D.C. United news & notes: player shortage, trialist

D.C. United will be severely shorthanded for Saturday's match against the San Jose Earthquakes at RFK Stadium.

International duty: Dejan Jakovic (Canada), Julius James (Trinidad and Tobago), Branko Boskovic (Montenegro).

Suspended: Andy Najar (yellow cards).

Injured: Bill Hamid, Juan Manuel Pena, Barry Rice, Marc Burch, Rodney Wallace, Chris Pontius. (Pena, out since early July with a quadriceps ailment, is not expected to play again this season, General Manager Dave Kasper said.)

Forward Adam Cristman has recovered from minor knee surgery and joined practice today. "Adam ran around the field a little bit and did some passing -- terrible passing, but he was definitely passing out there," interim coach Ben Olsen joked. "It's nice to see him back, and he comes back at a good time for us because of our numbers. We want to be smart but we certainly could use a guy like him on the bench."

With the personnel shortage, United will be allowed to add a defender from a lower-division club not involved in the playoffs. The identity of the player should be known by tonight. Meantime, the club's search for possible 2011 signings continued with the arrival of Jackson Bengon, an 18-year-old striker from Cameroon, for a week-long trial.

For a fan's view of United's 1-0 victory at Colorado on Saturday, read Jeff Maurer's latest blog entry.

By Steve Goff  | October 5, 2010; 1:10 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bolivian president Evo Morales knees political opponent in groin during soccer match
Next: NCAA men's and women's soccer rankings

Comments

bummer about the suspension. This will be my last game of the season and I was looking forward to seeing Andy play one last time.

Posted by: fedssocr | October 5, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Even more bummed when I went back to look at the match report and see his latest caution was for delaying a restart in the 85th minute. Talk about stupid yellow cards...

Posted by: fedssocr | October 5, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Kid deserves a break, I'd rather see him miss games due to a card than due to the injuries that attack our team. Add another thing to the list of stuff DC can't defend against

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | October 5, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Any chance they can appeal to the league for a waiver to let Conor Shanosky dress?

Posted by: mercedeskk | October 5, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Player shortage? Is Franco Niell back?

Posted by: Reignking | October 5, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Niell and Q2

Posted by: fedssocr | October 5, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

What's going on for Moreno? Are they pulling out all the stops on 10/23? I can't see any other reason to pay cash money for that game, but I would like to pay respects if they're actually gonna do something and do it right.

Have I missed some news on this? I haven't heard anything.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 5, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping to go to the last game on the 23rd and do it up right with the tailgate. Again, I'm talking about at least one 1/6th keg of some tasty beer and some meat on the grill. Hopefully Najar will play, and we'll have something special for Jaime going on.

I'm looking at you OWNTF, and for the love of god where on earth has JkR been these days? Holler.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 5, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I was in Bolivia for a friendly I was playing in.

You wouldn't believe what happened...

Posted by: JkR- | October 5, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

JkR, you're nuts.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 5, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Well, the decision on whether or not to attend this game or the Caps' home-opener Saturday is getting easier and easier.

Posted by: stwasm | October 5, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

JkR, you're nuts.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 5, 2010 2:56 PM |

Not mine, thankfully. I cover so little ground, I didn't make the vid...

Posted by: JkR- | October 5, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I just hope to read some reports of the season ticket holder/front office Q-n-A sessions.

That'll be good reading I'm sure.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 5, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Cristman?

We are so *$%^ed.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | October 5, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

does this mean Jaime will actually get to play this week?

Posted by: fedssocr | October 5, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Lyle Adams is still without a club, for some reason. Sure, you'd want someone who's game fit, but maybe someone who's practiced and played with the team might work...

Posted by: fischy | October 5, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF and anyone else on this board unaware of the Jaime tributes. Do you guys ever check out dcunited.com or their facebook page?

They are doing 23 days of nothing but Jaime Moreno tributes with articles, video and photos. And they plan on honoring Jaime on the 23rd as I'm sure that the Barra, Screaming Eagles, LaNorte and District Ultras all will have something planned that is pretty special as well. I'm sure it will be a big celebration and I know that Andy and Jaime or supposedly being honored this weekend at Latinfest as well. I'm excited for that game on the 23rd. It would be great if there is a big crowd at RFK on the 23rd to pay Jaime is much deserved final respects with DCU.

Posted by: I-95Exit43 | October 6, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse