Posted at 12:40 PM ET, 12/16/2010

Weekend soccer TV listings: Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Club World Cup

By Steve Goff

What are you going to watch?
Many matches are available at espn3.com and foxsoccer.tv.
(All times are Eastern)
FRIDAY
Germany, Moenchengladbach-Hamburg 2:30 p.m. ESPN Deportes
SATURDAY
England, Sunderland-Bolton 7:30 a.m. ESPN2, ESPN Deportes
Germany, Eintracht Frankfurt-Dortmund 9:30 a.m. GolTV
England, Arsenal-Stoke 10 a.m. Fox Soccer Channel
England, Birmingham-Newcastle 10 a.m. Fox Soccer Plus
Club World Cup final, Mazembe-Inter Milan noon Fox Deportes (tape at 11 p.m. on FSC)

Spain, Villarreal-Mallorca noon GolTV
Spain, Coruna-Gijon noon ESPN Deportes
Italy, Cesena-Cagliari noon FSP
Spain, Levante-Bilbao noon DirecTV (477)
England, Liverpool-Fulham 12:30 p.m. FSC

Netherlands, Feyenoord-Ajax 6:30 a.m. ESPN Deportes
England, Blackpool-Spurs 8:30 a.m. FSP
Italy, Chievo-Juventus 9 a.m. FSC
Germany, Leverkusen-Freiburg 10:30 a.m. GolTV
England, West Brom-Wolves 10:30 a.m. FSP
England, Chelsea-Manchester United 11 a.m. FSC
Spain, Osasuna-Zaragoza 11 a.m. DirecTV (477)
Spain, Almeria-Getafe 11 a.m. DirecTV (478)
Germany, Stuttgart-Bayern Munich 11:30 a.m. ESPN Deportes
England, Cardiff City-Burnley 12:30 p.m. FSP
Spain, Malaga-Atletico Madrid 1 p.m. GolTV
Italy, Sampdoria-Genoa 2:30 p.m. FSC
Spain, Sevilla-Real Madrid 3 p.m. ESPN2, ESPN Deportes
France, Marseille-Lyon 3 p.m. FSP
Colombia, Once Caldas-Tolima 5:30 p.m. GolTV
MONDAY
England, Manchester City-Everton 3 p.m. ESPN2, ESPN Deportes

By Steve Goff  | December 16, 2010; 12:40 PM ET
Categories:  TV  | Tags:  soccer on TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Inter Milan 3, Seongnam 0
Next: Washington's RFK Stadium will host two quarterfinal matches in 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Comments

I keep getting Internazionale confused with Internacional. Why isn't an MLS team named International?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

United v Chelsea; possibly the FIFA Club World Cup, gotta ask Mrs. grubbsbl if it's okay.

Posted by: grubbsbl | December 16, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Milan v Roma. Mrs grubbsbl also isn't a fan of serie a.

I-270, International de Baltimore? I like it.

Posted by: grubbsbl | December 16, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

'gladbach/Hamburg probably play back on espn3.
Barcelona derby match
Man U/ chelsea

try to catch some of Fulham+Dempsey.
Catch the end of Milan/roma after barcelona game.

Posted by: 1footiefanforever | December 16, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Hah! With CP-Baltimore and Real Maryland, International de Baltimore would make MD the most Eurosnobbish state, giving us something to hold of NY.

How many of use are not rooting for Mazembe?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow, title-holders Atletico crash out in the snow and Adu's team (hehe) advances. Boo.

Juve out, too.

Posted by: Reignking | December 16, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

hold over NY. (Stupid fingres)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Tonight I'll be watching the NCAA women's volleyball semis on BSPN2. People who tune in may encounter a familiar name, albeit attached to an unfamiliar body:

Posted by: universityandpark | December 16, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | December 16, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

hold over NY. (Stupid fingres)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 16, 2010 3:15 PM
________________________________________

It looks as if your fingres [sic] still have a hold over you.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 16, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Apropos of our discussion of football films several days ago, has anyone ever seen Mike Bassett: England Manager? I don't recall it ever being distributed in this country, although it may have popped up at film festivals and such:

The reason I bring this up is a story from the rugby world that I first heard on the CBC program As it Happens last night on WAMU:

Posted by: universityandpark | December 16, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I am not rooting for Mazembe. Sort of.

I love the Club World Cup. So much so that I flew to Japan to see the final in 2006. (Oh, and visit my brother, who lives there. And see Japan. But the game drove my timing.) I look forward to the day when the final will be aired live on FSC, not tape-delayed in favor of a Premiership match. But we're not there yet, and a Mazembe match would be a step backward. Yes, backward.

Europeans and Eurosnobs think Europe is All That. And they're right. That's why only South America was invited to play them for the de facto world championship for decades. That's why Europe and South America still are seeded to the semifinals instead of some kind of group structure.

I was so happy when they finally created a structure that, in theory, allows any club in the world to win the world championship. Yet I knew it had to stay in the exclusive club for a while. If some outsider won, Eurosnobs would just dismiss it as a game the European team didn't take seriously.

Mazembe, Tout Puissant Mazembe, are the first rock to break that glass ceiling keeping the Rest of the World out of the title game. But I believe it'd be too soon; the establishment fans need to get used to the upsets at the semifinal level before they'll be ready for an upset that would give the title to a team from a place like Lubumbashi.

It's sort of like how an oppressed majority can only be given rights at a pace that doesn't freak the priveleged minority out. It's not right, but it's politic.

So my heart is pulling for Mazembe, the team that's representing Africa, Asia, North America and Oceania. But my head wants to see Inter struggle a little, but win.

Posted by: atlemar | December 17, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse