Matchnight: USA vs. Colombia friendly

phillybridgeppl.jpg

Greetings from the shores of the Delaware River for tonight's friendly between the United States and Colombia at PPL Park in Chester, Pa.

Nice view. Pleasant evening.

Since the alarming news broke on the Insider last week that only 6,000-plus tickets had been sold for this second U.S. friendly of the international fixture window, sales have not picked up. The total reached 7,000 last night, but the chances of reaching 10,000 seem slim -- disappointing but somewhat understandable. (We discussed the reasons behind it last week.)

Nevertheless, Bob Bradley has another opportunity to test a defensive corps in transition. In the 2-2 draw with Poland on Saturday in Chicago, he turned to Maurice Edu, a defensive midfielder, in a central back role. Tonight, expect to see Eric Lichaj, an emerging prospect with Aston Villa, and perhaps Michael Parkhurst at some point.

TV: ESPN2, Galavision.
Coverage begins at 8 p.m. ET, kickoff at 8:25.

Back with the lineup and reserves later.....
USA LINEUP: Guzan; Spector, Onyewu (captain), Goodson, Pearce; Edu, Jones, Bradley, Holden, Shea; Altidore. Reserves: Howard, Lichaj, Parkhurst, Feilhaber, Bedoya, Feilhaber, Dempsey. Looks like the USA will play in a 4-3-3 of sorts, with Edu supporting Jones and Bradley, and Holden, Altidore and Shea in attacking mode.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame observations are encouraged. Enjoy.

By Steve Goff  | October 12, 2010; 6:02 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team  | Tags:  U.S. national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NCAA men's and women's soccer rankings
Next: Some final thoughts and observations from the U.S. national soccer team's 0-0 draw with Colombia

Comments

I'd like to see Brek Shea for at least 45 tonight. He came on as a sub for Dallas on the weekend, so he oughta be fresh enough.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 12, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, the (lack of) attendance is stunning. We're three months out from the most high-profile World Cup run in USMNT history. These guys were national heroes a few weeks ago. It's hard not to pin this on U.S. Soccer, who must have really dropped the ball with this game -- whether it was poor promotion, high ticket prices, whatever.

It's gonna be kind of embarrassing to have this game on national TV, to be honest.

Posted by: BChris | October 12, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I suspect Colombians will come out of the woodwork but it still means a drive to Chester. If it were here, I would be there.

Posted by: sbg1 | October 12, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Our man Boskovic and his Montenegrin buddies held jolly old England to a 0-0 draw at Wembley, keeping themselves at the top of the group.

Posted by: glfrazier | October 12, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Gooch is captain.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 12, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Don't let the new franchise and a few Sons of Ben fool you, Philadelphia is not a soccer town. It's a meat and potatoes, 19th C. immigrant town - not a model for success in US soccer.

They could have played at crumbling RFK tonight and drawn over twice what they'll get in Chester. And Philly and Baltimore could be MLS rivals in a couple years? Sort it out USSF and MLS...

Posted by: Kev29 | October 12, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

"Gooch is captain."

It's sort of like Bradley has been quietly flipping the bird at AC Milan this past week.

Posted by: BChris | October 12, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks twitter:

When Brek Shea takes the field tonight, he will be the first player born in the 90's to win a cap for the full national team.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 12, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

FIRE BOB (because he is experimenting) HOW DARE HE!!!!

Actually, I really like this line-up. Well I could care less about our backline. We all know Boca and Dolo will start back there and I am unconvinced about Goodson and I am really interested in our young CBs getting a look.

What I do like is the midfield. I can't wait to see Bradley, Edu and Jones combine. Also, I want to see Brek Shea because I have really enjoyed his play in MLS this year.

BUT FIRE BOB YEAAAAAAAAR!!!!!!!!!!! haha

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 12, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Also, what does this say about Onyewu? Clearly he is healthy. Does this mean he really has no chance to play at Milan? I would imagine yes. I am not saying Gooch is a bad player. In fact, I think he is a decent CB; but I mean come on, he was never and will never be a Milan (or other top quality team) player. I'd be shocked if he got more than 3 apps. for Milan this year.

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 12, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

FYI game is also on ESPN3.com

Posted by: grabowcp | October 12, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

1. Time to bring the USMNT back to DC. RFGK is still a great stadium in which to play -- even if playing hear tempts certain young-un's to break curfew.

2. We are playing with only one up top in a HOME game? That sucks.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | October 12, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Two typos in one short post. Sigh....

Posted by: DCUSince96 | October 12, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

From that angle it looks like you can drive over the bridge right on to the stadium roof. Talk about freeway access.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 12, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

The real embarassment is $225 sideline seats for a meaningless friendly.

Posted by: scap777 | October 12, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm expecting Shea to be wide left and Jozy alone with 3 supporting mids.

We'll see, I guess...

Posted by: JkR- | October 12, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

leave it to Philly fans to turn the anthem into a flippin cacophony...

Posted by: VTUnited | October 12, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

3 of the 4 starting defenders have looked very poor in their last 5 or so appearances, hopefully Goodson can cover for all of them.

Posted by: Dancy1 | October 12, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Heath Pearce shaved his mustache...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 12, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Spector is awful. We really need some decent defenders.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 12, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29, a little harsh on Philly Phooty Phans. They've had every dollar wrung from them this summer. It's a big ask to attend every event, especially a useless friendly, particularly when the Phillies are ascendant.

Posted by: JkR- | October 12, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

BTW, neither Holden nor Shea are being used for proper width. Holden needs to stay out of the middle, with Edu, Jones and Bradley in there. You shouldn't need Sir Alex Ferguson screaming at you to understand your role with this group...

Posted by: JkR- | October 12, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Shea looks lost...thought he'd show a bit better.

Posted by: soccerman | October 12, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Shea looks lost...thought he'd show a bit better.

Posted by: soccerman | October 12, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Did we get a shot in that half?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 12, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Did we get a shot in that half?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 12, 2010 9:15 PM

I fell asleep for minutes 36-42, but I didn't see any while I was awake...

Posted by: VTUnited | October 12, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey, guys, changed email, now have a 1 at the end.

Ironic, because this is the formation that we should be starting Holden or Feilhaber or Torres in.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | October 12, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

First half: No. Width. At. All.

Posted by: JkR- | October 12, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Eric Lichaj. With his heritage, he could play for the USA, Poland, or Germany.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 12, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

We look better in a 4-4-2. I think the first half showed edu's limitations. He can disrupt attacks but he is limited in distributing the ball or going forward. Dempsey is class. EJ still looks scared. Lichaj is clearly one for the future.

Posted by: grubbsbl | October 12, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts on the whole through 80:

Sigh.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 12, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

The stadium looks about 60% full...and half of those are wearing yellow jerseys.

Posted by: soccerman | October 12, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Lichaj looked more comfortable in the first half of his USMNT career than Heath Pearce has ever looked.

Posted by: VTUnited | October 12, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Who cares. Juan Pablo Angel says he's leaving the Red Bulls. Let the shameless, nothing-to-lose tampering begin.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 12, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

OT:

Anyone know the date of Moreno's first game at RFK in an United uniform? Was it the August 25, 1996, match against Tampa Bay? All I've been able to come up with is "late August" -- whatever that means.

Posted by: Curious99 | October 12, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

This new coach sucks. I'll give him a couple more world cups to prove he can move US soccer forward.

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | October 12, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Kev29,

You're off. Not way off but off. The city is fine and the team is actually on track for 14k season ticket holders next year which will be 2k more than this year.

US Soccer DID NOT promote this game at all. Alot of season ticket holders didn't even know about this game until the end of last week.

Your right however about being a soccer city. It is not. But it's growing and thats the good news.

I can however unerstand you wanting to pretend that there is a more dire situation than DC's but there really isn't. That being said I certainly hope you guys turn it around on the field and get the stadium you deserve.

Posted by: sire1 | October 12, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Did I mention that J. Harkes is an idiot? He starts ranting on about Jozy's "offside" starting position as "unforgivable. Jozy's starting position is what made the play work and produce a goal, even if it didn't count. The problem wasn't his starting position -- he was supposed to be behind the wall so he could float freely. He just made his break towards the wall too late, or Benny hit it too soon. Either way, the timing was only a tenth of a second off. It was a nice play. I hope we see it again

A minute later, even after watching a replay of Jones being completely beaten and kicking the Colombian player in the shin, Harkes mystifyingly pronounces that Jones got the ball. Then he notes that he might have caught the Colombian on the follow-through.

Idiot. Please tell me that the DCU front office isn't looking at him as a coach....

Posted by: fischy | October 12, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | October 12, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

The day that happens is the day I start supporting the Pink Cows.

Posted by: kdiff813 | October 13, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | October 12, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rainORshine | October 13, 2010 3:11 AM | Report abuse

The lack of support by Phili, a city that begged for an MLS franchise and has an amazing new venue is sad.

Hopefully the US Soccer decision makers chose not to reward this city with another international game anytime soon.

Where have all the US Supporters gone?

Posted by: cwimmer77 | October 13, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse