Thursday kickaround: Clarence Goodson's move, USA-Argentina?, MLS playoffs, Andy Najar, ACC, Episcopal High, Americans abroad, TV listings

*U.S. World Cup defender Clarence Goodson, who prospered in the Washington area's youth soccer system, has completed a move to Danish club Brondby from Start in Norway, where he played for three years. He signed a three-year contract and will join his new team in January.

*An Argentine report says the United States might host Argentina in a March 26 friendly in Seattle.

*With a 1-0 advantage, the New York Red Bulls look to finish off the San Jose Earthquakes in the final leg of the MLS first-round series (8 p.m. ET, ESPN2).

*My full story on Andy Najar's rookie of the year victory, contract negotiations and possible winter training overseas.

*In the ACC women's tournament, second-seeded Maryland (16-2-1) defeated Duke, 1-0, and will face Boston College, a 1-0 upset winner over third-seeded Virginia, in Friday's semifinals in Cary, N.C.

*Colleague Paul Tenorio profiles Episcopal, an Alexandria boarding school that has blended players from all over the country and the world to forge a 63-game unbeaten streak.

For Americans abroad and TV listings.....

*Americans abroad:
Europa League
F Jozy Altidore and Villarreal at PAOK Salonica
MF Sacha Kljestan and Anderlecht at AEK Athens

*Soccer on TV:
Europa League, Juventus-Salzburg 2 p.m. GolTV
Europa League, Liverpool-Napoli 4 p.m. GolTV
MLS playoffs, New York-San Jose 8 p.m. ESPN2

*DirecTV will show 16 Europa League matches live, at 2 and 4 p.m., on channels 481-488.

By Steve Goff  | November 4, 2010; 9:38 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, Argentina, College Soccer, D.C. United, MLS, TV, U.S. men's national team, Women, Youth soccer  | Tags:  MLS, U.S. national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taylor Twellman's retirement, Juergen Klinsmann's new gig, World Series vs. World Cup on TV
Next: Weekend soccer TV listings: MLS, Mexico, Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, NCAA

Comments

Looking forward to watching at least the first half of the MLS game tonight. Will Red Balls fans actually show up for a match now that it actually "matters"? ;)

Posted by: DadRyan | November 4, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

So glad I just got direct tv!!!!!

Posted by: grubbsbl | November 4, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Hope Najar starts earning serious money! How amazing must it be for his family?

Most immigrant families struggle when first arriving here, and to have a son to support the family at only 17 earning good money? Must be a blessing!

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | November 4, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I might also add that you've got two great links in your post this morning Goff. Tenorios story is very cool, and perhaps United/and or the USMNT should be sniffing around Episcopal... ;)
I also appreciate the story on Andy as well.
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 4, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

It's great Najar won Rookie of the Year. I think he fully deserves it even though Ream and Mwanga also were credible options.

Since Clint Dempsey won the award in 2004, it's gone to defensive players: Parkhurst in 2005, Bornstein in 2006, Edu in 2007, Sean Franklin in 2008, and Omar Gonzalez in 2009. So it's nice to see some young attacking talent worthy of recognition.

But since we don't how the secretive selection was made it seems inappropriate to say he was "voted" Rookie of the Year.

Soccer America article and list of award winners thru the years:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 4, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Soccer America article and list of award winners thru the years:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 4, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I would like to second boliviansdc post. If that isn't the American dream then i don't know what is.

Posted by: grubbsbl | November 4, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Expecting Najar to win games for us is one thing. Expecting him to play for the US is another. Now we're expecting him to support his family? It would nice if that could happen, but let's not put too much pressure on the kid. Let him play soccer and enjoy it.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 4, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

the comment counter is back!

Posted by: troy6 | November 4, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@grubbs, I did get those posters in the mail btw. Hope you got the message, and perhaps the tube itself soon.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 4, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I realize it's been around for awhile but when push comes to shove isn't the Europa League just the European equivalent of SuperLiga.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | November 4, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan I saw the message. Sorry I failed to respond I have been a bit busy with school and work. I was planning a nice thank you email which you will still get.

The Europa league may be an equivalent but it offers some great football. Liverpool v Napoli or sporting v bestiksta (spelling?) both sound good to me. Plus you have villareal and bayern laverkusion (spelling?). I wonder if Freddy will play for Aris.... Hahaha

Posted by: grubbsbl | November 4, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

So glad I just got direct tv!!!!!

Posted by: grubbsbl | November 4, 2010 10:15 AM

-------------------------------------------------------

Too bad the weather will probably play havoc with your signal... heh heh

Technically speaking, this is only the second year, I believe, for the Europa League....so, it hasn't been around forever. There are some pretty decent teams in the league and, unlike SuperLiga, the teams and the fans take it very seriously.....but I dig "hateisnotafamilyvalue"...

WAXTAP!!

Posted by: fischy | November 4, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

So glad I just got direct tv!!!!!
Posted by: grubbsbl | November 4, 2010 10:15 AM
==========

\Sorry I failed to respond I have been a bit busy with school and work.
Posted by: grubbsbl | November 4, 2010 11:33 AM
=========

More likely busy watching TV.
Busted!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 4, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Haha you all caught me. It is going to be tough to focus now and once my gf moves in I'll probably never do work. Fischy you sound like my dad who is convinced satellite goes out if it gets cloudy.

I do hope altidore plays today. Is it bad that I kinda want nyrb to win? I want to see a red bulls columbus semi-final and then a ny-la final.

Posted by: grubbsbl | November 4, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd expect Jozy to get some playing time today...

Posted by: Reignking | November 4, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

SuperLiga is nothing like Europa League. Europa League is a consolation tournament, more like the NIT in college basketball. If you don't make the big dance there's still another tournament. A little less prestige perhaps, but still a meaningful trophy to play for, because ever team chasing it had to qualify for the right to do so.

As long as Superliga is just a bunch of teams selected for marketing purposes rather than based on their play it's useless to me. Actually it's worse than useless because of the potential fixture congestion issue.

If it became a consolation tournament for teams that just missed out CCL qualification (and maybe even introduced 3rd place group finishers from CCL like Europa does with UCL) it could then be considered the North American version of Europa League. And because it would mean something it might even be worth watching.

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | November 4, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the typos:

A little less prestige perhaps, but still a meaningful trophy to play for, because every team chasing it had to qualify for the right to do so.

If it became a consolation tournament for teams that just missed out on CCL qualification...

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | November 4, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

The CONCACAF Superliga is just like the Danish Superliga, but with less sugar and icing.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 4, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I consider everything useless in Europe because they won't embrace the American playoff system of a seven game series. What drama that would be!!!!

Posted by: grubbsbl | November 4, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

how can any thing European be an equivalent of a CONCACAF competition? ;)

I'd watch plenty of Europa League if I got it on my tv, as opposed to my disinterest in SuperLiga, which I'd stomach some of, but mostly complain about if United had qualified lately.

Europa League has featured yanks abroad and intriguing fixtures regardless of the lessened prestige that comes with Champions League. Again, I'd dig it especially on a rainy day off like today if I got it on my tv.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 4, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

At least the SuperLiga doesn't have teams getting shellacked 0-7.

Posted by: Reignking | November 4, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Jozy playing...
Me watching...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 4, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

MLS's dirty little secret is poor first round play-off attendence. Don't expect a full house or even a decent crowd tonight in NJ; MLS ticket sales are driven by groups and play-off games do not allow the groups sales force on the teams enough lead time to organize their group customers.

Also, a weekend night is an issue; you'are asking peopl;e to drive into a heavily congested urban area in the early evening as opposed to a Saturday. That'll affect the gate.

Expect 12,000 as the drop. Who knows what the lie, I mean, announced attendence will be. Expect a lot of camera angles on the broadcast tonight that do not reveal large sections of empty seats. MLS's TV executive Michael Cohen, under orders from Garber, instructs his directors to refrain from calling up shots that show empty seast.

Posted by: lgm6986 | November 4, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Actually, isn't the Europa League just the new name for the UEFA Cup? If so, it has a pretty lengthy history. Superliga, by contrast, is a joke.

Posted by: Washago | November 4, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Tenorio's piece reminds me of a stellar documentary I saw one morning recently, on cable. Called "Soccer's Lost Boys" -- or, probably "Football's Lost Boys" elsewhere. The TV listing was more sensational -- something like "Soccer's Sex Slaves". Anyway, it was about Ghanaian kids dreaming of soccer stardom.

There was the seedy side ---- the unscrupulous "agent" who took the prospect's father's money to send him supposedly to a European program. The kid didn't quite make it there -- and was embarrassed to speak to his parents because of his naivete. Then, there was the pristine academy in the country, that focused on giving selected kids the soccer and academic skills to make it to American colleges. In between, there was a training team run by a father who had pulled his kid out of school to pursue the ephemeral possibility of fame and fortune in football, and who was beginning to regret that choice at the end of the film. as reality began to sink in.

Posted by: fischy | November 4, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse