Video: Columbus Crew goalkeeper Will Hesmer scores tying goal in final moments against Toronto

With time melting away at BMO Field and his club trailing Toronto FC by a goal, Columbus Crew goalkeeper Will Hesmer scored the equalizer off a corner kick -- the second goal scored by a keeper in MLS history (Danny Cepero of New York did it in 2008 against the Crew).

Get Microsoft Silverlight

By Steve Goff  | October 16, 2010; 6:34 PM ET
Categories:  MLS  | Tags:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: D.C. United at Chicago Fire
Next: American soccer players abroad

Comments

of course it took the calamitous play of an ex-DCU goalkeeper to allow that goal to happen.

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 16, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

How about the win in Philly. Not a bad first year for an expansion team with a roster at the beginning of the season that looked like it would guarantee a last place finish.

Shame we don't have people like Nowak as our coach and Fred on the field playing his proper position...

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 16, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Hesmer showed some serious coolness by hesitating until the defender in his face went to ground before shooting.

Posted by: b18bolo | October 16, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

what's Fred's proper position? On the bench? Sure woulda done United more good than the couple thousand give aways that bamma produced. I won't even get started about the balloons into the upper deck. Hopefully his brother is less worthless than he was.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 17, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

The stat that kills DCU - 19 goals

But the stat that really kills - 127 shots on goal (10th in MLS)

Our ratio of actual goals to shots on goal is an absolute MLS record low at 14.9%. The average in MLS, excluding DCU, is 28% or close to double DC.

Individually we do have some stand-outs
Najar – 38.5% on 13 SOG
Pontius – 33.3% on 6 SOG
Allsopp – 26.3% on 19 SOG

…and some straight up disasters – the guys who wouldn’t get passed the ball near the goal on most DC rec teams
Quaranta – 4.5% on 22 SOG (by far the worst in MLS for over players with over 20 SOG)
Hernandez – 0% on 15 SOG
Boskovic – 0% on 7 SOG
King – 0% on 7 SOG

With the expansion draft coming up I think I know who I would leave unprotected.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 17, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

I saw Hernandez get a shot on goal tonight though... beginning of the 2nd half. Or did my eyes deceive me?

Posted by: DadRyan | October 17, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I agree trading Fred to Philly in return for being able to take Perkins was a genius move especially after we got rid of that worthless keeper Rimando.

On the other hand you could say Fred was pretty useless at DCU because he was partnered up with extremely athletic players like Emilio, Gomez and Moreno who were already eligible for social security along with newbie Boyzzz. Those guys always made quality runs for him and he had so many quality defenders behind him who could pick up the slack if he was making runs up front (to cover for the golden girls).

Now compare that to putting him on the outside working with a decent defender like Harvey and giving him options like Le Toux, other Moreno, Mapp and Salinas to send crosses in to and wait he is actually a top player.

But we have Perkins so there.

Posted by: Southeasterner | October 17, 2010 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Back to McBride. The following is from BBC boards when he was retiring from Fulham.

A couple tid bits from the BBC board....

________________________________________________

10 reasons why I love Macca B

1) He is so very wholesome
2) He works so very hard
3) He is so committed
4) He is a model pro
5) You never see him diving about, trying to get people booked etc
6) He jumps like a magnificent salmon
7) I have never seen him lose a header
8) I have never seen him give less than 1 gazillion percent
9) I like the way he loves God
10)I like the way he always talks about how much he loves his bird and kids
sorry one more
11)When you meet him at Family days and that he is so polite and friendly and MAGIC and great
and one more
12)When he won the player of the season I thought he might burst with pride, he was so happy
and
13)Coleman loves him, he is always banging on about how GREAT he is for the club and what a model pro he is

He does look very 80s I agree and very much like an american that loves God, but I don't find him physically sexy or anything. My love for him is more pure than that...

"Is it because he never shirks a physical challenge and is silent and unretaliatory like the best heroes?"

Great Line

____________________________________________________

Every fan notices the class way he conducts himself on and off the pitch, and the noted professionalism and workrate second to none. However, he could not have survived in this game had he not had some skill as well. His touch is oft overlooked and his intelligence and instincts for the game are rare.
Someone mentioned Sherringham and that is an apt description. His passing and footwork are overlooked due to his aeiral prowess. He IS everything Mark Viduka should be if he had the drive and attitude Mcbride has.
It is interesting. McBride is almost the "anti-type" of the modern player. Modern player is money driven, spoilt beyond reality, undisciplined at times on and off the pitch, goes down easily, bitterly complains at any tackle, and the modern player is selfish on the pitch and "looks for his own", McBride does not;etc etc etc. As a yank, I find McBride the quintessential English style centre forward. He will not be replaced on our side, is an understatement. Our weakness is at forward and he was basically all we had up top and it was our undoing.

Posted by: RetiredShark | October 17, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

It must be the second goal for a keeper *in the run of play,* right? I think I've seen Matt Reis score a PK after a tied game.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 17, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: birdynumnum | October 16, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Not really. The shocking thing was how open the defense left Hesmer to shoot. Once he settled the ball, it was basically a PK.

Posted by: stancollins | October 17, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

fallschurch1:

Reis has scored during a couple of penalty kick tiebreakers, but never in MLS play. He might have scored a goal during an actual game in the Open Cup or Superliga.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | October 17, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm following college soccer across cyberspace this afternoon:

Interestingly, some conferences use the current international system (a win is worth three draws) to calculate standings, whereas others still use the old system (win=two draws). An example of each:

Posted by: universityandpark | October 17, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Elitist universities. Teaching our children that the "international way" is better than the good ole American way! I'm homeschooling my kids through graduate school.
Send me your cash, I need to build a stadium on "campus."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 17, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I checked the nets and now remember where I saw Reis score a PK in an MLS game: The big 2004 conference final against United. The Revs site confirms.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 17, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse