A final goal for D.C. United's Jaime Moreno

After holding the MLS career scoring record for three years, D.C. United captain Jaime Moreno now shares the lead with Jeff Cunningham of FC Dallas. With Cunningham seemingly certain to return next year, Moreno's final appearance for United on Saturday night against Toronto FC at RFK Stadium is also a final opportunity to go out atop the chart.

He has scored once this season, against Philadelphia on April 10, and managed just six shots on goal in 20 appearances (seven starts) and 823 minutes. A goal in his farewell would be fitting, and his teammates know it.

"Any way possible for him to score, any way possible for him to win, we want to do it," Santino Quaranta said. "It's about him, it's about celebrating him. If I have a chance to score and he's open, I am going to pass it to him. It's as simply as that for me. Hopefully, it doesn't come down to a breakaway and I mess it up and try to get it to him."

If Moreno were to score, "I would be ecstatic," interim coach Ben Olsen said. "I would probably take off my shirt and run around."

Said Moreno: "They all say they are going to pass the ball to me. I'll be shaking, I'll be nervous."

As for the MLS record, "I'm not thinking about it, but it would be nice to go out with it. If it doesn't happen, I want to go with a win. That's all I want."

For more.....

In the locker room before training this morning, the players presented Moreno with a Louis Vuitton suitcase with his initials, D.C. United and "99" embroidered on it. The team will present more gifts during Saturday's ceremonies. After practice, about two dozen DCU staff members came down to practice for handshakes, hugs and photos.

Moreno said he plans to return to Bolivia next week to clear his head and consider his future options: Accept a position with DCU or extend his career in Bolivia.

By Steve Goff  | October 22, 2010; 12:26 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  D.C. United, Jaime Moreno
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday kickaround: Red Bulls gain top seed in Eastern Conference, Jaime Moreno the prankster, Moreno Comcast roundtable
Next: Saturday kickaround: Jaime Moreno

Comments

Louis Vuitton? I thought Jaime more of a Gucci man.

Posted by: HowdyDCU | October 22, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

There better be some diving in the box.

Posted by: Reignking | October 22, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

one of the worst moments of this terrible season was Jakovic's careless mistake at the end of the FCDallas game that gave Cunningham a freebie.

Posted by: VTUnited | October 22, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Classy RK... Classy. :)

Posted by: DadRyan | October 22, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Jaime,

Thanks for your years of dedication to the club. You are one of the premier ambassadors for the sport.

After your trip to Boliva, please come back. D.C. United still needs your wisdom, knowledge, and leadership.

Posted by: edmundburke247 | October 22, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

""Moreno said he plans to return to Bolivia next week to clear his head and consider his future options""

Just don't play pick up with your President and you'll be ok.

Re: Goals . . . just win the game, man. This isn't some house league team, I still want points!

Posted by: delantero | October 22, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

There better be some diving in the box.

Posted by: Reignking | October 22, 2010 12:53 PM
======================

Then this has to be the video session after United's practice today:

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 22, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I remember the Washington Senators' last game, back in 1971. Frank Howard hit a home run (off of a grooved pitch), and the crowd gave him a more than 5-minute ovation. He still talks about that ovation as one of the high moments of his life and perhaps the greatest moment of his baseball career.

Jaime deserves at least as much.

Posted by: Rhio | October 22, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Ohhh, so now they want to score some goals... sheesh, where was this enthusiasm before?

Posted by: JB252 | October 22, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

We would still have to find someone who can groove the ball to Jaime . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | October 22, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Would be nice to have some facts without having to switch sites...like what how many goals they each have. Where does the record currently stand? Might also be nice to know how the two compare on assists and titles.

Posted by: johnx2 | October 22, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Jaime and Cunningham each have 132 goals as I recall. Jaime is leaps and bounds ahead of Cunningham in assists and titles. Jaime is the only player in MLS history with 100 goals and 100 assists.

Get your tickets to the game, as the best way to show him our respect and DC United that they made a HUGE mistake in pushing him out the door prematurely!

Posted by: Drick | October 22, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

johnx2:

I get where you're coming from, but repeating those facts would be redundant for the vast majority of Soccer Insider readers. I'm sure Goff's piece for the Saturday morning Post will make mention of all those stats, because that article is aimed at a general audience.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 22, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I know Chad Ashton's been here a long time, but I think the tech coach should be fit and help push the players toward developing an attack. I hope he's here coaching, vice staying in Bolivia. I also heard his son was offered a place in the academy team (I think) in Middlesburough and that the family was thinking about a move to the U.K.

Posted by: ericruenes | October 22, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

This is what Goff has filed for Saturday's print edition:

Posted by: universityandpark | October 22, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I'll miss the game (fortunately, it's for a good cause so I won't feel guilty), but I will be following along on my phone every step of the way.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 23, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I would love to see Cunningham not score tomorrow on purpose

Posted by: SexyOffender | October 23, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

All the Best Jaime. Thanks for the great memories. We will never forget your class, talent, skills and professionalism! You have been such an inspiration!

Posted by: charlie015 | October 23, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse