Posted at 2:36 PM ET, 12/13/2010

USA-Egypt friendly in Cairo, Jordan Graye on move again, wedding plans for Kyle Martino

By Steve Goff

*The U.S. national team will play African Cup champion Egypt on Feb. 9 in a friendly in Cairo, the U.S. Soccer Federation announced Monday. The Americans are also set to play Chile on Jan. 22 in Carson, Calif., and hoping to arrange a match with Argentina in late March.

"To play against the champions of Africa in what will be a fantastic environment in Cairo is a great opportunity as we get ready for the CONCACAF Gold Cup," Coach Bob Bradley said. TV plans haven't been finalized yet. The sides last met at the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa, a 3-0 U.S. victory in the first-round finale.

*Defender Jordan Graye, who started 20 league matches in his rookie season with D.C. United, has been traded by the Portland Timbers to the Houston Dynamo for a 2014 fourth-round draft pick. The Timbers had selected him in the ninth round of the expansion draft.

*Former University of Virginia star Kyle Martino, who spent six seasons in MLS and has had TV gigs with ESPN and Fox Soccer Channel, is engaged to Susan Sarandon's daughter, actress Eva Amurri ("Californication" and "House", among other appearances).

By Steve Goff  | December 13, 2010; 2:36 PM ET
Categories:  Africa, D.C. United, MLS, U.S. men's national team  | Tags:  D.C. United, Eva Amurri, U.S. national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday kickaround: Arsenal-Manchester United, Akron NCAA champions, Virginia goalkeeper
Next: Tuesday kickaround: WPS demise, MLS re-entry draft, Edgar Castillo loan, Club World Cup

Comments

I think we should play a 4-3-2-1 in Egypt.

Posted by: Reignking | December 13, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

RK, I see what you did there....

Posted by: JkR- | December 13, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I think we should play a 4-3-2-1 in Egypt.

Posted by: Reignking
=========================

Well played, sir. Well played. I-270-worthy, indeed.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 13, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be a good scheme.

Posted by: Reignking | December 13, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be a good scheme...

Posted by: Reignking | December 13, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Wait, I just read this part: "... is engaged to Susan Sarandon's daughter."

Man, I wouldn't wish such a punishment on any individual.

Eva: "Honey, I'm worried about my mom. I think it's time she moved in with us."

Kyle:

Eva: "Kyle, did you hear me? I think my mom should move in with us. Permanently. We have the extra bedroom."

Kyle: [Sound of suitcase closing]

Eva: "Kyle? Are you there?"

Kyle: [Sound of screeching tires ]

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 13, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"Hey babe, I got traded. . . . No, not for a current player, for a draft pick. . . . No, no allocation money. . . . No, it wasn't for a first round pick . . . Well, fourth round, actually. . . . No, not this year's draft. . . Uh, well, the 2014 draft. . . . So, you want to have dinner tonight? . . . Later this week? . . . Lunch? . . . Hello?"

Posted by: dccal | December 13, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Outdoing yourself today Reignpharaoh.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 13, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

So do the Timbers have an inside scoop on a current high school senior that will be available in the 4th round in 4 years time?

If so, I think we need their scouting staff...

Posted by: SoccerVA | December 13, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Eva Amurri? Martino must have made a better play than he ever did in MLS.

Posted by: griffin1108 | December 13, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Before you slam Eva Amurri, you need to google her. For all the jokes about Kyle Martino being a particular part of someone's anatomy, he's doing quite well here.

As for Jordan Graye, a bizarre result. This effectively says that either he decided he didn't want to move to Portland. OR Portland decided they didn't want him afterall and dumped him for whatever they could get (ie: 2014 4th round pick = bag of balls and a six pack past its expiration date). In 2014, with new expansion teams and more talent being pulled out through "academy" rights (3 potential first rounders could be pulled out by DCU, Philly and NYRB this way), that 4th round pick is really more like a 5th round pick.

Posted by: JoeW1 | December 13, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

*Former University of Virginia star Kyle Martino, . . blah blah blah . .

What is this People Magazine?!?!

Posted by: delantero | December 13, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

More like Maxim . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | December 13, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I'd trade a 3rd rd pick next year to get Graye back. He just needs a little seasoning, time to get crispy and he'll a fine player.

Posted by: delantero | December 13, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@JoeW1,

And it makes me think Olsen just didn't want him. Hard to imagine Portland wouldn't have at least shopped him to United. And if Olsen thought he had ANY promise, he'd have offered a 2014 3rd rounder or, say, a 2013 4th rounder.

Posted by: benonthehill | December 13, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Graye had a whole season to ... get seasoned. He never got any better despite all the PT, and I would argue he actually got worse. Maybe it was too much seasoning.

Posted by: fedssocr | December 13, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

why did fabregas and vanpersie not start?

Posted by: Matte | December 13, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Curse you Monday for not being a telecommuting day. And curse you IT staff for blocking ESPN3. And curse you droid phone for having a small screen and a low battery. And curse you EPSN3 for not accepting my Verizon username and password (they work fine when I want to pay my bill).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 13, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I'll go out on a limb and say that Graye is released by Houston in the next 12 months.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | December 13, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

In what may be the final death nail, the Chicago Red Stars of the WPS have ceased operations.................what a shame. :(

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | December 13, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Graye fits Houston's scheme (outside backs with speed who can get up and down the field) very well. I think he makes the team as a backup but then gets exposed in the expansion draft again and probably gets picked b/c he's young, fast and cheap and by then a 2-year vet.

Posted by: JoeW1 | December 13, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow! So the WPS is just an Atlantic coast league now. Is there a dispersal draft? Can any team afford the big-name players?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 13, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Pretty good pull for Martino IMO.

I'd give Eva an Etcheverry for her body and I guess since its the holiday season a Harkes for her face...and then you add in the bankroll she must be sitting on. Dude could have done far far worse (like being used as a punchline on a reality show re: Alecko)

Posted by: Henchlow | December 13, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

270,

The story on ESPN Chicago didn't elaborate other than to say they were ceasing operations. I don't think anyone in the WPS wants to pay a big salary at this point.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | December 13, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Man, if Kyle had met his future wife when he was still play, maybe Susan Sarandon could have taught him to breathe through his eyelids and prolonged his career.

And based on the comments to him from United supporters, I suspect Kyle has already worn the garter belt.

Posted by: mercedeskk | December 13, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mercedeskk | December 13, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr | December 13, 2010 4:24 PM

He never seemed to learn from his mistakes, which would seem to be the goal of "seasoning".

Posted by: VTUnited | December 13, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Graye is soft. If you can walk off the field with an "injury" only to be replaced by Julius James you aren't earning your money or the respect of anyone in the team. He lacks the mettle for this level of play, or what I'd like to see in MLS. Perhaps getting kicked around like this will put a chip on his shoulder and he grows some balls in the off season and mans up.
Or perhaps he pulls a Zach Wells and drives off into the sunset in his sissy mobile... ;)

Posted by: DadRyan | December 13, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Ethan white to dcu!!! You heard it here first!

Posted by: bignoodles | December 13, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Approximately 97 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | December 13, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | December 13, 2010 5:42 PM
_________________________________________

The WPS site provides one significant detail; namely, that the Chicago owners characterize this as a one-year sabbatical, and they claim that they intend to get back in the game in 2012. Of course, they would have to rebuild the team from scratch, as the entire roster has been granted free agent status.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 14, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps I didn't watch enough matches, but I didn't think Graye was that bad. To essentially be given away (we all know the MLS *Super* draft is a crapshoot after the first few picks) for a 4th round in 2014 is not good at all.

@benonthehill: I totally agree with your analysis.

Posted by: tundey | December 14, 2010 5:57 AM | Report abuse

Eva's eyes are enchanting.

Posted by: sofiaboy | December 14, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse