Thursday kickaround: concussions, Red Bulls-Revolution, Jaime Moreno chat, CONCACAF, WPS, Georgetown, TV listings

*The hot topic in American sports these days (besides Brett Favre's antics) is the rash of concussions, which has prompted action by the NFL and become a troubling trend in soccer. Last month, I told the story of Alecko Eskandarian, who returned to the University of Virginia after his career was derailed by concussions. Today, I share another case, women's standout Lori Chalupny, who continues to play in WPS despite not being cleared by the USSF to rejoin the national team. Read the story.

*The New York Red Bulls haven't beaten the New England Revolution in more than five years, but with a victory tonight at home (7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2), they'll clinch the top seed in the MLS Eastern Conference. A loss or draw will clear the way for the Columbus Crew, which is a point behind and will host Philadelphia on Sunday.

*In conjunction with The Post's Web site, D.C. United captain Jaime Moreno is hosting a live online chat at noon today. Submit your question and follow the exchange by clicking here.

*Olimpia and Toluca secured the final two slots in the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals.

*WPS released the names of protected, unprotected and free agent players ahead of the expansion draft and winter signing period.

*The Georgetown men's team (9-4-1) has won seven straight after defeating Pittsburgh, 1-0. The Hoyas are first in the Big East's Blue Division, ahead of nationally ranked Connecticut -- the teams will meet next Wednesday in Washington. Next month, the conference tournament's semifinals and final will be staged at Red Bull Arena.

For TV listings.....

*Soccer on TV:
Europa League, Stuttgart-Getafe 1 p.m. GolTV
Europa League, Atletico Madrid-Rosenborg 3 p.m. GolTV
England, Bristol City-QPR 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Plus
MLS, New York-New England 7:30 p.m. ESPN2
CONCACAF, Joe Public-Columbus 8 p.m. FSC, Galavision

*16 Europa League matches are available on DirecTV.

By Steve Goff  | October 21, 2010; 9:12 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League, College Soccer, D.C. United, MLS, TV, Women  | Tags:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: San Jose's Chris Wondolowski nets hat trick, ties Edson Buddle for MLS Golden Boot
Next: Jaime Moreno news, notes and video

Comments

do we know whether these soccer players getting multiple concussions are wearing any sort of mouth gear/guard? would that even help?

Posted by: nairbsod | October 21, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I know we have a lot of coaches here and overgrown athletes (who think ETOH after head injury is sufficient! :)

The "Colorado" concussion guidelines and management are as follows:

Grade 1

1. Confusion without amnesia
2. No loss of consciousness

Evaluate athlete immediately and every 5 minutes. Athlete may return to play if amnesia or symptoms do not appear for 20 minutes.

Grade 2
1. Confusion with amnesia
2. No loss of consciousness

May not return to play. Examine the athlete the next day. Athlete may return to play after one week if asymptomatic during that time.

Grade 3
1. Loss of consciousness of any duration

Transport athlete to the emergency department; athlete may return to play if asymptomatic for 2 weeks and cleared by neurologist or neurosurgeon.

Posted by: delantero | October 21, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

For those so inclined to read about concussions, etc:

Posted by: delantero | October 21, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Are kids banned from heading the ball? Up to what age?

When will we see all soccer players wearing headgear?

Posted by: Reignking | October 21, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I really hope that soccer players take concussions much more seriously than football players. Some of those mongoloids from the NFL do not even understand that the league is has their best interest in mind and fines are not being levied in order to create revenue. The effect of brain injuries are difficult to determine and could result in severe behavioral issues.

Posted by: no_recess | October 21, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

The guidelines for players returning after concussions may change, as those are from 1999. Returning to the field after 20 asymptomatic minutes might not be appropriate and it risks a second injury. The keys, though, are the late symptoms (delantero's link, Table 2). Detecting those are hard, especially if a player tries to cover them up to return to playing.

I don't teach my U9s heading. I've done PubMed searches and realized that we don't know enough about head injuries, especially to a developing brain, for me to be comfortable with heading at that age.

Headgear as a preventative measure may happen if enough high-profile players leave the game. Of course, European soccer is the model for everyone, and it's a business. So I don't expect any changes to equipment or rules.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 21, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I know! Each team should have its own color headgear -- think about how easy it would be for the viewers to spot the players.

Everyone can look like Clint Mathis.

Posted by: Reignking | October 21, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

But the concussions don't typically come from just headers, do they? Eskandarian, kicked in head by Reis; Chalupny, punched in head by Solo; etc. I'm not sure, though. I know that Eskandarian's second concussion was from a ball kicked at him by an AC Milan player, but I wouldn't call that a regular header. I can't remember what knocked Namoff out.

I've shown my U11 girls how to do headers if they want to, but only one does.

I would support headgear. That silver medalist US pole vaulter dude from the China Olympics could be our role model, seriously. "I can break any other bone in my body and be fine," I remember him saying.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 21, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I have a friend who is a college goalie, and he wears a full helmet. The Beat had a couple of players (McCall Zerboni and Mama Yaniguchi) each take headshots early in the season, missed a week or two, came back, wore the headband style one for a couple weeks, then went back to normal.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 21, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

2004 Olympics pole vault -- Toby Stevenson. Time flies.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 21, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

When I was a kid, getting a concussion was just getting "knocked out"...

Posted by: Reignking | October 21, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

But the concussions don't typically come from just headers, do they?
Posted by: fallschurch1
==========

The big, detectable concussions come from things more traumatic than a normal header. But what are the cumulative effects of smaller brain insults, especially on developing brains? No-one knows.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 21, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

A true story for those who fondly remember the old WNT commercial "I will have two fillings" -- background is Girl 1 is required to wear protective headgear due to injury, Girl 2 is one of the captains.

OWNTF: Hey did Girl 2 get a concussion? Why has she been wearing the headgear the last few games?

Daughter of OWNTF: No, she said if Girl 1 has to wear one of those things, then she will wear one too.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 21, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 21, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse
===============================

Therefore coaches should not be calling their young players pea-brains or bird-brains.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 21, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Everyone can look like Clint Mathis.

Posted by: Reignking

But how would everyone show off their fancy hair cuts?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 21, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

One invaluable post-trauma diagnostic tool is a pre-trauma baseline measurement. These should become as standard as the pre-season physical in all HS contact sports, and serious club programs above "heading" age.

I think most (but not all) parents would rather have some of the club dues go to baseline scans than to some of the garb the kids are required to purchase.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 21, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

according to recent research, concussions and brain trauma may cause a buildup of specific proteins in the spinal cord, eventually leading to degenerative motor neuron disease and/or dementia. this would explain the high incidence of als in football and soccer players. however, these researchers believe that the athletes do not actually have als but a different (and potentially curable) motor neuron disease that mimics als and is caused by the concussion-like trauma.

Posted by: alexisJ | October 21, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 21, 2010 11:22 AM

--I have heard of one long-term study of Dutch soccer pros, though.

I'll bet many youth leagues will come out with guidance for coaches and parents in the next year or two. "Don't worry too much about headers, but headgear is fine, go for it," something like that.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 21, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I tried wearing one of those headband things, but they don't stay on my bald dome. So I'm thinking of stapling Velcro to my head to make it stay.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 21, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse