Posted at 8:00 AM ET, 01/10/2011

D.C. United roster status

By Steve Goff

With three days until the MLS draft and 10 until players begin reporting to RFK Stadium for the start of a two-month training camp, D.C. United's roster is coming together yet still lacking a major international acquisition, which could come anytime. United has the No. 3 and No. 31 overall picks in Thursday's draft in Baltimore (noon ET, ESPN2) and will invite several free agents and undrafted college players to camp for trials in order to fill slots on the expanded roster (from 24 to 30). Here are where things stand:

GOALKEEPERS
Returning: Bill Hamid.
In: Steve Cronin (trade with Portland).
Out: Troy Perkins (traded to Portland).

DEFENDERS
Returning: Dejan Jakovic, Jed Zayner, Marc Burch, Julius James, Devon McTavish.
Out: Rodney Wallace (traded to Portland), Jordan Graye (expansion draft by Portland), Juan Manuel Pena (out of league).
In: Ethan White (homegrown signing), Daniel Woolard (free agent).
Likely: Rodrigo Brasesco (probable loan from Uruguay's Racing).
Maybe: Barry Rice (invited to training camp).

UPDATE: Brasesco's acquisition was officially announced today.

MIDFIELDERS
Returning: Branko Boskovic, Clyde Simms, Andy Najar, Santino Quaranta, Kurt Morsink, Stephen King, Junior Carreiro, Conor Shanosky.
In: Dax McCarty (trade with Portland).
Maybe: Brandon Barklage (invited to training camp).
Unlikely: Carlos Varela (not expected to be re-signed).

FORWARDS
Returning: Chris Pontius.
In: Joseph Ngwenya (re-entry draft from Houston), Josh Wolff (re-entry draft from Kansas City).
Out: Jaime Moreno (club decision), Danny Allsopp (contract terminated), Pablo Hernandez (contract terminated).
Maybe: Adam Cristman (in contract talks).

By Steve Goff  | January 10, 2011; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: American soccer players abroad: Jonathan Spector scores in FA Cup for West Ham vs. Barnsley
Next: D.C. United owner Will Chang reiterates his desire to keep MLS club in Washington

Comments

So depending on how the contract talks go and the camp invitees look, DCU has about 25 players locked in. The midfield is pretty well filled and the defense, while not where we may want it, is close to full. Let's hope that Brasesco works out and Ethen White can contribute right away.

At the draft on Thursday, does the front office go attacker or defender? By the looks of the roster posted above, we should go attacker if Will Bruin or Nagbe can be taken. There are a few good defenders in the top five like Kitchen so I guess it depends who Vancouver and Portland take.

Does anyone believe that the Front Office will go out and get an impact forward? We can certainly use one and the roster is light up top but I'm not holding by breath.

68 more days till first kick at RFK.

Posted by: tcbannon | January 10, 2011 8:41 AM | Report abuse

We Need Defenders.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 10, 2011 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Abe Thompson has been added to the preseason roster. He is 29 has played for many MLS clubs (FCD, Houston, RSL. KC) and last season with Miami and had 8 goals. Good luck to a hometown guy from WT Woodson HS & UMD Terps!

Posted by: euroman | January 10, 2011 8:52 AM | Report abuse

we need somebody to score goals

Posted by: fedssocr | January 10, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

"still lacking a major international acquisition, which could come anytime."

--well, in the sense that Chang could find a major investment partner at any time, or the club could arrange a stadium deal at any time, right? Neither of which seems too likely? Unless we mean that Brasesco is the major signing.

I'm glad Simms is back. The trade noise about him and Pontius is officially over?

I hope McCarty can make an impact right away.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | January 10, 2011 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Someone remind me - where does Dax fit best in the midfield? And with the current roster, does a 4-5-1 (or more specifically a 4-2-3-1) look imminent?

Posted by: eadc | January 10, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

We Need Defenders.
Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 10, 2011 8:43 AM
==========
we need somebody to score goals
Posted by: fedssocr | January 10, 2011 9:01 AM
==========

Let's hope we don't get the compromise, a defender who scores own goals.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 10, 2011 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope we don't get the compromise, a defender who scores own goals.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 10, 2011 9:33 AM |
==============
Well, the club is all about "tradition" after all...

Posted by: fedssocr | January 10, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Assuming $$ are an issue here (and it is clear they are), then use the draft to pick up forwards and team speed; defenders are alot easier to find. I would consider trading Morsink & King for a couple more draft picks as well.

Posted by: jnel | January 10, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

My new year's resolution is to forget 2010 and get enthused about DC UNITED all over again for 2011 :)

Just looking at the midfield - it feels deeper than last year at least, but it still looks a little lacking in creativity to me. Who's the starting 4? Branco, Dax, Najar and Quaranta? Or do you have to go with a 4-5-1 to get both Simms and Dax on the field at the same time?

Posted by: robb10 | January 10, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Will Bruin is over-rated. Sure the guy has the size and athletic ability for MLS, but so does Adam Cristman and Danny Allsopp. Bruin cannot create chances nor dribble to create space for himself. With the players we already have, Bruin is not going to improve the squad.

Joao Plata looked pretty explosive in that first combine game; every time he got the ball in the box, he was unpredictable and you knew he was going to have an impact. Reminded me of Milton Tyson Nunez.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | January 10, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I would consider trading Morsink & King for a couple more draft picks as well.

----------

That's a good point. There could be a draft day (or post draft) trade involving pretty much any of our players.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Simms or Pontius moved for a high pick or some combination of forward / low pick.

You never know with these wacking draft days!

Posted by: SoccerVA | January 10, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

sorry, should have been *wacky* ;-)

Posted by: SoccerVA | January 10, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

We should draft an attacker in the first round (Bruin would be my choice) and then follow-up with a defender, plus look to trades for defensive help. We need a permanent right back.

Posted by: soccerman | January 10, 2011 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Does DC United have MLS rights to Joseph Gyau?

Posted by: OWNTF | January 10, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

That roster looks ripe for a 4-6-0.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | January 10, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

we need help all over the field. I think the midfield is the only place where we are somewhat solid. Bosco is still a question there, so "solid" is a relative term.

And Sims is, in my mind, trade bait. Personally, I would prefer him to Dax, but obviously our coaching staff feels differently. If Simms stays, I see us playing a 4-5-1. Which might not be a bad thing, given our defensive woes. We won't score many goals, but then we weren't going to do that anyway.

Which brings us to the other two thirds of our roster. Our defensive and striking corps are in shambles. We will not score. And we will not keep the other team from scoring. Hard to win when you go into a season with that hanging over your head.

Our keeper situation is only marginally better. Bringing back Cronin wasn't a bad move. I felt pretty good about him when he was with us 2 years ago. But between him and Hamid, you can't say we have that one reliable guy. Certainly some unproven commodities. NOT the way you want to start a season between the pipes.

At the end of the day I'm begging ownership to sell the team. It's not working. Direction from the very top is lacking.

Posted by: Matte | January 10, 2011 10:48 AM | Report abuse

with the lack of depth in defense, I think Simms's versatility and ability to provide cover in the back makes him even more valuable to the club. I would be pretty dissapointed to see him moved for an unproven draft pick.

Posted by: VTUnited | January 10, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Abe Thompson has been added to the preseason roster.

Posted by: euroman | January 10, 2011 8:52 AM
==================

About bloody time.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 10, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow, other than a couple of players, what a sorry bunch of scrubs this roster has degenerated into.

Posted by: Ron16 | January 10, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Sell the team, that's a good one. Who in their right mind would buy it?

Posted by: OWNTF | January 10, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Charisma_Man | January 10, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse
___________________________________________
Good catch. I just went back and read the player comments from Saturday. Plata does sound interesting and Bruin didn't show well so far. I'm interested in seeing how they look today.

Posted by: tcbannon | January 10, 2011 11:34 AM | Report abuse

in defense of our defense they played OK in the center when Jakovic and James were together. Our issue was outside back and the fact that our inept strikers were no threat to anyone which allowed the opposition to attack without consequences. Add in a lack of defensive urgency on the part of most of the midfield and we ended up giving away goals.

As far as I am concerned Graye was a major culprit. With his departure the defense will have to improve.

I am way more concerned about our lack of attack than I am about the defense at this point. Najar can't make all of the goals by himself.

Posted by: fedssocr | January 10, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Defense needs work, but I have 2 words! ARIEL ORTEGA

Posted by: MeeSoZorny | January 10, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Defense needs work, but I have 2 words! ARIEL ORTEGA

Posted by: MeeSoZorny | January 10, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@OWNTF,

The rising tide of MLS makes all boats float. United might be a bargain to potential investors, even if that means the team moves. And I can't imagine Will Chang being too insistent with a potential buyer that the team remain in DC or even Baltimore.

Posted by: benonthehill | January 10, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Ugh. Looks like we only have 2-3 guys who would even sit on the bench for any other team in the league let alone start.
Not surprising considering our front office; repeat of last season in the offing. Poor Ben.

Posted by: grognard66 | January 10, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Christ, Burch is still our left back. That's about all I draw from this.

Oh, and McCarty isn't a destroyer, he just isn't, so people Please stop talking about him taking Simms position.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | January 10, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Namoff is still on the roster, I believe. I don't think I'd classify him as "Out" just yet, based on reporting I've come across here. "Maybe" would probably be the best place to put him. But, given his significance to the team, I think he should have been addressed somehow in this piece (even if it is just as being definitely "Out").

Just a quibble, though. Very much appreciate the quality & depth of local soccer coverage to be found here.

Posted by: TestudoTheFearsome | January 10, 2011 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Don't get your hopes up about Abe Thompson. He never made it out of training camp last year for RSL because of fitness issues. He will remind DC historians of Brian Bates, nicknamed "Whopper."

Posted by: lgm6986 | January 10, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Has everyone forgotten about McT's prowness in front of the net? Leading scorer for DCU in the 2008 CCC. Put him up front, I'm only half kidding looking at our line-up.

Posted by: boda-united | January 10, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Sell the team, that's a good one. Who in their right mind would buy it?

Posted by: OWNTF | January 10, 2011 11:26 AM

---

I would. Why not?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 10, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

We Need Defenders.
Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 10, 2011 8:43 AM
==========
we need somebody to score goals
Posted by: fedssocr | January 10, 2011 9:01 AM
==========

Let's hope we don't get the compromise, a defender who scores own goals.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 10, 2011 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope we don't get the compromise, a defender who scores own goals.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 10, 2011 9:33 AM |
==============
Well, the club is all about "tradition" after all...

***************************

Dang it, that whole thing just made me laugh AND spit coffee on my business attire.

Posted by: DCB23 | January 10, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: point taken. MLS clubs are certainly not hot commodities.

@UnitedDemon1: neither Simms nor Dax are "destroyers". But both play holding mid. Hence the question, do we play 4-5-1 with Simms and Dax on the pitch, or do we leave a starting quality holding mid on the bench, or do we trade Simms?

Posted by: Matte | January 10, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Sell the team, that's a good one. Who in their right mind would buy it?

Posted by: OWNTF | January 10, 2011 11:26 AM

---

I would. Why not?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 10, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

==========================

Well, let's start with, (1) they lose money and they always have, and until they have a stadium they always will (2) even if you had the money to flush down the toilet, and you were in it for a vanity play, they suck.

There's probably a third reason that I'm blanking on right now.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 10, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | January 10, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm snowed in, so I'll watch the FIFA awards...

Posted by: Reignking | January 10, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Someone go get Sneider a tie...

Posted by: Reignking | January 10, 2011 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I think if it's a question between Simms or Dax, I think Dax wins in Ben's mind. While Simms has been our Iron Man for a while, he has never been the vocal leader that they've always wished he was. This reason alone is where I think Dax surpasses Clyde on the depth sheet.

Ben has been getting rid of complainers, softees, and potentially on draft day the quiet types... Olsen wants fighters, and grit. If anyone knows what it should mean to pull on the black and red it's Benny and I don't think he wants dudes who are not willing to put it ALL on the line.
Why do you think Morsink has be resigned?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 10, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

That's understood. I've been following the ups and downs of DCU for a few years. There's a challenge there, but I don't think it is as insurmountable as one might think. I'd say this though -- no Baltimore.

See, that's just it. There's an opportunity to be had there. DCU doesn't have to suck. Once upon a time, they won trophies. To me DCU is still one of the great teams of MLS, and to take on the challenge of restoring the Red and Black to its normal place of glory would be interesting and fun, I think!

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 10, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lgm6986 | January 10, 2011 12:21 PM
====================================

I find that unlikely. If memory serves, Thompson ran a mile not too far off of 4 minutes. He always had a high work rate, for club and country (U17s).

I'm just thankful, lgm, that you offered a Kasper-rant-free post.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 10, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Warhawks!

Posted by: OWNTF | January 10, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"still lacking a major international acquisition"

Actually, we had four major international signings last year (at least in terms of MLS dollars) including a DP. How'd that work out?

The last thing we need is to repeat last year's fiasco of going down the route of "major" international signings. We are not suddenly going to "get it right" and sign a person who will turn the team around. Our track record with international signings is horrible. We need to turn the team around first, and then bring in the one international signing who could put us over the top and allow us to win in this league.

I hope Ben's vision of a developing a hard-working team that plays for each other selflessly, bringing along a couple more homegrown talents, improving the quality of our drafting, and finding a way to bring in and give life to people other teams have tossed aside becomes the formula for creating the core of a team that one "major international signing" can turn around.

To paraphrase Rich Pitino, "El Diablo, Jaime Moreno, and Raul Diaz Arce aren't walking through that door."

Posted by: rcdwriting | January 10, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Rand-al-Thor:

Be patient; it's still early.

Posted by: lgm6986 | January 10, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@matte, I'm curious to know what your definition of destroyer is. Mine is a defensive midfielder who sits behind a more forward thinking central player, rarely if ever goes forward, makes simple passes, and protects his defense for 90 minutes. That's Simms to a tee. If you think he's bad at his job, great. But if Boskovic plays centrally, we're going to need someone who only plays defense to make up for his inept tackling.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | January 10, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

My definition is Conan, or sometimes Shiva, depending on whether my son is acting like an elephant.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 10, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

UKnitedDemon1. You can't afford to have midfielders in MLS who are one dimensional. a 'defensive' midfielder still must be able to start the offense. Sims is 'Mr. Backpass' and McCarty has shown that he can start the offense which should allow Bosovic (or whoever is the other center mid) a bit more space. You may have noticed last year that nobody ever marked Sisms tightly because he was never a threat to attack.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | January 10, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Major Int'l Signing?

The Rapids won MLS Cup with zero marquee players . . . okay so Omar Cummings is highly underrated, but also not what I'd see as a "major int'l."

Not to mention, their Cup finals opponent, Dallas, wasn't littered with big names either.

The two teams with big names, both petered out NYRB, LAG

Posted by: delantero | January 10, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Tom Petty.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 10, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen much mention of Salgado as an option at #3. I know he's young and may need time to develop, but why no love for him here recently? Is it a lock that he'll be gone by #3?

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | January 10, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I just read that Rodrigo Brasesco has been signed by DCU, but I have not seen any confirmation on any other sources.

Posted by: no_recess | January 10, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

DCUnited and Steve Goff have confirmed Brasesco is signed. No other sources needed.

Posted by: JkR- | January 10, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Good signing.

Posted by: adamsmorgan | January 10, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Messi gets a nice golden ball and Marta gets something that looks like a greeting card. Come on already FIFA! Give the women a trophy equal in stature to the men's. Besides, look at the picture, Marta could beat the crap out of Messi and take his trophy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 10, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

The Golden ball is doofy-looking, just slightkly less ugly than the old MLS "Rothenburg Trophy". Marta's looks cooler.

Posted by: Ron16 | January 10, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

In 2004-07, our main concern was "how do we build a team to succeed in international tournaments", not "how do we build to maintain long-term success in MLS". That led to our obsession with South American imports who were so often flops in MLS. I think that's part of the root of this current problem (along with other obvious reasons such as stadium, ownership, etc)

Posted by: carmines757 | January 10, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Buddle to the German 2nd division? really?

Posted by: VTUnited | January 10, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I have to say I like most of Ben's recent signings/moves as follows,

Great
Dax Marcarty - terrific player last year for Dallas
Joe Ngwenya - underrated excellent pick for the money

Not Bad
Cronin - I think this is a good pickup and for a lot less money than Perkins.

Oh No
Wolff - I watched him last year in KC and he is just not the player he was anymore than Jaime.

Need more info
Brasesco - but I'm liking the first impression

United still needs a first rate forward or 2. And another strong Centerback.

I would still cut loose/trade, Simms, Morstink and Quaranta.

Posted by: dcufan531 | January 10, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Simms trade talk is foolish IMHO...

Posted by: JkR- | January 10, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@ JkR

Simms is a fine player but is he worth the 170K anymore? He had an injury plagued season last year and he doesn't have much of an offensive game. Perhaps Olsen can coach him up? Maybe they move him to centerback full time? I just think there are a lot of guys that can do what Simms does, but for less money.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | January 10, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Bashing Brian Bates? Now you've gone too far!

Posted by: Reignking | January 10, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I think most people are doubting the skill level required in being a Simms type player. Reading the game in the midfield is not easy, especially at the defensively level, nor (unless your Man City) is finding players tactically disciplined enough to sit deep and break up play. Top teams always have them and are always looking for those types of players. We need someone in there to make the simply but consistent 10 yard passes to keep possession flowing and to provide an outlet when things are clogged forward. Additionally, I believe United could succeed in a 4-3-3 with Dax, Simms, and Bosko playing the 3. What this team really needs is a dangerous left winger and a striker (not sold on Pontius or Quaranta).

Let's just all remember the void B. Carrol left when he went to Columbus. Or, for history buffs, the void Makalalee left in Madrid's mid when he went to Chelsea in the early 2000's. Simple passes, while not the fans favorite, are always required; what would Barcalona be without Busquets?

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 10, 2011 5:55 PM | Report abuse

It's curious to see how some of these players are used. For instance, Boskovic may play a left mid for his country but that's b/c of the players they have--for us he's a central mid. So does that mean we play with 5 in midfield? Or who's the D-mid? I agree that as much as I like McCarty, he's not really a D-mid (unless with play with 2 central mids with defensive roles ala the NT with Bradley) in which case maybe McCarty is a fit. Or is it a movement away from the standard 442 to maybe a 4-2-3-1? Which makes sense if we get the right "1" (ie: he's nowhere on the roster now).

I think that there are a bunch of players who's roles may change substantially. Simms could play on the backline. I'm just guessing that Pontius will be a forward. Wolff has played a bunch of roles. Brasesco--is he a right back or a center back (I hope the latter--we've got a couple of right back candidates).

Abe Thompson--I like that signing. First, I think it says that we're giving up on signing Cristman b/c the two have similar games. Second, I like the idea of a team actually having players who have roots in the area BEFORE they became professional, it (in a modest way) helps makes us more "DC" than just the fan base and where we play our games. Plus, at his best, he was a good "off-the-bench" attacker at the end of games. Not the fastest or most skilled guy around but he always impressed me as a good guy to bring in when you're pushing forward late in the game and want a body who can bang and knock in rebounds in the box.

Posted by: JoeW1 | January 10, 2011 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Anyone going to this thing?

Posted by: DadRyan
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Me not going but if anybody goes PLEASE ask Ted Leonsis to buy United. And while you're at it, tell Dan Snyder to sell the Redskins...and not to but United!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 10, 2011 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Ethan Whits might be the rookie of the year is an absolute beast.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | January 10, 2011 7:29 PM | Report abuse

75 bucks to hear franchise owners talk about how they don't win championships. No thanks.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 10, 2011 8:12 PM | Report abuse

68 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 10, 2011 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Is there any confirmation that Abe Thompson has been acquired? I just googled his name and the only recent news item was this blog thread...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 10, 2011 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of Simms and McTavish...They are garbage...

Posted by: alan19 | January 11, 2011 12:21 AM | Report abuse

@JkR

I didn't see Goff's update until today.

Posted by: no_recess | January 11, 2011 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Get rid of Simms...garbage...

Posted by: alan19 | January 11, 2011 12:21 AM | Report abuse

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's way harsh!!!

Simms is a legend on the level of Jeff Agoos, Raul Diaz Arce, Carlos Llamosa, Ryan Nelson, Tony Senneh and Richie Williams.

If the above players are GARBAGE then Marco Etcheverry, John Harkes, Ben Olson, Eddie Pope and Jaime Morino belong in the recyclable bin which goes out on GARBAGE DAY!!!

Simms is a DC United legend and has earned far more respect than being called garbage!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 11, 2011 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Clyde is a nice guy, but not at the same level as the other players listed.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | January 11, 2011 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JoeW1 | January 10, 2011 6:05 PM

Well, Adam Cristman was actually born in DC (proper), grew up just north of Richmond, and played for UVa. So, I think he has nearly as many roots in the "area" as Thompson. Of course, going to HS in Fairfax and college in College Park are closer than Richmond and C'Ville...but it's not as significant of a distinction as you think.

Posted by: combedge | January 11, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JoeW1 | January 10, 2011 6:05 PM

Posted by: combedge | January 11, 2011 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Oops. First, the double-post. Then, as I was posting, DC United announced that it has traded Cristman to the Galaxy for their first pick in the supplemental draft.

Anyone know who comprises the pool of the supplemental draft?

Posted by: combedge | January 11, 2011 9:46 AM | Report abuse

@UnitedDemon1: I think a destroyer is a variation of the holding mid position. A guy who is a harsh tackler and makes the pitch for mainly that quality. Mascherano or DeJong, for instance. Simms and Dax are both holding mids, but (in my mind) they don't lay enough wood to bear the tag "destroyer".

I think Dax plays forward more than Simms, but see grubbsbl's analysis. I personally think playing backwards isn't all that bad. In fact, it's good. You see it all the time when you watch Barca play. Granted, we don't have the skill on our defensive line to always be able to handle a backpass, but I still think you want to expect them to play the right way.

@grubbsbl: you are my new hero.

Posted by: Matte | January 11, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

If Simms is a legend, then MLS is really as bad as many say...He has no first touch, he always is hurt, and gives up a lot of big plays. Plus he is slow as molasses! I would dump him while we can still get something for him...If this is the best defensive mid-fielder we can find, then we really are lost as a franchise...

Posted by: alan19 | January 11, 2011 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Still wondering whether the team has added Thompson. Trading Cristman to LA fits in with that move as they are somewhat similar.

Combedge, the Supplemental Draft is really just another 3 rounds to be added to the 3 rounds of the SuperDraft. It will take place a week later and be done via conference call. It's the same pool of remaining players although technically it's possible MLS could add a player or two to the pool in the intervening week.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 11, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

i imagine we'll see Najar playing up top before the end of the season. That allows for a 4-4-2 that fields McCarty, Simms, Quaranta, and Boskovic in midfield. Everyone is happy. We'll even maybe score some excess goals if Pontius can stay healthy too.

Posted by: Egadman | January 11, 2011 5:56 PM | Report abuse

They need a striker bad. maybe Brasesco is an opening to Uruguay. They have some talent there as they showed at the world cup.

Posted by: joeortega4 | January 11, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse