Jaime Moreno news, notes and video

*MLS Commissioner Don Garber will attend Jaime Moreno's farewell match with D.C. United on Saturday night at RFK Stadium. Former teammates Marco Etcheverry, John Harkes and Eddie Pope are also planning to be there.

*Don't forget to join Moreno for a live online chat today.

*Moreno will launch his 99 Dreams 1 Heart Foundation with a party after Saturday's match at 19th Enjoy Your Round (19th and I streets NW in Washington). The charity will benefit disadvantaged youth through soccer and contribute to organizations that support Lyme Disease research and treatment. Moreno's wife and two youngest daughters have battled the disease for several years.

*Insider loyalist Andrew Esprella has assembled vintage Moreno video in a 9 1/2-minute package, including his famed run for Bolivia against the USA at RFK in 1996:

By Steve Goff  | October 21, 2010; 11:25 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United, MLS  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday kickaround: concussions, Red Bulls-Revolution, Jaime Moreno chat, CONCACAF, WPS, Georgetown, TV listings
Next: Weekend soccer TV listings: MLS, Mexico, Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, NCAA

Comments

Thanks Andrew.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 21, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Nicely done. Was glad to see the goal versus Chivas (Mexico) from a couple of years ago. That's one of my all time favorite Jaime goals.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | October 21, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Sweet stuff.

The music's good, too, but there's gotta be away to incorporate "Johnny Walker, you got burned!" into that soundtrack somewhere.

;)

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 21, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Wiill the Commisioner be attending the final Q/A with Kevin Payne? He might have some questions about what is going on here at the "flagship" franchise....

Posted by: DCB23 | October 21, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

100-plus goals: amazing

100-plus assists: remarkable

Humiliating Matt Reis multiple times: priceless

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 21, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Goff, any word on whether a decent crowd is expected for this match?

Posted by: foul_throw | October 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Jaime certainly deserves a high quantity crowd for the game, and I hope he gets it notwithstanding the team's lackluster performance; Jaime will certainly get a quality reception and outpouring from those of us who have marvelled at him from the beginning.

Posted by: Section304 | October 21, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section304 | October 21, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Ah nostalgia for the days when MLS fields were horrible and DC United was good . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | October 21, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Jaime with pace was awewome to watch. His ball control was, and still is, amazing and combining that with pace is something else. I remember a quote from Bryan Namoff from 2 years ago that Jaime was still the fastest on the team with the ball.

DC United has a promotion with Arlington Soccer youth program and a fair number of tickets were purchased so hopefully that adds up to a great crowd on Saturday.

Posted by: tcbannon | October 21, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCB23 | October 21, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

There is only one question the commissioner would care about with respect to DC United. When and where are you finally building the damn stadium?

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | October 21, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

For those of you going through World Cup withdrawal, here is an interesting interactive site about the fans around the world and the 2010 World Cup

Posted by: GeneWells | October 21, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

grrrrrr Hulk score!

Posted by: Reignking | October 21, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Moreno beating Agoos ... good times.

Posted by: lasoccer | October 21, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm worried about attendance. I called the ticket office two days ago in order to apply my Flex Vouchers for six seats and when the lady said "Anywhere in particular you would like to sit?". I crossed my fingers and said "Anything left on the noisy side?" And she said "Sure! I can put you right behind the Barra Brava or Screaming Eagles". "I'll take 'em!" I said. I just hope they were holding out some seats there on purpose. Those should have filled up long ago. At least good weather is expected.

Posted by: WorldCup | October 22, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Goff, any word on whether a decent crowd is expected for this match?

Posted by: foul_throw |

I'm worried about attendance

Posted by: WorldCup |

My ticket rep told ME that the two extra seats I wanted were as close to my season seats in the Nest as she could put me, but not THAT close because, she said, the really good seats were all sold

Incidentally, Goff, will you be reporting be reporting on the Screaming Eagles' new plans for the Nest, announced this week?

Posted by: DCUSince96 | October 22, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse