Posted at 1:52 PM ET, 12/14/2010

Video: Mazembe shocks Internacional, 2-0, in the Club World Cup semifinals

By Steve Goff

mazembe.pngWatch the DR Congo club's goals and goalkeeper Muteba Kidiaba's bouncing celebration during a 2-0 upset over Brazil's Internacional in the Club World Cup semifinals in Abu Dhabi. Mazembe, the first non-European or South American side to reach the final, will face Inter Milan or Seongnam (South Korea) on Saturday.

By Steve Goff  | December 14, 2010; 1:52 PM ET
Categories:  Africa, Club World Cup  | Tags:  Club World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United signs Maryland's Ethan White to homegrown contract; Terps goalkeeper Zac MacMath is also turning pro
Next: Wednesday kickaround: MLS, FIFA rankings, U.S. national team, Americans abroad, TV listings

Comments

I swear he stole that celebration from my dog...

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | December 14, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Sweet. I work for an organization that works a lot in Congo. I need a shirt from them. That is an awesome logo.

Posted by: lrg123123 | December 14, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I wanna see Perkins or Hamid perform that celebration at RFK. Many times.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | December 14, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Humperdink?

Posted by: Reignking | December 14, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

guuut one crippledkeeper!

nice goals, both.

. . . CONCACAF Champs League is worthwhile for the prospect that some day not so very far away an MLS attacker will corkscrew a Serie A defender like that and tuck one away . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | December 14, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Ridiculously soft defending. On the first goal, the defender seems determined to get out of the Congolese player's way. On the second, the defender gets all spooked by the step-over dribble and backs too far off. If I saw DCU defenders doing that, I'd want them benched. Defense is still a rare thing in Brazil, I guess.

Posted by: fischy | December 14, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Cool result! Maybe that is an MLS representative in the next few years. One can dream:)

Posted by: I-95Exit43 | December 14, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Exit43? What's that, southern Baltimore lol. I am a big fan of this tournament for some reason and think it should be expanded to include the sudamerica winner and the Europa league winner (superliga? haha)

Posted by: grubbsbl | December 14, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Was expecting a Inter vs Inter match. But good goals. Maybe Africa can redeem itself at this world event.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | December 14, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"Defense is still a rare thing in Brazil, I guess."

Posted by: fischy | December 14, 2010 3:00 PM

Yep, that's why they've only won the World Cup five times and the Copa America eight times. Slackers.

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | December 14, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Haven't seen this match yet but Pachuca were overwhelmed with Mazemba's quickness, speed and strength. You could tell Pachuca weren't used to being pressed as soon as they received the ball, not given space to move the ball around as they pleased, and they did not win many 50-50 balls. Pachuca were not able to play their game so Internactional should have taken note.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | December 14, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

* bounce * bounce * bounce * bounce *

* sprain *

ow.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | December 14, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

HUMPERDINK HUMPERDINK HUMPERDINK!!!

Ohhh, those silly soccer players, what with their hair and their celebrations...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | December 14, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Dear Rafa,
Prepare to get OWNed.
Yours,
Mazembe
P.S. I can't wait to hear what Special One sayeth after Rafa FC gets annihilated by Mazembe:)

Posted by: bigwave | December 14, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I have vague recollections of Mr. Soccer Insider dismissing this team outright last year. I could be wrong though.

Posted by: mizage | December 15, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Need to teach wife of Nine the butt bounce trick.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | December 15, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Why are you too cheap to buy toilet paper?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 15, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Sorry if that crossed a line or stepped over a crack.

Oops, I did it again.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 15, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Exciting to see a different matchup in the FIFA CWC finals. Hope Mazembe doesn't pull a USA in the Confederations Cup...if you get what I mean.

Posted by: T_Walter | December 16, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse