Introducing the American soccer player who jeopardized the U.S. Women's World Cup hopes

By Steve Goff

Veronica Perez was on a bus on Interstate 5 this afternoon, making a three-hour trip to Portland with the University of Washington women's soccer team for the NCAA tournament. She is a volunteer assistant coach who completed her college career last year, an anonymous job that someday might land her a head coaching position.

Perez, however, is hardly anonymous. Since last Friday, the American forward has been a Mexican soccer hero.

By scoring the go-ahead goal in a 2-1 victory over the United States in Women's World Cup qualifying, she contributed to probably the greatest upset in women's soccer history and one of the most significant in international women's sports.

For more.....

"It was a little weird at first," she said of playing against her homeland. "Some of my friends asked me, 'How can you play for Mexico? You live in the United States!' But part of me is Mexican."

Perez, 22, was born and raised in Northern California. Her mother Irene is originally from Ciudad Juarez, just across the border separating Texas and Mexico. Her father Bernardo was born in the States to Mexican immigrants. Veronica understands Spanish but doesn't speak it well. She played youth soccer for PSV Union FC and Pleasanton Rage, was involved in the U.S. Olympic Development Program and scored 21 goals in four years for the Washington Huskies.

She attended a U.S. under-23 training camp last year, but with the odds of cracking the senior roster against her, she accepted an invitation to play for Mexico. During her junior season at Washington, a member of the Mexican coaching staff had seen her play in Los Angeles against Southern California. Perez was among five Mexican Americans on the Mexico roster during World Cup qualifying.

"Mexico gave me the chance to play for the senior team right away," said Perez, who made her international debut in March against the United States, a 3-0 American victory in San Diego. "I knew it was going to be harder to make it to the U.S. senior team. They had me playing with the under-23s. I didn't know if I could ever do it."

Perez was drafted by St. Louis Athletica in WPS and made one appearance this season. When Athletica folded after six matches, she didn't receive any offers from the other clubs. So she trained with the women's team at Washington and joined Mexico for two or three camps.

At the qualifying tournament in Cancun, with her mom and aunt in attendance, she started one group match and entered as a reserve in another. Then in the semifinal against the United States, she beat Heather Mitts to a cross and nodded an eight-yard header inside the left post to give Mexico a 2-1 lead midway through the first half and ultimately a World Cup berth.

The Americans, world titans for 20 years and who were 24-0-1 vs. Mexico, recovered to defeat Costa Rica in the third-place game but now must get past Italy in a two-leg playoff this month.

In the CONCACAF championship game, which had no bearing on qualifying, Perez was red-carded early in the second half for an intentional handball during a 1-0 loss to Canada.

When the Cancun celebrations ended with Mexico rejoicing over its first World Cup berth since 1999, Perez returned to chilly Seattle. She hopes to play in WPS next year before preparing for a trip to Germany -- an odyssey that she helped make possible.

"I was happy to play for a country," she said. "I was proud to represent Mexico."

By Steve Goff  | November 11, 2010; 5:03 PM ET
Categories:  Mexico, Women  | Tags:  women's soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: U.S. roster for friendly at South Africa next week
Next: Weekend soccer TV listings: MLS, Mexico, Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, NCAA

Comments

Nice piece, thanks Mr. Goff.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 11, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

"...understands Spanish but doesn't speak it well."

And I thought I was the only one, yay!

Posted by: PEddy | November 11, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"...understands Spanish but doesn't speak it well."

And I thought I was the only one, yay!

Posted by: PEddy | November 11, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------
The quote deserves a :facepalm: with a reverse.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | November 11, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I blame NAFTA.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 11, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

And here I was thinking it was going to be about Carli Lloyd.

Posted by: kevinwparker | November 11, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

So, this is how Canada will feel in three years...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 11, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

A glory hunter living in Seattle? Go figure... I bet Sounders fans will claim they've all been HUGE Mexican Women's Team fans for the last 20 years... ;)

Posted by: DadRyan | November 11, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Seattle invented the Mexico Women's National team

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | November 11, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

This sort of thing happens all the time and I can't blame her. Remember when Arteta said he'd like to play for England a few months ago?

Posted by: ericruenes | November 11, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Well, one day she might WIN the World Cup for the US, in that maybe the next Latina won't be overlooked.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | November 11, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

"...understands Spanish but doesn't speak it well."

And I thought I was the only one, yay!

I'm more the other way. I speak a decent Spanish but understand little.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | November 12, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Here's hoping that Jermaine Jones pulls a similar stunt for the US Men against Germany - maybe in the WC Quarterfinals in 2014??

Posted by: BaltoFan | November 12, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse