U.S. roster for friendly at South Africa next week

By Steve Goff

Bob Bradley's roster selections for the U.S. national team friendly against South Africa next Wednesday in Cape Town (2 p.m. ET, ESPN2, Galavision, ESPN3.com):

GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Dom Cervi (Celtic, Scotland).
DEFENDERS: Nat Borchers (Real Salt Lake), Eric Lichaj (Aston Villa, England), Clarence Goodson (Start, Norway/Brondby, Denmark), Jonathan Spector (West Ham, England), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA/Tigres, Mexico), Tim Ream (New York), Gale Agbossoumonde (Miami/Estoril, Portugal).
MIDFIELDERS: Brian Carroll (Columbus), Robbie Rogers (Columbus), Eddie Gaven (Columbus), Mikkel Diskerud (Stabaek, Norway), Alejandro Bedoya (Orebro, Sweden), Logan Pause (Chicago).
FORWARDS: Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Teal Bunbury (Kansas City), Juan Agudelo (New York).

Because of travel distance, MLS scheduling conflicts, Euro club demands and the need to look at new players, many regulars were left off the roster for this charity match, the Nelson Mandela Challenge. South Africa's roster is also set.

For a few roster notes.....

Agbossoumonde came through the Bradenton Academy and signed a long-term contract with Traffic Sports, which operates second-division Miami FC. He was loaned to Braga and then Estoril in Portugal. He captained the USA under-20s. He'll turn 19 on the day of the South Africa match ... Ream, a second-round draft pick, started every match for the Red Bulls and was an MLS rookie of the year finalist ... Diskerud, 20, is Norwegian but, because of an American mother, is eligible for the U.S. program; he has played for the USA under-20s. ... Bunbury was a first-round draft pick last winter and had five goals with two assists. ... Cervi, 24, was drafted by Chicago a few years ago but opted to sign in Europe. He makes periodic appearances on Celtic's game-day roster. ... Agudelo, who turns 18 later this month, was born in Colombia, moved to the States as a child and rose through the New York youth academy. He stood out in the club's playoff loss to San Jose last week.

By Steve Goff  | November 11, 2010; 1:03 PM ET
Categories:  South Africa, U.S. men's national team  | Tags:  U.S. national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: In Italy, a dramatic goal, a delirious announcer ('Mamma Mia!') and a tumbling celebration
Next: Introducing the American soccer player who jeopardized the U.S. Women's World Cup hopes

Comments

I can't say I mind this roster too much considering the circumstances and players Bradley could choose from, but I am disappointed not to see Justin Braun. I thought he a good season in MLS and has excellent speed. Oh well! This is an excellent opportunity to see Bunbury, Ogbossoumonde, Mix, and Agudelo.

Posted by: no_recess | November 11, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

The rest of the roster looks fine.

However, I'm not impressed/encouraged by the midfield. I understand conflicts - but I'm not thrilled with 2/3 Crew picks.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | November 11, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the extra notes on new guys Goff!

Posted by: VTUnited | November 11, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Brian Carroll. I always liked him. Good player; nice guy. Why did DC ever get rid of him? If I recall, he got called up once before, too.

This will be a fun game to watch just to see how our guys do. Also, when I saw the name Juan Agudelo (New York) listed, I briefly thought of the other Juan A. out of New York.

Posted by: WorldCup | November 11, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Note to self: telecommute next Wednesday.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 11, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I would definitely have taken Braun over Findley. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but Beckerman really should have gotten the call, as well.

Posted by: BooThisMan | November 11, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Logan Pause gets to run herd over a gaggle of youngsters. Good for him.

Posted by: Modibo | November 11, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Very disappointed not to see Beckerman. One might think Bradley wants to evaluate younger players for this cycle, but Carroll is older than Beckerman.

I have seen enough of Robbie Findlay in South Africa, thank you very much. I hope the youngsters get some run up top and show some skill on the ball. Lord knows we need it.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 11, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Can't complain too much about the roster as I love the fresh, young faces. However, one name I was hoping to see was Hunter Freeman. He's played well for IK Start for 2 seasons now but has yet to earn a call-up.

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | November 11, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Five players on the roster have not been capped. Bornstein (35) and Spector (27) are the most capped. Pause has five, so he's already Logan International.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Bob said he would use a second term to experiment and try new guys, and that's what he's doing. No one can complain about that, and this is a good group of youngsters (some of them actually younger than me now), something to be excited about.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 11, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"this is a good group of youngsters (some of them actually younger than me now)"

Wish I could say that. Well, I can say some of them actually half as young as me...

*sigh* I wouldn't feel so bad if Heydude was in the roster!

Posted by: Modibo | November 11, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I guess the big news among the call-ups for the Columbus Day fixture in South Africa (they use a different calendar - at least their seasons are reversed from ours) is the inclusion of Bunbury who must also be eligible for Canada. His Dad, Alex Bunbury played against the US in some CONCACAF qualifiers in the '90s.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 11, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Some promising call ups. No complaints other than the usual meh for Findley, and a big Boooo for the Wee Wee Crew. Consolation prizes for progress in the CCL and subsequent pooping the bed in the play offs? Be sure to get Carroll to take the pen if the game is on the line... ;)

Posted by: DadRyan | November 11, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@ MichaelVann7

Freeman is injured. However when he was healthy for some reason Bob the builder did not want to call him in. I guess we will have to work with Bornstein again at left back unless Lichaj can take his spot. I really think Bornstein is somehow blackmailing Bob to keep his starting role.

Posted by: no_recess | November 11, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

So who captains this group...Bornstein?

Posted by: soccerman | November 11, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I know this is a limited lineup with plenty of newish blood, but man, my first thought was: USA C team, striking fear into the hearts of... no one. There're MLS teams who could thump this squad.

Posted by: Kenobi | November 11, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Guzan as captain?

And lest we forget, Bornsteain acquitted himself just fine against Algeria and Ghana.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 11, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Findley? The guy did zip at the Cup and even less in MLS. I'm hoping there is someone else in the pipeline because I've seen this "project" stuff before.

The guy just isn't a soccer player, he's a track athlete that likes to kick a ball.

Posted by: delantero | November 11, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Logan Pause...REALLY!(where is Frddy Adu? give the guy a chance to shine again). I dont mind the call ups, its who is still leading our team! Bob Bradley Blows! We need to go to the next level, Bob is not next level material!

Sack- Gulati!
Sack- Bradley!
Sack- Rogen!
Sack- Wilmer Cabrera(no experience) is in charge of our US Academy...can you believe that!

Lets bring in some one with a Jurgen Klinsmann perspective... lets start from the bottom crop towards the future!

Posted by: DCFaninSocal | November 11, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I hope DCFaninSocal _meant_ to sarcastically encapsulate every tired argument and gripe about US Soccer/USMNT callups/Bob Bradley in one tidy post. He had to have, right? The Adu thing tipped me off..

Posted by: the_slammer | November 11, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

soccerman:

Good question. Goodson and Bornstein have tenure, but the only player on the list that strikes me as a true leader is Borchers, and he's not even the captain of his club (I'll echo the calls for Beckerman on this roster over either Carroll or Pause, but perhaps he's being left out to rest after a very long season playing a demanding position in which his only rest was having a foot injury).

***

Throwing a lineup out there:

Guzan; Lichaj, Goodson, Ream, Bornstein; Bedoya, Carroll, Diskerud, Rogers; Agudelo, Bunbury

I see Ream and Borchers as similar, so ideally we'll see them switch at halftime. If Agbossoumonde impresses in training, he can grab a cap replacing Goodson. Elsewhere, other than using Diskerud from the start, I don't really care what Bradley does. I don't see any of those players as having hope of making our A-team (and that includes Bedoya, who hasn't impressed me yet). Up front, playing Findley at this point is a waste of time. Agudelo and Bunbury are way, way down the pecking order, but they have more promise and can gain more from this game.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 11, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Be sure to get Carroll to take the pen if the game is on the line... ;)

Posted by: DadRyan | November 11, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

-----

C'mon, ref, where's the red card?? ;)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 11, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Brian Carroll had to be a pity pick for sending that shot over the bar and ending the Crew's season. Either way, I love the guy and wish he would come back to DC

Posted by: Pete803 | November 11, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't see any of those players as having hope of making our A-team

Given our "depth" at striker, I would say Agudelo and Bunbury have a chance at the first team, if we're talking long-term.

Posted by: BooThisMan | November 11, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

As an U of Akron student/ fan, it's great to see Bunbury get a shot. Teal still is a bit rough around the edges, but he has tons of talent. I like that Bradley is building for the future. Gotta give these young guys a shot now to get them ready for 2014.

Posted by: AKRowdies | November 11, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Logan Pause (Chicago)

This pick gave me... oh, forget it.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 11, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

RBNY fans should praise this roster selection.

Posted by: T_Walter | November 11, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Can RBNY fans read and write?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 11, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse