized trucks for all those folks who've super-sized their rear ends...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 29, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Pepsi league sponsorship precludes DCU management from appearing at Coke events.

Posted by: fedssocr | September 29, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

No bueno.

Posted by: lgm6986 | September 29, 2010 10:49 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------

This does represent a promotion for the Mystics, per the Post. A couple of weeks ago, the Post ran a piece on sports teams deliberate charitable strategies. The article referred to DC's four pro sports teams". The Mystics, United, Freedom, Kastles and other assorted teams didn't make the cut.

Posted by: fischy | September 29, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

What happened to the San Jose - Chicago game TV coverage? In the TV guide to the dead tree version of the post it was going to be on tonight on either ESPN or ESPN2. I know that thing is printed weeks in advance but it must have been "on" at some point.

Does MLS get any kind of compensation from ESPN if one of their games gets bumped?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 29, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they think United is already in Baltimore.

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Or Atlanta.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 29, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I am so glad none of our supporters groups do the YSA thing on the opposing goalie. I just think it's lame, unoriginal, and juvenile. I guess I like that we don't do it and mostly everyone else does.

And now to completely contradict myslef, for some reason I always start giggling when there is a full-force "F-you Ref" chant enhanced with hundreds of middle fingers going. Cracks me up every time.

Posted by: DCB23 | September 29, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

And, speaking of Baltimore...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 29, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

huhuhuhu

expansion team

huhuhehehuhu /beavis

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

The only thing cornier than the YSA chant is the absolutely mind numbingly deetarded "USA ain't nothing to Eff with chant" sung by a bunch of lily white preppy soccer nerds. I was in fact embarrassed to be surrounded by such nonsense at the USA/Turkey game in Philly but that is what I get for getting AO tickets which obviously had a large percentage of SOB's up in it.

And please for the love of Bob (Marley) can you Georgia boys stop talking this sillyness about Balmer and the ATL... Get yer own darn team!

Posted by: DadRyan | September 29, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I want A team. Could care less if it was my own or someone else's.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 29, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Ah, yes. These silly campagns to get us to improve ourselves. Have people seen the public service announcement in which several (American-born) members of the Freedom weigh in against underage drinking? It so happens that these folks have teammates who were born in Canada, England, Norway, Japan, Australia, and (until this week) France. I'll bet that just about every one of them has unapologetically engaged in what the producers of this PSA consider underage drinking, and they are none the worse for it.

My candidate for the most unintentionally funny PSA around is the spot I've heard several times on WTOP-FM late at night. It features the voice of a young woman who exhorts young men to register for the draft when they turn 18, because "we all have to do our part" [sic] to defend the country.

Posted by: universityandpark | September 29, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I want A team. Could care less if it was my own or someone else's.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 29, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Jacob, as a person who turned his back on the NBA for good when the Sonics were moved out of Seattle I would never wish it upon any local sports fan anywhere to have their team moved. I understand your desire, and I know it's tongue in cheek but the situation in DC is dire and looks more and more every day like a Super Sonic Swindle. If the league can't involve themselves more in trying to work the situation out I could very well take my ball and go home if United got moved in such an ugly manner.

I know you guys want a team, but I really don't believe you wouldn't feel a little strange if United was moved to Atlanta.
Though shall not covet another man's football team.
It's a sin!
;)

Posted by: DadRyan | September 29, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Though shall not covet another man's football team.
It's a sin!
;)
Posted by: DadRyan
=========

Unless it's lingerie football. Then covet away, my friend.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 29, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I think Atlanta already lost its lingerie franchise...

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

No, I don't want anyone to lose any teams. I want United in DC. Used it as a hashtag on twitter before. Just saying.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 29, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse