American soccer players abroad

How select Americans playing abroad fared this weekend:
GOALKEEPERS
Tim Howard 90 minutes in Everton's 2-0 win over Liverpool
Marcus Hahnemann 90 in Wolves' 1-1 draw with West Ham
Brad Friedel 90 in Aston Villa's 0-0 draw with Chelsea
Brad Guzan in the 18, didn't play for Aston Villa
Dom Cervi not in the 18 for Celtic's 2-1 win at Dundee
Luis Robles 90 in Karlsruhe's 2-0 loss to Bochum

For defenders, midfielders and forwards.....

DEFENDERS
FORWARDS
Jozy Altidore and Villarreal at Hercules on Monday
Herculez Gomez 27 for Pachuca
Eddie Johnson 6 for Fulham
Freddy Adu not in 18 for Aris' 4-0 loss to AEK Athens
Conor Doyle in 18, didn't play in Derby's 2-0 win over Preston
Mike Grella last 45 for Carlisle (on loan from Leeds)
Sammy Ochoa 12 (goal) in Tecos' 2-1 win over Atlas

By Steve Goff  | October 17, 2010; 3:26 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad  | Tags:  Americans abroad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Columbus Crew goalkeeper Will Hesmer scores tying goal in final moments against Toronto
Next: MLS playoff scenarios, statistics, records

Comments

Giuseppe Rossi and Villarreal at Hercules on Monday
Nevan Subotic 90 in Dortmund's 2-1 win over Cologne
Brede Hangeland 90 in Fulham's 2-1 loss to Spurs
Shane Smeltz not in the 18 for Gen├žlerbirli─či's 2-3 loss to Antalyaspor

You missed a few :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 17, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Dear I-270Exit1
Brede Hangeland 90 in Fulham's 2-1 loss to Spurs ????? He is not an American soccer player abroad... He is Norwegian!!

Posted by: Guribs | October 17, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Gurbis.... I-270 used him jokingly because Hangeland was born in Texas. All if the players he listed could have suited up for USA. If your knew to the blog always assume I-270 is playing a pun.

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 17, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Rooney to NY to replace Angel?

A backup plan if LA can't land Dinho?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 17, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Also, assume my grammar will be terrible.

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 17, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks grubbsbi :-)

Posted by: Guribs | October 17, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Freddy Adu, go somewhere where you are going to PLAY.

Posted by: Ron16 | October 17, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Rooney to NYRB at 24? Uh-uh. Rooney to NRYB at 34? Probably.

Posted by: Juan-John1 | October 17, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

If I'm Freddy Adu, I'd be embarrassed. Swallow your pride and go were you can play. Then I can jump back on your bandwagon.

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 17, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow - we have a bit of a forward problem, huh?

Posted by: Kev29 | October 17, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Dempsey get the assist on Fulham's goal?

Posted by: BooThisMan | October 17, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't say, "missed"...

Posted by: cray | October 17, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Rooney to NY? Maybe Wayne Rooney's brother, who is probably going to sign with MLS in the off-season.

Best news for Freddy Adu is that he wasn't involved in the 4-0 drubbing.

On the other hand, even though he didn't play, you have to be impressed that Lichaj was in the 18 for such a huge match, against the league leader

And, yes, Dempsey had a very nice assist, doing all the dirty work and passing to the open man. Bradley also set up a goal.

Posted by: fischy | October 17, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm amazed that neither Goff nor SBI posted anything about the really big news on Sunday -- the Sunday Times (of London) finding scandal in the World Cup selection. The paper ran a sting on a couple of national reps -- from Nigeria and Tahiti -- claiming to represent American interests wanting to secure their votes for the USA bid. The thing is both reps explained what they needed -- mostly money for soccer and/or sport in their country. Not wicked graft, to be sure, but still enough to raise questions about the integrity and fairness of the process.

Beyond the mess this creates for FIFA -- do they have to replace these guys? -- I wonder if this is really bad news for the USA bid. Even though the so-called American lobbyists were really just part of a sting operation, it might make other FIFA reps worry about appearances, if they were prepared to vote for the USA bid.

Also -- I hate to engage in conspiratorial talk, but...You'd think the reporters might have been blind to the possibility of such consequences. Given that this had to be arranged long before the USA dropped the bid in competition with England, I have to question the motivation of the Times in choosing the USA bid group for the reporters' cover. I'm not saying that was their reason for doing this -- they wanted to find some scandal and sell some papers -- but, maybe, they weren't losing any sleep over possible damage to the chances for the USA bid.

Posted by: fischy | October 18, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Oops -- I meant to write:

You'd think the reporters might not have been blind to the possibility of such consequences....possible damage to the chances for the USA bid.

Posted by: fischy | October 18, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

You guys know I was just messin around with the Rooney stuff.

Brian Straus on fanhouse talked about it, aptly wording it that "Sunil and company must be pissed." Frankly, I certainly would be. What if they had gotten caught before the story came out? What if the voters had turned them in, or even just dropped a hint about Americans willing to buy a vote or two?

Granted, as corrupt as FIFA obviously is, the likelihood of it going down like that is nearly nonexistent, but still.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 18, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

I think the only team Freddy Adu could start for these days is DC United. Although it will probably be Baltimore United at that point.

Posted by: grognard66 | October 18, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: grognard66 | October 18, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

I remember when this list would have read:

John Kerr 90 in Derby County's...
John Harkes 30 in Sheffield Wednesday's...
Kasey Keller 90 in Millwall's...

And that was that.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 18, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone offer clarification? On Saturday night's Pachuca-Morelia telecast, one of the announcers continually to use the word "gringo" when referring to Joses Torres and Herculez Gomez. I've always thought this was a derogatory term when applied by a Latino to an American.

Posted by: runningcloud | October 18, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: runningcloud | October 18, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@runningcloud -- you're opening a can of worms. Perhaps you could search Insider's archive for "gringo". My take is that Mexicans are simply less PC, especially with respect to Americans. It's certainly rarely thought of as a term of endearment, but it can be. I guess context matters, as does intent...whereas somethings are just verboten here.

Posted by: fischy | October 18, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Didn't intend to upset any applecarts. My Spanish is almost nil, so I couldn't fathom the context. Since the word was repeatedly used, I'll give the announcer the benefit of the doubt and assume it was applied in an endearing manner. The telecast was on one of the U.S.-based Spanish-language channels aimed at a theoretically PC U.S. audience.

Posted by: runningcloud | October 18, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Marco Vidal continues to get a lot of playing time. Will he ever be considered for the national team? I think he can play left back.

Posted by: PeteO1 | October 18, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@runningcloud Here in Mexico, "gringo" is not derogatory; it's the standard way of referring to Americans in everyday conversation. As a US ex-pat, I use it myself ("estadounidense" is just way too cumbersome"). I imagine most other Latin American Spanish-speakers use it in roughly the same way. In the case of the announcer, it's safe to say that no offense was intended.

Posted by: BooThisMan | October 18, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, BooThisMan, for the information. I think my take on the word was formed long ago by cowboy movies where Mexicans were often the villans and used the "G" word derogatorily.

Posted by: runningcloud | October 19, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse