Bolivian president Evo Morales knees political opponent in groin during soccer match

And you thought the New York gubernatorial campaign had turned nasty.....

The player wearing No. 10 in an exhibition match in Bolivia didn't take kindly to a challenge. So a moment later, he retaliated with a knee to the groin. The player inflicting the painful payback: Evo Morales, the president of Bolivia. The victim: a political rival. Read about it and watch it:

By Steve Goff  | October 5, 2010; 9:25 AM ET
Categories:  Bolivia  | Tags:  Bolivia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday kickaround: U.S. Open Cup, Ivan Cordoba's injury, Americans abroad, Maryland vs. UConn, D.C. United's tattoos
Next: D.C. United news & notes: player shortage, trialist

Comments

Holy Pelotas!

Posted by: DadRyan | October 5, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

i am not surprised by the fairly vicious kneeing, but i am surprised that he isn't wearing a knit sweater.

Posted by: dfunkt | October 5, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I blame the altitude.

Posted by: Reignking | October 5, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Viva la revolucion!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 5, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

There's no such thing as a "friendly."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 5, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I assume Morales was playing on the left wing?

Posted by: Reignking | October 5, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I didn't see the ref signal a direct kick.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 5, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

No red card for this? I guess socialism means the government controls even the referees... :-)

Posted by: rademaar | October 5, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Can you really red card a President, especially one who plays dirty?

Posted by: delantero | October 5, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Knees to the groin are weak. A real President would have delivered a De Jong style kung-fu kick.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | October 5, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

The other player clearly took a dive (according to the Bolivian FF).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 5, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I'd pay to watch Dems vs Repubs.

I'm thinking Pelosi slides with cleats up on Boehner.

Posted by: delantero | October 5, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

It's good to be the...President.

Posted by: fischy | October 5, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Morales got him in the De Jong.

Posted by: Reignking | October 5, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

The player who was kneed lost weight - 28 pounds/2 stones.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 5, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Isn't this the same asshat that back Chavez in Venezuela? Typical behavior from an idiot.

Posted by: elfelixg | October 5, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Yes elfelixg. Both Chavez and Morales resist anything American, viewing it as attempts to promote a neo-conservative agenda. In the video, Morales demonstrates said resistance by crushing tea-baggers.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 5, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Political rivals in Bolivia hacking each other on a soccer field? I'll take it, it's progress.

“José María Linares Lizarazu (1857-61), a member of the elite that had opposed Belzú, overthrew Belzú's son-in-law, General Jorge Córdova (1855-57), and became the first civilian president.” . . . “The overthrow of Linares by a military coup in 1861 initiated one of the most violent periods in Bolivian history”

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 5, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 5, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Amazing!

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 5, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Don't like 'em? Quit pumping and snorting their exports.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 5, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I blame it all on Yanqui Cultural Imperialism and the poor example set by Eddie Lewis in the Sunday night ESPN game.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 5, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

beat me to it delantero.

Posted by: gooner71 | October 5, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd pay to watch Dems vs Repubs.

I'm thinking Pelosi slides with cleats up on Boehner.
===============

She'd have to wear the cleats before she could tell you what was in them.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | October 5, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Point well-taken, I-270Exit1. But everyone here in Bolivia knows that Evo's VP, Álvaro Marcelo García, is the real teabagger in the palacio.

Posted by: mmoretti | October 5, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

If only our president could find balls the way Evo Morales does ....

Posted by: lovinliberty | October 5, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse