Posted at 6:00 PM ET, 11/24/2010

Weekend soccer TV listings: Thanksgiving edition

By Steve Goff

Happy thanksgiving. Enjoy the turkey. Enjoy the matches.
What are you going to watch -- besides Barcelona-Real Madrid?
Many additional matches are available at espn3.com, foxsoccer.tv

MONDAY
Spain, Barcelona-Real Madrid 3 p.m. GolTV, ESPN Deportes
England FA Cup, Droylsden-Leyton Orient 2:30 p.m. FSP
England, Leicester City-Nottingham Forest 5 p.m. FSP

By Steve Goff  | November 24, 2010; 6:00 PM ET
Categories:  TV  | Tags:  soccer on TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United acquires midfielder Dax McCarty from Portland Timbers for defender Rodney Wallace
Next: Ben Olsen emerges as the top candidate for D.C. United's head coaching position

Comments

Thanks Steve and Happy Thanksgiving to you. Spend some time at home to keep yourself off Mrs. Insider's blog :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 24, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

DC United social media just posted that United have acquired Dax McCartney for Rodney Wallace and some draft pick....

Posted by: JkR- | November 24, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

...and Goff tweeted it as well so we know it;s true.

Ives tweeted it as well, which cast doubt on it...

(I kid Ives! I Kid!)

Posted by: JkR- | November 24, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

hmm, now I wonder about Dax McCarty....

McCartney is a Wing, of course....

Posted by: JkR- | November 24, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Black shirt Red hair... uh, guess that'll work. Bring on the Gingerz!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 24, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

England, Norwich-Ipswich 10:30 a.m. FSP

I'm not sure wich to choose.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 24, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Aston Villa-Arsenal

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Posted by: croftonpost | November 24, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

am i the only who finds these "soccer on tv" posts a bit dated? who actually pays money to watch a tape delayed match when they can watch virtually any game live online for free? i just can't imagine it.

Posted by: bobbyoshea | November 24, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Upset of the night in Champions League play, HaPoel Tel Aviv 3- Benfica 0:

Posted by: gadlut | November 25, 2010 4:35 AM | Report abuse

Happy Thanksgiving Steve

Villa-Arse
Would love to play hookey to watch Barca-Madrid
And QPR-Cardiff live on FoxSoccer.tv is the big one for me

Posted by: Kev29 | November 25, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

bobby, you will probably stand alone on that one too. Many have the online viewing options blocked at work if they happen to have be sitting in front of computers at work for that matter. What matches are you referring to in terms of tape delay anyway? Seems like all those matches are live. Aston Villa/Arsenal sure will be, and for once I won't be busy toiling away in the brew house and unable to kick back with a coffee and watch.
If I ever upgrade my cable and get a dvr I will find these posts even more useful as I'll be able to record matches while going about my daily life and then watch at my leisure later on.

And yes, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Down in Raleigh enjoying the vast array of local beers, and fine home cooked food.
Cheers!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 25, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

It's official.

I'm full.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | November 25, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I'd really like to understand how a Barca-RM match wound up on a Monday schedule. How infuriating.

Posted by: speculation | November 26, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobbyoshea

Not completely outdated. I'll watch DC United on computer or perhaps Glasgow Rangers v Celtic. And who is able to watch Barcelona Real Madrid at 3:00 Monday? Perfect for DVR and watch in primrtime.

I don't have my 42" HD tv with DVR hooked up to the net. I guess I could go to my office (at home) and lay on the floor but my couch is more comfortable.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | November 26, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: speculation

Catalan elections in Barcelona. Why they hold elections on Saturdays/Sundays in the first place is a good question.

Posted by: DonR19 | November 26, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

This will be the first time that I have used espn3. I'm watching the USWNT book their ticket to Germany, just wish I could use my TV instead of my PC.

Posted by: Golden_Child | November 26, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and definitely Barcelona vs Real Madrid too (en espanol)!

Posted by: Golden_Child | November 26, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

At USA-Colombia. Good starting lineup. Agudelo and Bowen up top Amobi Okugo at CB

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

And a midfield including Zahavi, Powers, and Illeget or however you spell his name.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Today at 5:00 EST, the Georgetown women will be competing in the NCAA quarters for the first time ever. A live video stream from the Ohio State campus will be available; click the link at this site:

Posted by: universityandpark | November 26, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Pretty even first 18. A half chance for each team, no shots on go for either.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Golden_Child | November 26, 2010 2:34 PM
_________________________________________

You may be interested in this feature on the distaff Rossi (thanks to the All White Kit blog for providing the link):

Posted by: universityandpark | November 26, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

30th minute. We've controlled more possession and have forced 5 corners to their none, but they've played a couple of tense through balls.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Jacob: Thanks for the updates. The USSF site doesn't even have a matchtracker. However, they do have this background information:

The one player I see with a DCU connection is Shanosky. Is he on the pitch?

Posted by: universityandpark | November 26, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The one player I see with a DCU connection is Shanosky. Is he on the pitch?

Posted by: universityandpark | November 26, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Colombians denied a penalty claim in the 41st. Greg Gatze grabs a shirt sleeve, Colombian #7, their most dangerous player, goes down pretty quick, ref walks over, tells him to get up.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

In the 2nd of two announced minutes of added time, Tristen Bowen sends a left footed cross into the box, Sebastian Legetletlele (I'm going with that for now) gets his head onto it to force a save, goalie parries straight down, Alex Zahavi, in his first game in a USA kit slams the rebound in. 1-0 to the Yanks at half.

Shanosky is not on the field, but with another game 48 hours away against Mexico, I'd expect plenty of subs this half.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Golden_Child

If you have Xbox live, you'll be able to watch the game on espn3 through that. Also, what I do, if your computer has an hdmi port, you can connect it to your tv pretty easily.

Also, today's weather: High 40s and dropping, overcast, with occasional raindrops, with most Americans in short sleeves, all Colombians in long sleeves, about half with gloves. With the weather expected to be ablout the same sunday, I'm calling it now: La Guera Fria! La Guera Fria! Mexico no va a ganar el juego!!!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

No apparent subs at halftime. Also, just noticed for more often updates, www.twitter.com/atlbeat

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

#8 streaks down the right, his pass rolls through the six. Another Colombian retrieves it, passes back in, Colombian header wide in the 53rd.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Illegitillegaleaglegel.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 26, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Another Colombian shot on goal, Kempin parries wide again before it's booted clear. Wind really picking up

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

USA sub in the 60th. Off comes Illetget, in goes Cesar Zamora.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Hard foul on Agudelo at the corner of the 18. Yellow card given.

Zahavi takes the kick, finds the head of Agudelo, goes a couple feet over.

Sub in the 62nd. Out goes Bowen, on comes Omar Salgado.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Much more open in the 2nd half. Americans with a few shots on, Colmbians with a couple, and a few more that went wide. 68th minutes sub, Fuad Ibrahim for Alex Morgan. Good game from him today.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Fuad Ibrahim header over the bar. 73rd

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Fuad Ibrahim header over the bar. 73rd

74th. Kimpen parries a hard cross away, a Colombian collects on the six right in front of the post, then blasts his shot off said post and out for a goal kick.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Defense getting leaky, Shanosky in for Zahavi in the 76th

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Colombians forcing a lot of pressure. Scramble in the other box gets Salgado a shot on goal, but off balance and lefty, it is easily collected be the keeper. 81st now.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

#8 strikes for Colombia in the 86th. Literally dribbles through or around 5 or 6 of our guys before slotting home, hard and away. Golaso.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

That's the game. 1-1 final.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

That's the game. 1-1 final.

Scratch that! Penalties!!!!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Colombians going first. Make it. Powers hits his side net left. 1-1

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Fuad Ibrahim gets his blocked goin g right. 2-1.

American goalie gets his hands on their third, but it bounces in off the post. Agudelo up 3rd. Tries to chip, goalies goes to a knee, gets back to get a hand on it going back across momentum. WOW 3-1

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

4th Colombian skies it. The other Sebastian hits it fat, rolls softly to the keeper.

Colombians win penalties 3-1. I'm off to defrost my fingers in the car.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Approximately 114 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Here's a link to an interesting article on the Red Bull's sports empire -- including NY. http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,731239,00.html

Posted by: Curious99 | November 26, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Golden_Child | November 26, 2010 2:34 PM
_________________________________________

U & P, thanks for the article.

Posted by: Golden_Child | November 26, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Golden_Child

Jacob, thanks for the info. We have Xbox 360 (actually it belongs to my 12-year old son) but we haven't signed up for XBox Live. I may try the hdmi port thing from my laptop to my TV. I'll make a dry run a few hours early in case I have technical difficulties.

Like the U-20s updates.

Posted by: Golden_Child | November 26, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

68th minutes sub, Fuad Ibrahim for Alex Morgan.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 26, 2010 5:03 PM
_________________________________________

Is this a Freudian slip or what?

Posted by: universityandpark | November 26, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

This admittedly comes a bit late, the Hoyas' season having been extinguished this evening in Columbus, but this morning's WP had this story:

Posted by: universityandpark | November 27, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Dimitar Berbatov had a nice season today.

Paul Robinson made a nice save to knock back a strong header by Berbatov, which almost made him the first to ever score 6 in an EPL game.

Posted by: fischy | November 27, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Hahahahahahahaha, U&P. No, there's a men's U-20 midfielder by the same handle. Had it been THAT Alex Morgan, you would have seen some different adjectives in the updates for her play.

On that note, #USWNT starting lineup v. Italy: Barnhart, Mitts, Rampone (C), LePeilbet, Buehler, O’Reilly, Boxx, Lloyd, Rapinoe, Rodriguez, Wambach

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 27, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow...it's nice to know that if I ever need help falling asleep, all I need to do is listen to Julie Foudy do color commentary.

Posted by: icehippo | November 27, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Goal USA!

Megan Rapinoe does work down the left, takes a hard, low shot, forcing the keeper to ground, rebound is spilled, A-Rod comes sliding in to clean up the rebound, 1-0 USA in the 40th.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 27, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I see an Alex Molano, but no Alex Morgan in the box score.

Posted by: BooThisMan | November 27, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Wambach, with a defender on her back, has a shot saved in the box in a basic one-v-one situation as the half draws to the close. 1-0 USA.

For the record, the team on the whole looks a whole lot better than they have recently. Definitely the best they've looked since the Germany friendly.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 27, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

USA needs to communicate in the back. The keeper called off the defender who could have easily cleared the ball and we almost gifted italy a goal. There is such a HUGE drop off from Hope Solo to Buehler.

Posted by: Golden_Child | November 27, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 27, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse
__________________________________________

Are we watching the same game? The defense has been just terrible...they could easily have been down 3-0 in the first minute if Italy had a decent forward that could finish. Their midfield possession has been almost non-existent, and their set pieces atrocious. If they were playing a good team here, they'd be getting crushed.

Posted by: icehippo | November 27, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

USA looks awesome to start the second half. 2 great chances and Italy can't get out of their own end.

Posted by: Golden_Child | November 27, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I meant Barnhart as the keeper not communicating, not Buehler.

Posted by: Golden_Child | November 27, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, meant to type "first 15 minutes" earlier.

Posted by: icehippo | November 27, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Then yes, Freudian slip. The announcer was bilingual and with a heavy accent, and no names on the jerseys, I was confused.

Icehippo, I say that you're right, and that that's indicative of our level of play since July.

Cheney on for Rapinoe. Cheney up top, Rodriguez wide left, Cheney's first touch is a shot off the bar.

63rd minute now.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 27, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

76th minute. Kreiger on for Mitts.

Much respect to the Midwest. Looks to be about half to 2/3 full. Starting to hear the AO in attendance too.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 27, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The Italian GK is pretty good.

Posted by: Golden_Child | November 27, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 27, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

3 min of stoppage time.

Posted by: Golden_Child | November 27, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Final. USA wins 1-0 and 2-0 on aggregate to advance to the Women's World Cup. Draw is 1:40 PM Monday, broadcast on espn3.com

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 27, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

USA wins 1-0. On to the WC!

Posted by: Golden_Child | November 27, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

And ESPN lets out a huge sigh of relief.

Posted by: icehippo | November 27, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

The Italian GK is pretty good.

Posted by: Golden_Child | November 27, 2010 3:49 PM
__________________________________________

They took a page from the Mexican playbook and went to California for arguably their best player.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 27, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Approximately 113 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | November 27, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Mexico defeats Colombia in PKs after a 2-2 draw in Kennesaw

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | November 27, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

OT: My DVR has been watching this TV series, and I've been trying to catch up. Has anyone else been watching it?

If there is any footie connection, it is that Doghead Fish products have always been available at Freedom games at the 'Plex, and for five bucks a pop at that, which is a really good deal, especially when compared with the overpriced brewskis at Estadio RFK.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 28, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | November 28, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Make that Dogfish Head. (What's the difference?)

Posted by: universityandpark | November 28, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Another great header-goal for Dempsey. I'm not sure what happened to Howard, Thanksgiving hangover?

Posted by: Southeasterner | November 28, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse