Posted at 3:32 PM ET, 12/17/2010

D.C. United trades Troy Perkins to Portland Timbers for Steve Cronin and financial considerations

By Steve Goff

Troy Perkins' second stint with D.C. United lasted only one season.

The veteran goalkeeper was traded Friday to the expansion Portland Timbers for goalie Steve Cronin and allocation money, the MLS clubs announced.

"I'm pretty shocked," Perkins, 29, told the Insider, "but all in all, it's a good move for me."

After returning to Washington last winter from Norwegian club Valerenga, Perkins started 22 of 30 regular season matches but didn't play at the same level that helped earn him MLS goalkeeper of the year honors in 2006. He and rookie Bill Hamid alternated starting assignments until Hamid's shoulder and knee injuries thrust Perkins back into the lineup for good.

Cronin, 27, was with United on loan from Portland at the end of the 2009 season, starting twice. He was the Timbers' starter for two years in the second division. Previously, he played for the San Jose Earthquakes and Los Angeles Galaxy.

"We are very familiar with Steve's ability in goal and we are pleased to welcome him back," General Manager Dave Kasper said. "He is a solid, young goalkeeper with several years of experience under his belt, and we fully expect him to compete for the starting goalkeeper job."

The move unloads another substantial contract from United's payroll. Perkins was the second highest-paid keeper in the league last year at $200,000, behind Seattle's Kasey Keller. However, as part of the agreement with the Timbers, a portion of Perkins' salary will remain on United's books for another year.

Hamid is recovering from shoulder surgery and should be ready late in preseason. The club is without a goalkeepers coach after Mark Simpson's departure this month, although Houston veteran Pat Onstad is contemplating retirement to join United's coaching staff, sources told the Insider last weekend.

For more quotes from Perkins and other D.C. United news.....

In order to reacquire Perkins' rights last winter, United had to trade starting midfielder Fred , a first-round pick and allocation money to Philadelphia. He started the season poorly, lost the No. 1 slot to Hamid, regained it and then took over for good late in the year.

"Someone had to take the fall for our season," said Perkins, who, until five months leading up to the 2010 World Cup, was the U.S. national team's third-string keeper. "I'm the goalkeeper and I'm going to be blamed for a lot -- that comes with the position. I'm not saying I had a good year; I had a terrible year. They've seen me at my best and at my worst, but I just think [new coach Ben Olsen] wants to build his own team. I understand that."

Perkins said that, two weeks ago, he was approached by front office officials about restructuring his contract. He never heard back from them, he said, until he was informed of the trade today.

On his Twitter account, Hamid wrote: "No matter who is around, I'm going to fight to make sure I'm number 1!"

United might be preparing to move other regulars as well. Veteran midfielder Clyde Simms and midfielder-forward Chris Pontius have been mentioned in trade talks, one source said. Details were not available. Also, the club was in talks with Bolivian defender Juan Manuel Pena, who missed most of the 2010 season with injuries, about becoming an assistant coach. However, the sides did not reach agreement.

By Steve Goff  | December 17, 2010; 3:32 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United, MLS  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: UEFA Champions League round-of-16 draw
Next: American soccer players abroad: Charlie Davies returns to game-day roster for Sochaux

Comments

HOLY CRAP! Things certainly are happening. I assume Troy had to agree to the move?

So we get a perhaps better keeper plus allocation money? This seems like a steal.

Posted by: fedssocr | December 17, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Better keeper? Different keeper....

Posted by: JkR- | December 17, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Would have been nice to bring Wallace back in the deal.

Posted by: ihillvt | December 17, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Would love to hear exactly where Hamid is in terms of his recovery.

Posted by: KireDCU | December 17, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

D.C. United really screwed up on this one.

Posted by: Konoha7 | December 17, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

More to come -- indeed! I never understood why DCU didn't make more of an effort to bring in Cronin permanently, after the '09 season. He would have come more cheaply than the giving up the 7th pick in the draft. It's interesting in that we all assumed that Cronin wanted to say out in Portland because of his gorgeous wife's profile out there, whereas Perkins came back to the USA with the understanding he would be in DC or Philly.

Very disappointed to see Troy go, but I'm hoping they make good use of the allocation money to bring in some higher-priced foreign talent -- especially a proven scorer (and maybe a central defender with experience but fewer miles on his legs than Pena).

Posted by: fischy | December 17, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

My only fear is that Troy goes to Portland and starts playing "lights out" for them. I am starting to wonder how much of our recent poor form is talent level and how much is the atmosphere of the club. My guess is that it is a little of column A and a little of column B.

Posted by: mddeblois | December 17, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Was this a secret annex to the McCarty deal? The question is really how comfortable you were with the expectation that Perkins would get his form back IN DC. I think he will get it back in Portland. It puts him one step away from his seemingly very reluctant return from Europe.

Posted by: dccal | December 17, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I think that's true. Especially after reading Troy's comments in that ESPN article about Ben. It sounded like there was a fair bit of dysfunction inside the club.

Posted by: fedssocr | December 17, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Portland's release says:

"Additionally, D.C. United will retain a portion of Perkins’ salary budget number for the 2011 season."

Posted by: Reignking | December 17, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I was very impressed with Cronin the first time around and wished we could've kept him. Portland seemed determined to keep him, strange that they would trade him now. I hope this doesn't turn out to be one those "be careful of what you wish for" moments. I give this trade a thumbs up!

Strange days indeed...

Posted by: boda-united | December 17, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't care if Perkins regains his form or not. The only question is if we got ourselves a good GK. I'm sure the response around the league will be: "DCU--on their way to another cellar" b/c they're thinking of Cronin from his LAG days, not the USL or even brief DCU stint. This "who's getting the better of the deal?" is a silly discussion: remember how Philly claimed they'd fleeced us last year? Now they've given up Fred, we've given up Perkins and essential it was: Cronin and allocation $ for McEarney (the 7th pick).

Posted by: JoeW1 | December 17, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

see, that makes more sense to me that the financial considerations would be on our end picking up part of Troy's salary.

Why can't we get rid of Tino instead of Pontius?

Posted by: fedssocr | December 17, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Well it's about time DC did something decent! But this can't be a continuing pattern! They can't keep wasting money on people who are mediocre at best!!! Perkins has always been a mediocre but back then he had a pretty good team in front of him! And still DC has alot more work 2 do! One question? Who is the "smart person" who always keeps Burch around? Seriously, he has nothing to offer to United expect ball watching, error prone, bad positioning, to bad marking! for every 1 good thing he has 3 bad things! He left foot is useless and not very educated! for some reason, KP thinks Burch is the best left back in MLS? ha ha!!!

Posted by: rigs88 | December 17, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Not totally surprised to hear DCU has talked about trading Simms and Pontius. These are guys who may be a bit superfluous next year -- Simms because the team is loaded with midfielders and Pontius, because it's not clear where to play the guy. It would be great if he started scoring from the striker position, but that hasn't happened yet.

Posted by: fischy | December 17, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Weird accounting that only MLS (we hope) could ever understand. DC gets allocation money from Portland in exchange keeping some of departed Perkins' salary on the books for 2011.

I don't know whether it's a good deal or not. Cronin looked pretty good in his few games w DC at the end of 2009. But what about the rest of his pro career?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 17, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of his skills, Perkins was a heck of a nice guy. This fan will miss him. I hope he thrives in Portland.

Posted by: Twitch703 | December 17, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I think you mean "irregardless".

Posted by: Reignking | December 17, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I would rather ditch players left and right then lose Simms and Pontius. We think we have depth at defensive mid, but Morsink is dreadful in possession, Shanosky is a newbie, and McCarty is more of a hardy connect the dots player. To counter all the pure attacking players we have, we need Simms. I say we dump Morsink, period, keep the rest.

Pontius, meanwhile, is a far more effective offensive player than Hernandez, Wolff, or, to be quite frank, Boskovic. He's young, and is still in the running for national team time. What the hell?

We need a goal scorer and at least one more starting defender, but this seems like an unsound path.

Oh, and as for the goalies, we get a consistent performer, they get a goalie who just needed a change.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | December 17, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Keep Pontius, doggone it! (Sez da guy with a Pontius jersey)

Posted by: Juan-John1 | December 17, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Iker Casillas would have looked bad behind the 2010 DC United defense.

Although it ultimately depends on what they get in return, I have a hard time believing that trading Pontius would be anything other than insane.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 17, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Is ESPN2's success in broadcasting EPL games good or bad for MLS?

Posted by: OWNTF | December 17, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I like Pontius, but he's 'excess to requirements' assuming any kind of luck on health and injury.

So, we gotta keep him....

Posted by: JkR- | December 17, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

As a DC native living in Oregon I welcome Perkins to the Rose City. I have my Timbers season tickets and Cronin is a second tier MLS keeper, having watched him alot for the Timbers last season. He may blossom under Ben and he's a good team guy who definitely plays with heart. I bet Timbers fans are sad to see Cronin leave, but I figured Portland would make a run at a first tier MLS GK to prevent losing shootouts to Casey Keller (Shittle Flounders) in US Open Cup matches at home. Still hurts.
Troy Perkins if he stays healthy will adore the Portland experience and thrive on what is being built as a defensive minded squad in Portland thus far.
Timbers v United matches will be very strange for this fan, having pulled for both sides from MLS inception, United in 96 and Timbers in 11.
Glad to see we have become trade partners, hoping both sides thrive in 2011.

Posted by: damjammer | December 17, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, not sure what to think of this. I like Troy a lot and don't blame him for the season (not his best, to be sure, but he wasn't the biggest problem). On the other hand, I really liked what I saw of Cronin when he was here for a stint. I was wishing then that we kept him.

It's a bit of a risk, but it looks like they're betting on youth again, and looking to save some money (for what I wonder?).

As for Simms & Pontius, I'd hate to see them go. Simms especially is one of our more solid, reliable players. Pontius is fairly similar to Quaranta, so I could see some redundancy, but only if we're bringing in replacements that shape things differently.

Very interesting... this is a fun offseason.

Posted by: -rke- | December 17, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking

Regardless is correct. One can debate whether irregardless is even a word.

I like this trade. Troy was ready to move on based on some comments he made to some friends of mine recently & indeed he's said so himself in his comments above. Hopefully, the greener pastures will do him well.

I'm good with Hamid starting. Just hope he stays healthy and has a good defense in front of him.

So much for Goff getting some downtime these days...

Posted by: KireDCU | December 17, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your services Troy and best of luck to you in your new adventures.

Kudos to the FO for making stuff happen (or at least appearing to do so, we'll see).

The rest is all just blog talk, and while that is all good, it's Friday and it's been a long week and I don't feel like playing the guessing game as to who should stay, who should go and why. FO seems to be doing the business and making some moves. I hope they pan out.

VAMOS UNITED!

Posted by: Kosh2 | December 17, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

...Oh I almost forgot - welcome (again) to the Black and Red, Steve Cronin. Fight for the badge, bleed for the colors, leave it all on the field ad most important of all respect the shirt and all of its tradition and we the fans will love you. Welcome aboard, sir.

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | December 17, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Insider joke, Kire :)

Posted by: Reignking | December 17, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha, Reignking. Life's kept me away from lately.

Posted by: KireDCU | December 17, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@ KireDCU - welcome to SI.

Posted by: Kosh2 | December 17, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Iker Casillas would have looked bad behind the 2010 DC United defense. --OWNTF

Agreed. But Troy also seemed off his game all season. Hopefully, a fresh start will see him return to form.

Posted by: KireDCU | December 17, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

RK was kidding about "irregardless." Inside(r) joke.

Maybe, I should clarify or expand my comment about Simms and Pontius. Simms is solid. I like him in the lineup, but he's limited to D-Mid, and he brings the team nothing in terms of offensive help. He doesn't create and he scores but once a year. McCarty probably takes his spot, unless the team moves Bosko out wide.

As for Pontius, he looks like he could be a great forward, but nearly all his shots seem to be wide, high, or right at the goalie. He's not a great finisher right now. At midfield, he doesn't offer much that Tino or Najar don't bring to the table. I think United could find a better finisher or a better midfielder in the first round of this draft.

If I were in charge of United, I would be looking to move Simms and/or Pontius to bring in either a veteran scorer or solid starting centerback (almost no chance of that) or to secure a pick or picks in the first round (or high second round) of this draft, plus allocation money. Use the picks to bring in Sarkodie, who would lock down the right back job for years, and a young striker or midfielder with serious skills (Boskovic is only signed for another year). Use the allocation money to bring in a proven foreign striker (or a better #10 type player than Bosko, and move Bosko out wide).

At least, that's what I would do I ran the circus....

Posted by: fischy | December 17, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the service Troy. Wish you would have come back in better form the second time around, but c'est la vie. Enjoy Portland and all the PacNW has to offer.

Welcome back Cronin! Hopefully your return is a success. Like your play the couple games we had you.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 17, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

IIRC, Pontius didn't only have a hamstring "problem" last year, he had hamstring surgery, which sounds pretty serious, if correct. So it would be sensible to be a bit cautious about just how effective he is likely to be this season.

Posted by: b18bolo | December 17, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

IN OTHER NEWS.

The Washington Freedom had scheduled a clearance sale of equipment for next Tuesday, presumably to unload merchandise for when the new owner will rename the team MagicJackFC and play half the season in Florida.

The fire sale was canned late this afternoon.

Deal's off, I wonder?

Posted by: bs2004 | December 17, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I'd hate to see Simms and/or Pontius go. That said, we're not trading them for the sake of trading them (ie: addition through subtractino). We'd evidently be trading them to add a goal scorer or defensive organizer. Given how badly/unlucky our choices have been with adding defensive organizers (remember the Brasilians we were supposed to be adding?) a trade within the league might be the way to go. So how I feel ultimately about trading either of these guys really depends upon who they bring in.

Posted by: JoeW1 | December 17, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Let's be honest, United isn't building a likely contender for 2011, but they are laying a nice foundation for later years. Clearing Troy's salary for 2012 will help. Adding more young talent would, too. United needs a scorer, but it's possible that Sarkodie will be the best prospect available when they pick at #3. Having another 2st-rounder would make it possible to take a defender like Sarkodie and still get a bright young, offensive player. Maybe, if they hadn't dealt the 21st pick for King, I would be less eager to see them get another pick, but there it is.

Posted by: fischy | December 17, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this trade frees up space and money for Onstad. Or maybe it doesn't, who knows? Irregardless.

Good luck to Troy Perkins and family.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 17, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Cronin, wha....isn't he the REO Speedwagon frontman?

Posted by: 22206no1 | December 17, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Cronin, wha....isn't he the REO Speedwagon frontman?

Posted by: 22206no1 | December 17, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Approximately 94 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | December 17, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

You're right 22206. I know because I heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from another...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 17, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree that 2010 was not as bad as it appeared for Troy as the D was constantly in flux and not very good at all.

Don't forget that Steve Cronin was LA's keeper in 2008 when they gave up the most goals in the league just ahead of Zach Wells. Then they gave Josh Wicks some time in LA's goal. However there D was even worse than DC's in 2010 with Abel Xavier and his gold hair in back:)

The thing I felt was against Troy from the beginning is he was expected to make extraordinary saves like he would do from 2005-07 and the routine ones and I don't know if it was the pressure or what but he would have one or 2 mental mistakes that he never use to do. I don't know if that was from the pressure of what United gave up for him plus the bad defense in front of him or just an off year.

Posted by: I-95Exit43 | December 17, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I guess what I don't understand is why The Timbers didn't just take him in the expansion draft. They then could have traded Cronin to the highest bidder and got Perkins and whatever Cronin brought.

Posted by: timoteo1 | December 17, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

YES YES YES!!! First good move in years! Perkins became total garbage the second time around, and should never have been re-signed in the first place. His poor play DID account for quite a few losses, so I am very happy to see him go. Good luck to Portland! SUCKERS!!!!

Posted by: alan19 | December 17, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Great move. Hopefully Tino is next

Posted by: knape1 | December 17, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow

I thought when we had him before his wife's modeling kept him from wanting to move to DC, though maybe he didn't have a choice??

We gave up allocation money, is it the same allocation money we got in the Jordan Graye deal?

Posted by: rockotodd | December 17, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

@rockotodd,

And Perkins wife had a job in DC. Hmmm . . .

Posted by: benonthehill | December 17, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Great move, I think most fans forgot about Perkins skill level first time around. I agree with the fans wanting to trade Tino.

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | December 17, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Pontius is an average player. Nothing more. IF DCU could trade him as part of a deal where we could actually get an impact player, I'm all for it.

Maybe we could trade him, Branko Nagurski, and Tino, and actually get someone who can walk, chew bubble gum, and put the ball into the back of the net.

Posted by: Ron16 | December 17, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

@rockotodd -- I think you're misunderstanding. Goff is saying DCU is getting allocation money. They're still going to be on account for some chunk of Perkins' 200+k salary this year, but I think the allocation would give them extra league money to cover a DP (or include in a trade).

@timoteo -- Portland's expansion picks were pretty strange, as they could have gotten real players but instead gambled they'd have a shot at Bornstein and Findley in the future. If I had to guess, they were scared off by Troy's salary, same as DC.

This way, Portland got Perkins but will get more cap room this year. With the cap increase the next year, it will probably be a wash for Portland then. This is probably better than what they might have gotten for Cronin under your scheme. given that MLS wasn't beating down Portland's door last year to get him. That's my take on it, anyway.

Posted by: fischy | December 17, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Dax apparrently has been given the #10 according to DCU's website... Branko has switched to #8 last worn by Danny Szetela. White, Cronin, Wolff, and Ngwenya have yet to chose....

interesting stuff

Posted by: BurchFan4 | December 17, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

This was a good move. Hamid and Cronin will have a nice competition and seriously push one another. It's also nice that I would be comfortable with either one of them minding the net when healthy.

I can understand trading Clyde, especially given all the wear and tear he has being showing the last few years. They must really fell like Shanosky is close to being ready.

Trading Pontius would be a mistake. He has some finishing capability as evidenced by his first game with the club and his stellar game at Seattle last year. He was robbed of his second year by injuries and still has major upside in my opinion. Dealing Tino would be a much better way to go if we can convince anyone to take him. Plus, we should probably be playing BB on the flank, anyway.

If we don't trade Tino, at least don't let him be captain. I think Ben has a sentimental blind spot when it comes to Quaranta.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | December 17, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

This is a good move. Cronin Looked great at the end of 2009 with D.C. I'd like to see pontius healthy for a season before they let him go. I would have liked to see rodney wallace for a healthy a season also. Tino and Clyde. I have a sentimental blind spot for them never mind Olsen!

Posted by: pmk000 | December 17, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Perkins will prolly be great next year irregardable, $260,000 is too much. Hamid and Cronin should atleast be better than we've been at the keeper spot for the past few years.

Don't really want to see Pontuis go and it'll be wierd not having Simms.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | December 17, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Avoid any public Christmas events when you get there, Troy.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 17, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, just wow. We couldn't sign the guy last year, supposedly because his girlfriend had a good job.

Now, we get him, but lose a guy who was supposed to be the answer in the first place, but clearly fell short . . . .

The season hasn't even started, but my expectations are low. We basically have a bunch of talented, way too young, homegrown players and . . . . uh, nothing else.

Posted by: delantero | December 17, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I'd disagree a little, I mean last year was historically bad and at least they are making some moves, not all the issues were Perkins' fault but he seemed to lose his mojo and it was best for both the team and him to make a move...and now at least we don't have King or Morsink running the midfield, Dax is certainly an upgrade there.

Posted by: rockotodd | December 17, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I am not crazy about this move. I think Perkins will come back to form this season. Hopefully Hamid is recovering fast. I hope the money we are saving goes to good use.
Thank you to Troy for all your service to the club. I will still wear my Perkins training tops with pride!

Posted by: jjfooty | December 17, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jjfooty | December 17, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Welcome, Cronin...but this is just the ancillary note to the original trade. We lost the #7 pick and this neither brings that back nor anything close to equivalent. We aren't even offloading salary if we have to pick up a portion of Troy's for the next year. I don't think Cronin is going to blossom suddenly into a NT keeper. Perhaps those days are behind Troy, but at least he had it in him once upon a time. Perhaps -- as I desperately search for a silver lining -- this avoids a GK controversy should Hamid win the starting job and is easier than doubling Hamid's salary.

Posted by: troy6 | December 17, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero
------------------------

I see the glass as half full. We're starting to focus on young talent (Wolff notwithstanding) and clearing cap space. Unlike last off-season I feel like DCU is making some good moves.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | December 18, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

To all the hates on Steve Cronin. @RyanPore had this to say...

And for all you labeling SC as a D2 talent, have no idea what you're talking about. The guy can play and play at a high level!

Posted by: I-95Exit43 | December 18, 2010 1:49 AM | Report abuse

If you are looking for freebies like myself the best place online to get is "123 Get Samples" You can qualify easily with out credit card.

Posted by: gladysdavis18 | December 18, 2010 3:00 AM | Report abuse

I see a continuation of a trend, Benny putting his stamp on the team. Let's set aside his disasterous year. Perkins was just not a vocal leader on the field. Cronin was more so. I would look for Simms to be moved next for much the same reason. I think Pontius has more of a chance of remaining with the team, but Hernandez seems to fit Benny's mold better. As I read Benny's thinking, Quaranta would be close to untouchable because he owes the DCU badge his life and plays that way, even if the results do not always match the potential. I think it is more likely Quaranta remains captain than he is moved.

Posted by: rcdwriting | December 18, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BurchFan4 | December 17, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

We still have Branko? Isn't he going to have 4-5 Euro2012 qualification games next year? He could potentially miss a big chunk of the season and I’m still not convinced he was that much of a benefit in the first place.

Posted by: Southeasterner | December 18, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

The fire sale was canned late this afternoon.

Deal's off, I wonder?

Posted by: bs2004 | December 17, 2010 5:29 PM
__________________________________________

This other blog seems to have a few readers who know Portuguese. Perhaps they can help you:

Posted by: universityandpark | December 18, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

So, here's some good news, via the twitter

CharlieDavies9 I AM IN THE SQUAD FOR TOMORROW'S MATCH VS BORDEAUX!!! Another step towards the ultimate goal. THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT!!!! #Godisgreat

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | December 18, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Great news about Charlie. I'll always wonder how different WC2010 would've been if he were there...

Posted by: carmines757 | December 18, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Nelsen with a scrappy goal, Rovers 1-0 West Ham.

Spector's decent form in CM seems to be continuing, tho...

Posted by: JkR- | December 18, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

(ie: addition through subtractino).

Posted by: JoeW1 | December 17, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

SubracTino, eh? Freudian typo?!

Posted by: combedge | December 18, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

FSC is showing the FIFA Club World Cup final live, presumably because their regularly scheduled English fare is kaput.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 18, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

OT: I just went to the NYT site and found an obit for this performer, whom I figure probably had at least a couple of followers in this group:

Posted by: universityandpark | December 18, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I will never forget a ball going through Troy's hands, on a rainy night well south of the border, that cost us a trophy. I like the guy, but I'm more excired about Cronin. BTW he was number 0 for Portland.

Posted by: boda-united | December 18, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Cost us a trophy? I assume you mean the 2007 Copa Sudamericana against Chivas, the second leg of a Round of 16 tie.
Let's assume Perkins makes the play there, it ends 0-0 and DC goes through. They still would have had to beat Arsenal de Sarandi and River Plate out of Argentina and then Club América of Mexico in the final to win the trophy.
So while we were all bummed about that result, let's not rewrite history. There was no trophy coming north in that tournament no matter how well Perkins played.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | December 18, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I thought that was an old CONCACAF Champions Cup game where Perkins missed on that rainy night?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | December 18, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@Universityand park -- Yes, I saw that yesterday. Very sad. Beefheart/van Vliet was a true genius. My brother turned me onto him when I was but a lad. I thought it was funny then, but later gained an appreciation. People talk about hi0 sometimes gravelly voice and his eccentric music, but he also recorded two of the most beautiful pop songs ever. If y'all aren't familiar with Cap't. Beefheart, seek out these songs; Too Much Time" and "My Head Is My Only House, Unless It Rains."

Posted by: fischy | December 18, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Charlie Davies: FSC is scrambling to fill, due to the blizzard in England. They're planning on showing Sochaux-Bordeaux tomorrow at 11.

Posted by: fischy | December 18, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Indeed it was the Champions Cup -- a semifinal also against Chivas.
My bad.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | December 18, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

that's right the Mascara Snake,
fast and bulbous.
tight also.

I need to go give a listen to Trout Mouth Replica in honor of the man.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | December 18, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

that's right the Mascara Snake,
fast and bulbous.
tight also.

I need to go give a listen to Trout Mouth Replica in honor of the man.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | December 18, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

VERY DISAPPOINTED! Although I understand the management decision, I also know that every player sometime in their career has their slumps. But I felt that Perkins was on the upswing. As one of the "faces" of DC United, Troy Perkins will be missed! This is my clue that everyone is gone and it will take years to rebuild. In that vein, then for his own personal self interest, this is the best move for Perkins.

Posted by: CWM1 | December 18, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

VERY DISAPPOINTED! I understand the management decision. However, I also understand that at some point in one's career, there will be slumps. And I felt that Perkins was on the upswing, but apparently it was not fast enough for some people. As one of the favorite "faces" of DC United, I wish him well. He will be sorely missed. In his own personal self-interest, I suppose this is the best move for him as United's rebuiiding will take years...

Posted by: CWM1 | December 18, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

need to go give a listen to Trout Mouth Replica in honor of the man.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | December 18, 2010 5:38 PM
============================

I've heard a lot of bands in my time, but this isn't one of them.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 19, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

This move provides an excellent smoke screen for Kasper's incompetence and the reality that his power is undiminished with the selection of Ben as coach.

I do not contend that Ben would want to keep Troy, but I am not sure that he would have wanted Cronin either. The point here is that Ben is in a coach role that is much more secondary than any previous DCU coach and certainly more secondary than any coach that DCU wanted to hire but who rejected the offer.

Kasper brought Troy in as his big find from Cape Cod. Troy parlayed a brilliant stretch in '06 which was in no small amount abetted by a defense that played as well as any DCU team had since Nellie and Petke left into a Best 11, all-star team, GK of the year award. That flash in the pan caused Kasper to unload the best GK in the history of the team, Nicky, who has two MLS rings, one more than Kasper.

When Soehn in 2007, due to his inevitable caveman approach, lost confidence in Troy, the decision was made to banish him even as the opportunity arose for Troy to go overseas. Bob Bradley was ahead of this curve, recognizing Troy was not what he was earlier and ceased calling him up to national team camps.

So where did that leave DCU? Rimando gone, Troy exiled. Wells? Crayton? the local Peruvian kid?, The Return of Troy, ballyhooed like all other moves as the solution that they need? That arc contined for 2008, 2009, and 2010 (3 seasons! How many personnel directors get that kind of rope?) and it passed through the latest guy Kasper says is the answer: Cronin: a USL-level GK that even an MLS expansion team doesn't want.

As such Kasper is still the lead force behind player personnel moves and it appears that Will has no appetite to make the big management changes that are cried out for. If anyone thinks that 2011 is going to be any different, he/she is dreaming. The losing culture at that place is still there and really nothing appears to be happening to change it.

Posted by: lgm6986 | December 19, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

need to go give a listen to Trout Mouth Replica in honor of the man.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | December 18, 2010 5:38 PM
============================

I've heard a lot of bands in my time, but this isn't one of them.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 19, 2010 8:29 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------

Trout Mask Replica isn't a band. It's an album. By Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band. It's one of the most enduring, influential albums from the late 60s, early 70s. THough Capt. Beefheart remains fairly obscure, writers always not the album was produced by Frank Zappa....because he's a little more famous. Trout Mask Replica was ranked #58 on Rolling Stone's 2003 list The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

Mostly, it's an arty take on Delta Blues music, but that description probably doesn't do it justice or prepare a listener to hear something they've never really heard before.

Captain Beefheart: Don van Vliet

The Magic Band:
Bill Harkleroad (Zoot Horn Rollo) – "Glass Finger Guitar" (slide guitar using a glass slide) and flute
Jeff Cotton (Antennae Jimmy Semens) – "Steel Appendage Guitar" (slide guitar using a metal slide)
Victor Hayden (The Mascara Snake) – bass clarinet
Mark Boston (Rockette Morton) – bass guitar
John French (Drumbo) -- drums and percussion.

Posted by: fischy | December 19, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

@lgm -- WTF??!!??

Let's begin by noting that you've invented an alternate history for the team. Soehn didn't lose confidence in Perkins. A Norwegian team wanted to pay him $800k in 2008. That was out of DCU's league. Also, Bob Bradley was never ahead of the curve on Perkins. If my memory serves me, he'd been called into one camp, briefly, while he was still with DC., and never capped. He finally got to play for the USA in the Gold Cup in 2009, where he was shelled by Mexico in the final. He wasn't invited back.

I always thought Rimando got a raw deal, but Perkins was hardly a flash-in-the-pan. He was a legitimately good find, although apparently very raw when he first came in (Alecko joked about how easy he was to beat). Hs rawness makes it even more impressive that Kasper saw something there...something good enough to get Perkins training stints with 2 EPL teams, even before he made the MLS Best XI and got GK of the Year. And, his best year was the year after that. Troy had a bad year last year. That doesn't make him a scrub, or diminish Kasper's foresight in signing him.

As for control -- if the DCU brain-trust had actual control, they might not have had to bring Perkins back. According to knowledgeable folks, at the draft 2 years ago, Soehn and/or Kasper wanted the team to draft Stefan Frei, but Vic MacF overruled the FO and forced the team to draft local boy Rodney Wallace. If you want to point to a singular moment where the downfall of the team became irreversible, that was probably it.

I don't know how much control Olsen has, but I'd guess it's a little more than you think. His input, at least, is very much respected in the front office.

Posted by: fischy | December 19, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Y'kniw -- looking at Wikipedia's Perkins page, I can see how the diea arose that DCU had lost confidence in Perkins. The page, I think wrongly, states "Perkins move to Norway was influenced by the fact that D.C. United acquired goalkeeper Zach Wells on December 12, 2007."

It's true that trade, and the aborted Joe Cannon deal that preceded it, did come two weeks before the Perkins to Valerenga move was announced. What we didn't know at the time of the trade was that move was already in the offing...which is why DCU was looking for an established 'keeper.

I should correct one thing -- Perkins didn't get the $800k -- that was a transfer fee. However he did get a 4x raise, to a salary DCU didn't want to commit to him. Ironically, even though he did get that kind of money when he returned to MLS, that salary might have ben a factor in moving him to Portland.

Posted by: fischy | December 19, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Oops --I take it back. DId some checking. We did know at the time of the Wells-Boswell swap that DC was selling Perkins to a Scandinavian club.

Posted by: fischy | December 19, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

This is a good move for everyone involved. Troy needs a new scene, we need to rebuild every position.

We're letting go of players who I feel will still have good MLS careers. However, we have had a culture of losing for the past 3 years, and its time to revamp the team and begin a new era.

I'm not one for slash and burn and Ben seems to be doing a good job of making quality swaps. No block buster deals, but this latest one is an experienced, expensive keeper on the down-and-outs in exchange for a young-cheap-potential-laden keeper. Good move for both sides.

Good Luck Troy, Welcome Steve and Vamos United!

Posted by: SoccerVA | December 19, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

DCU (Soehn in particular, who has no patience with players and gets down on those who make mistakes - Carroll, Erpen, Boswell) had started to think that Troy was not what his 2006 honors led the outside world to believe following the shocker in Guadalajara. They were stuck with him for 2007 because the back-up, Jay Nolly, was as far back in Soehn's doghouse as anyone else. They started to get serious about a move as soon as yet another disappointing season came to an end in the play-offs and Troy had become very ordinary.

Bob had in fact stopped calling him in and when the opportunity to go overseas came up, it was a deus ex machina that allowed all concerned to produce a happy ending and Kasper to escape the ignominy of having to explain why he offloaded a player he peacocked about discovering and who was just one year earlier one of the most decorated players in MLS.

It fit very nicely for Kasper as it allowed him to look as if DCU had themselves covered in goal with a competent GK in Wells, a trade that they paid a big price for in Bobby, equally out of favor with Soehn. Additionally, they could justify publically that the "high" price (Boswell) to replace Troy was worth paying because, after all he was just one year removed from MLS's best.

Kasper just didn't do his homework on Wells. Wells had long been regarded among MLS players and coaches as a wingnut and it surprised no one who knew of his past antics that he would go off and pull a Dean Moriarty.

Posted by: lgm6986 | December 19, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse