Matchnight: D.C. United vs. San Jose Earthquakes

Greetings from RFK Stadium, where D.C. United will play its third-to-last match of 2010 and captain Jaime Moreno is expected to feature in the lineup in his penultimate appearance at home in the red-and-black uniform. After tonight, all that remains of this long, troubling season is a trip to Chicago next weekend and the grand farewell for the brilliant Bolivian on Oct. 23 against visiting Toronto.

Kickoff: 7:30 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet Plus, Direct Kick.

DCU's lineup and the few available reserves to come.....

DCU: Perkins; Graye, Zayner, Simms, McTavish; Varela, King, Morsink, Quaranta; Moreno, Hernandez. Subs: Harrison, Rodrigues, Carreiro, Allsopp.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame observations are welcome.

By Steve Goff  | October 9, 2010; 5:46 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Charlie Davies says he wasn't the driver of the vehicle clocked at 125 mph in France
Next: Matchnight: United States vs. Poland friendly

Comments

txting frm i-295, doing 125 mph. hope 2 make it by kckoff

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 9, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Alex Prus and MLS officiating get worse by the year. Why the hell was Jaime kicked off? This is why I hate the MLS.

Posted by: no_recess | October 9, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

If someone can explain the double red, please do.

Posted by: tcbannon | October 9, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Dear Msr. Prus. Bite me.

Posted by: freeholdsouth | October 9, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watching on directtv? Ch. 643 is not working......

Posted by: 22206no1 | October 9, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

More interestingly, anyone watching?

Posted by: seahawkdad | October 9, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

BTW, only on Direct Kick on Dish. They're carrying the CSN feed. Hockey game on CSN.

Posted by: seahawkdad | October 9, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Is the game streaming anywhere?

Posted by: Chewie- | October 9, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Anyone got a result?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | October 9, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

DC 0 - 2 SJ

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 9, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

thanks

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | October 9, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I've said this before: we don't have a striker. Allsopp and Cristman (who didn't dress) are the closest we have. Jaime hasn't been a real striker for years, and Hernandez, despite his obvious gifts, is like Jaime and looks to make the final pass instead of taking a crack at goal.
And Graye made yet another mistake (letting a ball bounce in the box) which cost a goal (the first). BTW, Convey looked good. I think he leads MLS in assists. Assuming they gave him one on the second (I think) goal he now has eleven.

Posted by: b18bolo | October 9, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: b18bolo | October 9, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

A hard game to sit through on so many levels, props to all the fans who showed up and did what they could!

Highlights:

--99 balloons, I'm guessing, released at 1:39 by the Ultras/La Norte.
--Simms is not a bad CD.
--Once again, more possession and more pressure on the opponent, especially in the first half.
--Varela finally got some touches, and did well with them. He's still not really in the game though.

Lowlights:

--Jaime. WTF dude? Two touches, I think, and ejected.
--Cheap (if well taken) SJ goals enabled by poor marking.
--Hernandez walking in on goal, twice, and not even getting a shot off, among countless great sequences that went for nothing.
--Glacial pace, especially with 10 v 10. Most WPS matches have sharper ball movement.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 9, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone read lips?

Guess Jaime pulled a Zidane. Sad way to go out.

Posted by: goonerunited | October 9, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

That may have been the most bizarre game in this most inexplicable of seasons.

The same stupid AR who cost us the goal with his bad offside call in the last match is the one responsible for getting Jaime sent off. That "conference" took forever because he seemed to be trying to convince Prus to send off Moreno too. Very strange. He was joking around with SJ's players on a few occasions after that as well.

But it was not the referees who got Hernandez to not shoot on his glorious chances.

Or who caused Graye to watch the ball instead of marking no 8 on the first goal. Jordan's had his chances to learn from his MANY past mistakes. Yet, here we are again.

I like Varela though. Smart. Good with the ball. Frustrated that his teammates refuse to play quick. He can stay along with Najar.

Junior did some good things too.

But this match was torture. I should have gone to the Hoodoo Gurus show instead.

Posted by: fedssocr | October 9, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

We gotta find out why Jaime got tossed. There may have been something legit but there's nothing I saw on those distant replays.

With all the absences Jaime Moreno was only the reason for many DC fans to go see tonight's game and Prus put an end to that almost from the start.

What a terrible night for DC - just like so many others this year. Pretty good 1st half but unable to finish chances. Then a defensive error allows SJ their only chance right before halftime and Wondolowski buries it. Then in the 2nd half Perkins starts things off by flubbing Convey's cross and sets up Wondo for #2.

At least Rongen and Limarzi were letting players like Graye and Hernandez have it. Even our homers in the booth couldn't pretty this one up.

I was able to switch over to the US-Poland game at halftime and the end of the DC game just in time to Onyewu and Jermaine Jones flub their own clearances to set up Poland's goals. My goal differential in 2+ hours of painful viewing is -4!!!!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 9, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

After watching the replay, I must really wonder what motivates Prus and the AR. This is now two matches where Prus has chosen to double the fouls instead of giving DCU an advantage. As for the AR, he should never be allow at a DCU match again. I'm having difficulty remembering any fouls (save offside) that he called against a DCU opponent.
If memory serves me correctly, he's the same AR that helped Ben off the sidelines at the last match when he told Prus what he "saw." Can someone say "biased?"

Posted by: carnack | October 9, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

goals for 19. goals against 44.

Posted by: castroviejo | October 9, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

So, I was watching the replay -- don't ask me why -- having missed it live and not knowing the result. I won't say I was enjoying the game, as it was pretty awful soccer, but I was watching it with some interest. THen, ny eyes caught the ticker for a second because it flashed up the 2-0 final score. C'mon, CSN, can't you keep that score off your own telecast? SPoiling the score yourselves? Ridiculous.

That said, Verela looked pretty good in the opening half. If United ahd more dangerous attackers for him to work with, we might have had some goals.

Posted by: fischy | October 10, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

so I showed up to the game about 15 minutes after kickoff, and have spent the last few hours miffed that Moreno didn't play. ha. I guess I should have noticed that it was 10 v 10...

Posted by: VTUnited | October 10, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse