Posted at 10:15 AM ET, 12/ 4/2010

Saturday kickaround: Maryland Terrapins, NCAA tournaments, Crystal Palace Baltimore, Jose Torres, World Cup decisions

By Steve Goff

*Read my feature about Zac MacMath, the University of Maryland and U.S. under-20 goalkeeper who is ready to turn pro. The Terrapins face Michigan at 1 p.m. today in the NCAA quarterfinals.

*One quarterfinal is already in the books, and it had a familiar ending. For the third consecutive week, North Carolina advanced on penalty kicks, 4-2 over Southern Methodist after a 1-1 draw. The fourth-seeded Tar Heels will await the winner of the Louisville-UCLA match in the College Cup semifinals.

*In the women's final four, Stanford and Notre Dame advanced to Sunday's final with shutout victories.

*Crystal Palace Baltimore, a financial wreck that has played in the second division in front of few spectators and at a variety of home venues, will not field a team in 2011 and hopes to reorganize for a 2012 season. It has also parted ways with its London-based namesake, which is having its own money problems but was funneling only a small annual payment to the U.S. affiliate.

*Might U.S. World Cup midfielder Jose Torres end up in MLS next season?

*In this insightful video report, Bloomberg looks at the business angle of the World Cup decisions:

By Steve Goff  | December 4, 2010; 10:15 AM ET
Categories:  2018 World Cup, 2022 World Cup, Americans Abroad, College Soccer, FIFA, MLS, Mexico, U.S. men's national team, USA 2nd division, Women  | Tags:  FIFA, MLS, college soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: List of players available in MLS re-entry draft
Next: Video: Samir Nasri goal for Arsenal vs. Fulham

Comments

Fulham, struggling for much of the first 30' and lucky to be down only by one (Nasri), gets an equalizer from Kamara (sp?) from a nicely threaded ball by Deuce.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 4, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Ok, homer hat on:

The penalty Chelsea just scored against Everton should not have been awarded. For those that weren't watching, Neville plays a TERRIBLE back pass Anelka was running towards before he even passes it. Howard comes charging out, but will never get there first, and breaks down in a great athletic stance about 5 yards in the box. Anelka touches to the direct inside, towards the spot, then begins to run around the outside of Howard, Howard watches the ball go by him, and Anelka veers slightly right, bowling over Howard, like Peyton Hillis against that Carolina DB Sunday. Referee blows the whistle, and awards a penalty and Howard a yellow card, as an Everton defender was covering to clear the ball after contact. Drogba converts.

I think Anelka did all the work to make the contact, and actually made the foul, as Howard was stading still and looking away from him...

Also, great few touches around two defenders by Dempsey before the fine pass.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | December 4, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

If Kamara could finish, or learn the offsides rule we might have 2 or more!

Posted by: FulhamDC | December 4, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Nasri puts Arsenal ahead (75') with some nice footwork. Arshavin, among three white shirts, set it up nicely.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 4, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Everton equalize on the 86th!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | December 4, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I go to the same gym as a number of people involved with Crystal Palace USA. I started chatting about the team once, he asked me what I would think if the team changed their name to FC Baltimore. I would prefer a traditional American name but one of my big complaints about CPUSA is that there's nothing "Baltimore" about it, you couldn't even get a shirt that said Baltimore, it was all stuff from parent club. They didn't even get a separate local shirt sponsor.

www.fcbaltimore.com redirects to the CPUSA page. I imagine they will be returning in 2012 as FC Baltimore.

Posted by: uac1530 | December 4, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: uac1530 | December 4, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson on in the 89th.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 4, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The penalty Chelsea just scored against Everton should not have been awarded.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | December 4, 2010 10:49 AM
_________________________________________

Everything you said tracks what I thought at the time.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 4, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Final Arsenal 2 - Fulham 1. Three nice goals, many good (but missed) chances, and a ton of excitement at the end. From a neutral perspective it was very entertaining.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 4, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: uac1530 | December 4, 2010 11:48 AM
=========

I wonder when Will Chang will buy that domain name.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

CPB is allegedly still in debt to various people... and has there been any word on the stadium study? It was due out in late November as I recall. I wonder if they took the state of the potential teams to occupy the space into account and were waiting for some word from CPB itself.

Posted by: Modibo | December 4, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Nasri is a ball hog.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 4, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

If CPB doesn't play I don't think the NASL will be able to get/keep its US Soccer sanctioning. I beleive the league needed 8 teams to qualify.

Posted by: soccerman | December 4, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

It was entertaining. Fulham's mid field and strikers worked together better today than they have all season. Defense was atrocious though. Now 0-22-3 at the Arsenal. Tickets will be cheaper next season in the Championship.

Posted by: FulhamDC | December 4, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FulhamDC | December 4, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post. The emotional strain of the season is wearing on me.

Posted by: FulhamDC | December 4, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry. Dempsey will save Fulham from relegation again.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 4, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Bad news from College Park today. Terps led 1-0 at the half, gave up 2 in the second, equalized with I believe 6 minutes left, then lost in the second half of overtime.
Season's over for the Terps but hats off to Michigan. They played a good game.

Posted by: dsheon1 | December 4, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Go Blue! What a game in College Park

Posted by: aschreur | December 4, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Finally TWC adds an HD soccer channel, FS Plus. Looks sweet on my 46 inch Samsung. Yeah!

Posted by: freekick | December 4, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

So, craziness of no precedent in Akron right now. 3-3 in OT. But that's not what's so crazy...

According to Joe Mauceri, earlier in the game, Caleb Porter was incensed about an offside call not being made, AR CJ Morgante told center ref Peter Dhima he needed to eject Porter, or he would leave. Dhima would not send Porter off, so Morgante walked off the field. The 4th official took over the AR slot, and NCAA referee "overlord" (his words, I presume he's an official's supervisor) has moved to 4th official. Naturally, the AR took his flag with him, so I guess the 4th is now calling offsides and fouls with his arm?

Thanks to Goff for linking to the story on twitter.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | December 4, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow...saw that Akron just won but didn't hear about that Referee Meltdown. AR's wife: "YOU DID WHAT?"

Posted by: aschreur | December 4, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

that works MLS games too. no loss.

I suspect that they had a back up set of flags. ;-)

Posted by: fedssocr | December 4, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I absolutely agree about the Howard-Anelka play that led to Drogba's penalty conversion. That's a foul on Anelka. I was astonished to hear the announcers saying it was a clear penalty and Howard was lucky not to be sent off. Anelka clearly, purposefully, ran over Howard in a cynical attempt to play the referee instead of the ball.

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | December 4, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

live feed for UCLA-Louisville: http://www.ncaa.com/allaccess/?media=215175

bonus: if you tune in RIGHT NOW, you will get to hear some Journey and a view of the scorecard

Posted by: Pedalada | December 4, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Suggest DCU look at this guy for the draft - you could see he WANTED this game: http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/quijano_jeffrey00.html

And sign Ethan White as well.

Posted by: Pedalada | December 4, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Louisville scores in final minute of regulation to win 5-4 on a snowy field. First trip to College Cup for Louisville and Michigan.

Posted by: Pedalada | December 4, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pedalada | December 4, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Bloomberg looks at the business angle of the World Cup decisions:

I did not see any discussion of the business angle, with all respect.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | December 4, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I've been big on Ethan White, but he was at fault for the overtime goal. He committed early, missed completely and left the an open path to the keeper behind him. Not one of his best moments.

Posted by: dsheon1 | December 4, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freekick | December 4, 2010 6:16 PM
__________________________________________

My first reaction was to wonder when the Weather Channel got into football. Then I realized that you were talking about Time Warner Cable.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 5, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | December 4, 2010 7:55 PM
_________________________________________

Yeah, what specific act did he commit (tripping, kicking, etc.)? At worst he could have been dinged for obstruction (a misdemeanor that calls for an indirect kick), but even that is dubious, given that Anelka ran straight into Howard, when the path to the ball was to the inside of Howard.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 5, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | December 4, 2010 7:55 PM
_________________________________________

Posted by: universityandpark | December 5, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Pedalada,

I don't know that Quijano is that good overall as a defender, but he was a key reason Michigan won yesterday and made it's first ever Final Four. More impressive to me than his opening goal was how he set up the 2nd goal - a long dribble forward that gradually drew several Maryland defenders and opened up space for Justin Meram to receive the ball in a dangerous goalscoring position. Quijano also started the brouhaha at the end of regulation when he tried to block McMath's punt (not allowed) and both teams got huffy and squared off "with handbags at 10 paces" -but I believe no one was booked.

Overall, Michigan's defense didn't seem that strong as Maryland created lots of shots - just not lots of shots that resulted in goals.

For Michigan the touted trio of Soony & Hamoody Saad and Justin Meran all lived up to their billing of skillful attackers.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 5, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse