Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 01/13/2011

2011 MLS draft in Baltimore

By Steve Goff

mlscake.jpg
Dessert provided by the famed Charm City Cakes ("Ace of Cakes" on Food Network -- no sign of Duff)

Greetings from the ballroom at Baltimore Convention Center, site of the 2011 Major League Soccer draft. Coverage begins at noon ET on ESPN2 and ESPN3.com. I will provide pick-by-pick updates and trades as they unfold. Your comments are encouraged.

Read my D.C. United draft preview here.

The latest buzz is that Akron midfielder Perry Kitchen will, one way or another, end up with D.C. United. One reliable source tells me he thinks that Kitchen will slip to DCU at No. 3. I am also hearing that Maryland goalkeeper Zac MacMath, the U.S. under-20 national team starter, will be selected higher than expected (top 10). We'll find out soon enough. Columbus Crew General Manager Mark McCullers says he is "cautiously optimistic" that the club will sign veteran forward Jeff Cunningham.

By Steve Goff  | January 13, 2011; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer, D.C. United, MLS  | Tags:  MLS draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crystal Palace Baltimore is being sued by its youth academy coaches for unpaid wages
Next: MLS draft results

Comments

Guesses on the cake flavor?

Posted by: Reignking | January 13, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Kitchen can also play in defense, just prefers midfield, right?

If we grab him, then I would have to imagine that we trade Simms (or Pontius).

Posted by: joe_hill | January 13, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Ben's strategy? Throw in Kitchen and Morsink.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 13, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

DC should build around Kitchen: 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, living room...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 13, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Guesses on the cake flavor?

Posted by: Reignking | January 13, 2011 10:53 AM

chocolate Jabulani swirl?

Posted by: VTUnited | January 13, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@ I-270Exit1

- 1 for the awful pun.

But, since you propose building a house around Kitchen, let's make sure there's a yard big enough for a pitch and around 20,000 neighbors.

Posted by: soccerman | January 13, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I-270, you should save something for the second half. At your current pace you'll be knackered before the draft starts...costing us a sub

Posted by: JkR- | January 13, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I thought Duff moved to LA. My understanding is that's why "Ace of Cakes" was deep-sixed - Food Network is developing something like three new shows involving Duff, just not in Bal'mer.

Posted by: jburksva | January 13, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

@joe_hill,
I'm not sure I see a connection between acquiring Kitchen and trading Pontius. Simms, sure, since he and Kitchen both play the same position. Could you elaborate?

Posted by: sockey1 | January 13, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Perry Kitchen would be a great pick up, but I'm wondering who besides Nagbe will go ahead of him for D.C. to have a shot.

Posted by: ihillvt | January 13, 2011 11:31 AM | Report abuse

In stadium(zzzz) news: The NY Cosmos - you know the club with a team, or some such thing - is in better shape than DCU. From SI:

"SI.com: And for the stadium?
Byrne: [Kemsley] put a lot of money in himself initially, then he has raised privately, through investment and securities, to fund the MLS franchise fee and the stadium. So we're in a very good position as far as that is concerned. Because obviously if you're ambition is to be in the league, you have to have the funding in place to execute it. So we have that.
SI.com: Would debt be a part of that?
Byrne: No.
SI.com: Are you looking for more investors right now?
Byrne: No. Absolutely not."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/grant_wahl/01/12/terry.byrne.cosmos/index.html#ixzz1Avwcn67d

Posted by: nairbsod | January 13, 2011 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Where did all the soccer folks hang out last night? Slainte?

Mr. Goff, did you check out the new Balto United stadium site? Short walk from the Convention Center, no?

Posted by: OWNTF | January 13, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Couple of questions:

* Is Kitchen the kind of franchise player you draft regardless of your positions of need?

* In what scenario will he fall to DC @ #3?

Posted by: tundey | January 13, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

VTUnited: I need more pun.

I was thinking more like Real Salted Caramel frosting...

What does that cake have in common with the Red Bulls?

No trophies.

Posted by: Reignking | January 13, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Ben's strategy? Throw in Kitchen and Morsink.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 13, 2011 11:08 AM

****

That might be a drain on the salary cap.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | January 13, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@sockey1 - there's been a lot of talk about how simms and pontius are on the trading block, and that's been with the assumption that we're going to draft a forward.

we've gotten rid of christman, hernandez, and allsopp, and have a huge need for a forward. if we dont get a top forward in the draft, and add more to a crowded midfield, then i'd assume that we'd trade some of that surplus for another attacking option.

Posted by: joe_hill | January 13, 2011 11:44 AM | Report abuse

VTUnited: I need more pun.

I was thinking more like Real Salted Caramel frosting...

What does that cake have in common with the Red Bulls?

No trophies.

Posted by: Reignking | January 13, 2011 11:40 AM

yeah, i wasnt really please with my effort there...cake jokes are hard

+1 for the Kitchen & Morsink bit, though I wouldnt really want to see that on the field.

Posted by: VTUnited | January 13, 2011 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Kitchen's a great prospect, but does not fill either of our major needs a this point. Trade Simms and something else for him, OK. But we have to take one of these forwards, surely.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | January 13, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Wait, it should be Real icing...

Posted by: Reignking | January 13, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Salgado to Vancouver with the first pick

Posted by: Josh86 | January 13, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Salgado #1, could we get Nagbe?

Posted by: soccerman | January 13, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Never mind...

Posted by: soccerman | January 13, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

yeah, i wasnt really please with my effort there...cake jokes are hard
Posted by: VTUnited
==========

Add a cup of applesauce for moisture.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 13, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

The Black & Red snag Kitchen...will he start on day 1?

Posted by: soccerman | January 13, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse