Posted at 6:37 PM ET, 12/21/2010

Poll: Landon Donovan won't return to Everton

By Steve Goff

Los Angeles Galaxy captain Landon Donovan will not return to Everton this winter on short-term loan, as he did with much success last year, because of concerns about fatigue. Donovan has played 50 meaningful games in each of the past two years. In early 2009, he was with Bayern Munich before diving back into the MLS season.

"While I enjoyed my time at Everton last season and still appreciate all the support their fans have given me, I feel that it is important to continue to rest and recover this offseason as opposed to going on loan. I never considered being loaned to a club other than Everton, but I have been playing nearly non-stop for the past two years and I believe that this decision will allow me to perform at my best for the Galaxy and the national team throughout the upcoming year."

In 2011, with the Galaxy, Donovan faces a longer MLS calendar and the CONCACAF Champions League campaign. With the national team, he will be called upon for the CONCACAF Gold Cup, major friendlies and the start of World Cup qualifying.

By Steve Goff  | December 21, 2010; 6:37 PM ET
Categories:  England, MLS, Poll, U.S. men's national team  | Tags:  Everton, Landon Donovan, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United signs Andy Najar to new contract, adds Pat Onstad to coaching staff
Next: Chivas USA's Michael Lahoud weighs Sierra Leone option after being overlooked for U.S. training camp

Comments

Good decision. But sad, because Everton seemed good for him.

Posted by: garbageout | December 21, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm disappointed he made the right decision.

I enjoyed Everton's burst last year when joined. But the dude's got to be knackered.

Posted by: JkR- | December 21, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Everton should outright buy him. Donovan should throw his weight around. MLS doesn't need him this much anymore. We've got stars, and young up and comers. Let America;s rep come first.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | December 21, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I suspect that JkR's sentiment -- right decision, but still disappointing -- will be the prevailing opinion in American soccer circles.

In the broader picture, I also suspect that at some point down the road, maybe eight or 10 years from now, there will be nearly unanimous appreciation for Donovan's overall loyalty to MLS. It will be part of the conventional wisdom -- a recognition that Donovan's allegiance to homegrown soccer was crucial to the league's vitality and credibility.

Posted by: BChris | December 21, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I think he's made the right decision and voted as such, but I do deep down think he should go back if a HUGE transfer sum was offered. As Goff says that's unlikely, but seems like the rumor mill on First Kick among other things in the last couple days have been filled with smoke screens and uncertainty... soooo... you never know. Personally I'd rather be chillin' on the beach in Cali with my Pits, sippin' Pinot Grigio and eatin' lamb pizzas but that's just me...
;)

Posted by: DadRyan | December 21, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I am unmoved by the stat of 50 meaningful games? If he went to a top Euro team, he'd be playing that many for club alone. Heck, Beckham wants to play year-round, and he's twice Donovan's age.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 21, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I am unmoved by that stat. But my fingers were moved to press the "Shift" and "?" keys simultaneously.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 21, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

As a Toffee fan, a Galaxy fan and a USMNT fan - I'm torn. Ultimately though, I think Landy made the right decision.

He looked fatigued after his World Cup leave, he came back and definitely wasn't the same. He now KNOWS he's world-class quality, as shown by his fine performances for Everton last year.

Everton has tried to get Landon's services on the cheap as Moyes has said they can't afford him and were hoping for a loan. Well, they are going down the drain, they will not have any resurgence that they had while Landon was there last year and unfortunately have thrown the little money they have spent on some ill-fitting acquisitions - none of which have shown the class and fit right in like Landon did.

Overall, the right decision by Landon. Really hope that Everton can avoid relegation now...

Posted by: CyberCosmiX | December 21, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I just wanted to THANK YOU so much for find 3.17% Rate. You were great! The closing went really smoothly on my Mortgage Refinance. As in the past, I'll continue to tell everyone about "123 Mortgage Refinance"

Posted by: tanyacole | December 22, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

"Heck, Beckham wants to play year-round, and he's twice Donovan's age."
-------------------------------------------

Partially true. The difference is Beckham has only played 2.5 of the last 12 months due to his wooing of FIFA, personal appearances during the World Cup, and oh, yeah, that pesky iunjury thing.....

Beckham NEEDS to play. Donovan needs a break. Simple equation, IMHO.

Posted by: Throwin64 | December 22, 2010 5:26 AM | Report abuse

Bad decision. He should play continuously for club and country until he's 40.

Just because it made me chuckle.

Posted by: wanker82 | December 22, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

With Cahill going walkabout for the Asian Cup in January, Everton could really really really use someone like Donovan to keep them afloat.

Posted by: edgeonyou | December 22, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Smart move for him, but I loved watching at Everton. It's probably a good move mentally as well, as he may still be trying to reconcile with that gorgeous wife!

Posted by: FulhamDC | December 22, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it was Bianca who quashed the loan idea because Landon was getting some Merseyside delight.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 22, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 22, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

==================

Sky rockets in flight! Merseyside delight!

Posted by: OWNTF | December 22, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse