Charlie Davies says he wasn't the driver of the vehicle clocked at 125 mph in France

The Charlie Davies saga took another weird turn today when the American forward, who is coming back from severe injuries suffered in an auto accident last year, claimed that he was not driving the vehicle that was clocked at 125 mph last week in France.

Sochaux teammate Jacques Faty was the driver, and when pulled over, they switched seats, Davies said.

"I knew he was driving a little fast but didn't know he was driving as fast as he was. Then I saw a blue flash from a police car."

On his Twitter page, Davies added: "I'm extremely sorry for the confusion as this is a serious matter."

So Davies lied to the police. And in the week since the incident, he, his handlers and Faty didn't bother to clear it up with authorities. ("Faty told the AP he plans to go to the police this week.") Maybe they thought it would just go away? Between the time the incident occurred and the news surfaced, ESPN The Magazine published Davies's sympathetic, first-person account of last year's crash.

Last fall, as the U.S. team prepared for its final World Cup qualifier, Davies broke curfew for a night out in Washington. Davies was a passenger in a car that went off the road on the George Washington Memorial Parkway. Another passenger died. The driver, who was not formally identified by U.S. Park Police, suffered minor injuries. She has not been charged. The Post reported last winter that the driver said she had been drinking.

By Steve Goff  | October 9, 2010; 3:24 PM ET
Categories:  France, U.S. men's national team  | Tags:  Charlie Davies
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday kickaround: USA-Poland, Americans abroad, D.C. United-San Jose, Maryland routs Virginia Tech, Serbia-Estonia video
Next: Matchnight: D.C. United vs. San Jose Earthquakes

Comments

Cmon Steve, that's a little harsh. Him and Faty are close friends, in the intensity of the moment, he helped a friend out. Let's not try and blow this out of proportion.

And you left out the part where Davie's chair was laid down so he couldn't tell how fast Faty was going. What you quoted makes Davies sound like an idiot.

Posted by: keano16united | October 9, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Keano, Steve isn't trying to make Charlie look like an idiot. Charlie is doing a pretty good job of that himself.

Posted by: biga116 | October 9, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Davies is even dumber than I thought before...

Posted by: mbyrd28 | October 9, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

What a freaking idiot! Driver or not, he almost died a freaking year ago and he's going to get in a car with this clown hawling a$$?

Posted by: ericruenes | October 9, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Looks like neither we nor Charlie should pencil him in to the 2014 line up. His behavior points at not being around for it.

Grow up, Charlie.

Please.

Posted by: seahawkdad | October 9, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Without condoning Charlie's behavior, I've gotta say you are a bunch of sanctimonious old grandmas.

Posted by: glfrazier | October 9, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

@glf you are right but Davies comes off like a a stupid frat boy.

Posted by: bighungry | October 9, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

glfrazier, it's not being grandma-like to note that Davies nearly died (and his friend did) in a speeding vehicle less than a year ago.

Keano, he was laying down so he didn't know the car was going 125??? C'mon. Ain't no way you could be in a car at that speed and not know it's going absurdly fast.

Incredibly poor judgment by Davies.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 9, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Oooh that smell, can'tcha smell that smell . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | October 9, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

The Charlie Davies Fan Club is entertaining. We can root for him as a footballer and also realize he was a huge missing piece from the World Cup squad, but I know I will continue to question his off-the-field behaviors. I guess it is just disappointing. Furthermore, I may be a Grandma, but I know I have never driven 120 mph and I likely would not have had I been in his situation. Maybe I'm a Fuddy Duddy, but oh well.

Posted by: biga116 | October 9, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely agree. What a bunch of sanctimonious nincompoops. Charlie's fine, this is no big deal.

Posted by: popopo | October 9, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Lying to the cops in a situation like this is self-evidently idiotic. Given that most of the commenters simply called Charlie an idiot, I fail to see the sanctimony. It's not like anyone said "Charlie Davies is worse than Hitler".

Posted by: BooThisMan | October 9, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

glfrazier & popopo,

BooThisMan is right. People here aren't moralizing, they are calling Charlie an idiot. Do you really disagree so strongly? are you trying to make a point that this incident somehow reinforces the notion that Charlie has a keen intellect and excellent judgement?

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | October 10, 2010 3:29 AM | Report abuse

More details on the Charlie Davis' saga. According to l'Equipe, Jacques Faty, the alleged driver, did not have a valid driver's license at the time of the event. His license was previously suspended.

Posted by: charlie015 | October 10, 2010 5:50 AM | Report abuse

Idiocy #1: Driving without a license when there is another licensed drive in the car.
Idiocy #2: Driving 125 mph when you don't have a license ("I'm going so fast the cops won't even see me.")
Idiocy #3: Driving 125 mph when your teammate almost died in a crash that killed another person and put him out of soccer for over a year.
Idiocy #4: Lying to the police to protect the one responsible for 1-3.

If calling someone out for bad behavior makes me a sanctimonious grandma, then hand me my knitting needles. I'd get them myself, but my rheumatism keeps me in this rocking chair,

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 10, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Charlie is an idiot. He should never wear the US jersey again.

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | October 10, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse