D.C. United rewind: 3-2 loss to Toronto FC

*Post photographer John McDonnell presents a moving set of images from Jaime Moreno's farewell Saturday night at RFK Stadium.

*My full match report.

*On April 10, Moreno and Santino Quaranta scored in a 3-2 loss to Philadelphia. Last night, Moreno and Quaranta scored in the 3-2 loss to Toronto. Neither scored in any other match. Spooky.

*United set the league record for scoreless efforts (17) and fewest goals (21) in a season. Its 6-20-4 record (22 points in 30 matches) was the franchise worst, surpassing the 8-18-6 mark (30 in 32) in 2000. Worst teams in MLS history, based on points:

2001: Tampa Bay 4-21-2 (14)
1999: New York 7-25 (15 -- 4 regular wins, 3 shootouts)
2006: Chivas USA 4-22-6 (18)
2005: Real Salt Lake 5-22-5 (20)
2009: New York 5-19-6 (21)
2010: DCU
2003: Dallas 6-19-5 (23)

For more.....

*Moreno won't be the only departure from this roster. Among the high-profile players, Juan Manuel Pena, who didn't play for months after injured a quadriceps, won't be back, and Danny Allsopp is all but certain to leave. Their combined based salary: $380,000. The midseason acquisitions are scheduled to return: Branko Boskovic has a guaranteed contract for 2011 and Pablo Hernandez is locked in through July 1.

*Former United players Christian Gomez (Miami FC) and Fred (Philadelphia) were in attendance, joining ex-DCU stars Marco Etcheverry, John Harkes and Eddie Pope.

*The turnout of 18,071 was the largest at home since the first two matches of the season at RFK: 20,664 vs. New England and 18,407 vs. Chicago.

*United owner Will Chang was in Philadelphia last night, watching the San Francisco Giants win the National League pennant and advance to the World Series. Chang is a Giants investor.

*Ben Olsen doesn't seem likely to be retained as head coach, but with two years remaining on the contract he signed last winter, he is probably going to stay on the staff. Kris Kelderman, brought to DCU by former coach Curt Onalfo, is also under contract for 2011; he could stay, be bought out or find a new job and leave on his own.

*Olsen: "I've seen hopefully the bottom. I've seen how bad it can be throughout the season, as far as wins and losses and things not going your way, injuries, signings not working out, referees not always on our side. And probably bad coaching [on Olsen's part] -- I'm sure we can throw that in there. It's been a perfect storm. When that happens, you learn a lot. If you can get through this and keep your head up and have the guys continue to work for you, I think that is a feather in my cap in some circles."

"We're not that far away. We need a goal scorer. We need a different pulse in a lot of ways. With Jaime leaving now, it is even more crucial to get some leaders that are going to put their stamp on this team. You add one, two, three pieces, I like our chances. That's the beauty of this league: You have a season like this and you start again. Look at New York this year. You can change it very quickly."

By Steve Goff  | October 24, 2010; 11:54 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Jaime Moreno leaves the match in 82nd minute, ending his D.C. United career
Next: American soccer players abroad

Comments

Goff: the 1999 Metrostars finished with 15 points.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | October 24, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I was there last night - Chang was not. He is not an "investor" in DC United, he is "THE" owner. Chang's uninvolvement is a key factor in the team's poor performance on the pitch.
I did not see the first goal, we were behind the Screaming Eagles Jaime Tribute sign, so I was watching on the big (OK, medium sized) screen.
Whenever United and the city get around to building a stadium and selling the naming rights to some corporate supporter, they should still name the pitch "Jaime Moreno Field" at such-n-such stadium.

Posted by: soccerman | October 24, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

So, we're *definitely* going to win the East next year? ;-)

Like RBNY last season, DCU's interim coach didn't win a lot of matches, but had the team playing better generally, and that's encouraging. Apparently with this group, having *something* to play for makes a difference, as they really looked alive last night. The crowd too. Let's see some of that desire right out of the gate in '11!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 24, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

No offense to anyone, but AP's photo coverage was far superior. 35-image gallery here:

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 24, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I like Dave Johnson, but he sure was goofy getting into all the photo ops.

Posted by: AlbertHall1 | October 24, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

As much as it pains me to say it, I'll take Allsopp over Pablo. Although erratic, at least Allsopp found the back of the net. I guess if I was in total control, I would show both the door. And I read on another DC paper's site a Payne interview that says Bennie will most definitely not be the head coach next year.

Posted by: nairbsod | October 24, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

And so begins the winter of discontent. I will relish this last match wrap-up as long as I can.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 24, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

cue the silly season in 3-2-1....

Posted by: nairbsod | October 24, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

OT: Maryland women knock off the third-ranked Albicelestes in Chapel Hill, 2-1. Hoyas get a 1-1 draw against fourth-ranked Notre Dame. Virginia and WVU win.

Posted by: universityandpark | October 24, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@soccerman

Chang's absence last night had nothing to do with the team's performance. Continuing to use players such as Jakovic and others who make the same mistake to cost the team goals over and over and over and over again has hurt the team's performance.

There's no way anyone in their right mind should have though Chang was going to be at the DCU game last night. He was part of Giants' ownership before he owned DCU, and while I'm sure he has nothing but respect for #99, I'd bet seeing his Giants go to the World Series was more important to him. Can't even say I blame him.

And other than Moreno's farewell, nothing about last night's DCU game was any different than the script we've seen all year anyway.

Posted by: writered21 | October 24, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I had way too much of a fantastic time last night regardless of the score line. Paid for it dearly today while trying to work the NOVA beer fest in Centerville. I saw at least one face I've seen at RFK there today... was it you?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 24, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Awesome Jamie got the goal, very sad to see him go but it was time. The loss blows, sums this team up. After watching the highlights Graye has had way to much suckage for one season, horrid defender, the pass on the 3rd goal he leaped over. WTF?!?!?!?!? Pathetic.

Posted by: Lot8Date | October 24, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

@writered21:

You're making soccerman's point. The question isn't whether DCU is number one for Chang; clearly it's not. No surprise there. What's in doubt is how far down the team is on his list of things to tend to. Results say United is not very important.

Posted by: mjorp | October 24, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Cunningham did not score, so Jaime is still ahead 133-132: http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2010-10-24-los-angeles-galaxy-v-fc-dallas

Posted by: Pedalada | October 24, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

That huge soccer ball was a cool gift. Class from the Barra. Real class.

Posted by: Matte | October 25, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I know Gallardo cost the team 3x what Pena and Allsopp did, but I submit the money spent on those two represents the biggest salary waste in the team's history.

Posted by: fischy | October 25, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse