Posted at 6:57 PM ET, 12/16/2010

Video: Another victory for Qatar soccer

By Steve Goff

How did Qatar, ranked 104th in the world and 15th in the Asian confederation, defeat African champion Egypt, 2-1, in a friendly Thursday? No, the FIFA executive committee wasn't involved. But this wayward backpass helped:

By Steve Goff  | December 16, 2010; 6:57 PM ET
Categories:  Africa, Qatar  | Tags:  Qatar
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Washington's RFK Stadium will host two quarterfinal matches in 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup
Next: Video: Maryland Terrapins' top 10 goals

Comments

So bribery works in multiple soccer arenas.

Posted by: DCUinCT | December 16, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I call shenanigans!

Posted by: DonR19 | December 16, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

These games have been ok, but the stadiums sound like funeral chambers . . .

When's this tourney going to move to the U.S.?

You have to figure we're owed something after FIFA's "vote."

Posted by: delantero | December 16, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

you have to admit that looks awfully suspicious

Posted by: fedssocr | December 16, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know Qatar for "It's in the net! It's in the net!"

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 16, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Softest goal I've seen given up since I scored on a toe poke from 12 yards out when I was 9...

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | December 16, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Are they sponsored by the Qatar Foundation?

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure I'm not the only one who smells a rat... That defender is far too nonchalant after that atrocious pass

Posted by: carmines757 | December 16, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I think the defender deserves a lot of credit. He bends the ball beautifully around the keeper, and then it curls back inside the post. Classic stirker's finish.

Posted by: fischy | December 17, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

OT: Tonight's (Thursday) Jeopardy! had a category of clues abour soccer. Four of them were of the sort that most people who read this blog would get without too much trouble. The fifth concerned the source of about 80 percent of the balls manufactured each year, which might surprise some people. (It is one of the relatively few countries that, in terms of playing the game, is closely associated with sports other than soccer.)

Posted by: universityandpark | December 17, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

U&Park: Where is Pakistan?

Posted by: carmines757 | December 17, 2010 2:18 AM | Report abuse

Qatar must have promised Egypt an outdoor, air-conditioned, carbon-neutral stadium.

Many years ago, Julie Foudy took a Reebok-sponsored trip to Pakistan as a PR device to "prove" that soccer balls were not sewn by nine year-old children chained to the factory floor. Anyway, soccer balls are not sewn anymore, so all those nine year-olds went on the unemployment line or joined the Taliban.
(Lighten up, I'm joking)
(sort of)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 17, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

That video elicited a cringe-worthy memory of Brandi's backpass against Germany at Jack Kent Cooke in the QFs of the 1999 WWC.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 17, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

The fix is in!

Posted by: GeneWells | December 17, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

So I-270, your telling me the Taliban was created by high unemployment which resulted from advances in soccerball manufacturing technological advances? I'm writing Drizner at the Foreign policy blog to tell him I got a new lead on international relations theory lol.

Posted by: grubbsbl | December 17, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

So, this is the top flight Egyptian team that the USMNT is facing off against in 2011? No need to bring Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley or Cherundolo for that match. Perhaps Bob Bradley should bring a group of emerging players needing development.

Posted by: Arlington-MA | December 17, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

That first sentence could have been worded better. Oh well. What does DC look like, my plane gets in at 5 pm. (left flagstaff by bus at 230 am my time, sitting in the Phoenix airport now)

Posted by: grubbsbl | December 17, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

DC's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 17, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Gridlock?

Posted by: grubbsbl | December 17, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Roads surprisingly clear today. But below freezing, and a thin blanket of white stuff remains. John Boehner is weeping as he watches Christmas carolers at the Capitol. And Santa's sleigh is in a holding pattern, circling above, waiting for the vote that authorizes him to throw out a trillion dollars -- indiscriminately to both the naughty and the nice. Hope that doesn't delay your landing.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 17, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

DC + snow = gridlock. But you'll get around fine.

Unfortunately, it's not enough to close down Congress. They're still spending our grandkid's money.

There had to be some sort of scheme at work in that Egypt-Qatar game. Perhaps a pyra

No, I can't do it...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | December 17, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Ohhhhhhh - by "leave it" you meant don't kick it back to you? My bad, I thought you meant "kick it back really really soft but don't look at me so that i don't know its coming and it goes around me and I look like a fool trying to chase it down."

We've all done similar things. Then again, these guys are a little bit better than we are (I hope...)

Posted by: SoccerVA | December 17, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Wow - what a goal. That shot was a real daisy-qatar.

Posted by: IamAM | December 17, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Yellow card to IamAM for a professional pun.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 17, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I-270, thanks for your lenience. I was sure I would be red qarded for that.

Posted by: IamAM | December 17, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse