Monday kickaround: Galaxy wins opener, USA women to semifinals, Hoyas, Terrapins and Zips

*The mark of a championship club is to win tense matches on the road. The top seeds in the MLS playoffs did it, while other contenders did not. A day after the New York Red Bulls, the Eastern Conference front-runners, won at San Jose in the first leg, the Los Angeles Galaxy received a wonder goal from Edson Buddle to defeat the Seattle Sounders, 1-0, in front of 35,521 at Qwest Field. Where things stand in the total-goals series:

EASTERN
#1 New York leads San Jose, 1-0
Game 2: Thursday at Red Bull Arena (8 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
#2 Columbus trails Colorado, 1-0
Game 2: Saturday at Crew Stadium (4 p.m. Telefutura)
WESTERN
#1 Los Angeles leads Seattle, 1-0
Game 2: Sunday at Home Depot Center (9 p.m. ESPN)
#2 Real Salt Lake trails Dallas, 2-1
Game 2: Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium (10 p.m. FSC)

*Having already locked up a semifinal berth with a pair of blowout victories, the U.S. women's national team will play Costa Rica (which has also clinched) tonight in its World Cup qualifying group finale. The Americans need only a draw to win the group. Either way, they'll face Canada or Mexico in a semifinal Friday in Cancun for a ticket to Germany next summer.

*College soccer: Georgetown, which clinched first place in its Big East division Thursday, dropped the regular season finale at Notre Dame, 3-0, ending a nine-game winning streak. The Hoyas will host Villanova or Providence in a league quarterfinal Saturday afternoon. ... The top-ranked men's team, Akron, suffered a stunning 2-1 loss at Cleveland State, the Zips' first loss of the year. Unbeaten Louisville is likely to inherit the No. 1 position. ... The Maryland women (15-2-1) closed the regular season with a 2-1 victory over Miami and will be the No. 2 seed in the ACC tournament, which begins Wednesday in Cary, N.C.

By Steve Goff  | November 1, 2010; 8:25 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF, College Soccer, MLS, Women  | Tags:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: American soccer players abroad: Dempsey (2), Edu, Kljestan, Grella score in Europe
Next: Washington Freedom officials respond to report that the WPS club is going to fold soon

Comments

Louisville?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 1, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Cleveland State?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 1, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Way to go Maryland women!!! What a difference in that team's play bewteen this season and last season! They having got some serious momentum going.

Posted by: yankiboy | November 1, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Akron?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 1, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Alcocorn?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 1, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of the women, what are the latest Vegas odds that WPS makes it to the end of this week?

Posted by: Ron16 | November 1, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Joe Public?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 1, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Hey Great Goff?!?!

Where's the love for my "Southern team", the one that helped me nurse my wounds after this year's DC United and Palace Baltimore disappointments???

PUERTO RICO ISLANDERS USSF D2 CHAMPIONS!!!

PRI 3 Carolina Railhawks 1 (aggregate)

What a night we had down in Cary on Saturday night!!! Being with my Islanders’ family. Cheering, singing, celebrating with the team. Much respect to the Cary police and stadium security for letting Islanders supporters down on the field for a good 15 minutes after the match had ended before the trophy presentation.

Being an Islanders’ supporter since our debut season in ’04, the chance to hold onto the trophy was sweet. The “afterparty” that Islanders ownership threw for the club and fans in the VIP section at some swank nightclub in downtown Raliegh was a trip. Not really my scene personally (I’m just too old, tired and boring for that scene) It was first class and it is was a great way to continue celebrating with the players, coaching staff, ownership group, directors, players families and other fans.

And most of all, it was another chance for me to try and tell every player member of the organization who travelled (and there were a LOT who travelled) how much Puerto Rico Islanders FC means to me. It was another chance to thank them.

I loved them when they only won 5 games in a season and people were joking me about why I even bothered to follow a team in the A-League when I was already supporting DC United--the most storied franchise in MLS. Why bother? I already had it made here with first class everything.

I love them when they were getting pounded and I love them now.

I don't know what the future holds with the whole US Second division mess. I just know that a franchise that was expected to fold before finishing it's inaugural season in '04 by sports press and others in Puerto Rico have become arguably the best second division team in the region.

MLS isn't in Puerto Rico's future. It is an economic impossibility. I'm cool with that. Nothing wrong with being an elite second division team. Ain't no shame in that.

Puerto Rico Islanders FC–Campeones!

La Tropa Naranja Baby!

Posted by: yankiboy | November 1, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Redknapp calls Dempsey “the best American to have played over here”

MLS website stirs up controversy by calling Buddle's strike a "turf goal." I call it karma.

Felicitationes yankiboy!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 1, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Louisville is a very good college team. They have an experienced defense (and a senior left back - that DK should be drooling over).

Cleveland State plays better than their record - but shouldn't even be in the same state as Akron.

Posted by: J_S_F | November 1, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

We made it through the 10th month without anyone channeling Rob Stone and writing "Soctober."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 1, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Forgive me if this has been discussed before. But, don't you find it strange that San Jose and Colorado, both, are in the Eastern Conference semis. I know, that's how MLS' playoff system rolls, but isn't that just too odd?

Posted by: stwasm | November 1, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Also form MLS' kickoff collumn:

"FC Dallas expect a dogfight at Rio Tinto Stadium in return leg"

----------------------------------------------------

A dogfight? That's even worse than the gridiron match they had PHP the day before the first leg of the Dallas-RSL series. Frankly, I'd expect better from the folks in Utah.

Posted by: fischy | November 1, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"I call it karma."

Ha!

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | November 1, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit-1: Thanks a lot Bro.

We won 2 trophies (Caribbean Football Club Championship) this year and had a chance to get out of CCL group play on the final day, which isn't bad considering all of the coach travel with multiple connetions (coz PRI doesn't have the money for direct flights) criss crossing the US, Canada, Mexico and Central America. A lot of experts didn't give us a chance to make it past LA Galaxy in the prelimination CCL series.

Tomorrow (yeah--tomorrow), it starts all over again with the Islanders first game for CCL qualification when they play their first game in the Supercopa DirectTV.

The CFU doesn't give an automatic birth to the reigning champion so Islanders have to go and take out the local competition in an 8 team tournament.

One day back in PR and some of the guys have to suit up again and coaches have to coach.

It's back to business...

Posted by: yankiboy | November 1, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

We've probably reached the point where it's just downright obnoxious to point out once again that Findley and Clark starting over Buddle and Edu in the WC was asinine. So I'll just not bring that up.

Because I'm not bitter.

Posted by: benonthehill | November 1, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I miss "Soctober."

Posted by: bs2004 | November 1, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"Said it at the beginning of the year and it bears repeating, Akron are not as good as they were last year, but they are still the best college team in the country.

Posted by: J_S_F | November 1, 2010 11:31 AM

And that is why I'm glad Virginia could pull off the upset last year. Their current ranking is greatly inflated, I think- if they were to play Akron again it could be ugly

Posted by: carmines757 | November 1, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@Ron16 -- The statement the Freedom put out today speaks wonders .... "Washington Freedom continue to have conversations with prospective investors and strategic partners. As previously reported, we are seeking investors and/or partners as part of a plan to align the team’s costs with its revenues so play can continue in 2011 and beyond. We have been engaged in these conversations since early summer. Contrary to reports, Freedom does not plan an announcement about its participation in the 2011 WPS season until it has had an opportunity to consider all proposals. We appreciate the ongoing support of our fans, sponsors and supporters and remain optimistic about the future of Freedom and WPS."

The statement does not say the magic words, "We are going to play in 2011."

Posted by: bs2004 | November 1, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse