Posted at 6:27 PM ET, 12/ 8/2010

D.C. United roster status

By Steve Goff

With six weeks until training camp opens (yes, just six weeks), D.C. United's roster is still very much a work in progress. Additional player acquisitions are possible through the second stage of the re-entry draft next Wednesday; the SuperDraft (college players) on Jan. 13; international, homegrown and free agent signings; and trades. At the moment, here are where things stand:

GOALKEEPERS
Returning: Troy Perkins, Bill Hamid.

DEFENDERS
Returning: Dejan Jakovic, Jed Zayner, Marc Burch, Julius James, Devon McTavish.
Out: Rodney Wallace (traded to Portland), Jordan Graye (expansion draft), Juan Manuel Pena (out of league).
Maybe: Barry Rice (invited to training camp).

MIDFIELDERS
Returning: Branko Boskovic, Clyde Simms, Andy Najar, Santino Quaranta, Stephen King, Junior Carreiro, Conor Shanosky.
In: Dax McCarty (trade with Portland).
Maybe: Kurt Morsink (in contract talks), Carlos Varela (might be offered new deal), Brandon Barklage (invited to training camp).

FORWARDS
Returning: Pablo Hernandez, Chris Pontius.
In: Joseph Ngwenya (re-entry draft from Houston).
Out: Jaime Moreno (club decision), Danny Allsopp (contract terminated).
Maybe: Adam Cristman (in contract talks).

By Steve Goff  | December 8, 2010; 6:27 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United selects Houston Dynamo forward Joseph Ngwenya in the MLS re-entry draft
Next: Video: Independiente's Facundo Parra scores with a volley from sitting position in the penalty area

Comments

Looks like our midfield is fine. Lacks maybe a little depth on the bench, but Between McCarty, Boskovic, Quaranta, Simms, and (be still my heart) Najar there's a solid line. If Pontius can stay healthy, maybe we'll have a goal scorer up front... I could also see grooming Najar to play up front at some point.

The back line still looks like a shambles though. Is it just me, or do we try and annually get better results with the same people back there? What the hell is the front office doing?

Posted by: Egadman | December 8, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Honestly I would have liked to see Burch or McTavish sent to Portland than Wallace.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | December 8, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Any insigt as to the full training camp invite list?? There have to be some out of contract guys of interest.

Posted by: euroman | December 8, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I smell a trade coming. DCU midfielder for a draft pick. I'm calling Simms for a low 1st/high 2nd or King for a 3rd round pick.

Posted by: benonthehill | December 8, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

feelin' ya there benon. Simms is some decent trade bait. Shanosky is the future. Like Simms but he seems to have peaked and those pics of him in the hot pants in the alley don't help...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 8, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

espn has an interesting article on Olsen

some pretty damning quotes from Perkins about the culture withing the club. He seems to blame it more or less on Onalfo but I wonder if it was also meant for those higher up the chain

Posted by: fedssocr | December 8, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Tired of the whole "Simms is trade bait" theory. He's a solid player. The last two solid players we got rid of (Boswell, Carroll) we sorely regretted. I don't care what people say about him, I think his play has been vitally important to us since Carroll left.

Morsink should go in my opinion. He's awful in passing and possession. Let's groom Shanosky.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | December 8, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree with UnitedDemon1. When he's healthy, Clyde is the backbone of this team. He is a rock. And I think he has the kind of attitude that Olsen appreciates.

Posted by: glfrazier | December 8, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I saw Clyde pretty trashed at the Nationals stadium the day before a DC United game. I'm not sure he's a guy you can rely on. At this level you need to take exceptional care of your body.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | December 8, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I have no desire to see Simms go simply for a draft pick. Even if it is a first rounder. He may not be getting any better but the man is solid where he is at (assuming healthy).

Between Conrad, Gibbs, or Cochrane, DCU better make a move. I would prefer Gibbs or Cochrane for cap reasons, but would in no way regret the money on Conrad if that is the choice.

Posted by: elopingcamel | December 8, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

@UnitedDemon1,

I like Simms too. He IS a solid player—the team's best over the past three years. But you have to give up something to get something. I can't imagine Morsink would go for more than a 2012 4th rounder. And I'd rather have him for his veteran heart and bite than a long shot draft pick.

Posted by: benonthehill | December 8, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

@ benonthehill

You took the words right out of my mouth. Simms is a player that we should get another good player for.

Posted by: francisco_11 | December 8, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

That article linked above is pretty good, but it skips the most daunting task facing Benihno: spelling Leander Schaerlaeckens.

Posted by: daggar | December 8, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mbyrd28 | December 8, 2010 8:02 PM

+++++++++++++++++

This post qualifies you as a serious dooosh.

Posted by: JkR- | December 8, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Simms is not the player we should get rid of, unliading quality makes zero sense. I would rather take Conrad, because of his ability to read the game and his organization. You have got to imagine DC claims Ethan White, so the RB spot gets depth, possibly a starter. I think we need a striker to lead the line. I can see us going with a 4-3-3 next year if we get a striker. That way both Najar and Pontius can play wide and high. Plus a mid combo of Dax, Simms and Bosko could be very effective. I also hope we get Omar Salgado in the draft, I don't think he is the answer right away but I think he can impact the game even as a rookie. If Dillon Powers comes out, I may lean towards him over Salgado.

Posted by: grubbsbl | December 8, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

The problem is, the FO sucks at trading (bear in mind we don't know what McCarty is going to be like on or off the field). We lose Simms for even a good first round pick, but what if that sucks? Besides, I don't see many clubs with a dearth of the mop up player Simms has been for us.

I see no reason for this, given DC's circumstances. Improved clubs acquire quality players over time and minimize risk. Why are we constantly trying to bridge the quality gap in one offseason by scrapping important pieces?

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | December 8, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I gotta agree with United Demon. In addition if we want to play possession soccer, Simms is a must. He is a poor Makalelee (very poor) in that he likes to sit deep and make the simply passes. You wanna keep the ball, you need that. Let Dax push on with his energy, in the sense Fletcher does for United these days.

Posted by: grubbsbl | December 8, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

It's a credible MLS roster--Wallace for McCarty was a giant leap in that direction. Except at forward. None of those guys strikes me as a true forward, much less a striker or target guy. If Pontius ends up at the top, I think he's wasted there. But at least in him DCU would have someone willing and able to really pressure the ball from up there. The club really feasted on that in its glory years and it's been missing for a while.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | December 8, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Chris Seitz will be up in round 2 of the reentry draft, and again we have the first pick. If Hamid recovers and gets in shape (big ifs in my opinion)is it worth going after him and seeing what we could get for Perkins? Probably a non-starter, because I think Perkins has a multiyear contract at a high level, but still....

Posted by: b18bolo | December 8, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

+1 @ JkR

Posted by: rockotodd | December 8, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

b18bolo, I don't get the shot at Hamid. He is under 20 years old, I am sure he will be fine. When has his work rate been questioned, ever? In addition, no one will trade for Perkins with the contract he is on. We need a defender to sure up the backline and there are a few quality CB's in this "re-entry" thing, so lets not waste in on some long shot trade bait.

I agree with Godfather that Ponttius is wasted up top in a pure forward role. However, I think a formation that can get both Pontius and Najar the ball in high and wide positions is the best way to use both. This of course requires a major acquisition at striker. Not Angel, I think he can contribute at this level but not is DC's current set up. Roque Santa Cruz anyone....

I also am not sold on the need for a pure number 10, or a DP in that mold. I think success in the MLS requires midfielders who have energy and can link the play from the back to the front.

Posted by: grubbsbl | December 8, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mbyrd28
------------------------------------------

That's a serious allegation when said about a professional athlete. Messing with his career by making it anonymously on blog is lame beyond belief, mbyrd28.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | December 8, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

approximately 102 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | December 8, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | December 8, 2010 10:02 PM
=========================

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 8, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | December 8, 2010 10:02 PM
=========================

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 8, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mbyrd28
------------------------------------------

That's a serious allegation when said about a professional athlete . .
----

Really? He had to be trashed, he was at a baseball game. It's really the only way to watch it.

And . . I'm really tired of people expecting professional athletes to be saints . . or anyone else for that matter . . who cares if he was trashed?! It's not like he was playing this season . . he was injured half the time . . . beer's good for the hammy!

Posted by: delantero | December 8, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

So can I say that about Szetela?

Because he isn't a professional athlete...

Posted by: Reignking | December 8, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

More importantly, looking at the United roster leaves me blank.

Posted by: delantero | December 8, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

delantero...
+1+1+1
I think next year we should have a Soccer Insider group ride to lot 8 from "The Yards" park next to the Nat's stadium. We can drink and ride the whole way there...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 8, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mbyrd28 | December 8, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine a player not needing to drink heavily during this last season...I certainly did as a fan.

Posted by: Southeasterner | December 8, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Ummm -- Dad -- you do remember what happened to the last 2 guys drinking on one of those buses, right?

Posted by: fischy | December 8, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

That's a great side. I imagine you'll at least duplicate your success from this last season with those players. Maybe your goal differential will improve slightly, but you'll probably finish close to where you did last year.

Posted by: Unternehmen | December 9, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | December 8, 2010 10:54 PM
========================

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 9, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

"And all those guys "negotiating" from Cristman to Morsink should be bottom dollared as they will not help the team save for practice time. They shouldn't make the 11 ever or even the top 18." - delantero

Agreed.

Also, not to sound as negative as our friend Unterpantsen above, but -- can we rely that much on Pontius? 23 starts in 2009, 4 goals, 3 assists? I've seen flashes of brilliance from him, but . . .

Posted by: fallschurch1 | December 9, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Fischy, I'm talking about riding bicycles from the Yards on the trail that runs into lot 8... Standing up on double decker buses going under bridges is not on the itinerary... :)

Posted by: DadRyan | December 9, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

@benonthehill: I agree with you. I think Simms is on the chopping block. But I think we get more for him than a super draft pick. I see us either picking up an experienced center back or forward in the deal.

Posted by: Matte | December 9, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

here's another thought. maybe tino winds up being the one traded and simms stays.

Posted by: Matte | December 9, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

@Matte,

My guess of low 1st/high 2nd round may be pessimistic for Simms. But I don't think we get an impact forward for him. At best we get depth. As for CB, I'm assuming we're about to grab one in phase 2 of the re-entry draft.

Bottom line is, we can argue who's on the block, but I can't imaging the FO isn't trying to trade the one thing we've got lots of—dmids.

Posted by: benonthehill | December 9, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Steve,

You hear anything about Amir Lowery's tryout with United a few weeks ago? He plays defensive mid for the Cary, NC Railhawks. Good player, probably would be a good pickup.

Posted by: phurt60 | December 9, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse