Oguchi Onyewu reportedly involved in altercation with AC Milan teammate Zlatan Ibrahimovic

By Steve Goff

According to Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport, Oguchi Onyewu, the chiseled American central defender, was involved in an altercation with teammate Zlatan Ibrahimovic, the Swedish bad-boy striker, during AC Milan's training session today.

Insider loyalist Steve Amoia, from worldfootballcommentaries.com offered his help in translating the story:

"Training at heightened tension. During the session today, Onyewu and Ibrahimovic in fact came to blows due to a foul by the Swede on the giant American. But let's analyze the facts. An afternoon training session at Milanello (Milan's training center) in front of about 30 spectators. During a scrimmage, Ibrahimovic made a not very proper challenge on the Milan defender. A sliding tackle, not really that bad. But Onyewu, at 1.95 meters of presence, didn't take it too well. Once on his feet, he immediately reacted and took the attacker by his neck. Then came the fight. It was violent from a physical and verbal perspective."
"Their teammates (at least 10 of them) immediately tried to separate them. But both aren't weaklings, and in the end, Max Allegri (the AC Milan manager) was forced to suspend the training session. The strong reaction of Onyewu perhaps was partially due to the recent history of the American defender. He arrived at Milan in 2009, and was injured for over a year after a serious injury. ... Perhaps that unsporting challenge by Ibrahimovic set him off, but scenes of this type should obviously be condemned."

By Steve Goff  | November 5, 2010; 2:34 PM ET
Categories:  Italy, U.S. men's national team  | Tags:  Oguchi Onyewu
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday kickaround: Olave is MLS top defender, USA women in Mexico, Salgado in D.C., Rooney in Oregon, Americans in Europe, Terrapins in action
Next: U.S. women's soccer team is upset by Mexico, 2-1, in World Cup qualifying match

Comments

I got me an a Ibra jersey from his Internazionale days. He's a terrific player -- perhaps still one of the more underappreciated talents out there -- but a lousy human being. I'm sure Gooch thought the tackle was as much a sign of disrespect as it was reckless and threatening to a player still recovering from knee surgery. It's a human reaction -- and American football coaches love these tiffs -- but I guess it's not so OK in soccer. That's especially true, if you are an American defender who hasn't even seen the pitch this year and you're putting a chinlock on one of the team's top stars.

Posted by: fischy | November 5, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I could add that Gazzetto dello Sport needs to do a better job of fact-checking. Gooch was injured playing Costa Rica in RFK Stadium...

Posted by: fischy | November 5, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Another reason to suspect disrespect: Gooch is playing for free this year. I don't recall any details, but I think Ibra's contract has a few more zeroes in it.

Posted by: Modibo | November 5, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

G00ch's contract could have an infinite number of zeroes...

Posted by: Reignking | November 5, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Gooch is such an unsmiling presence on the pitch as it is -- I would hate to be in a confrontation with him

Posted by: DCUSince96 | November 5, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Is it a bad sign that my first thought was, "at least Onyewu is still practicing with the first team". The second thought is that you just shouldn't ever grab someone by the neck in life or soccer, especially a teammate. Third, maybe the coaching staff told Gooch he needs to be more aggressive?

Posted by: Dancy1 | November 5, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's a calculated move by Gooch to try and get loaned out to another team where he could get some PT.
I don't see it as a red mark against him...let's face it, half the soccer players in the world have probably wanted to punch Ibra at one point or another.

Posted by: icehippo | November 5, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehippo | November 5, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Octopus Paul II is here...

Posted by: Reignking | November 5, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't all that long ago there was that video of Zlatan roundhouse kicking another one of his teammates while the rest of the team was in a huddle. He's clearly an ahole.

Can't help but wonder who was getting the best of who.

Posted by: jebus_simpson | November 5, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"Journalism" from Italy? Meh.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 5, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Can't help but wonder who was getting the best of who.

Posted by: jebus_simpson | November 5, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff from Gooch. Ibra tried to pull off crap like the kung fun kick on Rodney Strasser's back few months ago (with Gooch close by), and Strasser didn't retaliate. This will show Ibra that Gooch is not someone to be messed with. LOL

Posted by: Charisma_Man | November 5, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Can't help but wonder who was getting the best of who.

Posted by: jebus_simpson | November 5, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

not the first time Ibra has had an altercation (of sorts) this season at training

Posted by: sparkdizzle | November 5, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sparkdizzle | November 5, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Im glad he didn,t back down. Gooch is a leader, and im glad he chin checked that arrogant swede. im sure there are tons of players out there who support Gooch on this.

Nobody messes with the gooch

Posted by: jsal84 | November 5, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

wow, that was some sissy stuff on the video. what a punk. wonder where people get the idea that soccer players are a bunch of wimps who can't throw punches like real men do... I do agree that grabbing someone's throat is some serious doo doo. Hope Gooch squeezed hard. Punk Ibra is getting 86'd from my fantasy team now... ;)

Posted by: DadRyan | November 5, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand, you can now cut and paste the following for the Americans Abroad weekly update:

D Oguchi Onyewu (Milan) Not in 18.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | November 5, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Gooch, come home to DC! You will get your playing time, you will get paid fairly well, and you will be appreciated. WE NEED YOU!

Posted by: bdwooton | November 5, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Not exactly good on Onyewu, but ibrahimovc is a thoroughly overrated, underachieving, arrogant pig who needs taking down a peg or two. He chokes in the big games, and now he chokes in training too :-)

Posted by: hertsred | November 5, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gregegeg | November 5, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

These guys are pros but they are human too. I can see how Gooch, who is trying everything possible to convince Milan that he is healthy and can play, would react negatively to a cheap shot tackle that could set him back. It was heat of the moment stuff that happens at training quite a bit. No biggie. These are two big men, that had to be some spectacular stuff though - UFC quality business. I sure hope our big guy won.

They got it out of their systems and now it's over with. They are pros again. So we all move on.

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 5, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else find Ives' site just completely unreadable nowadays? For every event there's "A Look Ahead", "Preview", "Your Running Commentary," "A Look Back." I scroll all the way down and find barely anything worth reading. Thank you, Goff, for a cogent, streamlined, and well-written blog.

Posted by: DaninFL | November 5, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Good to see that Gooch stood up for himself, unlike his other AC Milan team-mate who got kicked in the chest.

Posted by: Barracudas | November 5, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Canada 4 - Costa Rica 0

USA in 1 hour

Registration required

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Mexico up in the 2nd minute

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Mexico's keeper pushes the ball out and earns a goal kick. Still trying to figure that one out.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I tuned in a bit late. What happened?

The Ticas put up a good fight despite the scoreline. I wouldn't want to have to face them on Monday.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 5, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Lloyd ties it in the 25th on a Rapinoe CK.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Mexico goes ahead again.

Anyone else here?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Ibra sounds just golden. (That is a play on (Slavic) words.)

Posted by: universityandpark | November 5, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

"Does anyone else find Ives' site just completely unreadable nowadays?"

He isn't breaking many stories any more, that's for sure.

Think this is a valid point? Agree that Ives' site has gone downhill? Expecting to see some of his commenters pipe up in irrational defense?

Share your thoughts below.

Posted by: ChristopherMc | November 5, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else here?
__________________________________________

Yeah, I am. Are you also following this?

Posted by: universityandpark | November 5, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Just got home, was following on Twitter. Watching from here on out.

Vamos Estadio Unidos!!!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many Yanks are on the pitch in Cancun.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 5, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

My halftime analysis:
1. Crap central defending lead to the Mexican goals.
2. There's a huge gulf between our back 4 and the D-mids, giving Mexico lots of room to run.
3. The field is narrow and Mexico is clogging the midfield very well.
4. Every time we get the ball, there are 2 or 3 green jerseys around our player.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

In case you couldn't tell, that's a baseball stadium.

You know, like Kansas City. I have a feeling this might have been on purpose (see points 3 and 4)

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Lloyd nicks the back of #7s heel and she goes down grabbing her shin. We're in for 45 minutes of stalling Mexican futbol.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Broken foot

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Link for the women's game?

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | November 5, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Ok, the replay made me think that. It didn't look good.

Silly me. I got fooled.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh, no, now she's subbing off, limping with tears. Guess I was right first time.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Big weekend for women's NCAA action. Maryland is in the ACC final against Wake, which ousted Carolina on penalties. WVU is in the Big East final. JMU is in the CAA final (at the expense of GMU). Many of these conference championship games will be televised on Sunday; check your local listings.

The Pac-10 does not do a tournament, but its top teams, Stanford and Oregon State, are on FSC right now in their regular season finale.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 5, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

I tuned in too late for the first Tri goal. Can anyone describe what happened?

Posted by: universityandpark | November 5, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Rachel Bueller:Frankie Hejduk?

Wambach climbs the back of one Mexican defender, and two go down, one stays there...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Free kick from midfield. Flicked on to a running Dominguez. Net bulges.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Last comment was in response to U&P's question. Still 2-1.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Missed the first half, but they're just playing awfully here in the second. What is going on?

Posted by: BooThisMan | November 5, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

If you think this is ugly, be glad you missed the 1st.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Who did Morgan come on for?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

I have a soccer crush on Megan Rapinoe, and I think a real crush on Alex Morgan. Whichever scores the goal gets my heart.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Last comment was in response to U&P's question.
_________________________________________

Thanks!

Posted by: universityandpark | November 5, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Rodriguez.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Well, given that we can't string two passes together, and can't keep our shots from going 10 yards over the bar, I'm not feeling a goal here. How tough is Italy?

Posted by: BooThisMan | November 5, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

If you don't understand Spanish, the matchtracker at the USSF site is a useful adjunct to the CONCACAF broadcast.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 5, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Or so I thought... Guess not.

US Soccer Matchtracker says Heather O'Reilly which I now rememeber.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

We need some Michael Bradley magic.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Hire Greg Ryan!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 5, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

String two passes together? I'd be happy to see one ball played to someone's feet.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2010 11:31 PM
__________________________________________

You're not Chilean by any chance, are you? Morgan developed a cult following at the U20 WWC there a couple of years ago.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 5, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Como se dice en espanol:

"Do you believe in miracles? Yes!"

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 5, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I hope we play Italy in Columbus or Duluth.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

U&P Now that you mention it, I remember that

Ugly collision of heads. Lots of blood. Ew.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Holy mole. ABby getting her face stapled back on. This game isn't worth that!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | November 5, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I thought that was hair hanging down, but it was a steady stream of blood. Stapler and tape, she's back in.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

We score but are correctly ruled offside

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

I really have to stop watching sports altogether. It always just ends up infuriating me.

Posted by: BooThisMan | November 5, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

We didn't deserve to win. Give Mexico credit for playing well. We were horribly disjointed and gave them too much space to play.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Brandi Chastain fan down there, huh.

Congratulations to Mexico, from what I saw, they deserved it. I've still got all the confidence in the world in our girls.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 5, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 5, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

BTW, JofA-ish: stern yellow card for using "Ew".

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 6, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Sydney Leroux might be wondering whether the CWNT still wants her. I don't believe she's cap-tied yet. Doesn't FIFA now say that U20 experience doesn't count?

Posted by: universityandpark | November 6, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

I hope we play Italy in Columbus or Duluth.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 5, 2010 11:49 PM
__________________________________________

The Ticas might question your underlying premise.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 6, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

I choose to acknowledge the card with the "yep, it's good" hand raise as I continue on. I think my fair play record speaks for itself.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 6, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Give 'im some Maryland style Gooch! Get some!!!!!

Posted by: KRIKET | November 6, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse