MLS playoff matchups, regular season honors, Jaime Moreno maintains all-time scoring title

EASTERN CONFERENCE
1. New York (51 points) vs. San Jose (46)
2. Columbus (50) vs. Colorado (46)
WESTERN CONFERENCE
1. Los Angeles (59) vs. Seattle (48)
2. Real Salt Lake (56) vs. Dallas (50)

The dates and locations for the two-leg series are listed here.

SUPPORTERS' SHIELD: Los Angeles.
(Galaxy and Crew have won it three times, D.C. United four.)

GOLDEN BOOT: San Jose's Chris Wondolowski 18 goals.

MOST ASSISTS: L.A.'s Landon Donovan 16.

ALL-TIME SCORING: FC Dallas's Jeff Cunningham (132) didn't score in 67 minutes Sunday night against the Galaxy, leaving Jaime Moreno as MLS's career leader (133) as he departs United. There is a remote chance that Moreno will resurface in the league next year, but more likely, he'll play in Bolivia or retire.

Vote in the Insider poll:

By Steve Goff  | October 25, 2010; 7:15 AM ET
Categories:  MLS  | Tags:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: PSV Eindhoven 10, Feyenoord 0
Next: Ben Olsen will not be considered for D.C. United's head coaching job, club president Payne says

Comments

Congrats to the Galaxy for winning the (de facto) league title. They were simply the best team over the course of the season. Now on to the end-of-season Cup competition!! Come on you Quakes!!

Posted by: cidcamp70 | October 25, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Excellent match last night, really fun to watch. Honestly, I don't think there was a single match from DCU that was start-to-finish entertaining for me. Sad. This must change.

Posted by: DCB23 | October 25, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Do playoff goals not count for career goals? Cuntingham could have 5 more before the end.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | October 25, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

I see Kasper and KP keeping their jobs, so don't get yuor hopes up that there will be substantial or meaningful change this offseason. Will is simply not a confrontational man. When it comes to his approach to running a sports team, he is more of a gadfly who just likes the access to the inside of the teams that his money affords him. He is a San Franciscan who is not agressive by nature, so don't expect him to do anything.

Also, with his Giants in the World Series, he is simply in too good of a mood to deal with any unpleasantries.

Furthermore, his number one priority with DCU is not changing the management so the team is more successful, but getting a new stadium either in DC, the DC suburbs, or somewhere else. He has bought into the notion that a new stadium equals much-improved fortunes on the field. Whether this is horse before the carriage I don't know.

Expect the downward spiral to continue.

Posted by: lgm6986 | October 25, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Agree with IGM6986, about a probably downward spiral to continue next year. Especially if our offense is based around Boscovic, (I'm on the ground again) Hernandez and lack of touch-- Tino, and (I just didn't see the runner behind me) Graye!!

Posted by: patrick18 | October 25, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Your reasoning is awful, lgm.

While I agree that the priority is the stadium, it should be. However, nothing is happening on that end, and I can absolutely see Chang change things in the front office -- he isn't blind, and has seen attendance drop.

Posted by: Reignking | October 25, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Great. ESPN will kick off its playoff coverage with a televised look at empty seats in Colorado on Thursday. And their only really juicy first round match up they are competing against SNF two weeks in a row. Why cant they have a doubleheader on Friday night, when there is really not too much competition in the televised sports world?

This might be a repost from last year, and the year before that, and the year before that...

Posted by: rademaar | October 25, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Hard for me not to say RSL. I know they're going to score goals, and not give up hardly any, especially at home. But I also know that LA has looked darn good with Beckham back healthy, and Buddle is going to score if Becks or Donovan don't. (Also, Sean Franklin is a freaking monster.) I also know NY hasn't really played with Angel-Henry on top of Ballouchy-Lindpere-Marquez, and that that could very well be a goal factory.

Oh, and that Columbus is without their first choice keeper, Colorado just isn't good enough.

San Jose is a darkhorse

Seattle looks fresh, particularly Mr. Zakuani.

That Dallas just hasn't convinced me they're ready for this step

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 25, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

In my opinion RSL or Seattle will win the MLS Cup.

On a side note, Does anyone know when the DCU equipment sale is?

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | October 25, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Again, this playoff format is terrible. LA and RSL get rewarded for their dominance by having to play the better 2 of the lower 4 teams? The best 2 teams should play the worst 2, end of story.

Posted by: Matte | October 25, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

First rule of the DCU team sale: You don't talk about the DCU team sale...;)
Should be next month or perhaps December Man. DCU's facebook page or their twitter will probably be the first indicators of the date though.

RSL should win. Couldn't stomach a Seattle or New York MLS Cup.
However New York getting it, would give me hope that you can go from rock bottom to the top between two seasons. Giving me more hope for United's return to glory.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 25, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

They are selling DCU?

Posted by: Reignking | October 25, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Selling their smelly used socks...

RIP Gregory Isaacs.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 25, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

@United008!
If you still want a Jaime Poster let me know.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 25, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I think LA has the best chance to win the Cup although I would have picked RSL if they had home field advantage at Rio Tinto.

But I don't think LA deserves huge credit for the Supporters Shield. The Galaxy, Seattle, and Toronto all got bounced out of the Concacaf Champions League while Columbus and RSL advanced. Those last 2 teams deserve higher credit for a season well done than the other teams in MLS.

MLS Cup is the big shiny prize everyone wants.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 25, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Joel on the Cup winner. I was picking RSL for the last month or more. For some reason, though, I went with LA in the poll. One big factor would be the home-field for the conference final. MLS has to be drooling over the prospect of a Beckham-Henry final.

I take issue with Joel for dissing the Galaxy's accomplishment. They were missing their top two scorers for over a month with the World Cup. They missed their marquee player for most of the season. They've also had other injuries throughout the lineup -- Franklin, Lewis, Berhalter, etc. The team took a risk in CCL play, playing mostly very young reserves, and it bit them in the rear -- but, they needed to rest players.

Posted by: fischy | October 25, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

im routing for the galaxy.

i think they play the most attractive football.

i love watching donovan, buddle and ricketts.

i agree dc united matches this year were awful to watch. no team concept. inabiltiy to cross pass finish.
ugly football.

Posted by: castroviejo | October 25, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

im routing for the galaxy.

i think they play the most attractive football.

i love watching donovan, buddle and ricketts.

ugly football.

Posted by: castroviejo | October 25, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm picking Colorado.

Posted by: Reignking | October 25, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Could Ben Olsen be DC United's Jason Kreis?

A new stadium would certainly help.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 25, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan -

If united008 never speaks up for it, I'd love to get one. Since I'm part of the Flagstaff group, you could just send it with grubbsbl's. I hadn't realized there was an effort to get them to us United fans in exile - oh well.

Posted by: Josh86 | October 25, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

im routing for the galaxy.
Posted by: castroviejo
============

One man with so much control over the internet.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 25, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Josh86, notation has been made. If there isn't one for you in the end I'm sure grubbs will let you stare at it at one of his infamous viewing parties...;)

Posted by: DadRyan | October 25, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if that seems so disjointed, that's what happens when I type away in a rush on iphone at work. My points still stand, no matter how unreadable they may be.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 25, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

If the package never reaches Flagstaff, you'll know that the DEA intercepted it.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 25, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The Supporters Shield winner gets my respect no matter what. LAG got the most points in MLS.

'nuff said.

As for MLS Cup, my personal preference is ABNY (Anyone But New York).

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 25, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

My points still stand, no matter how unreadable they may be.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 25, 2010 1:09 PM
==========================

You'll have to pass it before we can understand it.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 25, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

donovan/buddle seems like a winning combo in 2010. wish BB would have thought of it. then again, robbie findley is a solid alternate option for RSL...

Posted by: rainORshine | October 25, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

RSL. Well organized and (usually) make the most of their chances.

Seattle could make life miserable for LA with a first leg win. I'd put a fiver on that one.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | October 25, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the Supporters Shield is meaningless but LA had 6 fewer games than the teams in CCL had. So they get to use their best available players much more down the stretch without worrying about overtaxing them.

LA had a strong season but I don't think their achievement thus far is quite as good as what RSL and Columbus have done.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | October 25, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't underestimate Andy Gruenebaum in goal for Columbus. His experience as the starting keeper in Champions League will be valuable (he started US Open Cup too, but that is not quite the same as playing Santos Laguna, CSD Municipal, or even Joe Public).

Crew vs Galaxy in Toronto. You heard it here first. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 25, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I can't root for it as the playoffs are unfolding but I would love to see a NY vs LA MLS Cup. It would be a marketing sensation for the league.

Posted by: croftonpost | October 25, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse