Taylor Twellman's retirement, Juergen Klinsmann's new gig, World Series vs. World Cup on TV

*As expected, New England Revolution striker Taylor Twellman, 30, has announced his retirement because of head injuries that sidelined him almost all of the past two MLS seasons. Among the top scorers in league history, he had, by far, the best strike rate with 101 goals in just 174 regular season appearances.

"In my opinion, Taylor is the best American goal scorer this league has ever produced," said Los Angeles Galaxy forward Landon Donovan, the U.S. national team's career scoring leader.

*Toronto FC has hired former Germany World Cup coach (and two-time U.S. national team candidate) Juergen Klinsmann as a consultant.

*The five games between the San Francisco Giants and Texas Rangers in the recently concluded World Series averaged 14.8 million viewers on Fox Sports in the United States. The U.S.-Ghana World Cup round-of-16 match in South Africa this summer attracted 19.4 million viewers on ABC and Univision. (We'll leave MLS's anemic ratings out of this particular discussion.)

By Steve Goff  | November 3, 2010; 2:28 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup, Germany, MLS  | Tags:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United's Andy Najar is MLS rookie of year
Next: Thursday kickaround: Clarence Goodson's move, USA-Argentina?, MLS playoffs, Andy Najar, ACC, Episcopal High, Americans abroad, TV listings

Comments

better to compare last year's Series because this year had two teams that didn't garner very much outside interest.

Posted by: eternale5150 | November 3, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | November 3, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Better not to compare at all. There are too many confounders to draw any conclusion other that it's a good topic to ratchet up the comment counter.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 3, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | November 3, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eternale5150 | November 3, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse
---------

Although for what it's worth, the WC final featured two teams without either a large expat population or a previous title, and it drew 25 million viewers.

Posted by: stancollins | November 3, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | November 3, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Soccer ratings that beat World Series ratings is significant thing to TV execs and ad execs, regardless of who is playing.

Now, if MLS Cup beats World Series, that'd be outstanding.

Posted by: delantero | November 3, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Gimme a break, World Series is what it is. Real Baseball fans watch it. Fronting like it's only interesting when it's some bandwagon east coast clubs involved is WACK. Screw the Yankees, Phillies, and especially the stinking Bandwagonest team of all the Red Sux...

The Natinals Rule!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 3, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

-1000 dadryan

Posted by: Reignking | November 3, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

-3/2 * 0.7/(16)3

Posted by: delantero | November 3, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

-3/2 * 0.7/(16)3

Posted by: delantero

-0.00025634765628 ?

Posted by: dchooligan | November 3, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

+ 3.14159 because everything is better with π

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 3, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

-1000 dadryan

Posted by: Reignking

meh, too bad you can't throw frozen snow balls at me through the internet tubes eh RK?
;)

Posted by: DadRyan | November 3, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Hope you all got my inside joke about +1 :)

Posted by: Reignking | November 3, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

WAXTAP??!

Posted by: fischy | November 3, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

from previous:

@ troy6 - you were close...Ekstra Bladet has a page 9 (side 9) girl. I lived in Denmark 3 years - their version of TV Guide had a "girl of the week" photo spread in the middle of the TV listings! Brondby is a very good club - right up with FC Copenhagen as top of the league - but I was hoping Goodson would end up in Germany. He needs to play against higher level teams more often to stay in the mix for Brasil '12.

Posted by: soccerman
--------------------------

I stand corrected. I was using page 3 as a generic phrase, as that is generally where the photos are in tabloids, but I admit I noticed the "side 9" link after I had posted and was kicking myself. In the two years I was in CPH Brondby won the league going away and had some pretty good CL results as well. Probably the best fan base in Denmark. As an FCK fan, I had to eat generous helpings of crow, which helped prepare me for these past two years as a DCU fan.

Posted by: troy6 | November 4, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Another change to Goff's blog -- they have dropped the # of comments from next to the comments link. Now one cannot see ahead of time if many or new comments have been made on a list. THe fact that I track that and actually go back to an article that has had a lot of comments on it perhaps mark me as needy, but there you go.

Posted by: glfrazier | November 4, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

And is brilliant as a way to help out hit counts. If I saw a post had the same number of comments and had nothing new to write, I'd move on and check back later. Now, I have to click every time to find out.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 4, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

And is brilliant as a way to help out hit counts.
Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish
=========

+1 or +100. Without the counter, who knows how many +s.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 4, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

The blog is getting like DC United. Every move the front office makes seems to degrade the experience.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 4, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse