Posted at 9:56 AM ET, 01/11/2011

D.C. United owner Will Chang reiterates his desire to keep MLS club in Washington

By Steve Goff

D.C. United owner Will Chang reiterated Tuesday his desire to keep the MLS club in Washington, saying: "I don't want to go to Baltimore. Baltimore wants us. ... If I can find a home in D.C., I'd love to stay here."

In his first public comments since the Maryland Stadium Authority released the results of an economic feasibility study concerning a proposed venue in Baltimore, Chang said he is not involved in discussions with Washington officials and developers, leaving the talks to club president Kevin Payne.

Chang spoke at "Scoring Big: The Business of Sports," a forum hosted by The Washington Post that also featured the owners of the Redskins (Daniel Snyder), Wizards/Capitals (Ted Leonsis) and Nationals (Robert Tanenbaum and Marla Lerner Tanenbaum).

On the topic of owner involvement in player acquisitions, Chang said: "I personally don't get involved in player decisions. I think it's a mistake for owners to get involved unless they [have made] a living picking players and choosing players. In my case, I leave that to the professionals, and if they can't do a good job, then it's my responsibility to find someone who can."

Asked when D.C. United will win another championship, Chang declared: "In the next three years."

In team news, United has traded reserve forward Adam Cristman to the Los Angeles Galaxy for a first-round pick in next week's supplemental draft.

More later.....

By Steve Goff  | January 11, 2011; 9:56 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United roster status
Next: D.C. United owner Will Chang cites 'sense of urgency' in pursuit of new stadium

Comments

It's a good thing Chang is leaving the DC stadium search to Payne because, Lord knows, Payne has done such a great job of it so far.

Posted by: mercedeskk | January 11, 2011 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mercedeskk | January 11, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"I don't want to go to Baltimore"??? That's not very nice. Is he doing the John Elway now?

On the other hand, Mr. Chang is in the proper company to learn how to make money even with a crappy team. Government handouts are a great start.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 11, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

If I can find a home in D.C., I'd love to stay here. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: dculoyal | January 11, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dculoyal | January 11, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

forget about the stadium issue, its not important. the important thing he said is this:

"I leave that to the professionals, and if they can't do a good job, then it's my responsibility to find someone who can."

Goff, I sure hope you or someone asked
by just what metrics does he measure what a "good job" is? and when does he do something about it?

Posted by: Section107 | January 11, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Maybe if they stopped putting piss poor product on the field, the crowds would return to help our stadium case. Even my eight month old son knows that our current roster is completely lacking in quality minus a few players.

Posted by: jerrinna | January 11, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

It's a good thing some of the comments here appear twice. That helps me know how serious the posters are.

Seriously, it'd be nice if the Post would fix their blog backend, so that it wouldn't seem to hang on posting and convince people they need to post again.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | January 11, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

A 'Good Job' is when you trade Adam Cristman and get more than a bag of new practice cones....

Posted by: JkR- | January 11, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I have to assume, since Adam Cristmas is gone, that we are looking at Will Bruin with the number 3 pick Thursday?

Posted by: wanker82 | January 11, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

============================================

If you are interested in DCU staying in DC then I would recommend that you consider it priority number one.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | January 11, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Off Topic: Philly Union have signed a jersey sponsorship deal with Mexico-based bakery Bimbo. Bimbo Bakeries USA has its headquarters near Philly. Popular brands include Entenmann's pastries, Stroehmann bread, Old Country bread, Boboli pizza crust, and Thomas' English muffins.

Posted by: Pedalada | January 11, 2011 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Reading the interview/discussion makes it appear Chang knows what he is doing and is on top of his game but the actual situation United is in reveals Chang has had a veil pulled over his head. Chang, we are a stagnating club living off past successes; we need a slew of new faces in the front office to rebuild an average roster. Oh and someone with the political savvy to get a stadium deal done.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 11, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Tastycake is better than all of them.

Posted by: Reignking | January 11, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Re: @JkR- "A 'Good Job' is when you trade Adam Cristman and get more than a bag of new practice cones"

You are correct.

Re: @ReignKing "Tastycake is better than all of them."

You are correct-er.

Anything in exchange for Christman is a bonus. After the supplemental draft, I will immediately begin rooting for whomever DCU selects with the Christman pick.

Posted by: DWE4 | January 11, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

With our #3 pick, we should get John Rooney, Joao Plata or Corey Hertzog. DO NOT GET Will Bruin. He is Adam Christman v2.0 + little more athleticism (young Danny Allsopp).

Posted by: Charisma_Man | January 11, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Bimbo? Seriously? Are the Union like Chivas Philly de Sur now? Jeez.

Reignking is right (again). Sucks that Tastykake is in no position to put up any dough.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 11, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg is also covering (as he writes, "we're desperate for content") and he reports on discussion with Danny Boy about a Skins game stadium or practice facility in DC . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | January 11, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"In soccer, Bimbo is known and respected, its logo already fronting the jerseys of four teams, including Chivas de Guadalajara, the most successful and popular team in Mexico. Bimbo sponsors two other teams in Primera Division, the top Mexican league, along with Deportivo Saprissa in Costa Rica.

The Union will wear the same red, white, and blue Bimbo logo as those clubs."

Heh.

I guess it was either going to be Bimbo on their chests or something less marketable. Like a rattlesnake.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 11, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse

From the link - "This year, Bimbo will run a nationwide Soccer Mom of the Year" contest, with the winner earning a trip to the Cup game."

The finalists for the Bimbo Soccer Mom of the Year are Pam Anderson, Britney Spears, whichever Kardashian sister has a child, and Hef's erstwhile girlfriend Kendra.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 11, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

As priority number one can be considered a stadium. I do feel DC United needs to win another championship. It needs to capitalize on the title drought of the cities teams and establish the fact that it can win championships. It needs to show this city that its a valuable asset to the city. If it continues to lose it will be shrugged off by the city and its population. We all know very well that this is redskins country. And I know for a fact that when people complain about the skins, they always say at least we have the "caps" disregarding the fact that DC United has the most silverware out of pro teams. United needs to get itself into the position not knocking out the caps but to be in the vocabulary of the city. That way we can have more support and push the case that we should remain in the city or area.
Hope this makes sense.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 11, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Bimbo in the US? Really? I always snickered at that sponsorship name plastered across the chests of macho Mexican men.

I'd be surprised if they use the Bimbo name on the jerseys here given what it means in American English. And anyway, Entenmans and Thomas's English Muffins are well known brands that would make more sense to market here. If someone asked me where to buy those products, I'd be able to tell them; if they asked me where to buy a Bimbo, I'd say they're only for rent around here, but you can buy them in Mexico.

Posted by: WorldCup | January 11, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd be surprised if they use the Bimbo name on the jerseys here given what it means in American English. And anyway, Entenmans and Thomas' English Muffins are well known brands that would make more sense to market here. If someone asked me where to buy those products, I'd be able to tell them; if they asked me where to buy a Bimbo, I'd say they're only for rent around here, but you can buy them in Mexico.

Posted by: WorldCup | January 11, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Sorry for for the the double double posting posting..

Posted by: WorldCup | January 11, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

As a Baltimore resident, a DCU supporter since day 1, and someone who wants the team stay in the District as "Plan A," I'm still not feeling too much love toward the "I don't want to go to Baltimore. Baltimore wants us" comment. This is one of the few avenues that can keep the team anywhere close to DC -- the District options do not sound very concrete based on his comments. I get the importance of making comments that play to the base in DC, but there are more diplomatic ways of saying he is focused on a DC solution first and foremost.

Posted by: FellsPointMD | January 11, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Yo, I think Kendra actually did play some soccer. She certainly has the bod for it. I'd refrain from calling her a Bimbo, but butter face?
Perhaps. ;)

Also+1 for JkR's assessment of the Cristman trade.
Thanks for the service Adam! You worked hard when you were out there. Enjoy the primo weather in Cali bro. Aloha!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 11, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mercedeskk | January 11, 2011 10:04 AM
----------------

Oooooooooh, it'd be funny if it wasn't so true. Not to mention the quality job Payne has done in player acquisition in the past few years.

Posted by: DixonTheDog | January 11, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

¨In my case, I leave that to the professionals, and if they can't do a good job, then it's my responsibility to find someone who can."

Is this an early April´s fools quote?

Posted by: redskinsux | January 11, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

If Chang says he was not involved in choosing players, I believe him, and I therefore retract my criticisms of him which assumned he was, in fact so involved.

Posted by: Ron16 | January 11, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Yikes. The writing is on the wall now, Barra Brava Bal'mer and Screaming Sea Gulls.....

Posted by: lovinliberty | January 11, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

No offense Marylanderz, but Buck Faltimore.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 11, 2011 6:59 PM | Report abuse

First, trading Cristman's rights does NOT mean we're picking Bruin. One, we have Abe Thompson if we want a big banger. Two, we couldn't sign Cristman to a contract we thought was good. Plus, Bruin is over-rated. We are not going to draft a forward who can contribute significantly in 2011. Maybe we get someone like Salgado who can contribute a lot in the future. Maybe we get someone who will be a sub. But our frontline isn't good enough for a rookie to come in and not be overwhelmed. It's not like being paired with a younger Moreno (who will provide good service and attract all the attention.

Second, if you're LAG, what does it mean that with Bowen and Buddle gone you add...Cristman? Granted, I'm sure he's projected to be a reserve but..still...that's not much of an addition.

Posted by: JoeW1 | January 11, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan... that's charming.

I think we all know it is the front office that has "bucked up" on this over the last 10 years. So let's all keep the focus on Payne and Chang to do the right thing, find the dough or an investor, learn how to work the political landscape in DC for once, and get something built in the District. Keep in mind, we all support the same team and there ARE fans east of the Beltway believe it or not. I understand and appreciate the frustration, I really do. But the Baltimore bashing on this board can get pretty "bucking" old. You could at least be a little more subtle and say something like "Eromitlab Kcuf " ... I guess that's more of a Bigsoccer thing though ;-)

Posted by: FellsPointMD | January 11, 2011 9:11 PM | Report abuse

If you want metro, then put it near Glenmont or Greenbelt. Or maybe in or around College Park--you could even share it with the Terps soccer team for some games. Otherwise build it up towards Laurel or even Columbia. Close to 95 and taking advantage of the ICC.

Posted by: adamsmorgan | January 11, 2011 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I have pointed out countless times that people from Philly usually have a foul odor hence the their team is PU. Now they will have BIMBO on their jersey!!!

Perfect...I shall call them the STINKIN BIMBOS!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 12, 2011 8:21 AM | Report abuse

And don't get me started about Faltimore...

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 12, 2011 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I love Baltimore is much as the next guy. I really do. I just don't want DC United moved there. I get why folks who would benefit from the move getting excited about it, but it's hard to differentiate between folks who get off on imaging the broken hearts that would be suffered by many current fans, and folks who are just tired of all the Zzzzzzzzzz's. Since you bring up Big Soccer, you must be aware of the jack holes on there who use DCU's troubles to twist the dagger so to speak.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 12, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

=========

Will the Philadelphia Independence also be Bimbo-sponsored?

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | January 12, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I think it's interesting that we traded Cristman for a spot in the re-entry draft. We've already got a spot (I assuming we're picking first). Getting LAG's spot implies we have a player we're interested in in addition to who we're looking at with our own re-entry draft selection. Otherwise, why do the deal? You'd just trade him for a 2013 4th round pick. But instead we went for the re-entry draft selection. Hmmm....intriguing.

Posted by: JoeW1 | January 12, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I wish Will Chang was interested in the FREEDOM!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | January 12, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse