Wednesday kickaround: Maryland, MLS scouts, USA-China, TV listings, Frank Simek's winning PK, MLS-WPS players' unions

*Sixth-ranked Maryland handed No. 2 Connecticut its first loss, 1-0, in College Park. Among the witnesses at Ludwig Field: D.C. United interim coach Ben Olsen and technical director Chad Ashton; Real Salt Lake executive Garth Lagerwey; Houston Dynamo assistant Steve Ralston; former DCU coach Curt Onalfo; and representatives from the Philadelphia Union and New York Red Bulls.

They got a first-hand look at UConn junior midfielder Tony Cascio, who was impressive in open and tight space, and Maryland sophomore Ethan White, a composed, smart and athletic center back. Cascio has been in Real Salt Lake's developmental academy in Arizona for several years and White is affiliated with D.C. United. Will they end up as homegrown signings or land in the MLS draft in coming years?

*The U.S. women's national team faces China in another friendly tonight at PPL Park near Philadelphia (7 p.m. ET, ESPN2). Pia Sundhage made three changes to her gameday roster. Other TV matches:

Copa Sudamericana, Newell's Old Boys-San Jose (Bolivia) 8 p.m. ET, Fox Deportes

Mexico, Chivas-Morelia 10 p.m. Telemundo

*American defender Frank Simek converted the clinching penalty kick following a 2-2 draw in Carlisle's victory over Port Vale in the Football League Trophy tournament.

*Union news: The MLS players' group says language in the new collective bargaining agreement, which was reached last winter, is still in the process of being finalized and won't be available for public review for several additional months. The delay will not jeopardize the pact. Meantime, the newly formed WPS players' union has formed an interim bargaining committee: Kristine Lilly, Erin McLeod, Rachel Buehler, Meghann Burke and Allison Falk. A date to begin negotiations with the league has not been set.

By Steve Goff  | October 6, 2010; 9:54 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, College Soccer, MLS, TV, Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: spectacular backheel goal in N. Ireland
Next: U.S. national soccer team ticket update for friendlies against Poland at Soldier Field and Colombia at PPL Park

Comments

Re-posted from another thread:

Feel free to skip, but I had to get this rant off my chest.

An Open Letter to DC United

Sirs:

We were excited when we received our season tickets in the nifty cardboard box, emblazoned “It Takes More”. We naively believed that meant more from the club. We have come to understand that it was a warning; that it takes more from the fans.

More money(I): the season ticket cost is outrageous. For what we spend we could go to 33 Nationals games. Worse, our DCU season tickets cost MORE than our Manchester United Season tickets. Perhaps you’ve heard of them? THEY win trophies.

More money(II): $10 for a Bud Light? Really? Speaking of which, it takes

More walking: to find a concession stand that’s open.

More Kleenex and WetWipes: before I’d even think of going to the ladies room. And that’s in the club seats.

More recycling: throwing away unused tickets. With Man Utd we are able to sell most of our unused tickets back to the club for resale to a waiting list. We cannot even give away our DCU tickets.

More frustration: this is a professional sports team run like a yard sale. Who makes the personnel decisions? Who are these high-priced flops? (I leave it to you, Dear Reader, to determine if that applies to designated players or the Front Office.)

More patience: yes, yes, yes. Adrian Fenty and all that. But that was four years ago and since then nothing but empty or broken promises.

More loyalty: I am not a fair-weather fan. I grew up in Philly, a city that went more than two decades without a championship in any sport. I know hope and failure. This is worse.

No more to say: I’m sure we’ll go to a couple of games next season, but we will not be renewing our season tickets.

Sincerely,
M11, Row 1, on the aisle (retired)

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 6, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

1. Good for Sauerbrunn!

2. I guess Lilly is the "good cop" to all those tough defenders and goal keepers. A collective bargaining agreement may be wishful thinking at this point, though.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Well in, BaRRD.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | October 6, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Black and RED- Go see the FREEDOM(DC's winning soccer team) play they are awesome!

Posted by: 10bestfan | October 6, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

$10 for a Bud Light? That's awful. I can get one at a Braves game for $6.25.

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Man U ought to raise their prices, sounds like.

So Man U tickets must be waaaay less than NFL tickets, right? How do we explain this? There's a sports/pop economics story idea for someone -- you're welcome.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 6, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

And at the Plex, you can get a Bud Light in a Freedom can sleeve for $5, and stand close enough to heckle Hope Solo.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

BaRRD, why do you post this here instead of actually sending it to somebody in the organization?

Posted by: spidergoose | October 6, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts on the sale of Liverpool to the Red Sox ownership group (New England Sports Ventures)? I always figured Kraft would be the one to take the plunge, but he does not like leagues w/o a salary cap. Henry's hedge funds have been beat up by redemptions the past few years, so I wonder how he is financing this, especially since RBS is the one pushing Hicks out.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | October 6, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Premier League leaders Chelsea could be without Yossi Benayoun for most of the season after the Israeli FA revealed he has suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon.

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spidergoose | October 6, 2010 12:10 PM

Because I thought the people here would feel my pain. Have no such illusions about anyone in the organization.

Maybe Mr. Goff could put up a poll: Send it to the organization? Save the stamp? We could all vote.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | October 6, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2010 11:55 AM
__________________________________________

Heck, you can get one of several craft brews for the same $5.

Posted by: universityandpark | October 6, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2010 10:35 AM
__________________________________________

My workplace was unionized two years ago. Because it is a government agency, there is almost no latitude to bargain over the usual things such as pay and benefits, but the union still finds ways of making itself useful.

Posted by: universityandpark | October 6, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I know exactly what you're saying, BARRD. I had a half hour conversation with someone with DCU this spring after I got a call asking why I hadn't renewed my season tix yet. Alot of what you have in your letter is what I spoke with that person about. Nothing has changed and the impression I got from the call, nothing is going to change anytime soon. I got the impression that they don't believe anything major is wrong. Save the stamp.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | October 6, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@dcusince96: you in RSA? I'm in Mauritius, but pass through pretty regularly.

Posted by: troy6 | October 6, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I could get something else, true.

But this is the famous Budweiser beer. I know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Their exclusive Beechwood Aging produces a tase, a smoothness and drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price. Brewed by their original all natural process using the Choicest Hops, Rice and Best Barley Malt.

Quite simply, the King of Beers.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF: thanks for the laugh! :-)

Posted by: nairbsod | October 6, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure they're $5.50 at Beat games, but I don't buy stuff in stadium unless I absolutely must, just cause it's so darn expensive.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 6, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

If Alex Morgan is in the lineup for the WNT tonight, will they be televising the match in Chile?

Posted by: universityandpark | October 6, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Tweet by Ives........

"The Seattle Sounders might want to buy the URL WeWinTrophies.com now that they have two. Who owns that again?"

We know that he is a big time RBNY fan, but this is a jab at the Red and Black. And IMHO unnecessary...maybe such mocking can be fuel for the players and FO going forward.... as a fan, I hate being at the butt-end of these snide remarks.

Posted by: londonboy | October 6, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

for those complaining about the beer prices, get The BeerBelly (or for the ladies, the WineRack). I've never had a problem getting in with it on, and if the guy next to you says something - just refill his beer cup and all is forgotten. :-)

Posted by: nairbsod | October 6, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@londonboy: the FO set us up for ridicule. One more thing to add to BaRRD's list.

@troy: while you're there, say hello to my father's brother's wife's family - if they haven't all moved to London.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | October 6, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

waaaaaaaaaaah

DCU deserved to be mocked. I already made the joke in another thread.

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@fallschurch1

Old Trafford holds 75,000+, putting it on par with most NFL stadiums. but the EPL teams get 19 home games per year, plus FA Cup and League Cup games, plus Champions League games (at least 3 most seasons), plus, well I'm sure there's something I am forgetting. So let's say about 25 games per year, which is 3x what an NFL team plays. NFL teams derive a lot of their revenue from TV rights, not to mention merchandise, concessions, etc. ManU should derive a lot from all of those as well, so even if their tickets were 1/2 the price of an NFL ticket, they could still bring in as much if not more revenue every season.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 6, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

News for RFK Raccoon:

"D.C. Council tentatively approves bill on animal- and pest-control firms"

Posted by: Pedalada | October 6, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

While I wouldn't pay even $1 for a Bud Light, in defense of the beer prices @RFK:

They've got big cups. Ya can't compare the price at a @RF Braves game because, I'm guessing, it's a smaller beer. I think you can still get cheaper bottles of beer if you want, from the guys walking about the stands at RFK.

$10 for a big cup of Guinness or Bass is a a pretty good deal,sh there were more beer stands, at least more that offered some variety -- I really miss the Dos Equis and the Negra Modelo...if anyone knows where they might be hiding, do tell. That said, if you're less discriminating, the 24 oz cups of Modelo Especial and Corona (also $10) are also a pretty good deal.

Can't say the same about the team on the field. The talent seems to have gone the way of the Dos Equis and the Negra Modelo... If anyone knows where it's hiding, please contact the front office.

Posted by: fischy | October 6, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Reignking: agreed, they have earned it

No Waaaah! have no problem with jokes/ridicule here.....by us (fans) just don't like to see it elsewhere

Posted by: londonboy | October 6, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

All this talk about Bud Light (the best!) is making me thirsty. Can't wait til I get home tonight and roll one out of the pack in my fridge.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW you couldn't pay me to drink any kind of beer out of a tap at RFK. I shudder to think the last time those lines were properly cleaned.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

And for the first comment of the day that has to do with Goff's posting...

Wow. That's quite a turnout of MLS big shots for a college game. The players they were looking at must be pretty special. Also, did Onalfo and Olsen sit together? Or if apart, was it awkward? What was Onalfo doing there anyway? Does he have a next gig lined up?

Posted by: WorldCup | October 6, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF -- Hadn't thought of that, but it's more reason to buy one of those double-sized Modelo or Corona cans, and watch them open the can and pour it for you.

As for Goff's post, I'd bet both Cascio aand White end up as homegrown signings, assuming the salary cap exemption still applies. RSL and DCU would be able to offer them more money than other teams would for a first-year player. White and Shanosky could anchor DC's back-line for years to come

Posted by: fischy | October 6, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Onalfo seems to go to a lot of UMD games. I was sitting a few feet away from him during the NC State game a couple of weeks ago. I felt like I should say something to him; it was awkward.

Posted by: empsg59 | October 6, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

And to tie this whole thread together --

I was walking to my (former) seats at a DC/Galaxy game the 1st year of Gonzalez and DelaGarza -- hard to believe that was just last year -- with my Bud Light (the best!) -- when Sasho comes out of the mezz and asks me, "Hey, where'd you get that?"

I realized he probably didn't hit too many United games if he didn't know where to get a beer. There were a lot of Terps on the field that night.

Posted by: OWNTF | October 6, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like I might need to go get banned over at Ives again... lol. Ives is a sucker, and I bet he blocks me just for saying so here... You know he reads this.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 6, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan, who would you like to see start at defense for the USMNT against Poland?

Posted by: Reignking | October 6, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

BRRD - it has the ability to be far more effective here than if you mail it in, IMHO.

I think we as fans should chip in and buy, write and design the website www.weusedtowintrophies.com, and make it an open appeal to Will Chang to shake things up.

Posted by: dsheon1 | October 6, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching the WNT bs China?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | October 6, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

dimes,
My friend Gordon Gekko says they should not have an attitude of "well, we're making enough, since these fans buy our reasonably-priced tickets 19x per year" but rather "zounds, we have a wait list for our tickets, let's jack up prices until we find the 75,000 people with the most disposable income."

Meanwhile at our local FO they're saying, "Bummer, people aren't renewing tickets because they're not happy with the product - we'll have to raise the prices on the people who are coming back."

Posted by: fallschurch1 | October 6, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

@RK, I think I might be missing the game to go camping for a couple nights. That being said I have no idea. Does this Lee High kid play on the right or the left? I take it from all the groaning that Spector sucks worse than ever. What good is Goodson? Looking at this list of defenders I feel like you oughtta drive me to a Park in a Hearse and Pearce my Gooch...
But seriously, I'm not sure. I'd love to play a little FIFA with these guys in the mix and get back to you.

I'd love to hear stories of new guys getting a run and doing well.
Not sure why Boca and Dolo are there....
You tell me.

Posted by: DadRyan | October 7, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

ESPN you S@CK for interrupting the USA WNT vs China game last night!!! We missed the sequence that led to the game's first goal. I was tuning in to watch soccer. If I wanted to watch the baseball game I would have. Can't you have the simple courtesy to wait until halftime?

Posted by: 10bestfan | October 7, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

$10 for a Bud Light? That's awful. I can get one at a Braves game for $6.25.

Posted by: Reignking

===========

I can watch the game at home and spend $8 on a sixer of Sam Adams. That means no commuting, no Metro, and above all, no seeing that abomination of a team (in the Old Testament sense of the word) on the field.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | October 7, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Bestfan-I agree. The baseball updates could have waited. Also the sound was bad and faded in and out a lot. ESPN has some explaining to do!
FYI ,brews are all $5 at the Plex for Freedom games.

Posted by: ksowa | October 7, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse