Tuesday kickaround: U.S. Open Cup, Ivan Cordoba's injury, Americans abroad, Maryland vs. UConn, D.C. United's tattoos

*The largest crowd to witness a U.S. Open Cup final -- around 30,000 -- will be at Qwest Field tonight when the Seattle Sounders host the Columbus Crew. Kickoff is at 10 p.m. Eastern time on Fox Soccer Channel and Fox Deportes. For the most comprehensive preview of the match between MLS rivals, check out Josh Hakala's independent site.

*Inter Milan defender Ivan Cordoba will miss Colombia's friendly against the United States next Tuesday in Chester, Pa., because of a leg injury. Here is Colombia's original roster.

*Americans abroad:
English Football League Trophy
D Frank Simek and Carlisle vs. MF Jemal Johnson and Port Vale
MF Anton Peterlin and Plymouth at Cheltenham

*In a huge NCAA nonleague showdown in College Park tonight, Maryland of the ACC (5-2-1) hosts Connecticut of the Big East (7-0-2). Meantime, Virginia seekis to extend its undefeated series record against Liberty to 19 when the sides meet in Charlottesville.

*D.C. United's Santino Quaranta and Clyde Simms talk about their tattoos:
<a href="http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/video?vid=bb51120a-d36b-467b-b86b-917019d3ec3d" target="_new" title="">Fast Lane: DC United show their Ink</a>

By Steve Goff  | October 5, 2010; 9:03 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, College Soccer, D.C. United, U.S. Open Cup  | Tags:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Real Madrid wins, Barcelona draws
Next: Bolivian president Evo Morales knees political opponent in groin during soccer match

Comments

I'm reconsidering handing out temporary soccer ball tattoos to my U9 team. The temporary stuff might be a gateway tattoo.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 5, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Ha! I think the opposite 270, I'm hoping the ink my wife and I have plus the rampant temporary tattoo applying will make her think tat's are for squares by the time she gets to an age when she can start thinking about real ones...

Posted by: DadRyan | October 5, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

My kids know I don't want them to look like the sides of freight rail cars they see passing through Gainesville.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 5, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

The great American philosopher/poet, James Delaney Buffett on the subject:

She was no Marine back from the Philippines
She was their pride and joy, their incarnation.
Her parents viewed the Chief
With shock and disbelief
Looking for some other explanation.

The Indian on her back was poised for an attack.
She said 'a tattoo is a badge of validation'.
But the truth of the matter is far more revealing.
It's a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

Permanent reminder of a temporary feeling
Amnesic episodes that never go away.
It's no complex memento, it's no subtle revealing.
Just a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 5, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say tattoos?

Oh hush. You knew it was coming.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 5, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Why worry about your kids? I did everything my parents told me to do. Hence why I get to fill my 2nd tear drop in a few weeks

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | October 5, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

@I-270. I did't want to have to do this, but what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 5, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

If you haaven't checked out MLS's kick-of column today: -- Former (2003) DCU assistant (current U of Wisc. head coach) John Trask back-hands Piotr Nowak's accomplishments with the 2004 DCU team.

"Unfortunately, we didn't get to see the fruits of our labor," Trask said. "The following year a new coach walked in with many of the same pieces of the puzzle that we put together and they won the Supporters Shield and the MLS Cup."

Posted by: fischy | October 5, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@TenoriosLaptop: I have no idea what that even means.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 5, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 5, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

DC has a professional soccer team? I had no idea - have they played recently?

Posted by: nairbsod | October 5, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Nick Rimando has the most tattoos of any former or current DCU player

Posted by: Section107 | October 5, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Footballers just have too much time on their hands. If they're not dyeing their hair, or getting a clown-cut, they're getting inked.

What a waste of their 20's that they don't get up to something useful with all that free time.

Posted by: gooner71 | October 5, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Santino can get a "Memento"-like series of tattoos reminding him of what, where, and why he's supposed to do on the pitch. Something like, "Pay attention!" would be what he should consider first.

Posted by: gooner71 | October 5, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Like ZZzzzz's in the comments section about the women's game, folks who have no understanding of tattoo culture might wanna just keep out of a post about tattooed players, eh?

We can never hate the player
You can only hate the game
You can never point your finger down at me
We don't need no constitution
We don't need no mass confusion
We don't need a president to tell us we're freeeeee
Everybody wants a little taste of Anarchy...

"Like a Dog"- Long Beach Dub Allstars

Posted by: DadRyan | October 5, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I have no understanding of tat culture, but I would have been far more interested in that clip had I known in advance that the reporter was Temryss Lane.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 5, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, gotta love someone quoting Long Beach Dub Allstars.

Their 1st album was very good.

And as far as tattoos go, I'm getting my who leg, or at least from knee to ankle done. Gonna be a sweet sleeve.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 5, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Tattoos and knees to the groin. It's Johnny Knoxville Day at Soccer Insider.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 5, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Temryss Lane

Posted by: bs2004 | October 5, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say tattoos??

We came to town to see
That ol' tattooed lady
She was a sight to see
Tattooed from head to knee

My Uncle Ned was there
He came to gape and state
I've never, he declared
Seen such a freak so fair

And on her jaw
was the Royal Flying Corps
And on her back
Was the Union Jack
Now could you ask for more?

All up and down her spine
Were the Queen's Own Guards in line
And all around her hips
Sailed a fleet of battleships

And over her left kidney
Was a birds' eye view of Sydney
But what we liked best
Was upon her chest
A little home in Waikiki!

("The Tattooed Lady," performed by The Kingston Trio, from the album "String Along with The Kingston Trio")

Posted by: SportzNut21 | October 5, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan, I admit I do not understand the tatoo culture, but to each his own. It's your skin to do with as you please.

I only wish that when skinny 17 year-old girls get tattos on their calves or ankles they didn't turn into 77 year-old women wearing capris.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 5, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, the 77 year-old women could use this product.

Oh hush. You know it was coming.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 5, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, 17 year old girls are actually not supposed to be tattooed unless their parents sign some sort of waiver. That certainly didn't stop my wife from getting one when she was 17 years old at particular Arlington tattoo shop many moons ago... As she says, their fake ID's didn't rate the "real artists" in the shop and her fading tattoo from that day shows it... :) Personally if I was a tattoo artist I wouldn't tattoo kids even with their parents permission.

Again BaRRD, I should have clarified that my problem doesn't lie with folks who don't know anything about it trying to comment on it, but if it prompts a closed minded, negative response (or two for that matter) why bother?

I love tattoos, wish I had more. They happen to be fairly expensive and harder to justify with the cost of living and our pay scales here. I need to know more tattoo artists who want to trade beer for chair time.... hint, hint... hint....

Posted by: DadRyan | October 5, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse