Posted at 3:48 PM ET, 01/16/2011

D.C. United stadium update: Washington's Buzzards Point and Capital City Market under consideration

By Steve Goff

From Jonathan O'Connell at The Washington Post's Capital Business supplement, two sites in Washington have been identified as potential locations for a proposed D.C. United stadium.

Buzzards Point is in Southwest, near Nationals Park. Capital City Market is in Northeast, near the intersection of New York and Florida avenues.

These developments come amid Baltimore's overtures to attract the club with a new stadium in the Westport neighborhood near Interstate 95 and Camden Yards.

By Steve Goff  | January 16, 2011; 3:48 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: American soccer players abroad
Next: Poll: Does CONCACAF deserve a fourth guaranteed berth in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil?

Comments

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Pete803 | January 16, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

you darn woodchucks quit chucking my wood...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 16, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Forget DC, the United should move to Baltimore.

Posted by: ams1986 | January 16, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update Goff. Nice to see a little something in the wake of the little pow wow y'all had at the WaPo last week.
Either location would be fantastic in my opinion. Guessing that displacing the Capitol Market's tenant's would be a pain, but they worked it out for the better around Nat's Park.

I like Buzzard's point though. I've picked up sand and rock down there for a patio project a while back and it is a bit of a wasteland but the metro access would be awesome!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 16, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

ams1986, are you the PowerBoater's boyfriend? lol.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 16, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

A Streetcar Named United.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 16, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

F@#k Baltimore! If United leaves DC they are no longer my team.

Posted by: bbachrac | January 16, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

As a neighbor to the Wholesale markets, I'd love DCU to move nearby. That said, I already anticipate my hood's listserv catching wind of this article and freaking out about displacing those stores. It will be met with a lot of resistance.

Posted by: lord_dorpaldonger | January 16, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Capital City Market... I wonder what Gallaudet will think of that.

Posted by: B_A_ | January 16, 2011 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Both places are nice, I'll be excited when some shovels hit the ground.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 16, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Capital City Market... I wonder what Gallaudet will think of that.

Posted by: B_A_

Maybe if they are really quiet about it, they'll never notice?
;)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 16, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Not really sure how you could fit a stadium in Buzzards Point to be honest. According to Google, the site is only 420' wide. Just for reference, BMO Stadium is ~170 meters wide, approximately 544'.

Posted by: strago | January 16, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

What are you calling "the site," strago? I see nothing telling us where in that area the stadium might go. I doubt it would have to be shoehorned in between existing streets.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 16, 2011 5:07 PM | Report abuse

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Pete80
----------------------

I know that's the go to response to all things stadium-related, but this is somewhat significant. It's been ages since we heard anything about specific sites that DCU was looking at.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 16, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Buzzards Point sounds good - that may scare the RFK rats and racoons and other beasties and keep them from joining the team...

Posted by: 22206no1 | January 16, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Both locations rock and have metro access. I'd prefer cap city maket as it's closer to the U Street action.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | January 16, 2011 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Sweet, lets make it happen.

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | January 16, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

PrinceBuster,

The article shows the exact location of the site...

Posted by: strago | January 16, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

PrinceBuster,

The article shows the exact location of the site...

Posted by: strago
-----------------

You're right. My bad.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 16, 2011 6:41 PM | Report abuse

@strago,

You're probably right that one city block width is too tight, but I'm not sure the parameters in the article mean other land acquisition is out of the question. It's been a while since I've ridden by that industrial complex down there between Half and 1st so I don't remember what it all is, but it's not hard to imagine that a stadium wouldn't involve other retail/residential development between it and Natinals Park.

Posted by: benonthehill | January 16, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Contrary to some opinions, people at Gallaudet can read! :)

As an alumnus of Gallaudet University and semi-active member of the community, I know that Gallaudet is actively interested in the development of the Capital City Market as a part to be more involved in the community mainly the surrounding areas. External and internal circumstances forced us to build tall fences creating a physical sense of isolation from the community. With the introduction of New York Avenue metro and the transformation of the H street corridor among other changes, the Atlas District, as some call the area, has become safer and more lucrative attracting the developers' eyes. There have been discussions about redeveloping Capital City Market for several years even to the point where they were ready to evict existing tenants, but with the recent recession, developers have not moved forward on any plan. I am not an employee of Gallaudet, but I am on a committee for a project that has an active interest in the Capital City Market so I am familiar with some of the discussions.

As a DC United fan, I would be thrilled if a new stadium was right next to Gallaudet. As a Gallaudet alumnus, I do not think it would be in the best interest of the students mainly and the neighborhood given what would possibly be sacrificed to build the stadium.

Posted by: HobbesLionheart | January 16, 2011 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mbyrd28 | January 16, 2011 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 16, 2011 6:59 PM | Report abuse

@Hobbes, I understand your worry but I would imagine any stadium would have to fit the mold of both the Verizon Center and Nationals Park. Both of those stadiums were built relatively compact and have been built in ways to encourage growth within the area. I am not sure what major plans of redevelopment would be threatened by a stadium, particularly one that would probably be in the 20-25k range.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 16, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Both places are nice, I'll be excited when some shovels hit the ground.
Posted by: grubbsbl | January 16, 2011 4:36 PM
========

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 16, 2011 7:09 PM | Report abuse

"So your sayin theres a chance."

Posted by: jjfooty | January 16, 2011 7:17 PM | Report abuse

"So your sayin theres a chance."

Posted by: jjfooty | January 16, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone selling or craving food, drink, or retail would be silly to oppose the opportunity to bring in 15-20k potential customers 25-30 times a year.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | January 16, 2011 7:46 PM | Report abuse

While either site would be great, I would personally prefer the Florida Market site. The proximity to H Street (and its coming streetcar line), the NY Ave Metro and U Street would really make a great anchor for the neighborhood. Add in college and high school matches and it would get a fair amount of use.

A good design would include retail that is neighborhood serving during off-periods, with the stadium itself surrounded on all side by street activity. The field itself should be in the interior of the city block.

I think this would do more to benefit the city than Buzzard Point.

Posted by: LukasWP | January 16, 2011 7:53 PM | Report abuse

So how long will it take for Marc Fisher to come out against these plans? He's probably working on editorials right now to get the communities in both neighborhoods riled up about it. It only took him a day to blast down the previous Maryland plan?

The Capital City market proposal will be even easier to take out once he convinces the local community that the DC gov’t is going to spend hundreds of millions of tax payer money kicking out poor minority business owners to cater for rich white soccer fans.

I’ll give both these plans a zzzzzzzz once Fisher is through with them. Going forward DC United needs to keep this out of the public domain until they have set financial plans on the table…otherwise people like Fisher are going to destroy the option before it is even properly considered.

Posted by: Southeasterner | January 16, 2011 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Amazing goal -- from right around T Street.

Posted by: NotOffisde | January 16, 2011 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I did that once, except it was a pick-up game and the field was shorter and we didn't have goalkeepers and the goal posts were two piles of shirts. Well it was a little different.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 16, 2011 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Buzzard's Point, eh? I can dock my yacht . . er dinghy, er pedal boat right up at the docks and walk to the game. Awesome.

Either way, it'll keep United in DC.

Posted by: delantero | January 16, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I thought Fisher gave up his column some time ago.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 16, 2011 9:58 PM | Report abuse

DC United belongs in The District of Columbia w/out a doubt. For MLS to not have a flagship club in the Nations Capital would be embarrassing to say the least; especially after having had so much early success operating as the signature 4 star club.
It still pains me that the Skins play in RalJon/Landover. The Nats in DC is a great thing & DC United relocating hurts MLS on many levels.
That said, for J.O'Connell & The Post to just lob two locations out there w/a development map & infer this is in play is irresponsible.
The Maryland Stadium Authority is real and has a design & financial plan which is a major threat.
How long will ownership wait for a new facility?
MSA could have a Stadium built in 18-24 months.
I would like to know why Prince Georges Co. govt. officials are not banging down the MSA doors trying to win support (Martin O'Malley) for a facility @ The National Harbor. It is the "Maryland" Stadium Authority not the Baltimore Stadium Authority.
DC Commercial Real Estate SME's already have each location tagged w/a minimum 36 month timeline (shovel - to ribbon cutting) - approval studies alone would take 12 months to reach agreement on.
Mr. Chang won't wait 3+ years.
Dr. Goff why do you choose to "cry wolf" this way...
Can the club afford to operate 3 more years at RFK? Thats a lot of Racoon nibblets & Rat bedding to purchase...

Perry Kitchen & Chris Korb | Well done DCU! >> season tickets please
>> Vamos DCUZips VAMOS!

ZipSoccerNation
Alumni
Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Posted by: Zipfutbol | January 16, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse

"Not really sure how you could fit a stadium in Buzzards Point to be honest. "

We put I-95 underground in Boston. We can put a 20,000 soccer stadium in Buzzard's Point.

I'm more concerned about local watering holes as the Lot 8 tailgate would be at risk . .

Posted by: delantero | January 16, 2011 10:18 PM | Report abuse

@Zip -- PG officials? Maybe you missed that episode? DC United and the MSA already had plan for a facility in the county -- located right at a Metro station, where development is seriously lagging. The state legislature was getting ready to approve, when the PG County COuncil pulled the rug out, with a unanimous vote against locating a soccer stadium in the county.

As for these proposed sites -- I'd prefer the New York Ave area. much closer Metro access., and the potential to be part of a lively neighborhood is much better there. The Proposed Buzzards Point locale does seem a little small, and there's no way ot get wider due to existing facilities. On the other hand, if you go just a little north, across Q St, there seems to be a better plot, with very limited retail use right now. It looks as if that area could hold a larger facility and it would be easily accessible to the Waterfront Mall Metro station. For that matter, it looks like there might be a comparable plot of lightly developed land by New York Ave on the other side of the tracks. Although none of these locations are right off a highway, I think they could be very successful locations.

Posted by: fischy | January 16, 2011 10:25 PM | Report abuse

@delantero, we risk losing optimal tailgating, but there will surely be ways to still make do. There is plenty of retail/restaurant/bar space already available in the Nat's park hood. Adding another stadium to the mix and creating opportunity on the west side of S. Cap. St. would be win, win, win over anything that is there now.

I'd give up my tailgating and hoping someone in our group stays sober enough to drive home safely to keep United in DC even if it means having to hunt and peck through the watering holes in the neighborhood for the best pre game beer selections and prices.(god forbid...;))

Posted by: DadRyan | January 16, 2011 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I thought Fisher gave up his column some time ago.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 16, 2011 9:58 PM | Report abuse

He still pops his head in every once in a while in the editorial columns.

Posted by: Southeasterner | January 16, 2011 11:21 PM | Report abuse

thought Fisher gave up his column some time ago.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 16, 2011 9:58 PM | Report abuse

He still pops his head in every once in a while in the editorial columns.

Posted by: Southeasterner | January 16, 2011 11:21 PM
----------

Is it like wack-a-mole where you can knock Fisher's head back down for a good while?

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 17, 2011 12:12 AM | Report abuse

The New York Ave site looks fantastic from where I stand, although either place would be a terrific upgrade. If Chang et al can make this happen and keep United in DC, I will do my part and put out the cash for season tickets. It's a LONG buggy ride from up here down to DC, but I'd be willing to do it more often for a seat in the new sss home of DC United as long as it is IN DC. Do it!

Posted by: AmishJim | January 17, 2011 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Please, let's get this thing done! I'm not a soccer fan, but I have a great deal of respect for the success D.C. United has had within the past decade. It would be a shame if the franchise once seen as the pride of American soccer had to leave town simply because city officials didn't consider soccer an "important" sport.

Posted by: femfour | January 17, 2011 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Southeasterner wrote: "There is no way he will back any plans for a stadium near his beloved Nationals ballpark, especially on a site that would make for badly needed parking for Nats fans."

Why do you think Nats fans would be opposed? If you read Screech's Best Friend's blog at Nats320 (note to baseball fans, his name is NOT "Nats320"---that's just the name of the blog) pointed out that if a soccer stadium were built at Poplar Point, parking for DCU could also be used for the Nats when the soccer team was not playing, and a pedestrian bridge could be built over the Anacostia linking the two sites. I'm as big a Nats fans as you can get, and I'd love to welcome D.C. United as a neighbor.

Edward J. Cunningham
Rockville, MD

Posted by: femfour | January 17, 2011 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Capital City Market--bad idea. Gallaudet will be constantly complaining about the noise.

Seriously, where is the money going to come from? Buzzards Point strikes me as a better place for residential redevelopment. Nice river views, close in close to Metro, a far better use than a soccer stadium used about biweekly. It would be expensive to buy and the DC government, if they own it, will be foolish to just give it away.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 17, 2011 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Show me the money.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 17, 2011 6:59 AM | Report abuse

As someone who lives in the Waterfront area, there is plenty of space for a 2 side style stadium. Just look at a google map, the parking lot that they are talking about is roughly 400 ft wide by 1000 ft long. You put a field in the center and 2 large stands on either side. Just depends how long you want the pitch.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 17, 2011 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan
=================
What Metro access??? Buzzard's Point is the current location of Coast Guard Headquarters. The nearest Metro stations are Waterfront (1 1/2 miles) and Navy Yard (at least a mile, maybe more). Were you thinking of bus?

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | January 17, 2011 8:01 AM | Report abuse

It should only take the DC government 10-15 years to finish their impact studios and solicit their campaign bribes before approving either of these sites.

Posted by: grognard66 | January 17, 2011 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: grognard66 | January 17, 2011 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Buzzard Point! With Yards Park now almost complete, and the residential construction back on track (according to JD Land Blog), this are will become a hotspot. Yes, it's a hike from metro but I think a system of shuttles could be devised.

But in the end, what owntf said...DCU has gotta pay.

Posted by: DCB23 | January 17, 2011 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Apologies for the double post.

Posted by: grognard66 | January 17, 2011 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Oh one more thing regarding the distance from metro, acroding to T Wells: "Wells said that he would like to see the city's planned streetcar system run to Buzzards Point, particularly if a soccer stadium is built. "I certainly am very interested in keeping a soccer stadium in the District," he said. "I would like to integrate it with the streetcar."

Streetcar would be amazing.

Posted by: DCB23 | January 17, 2011 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | January 17, 2011 8:01 AM | Report abuse

1.5 Miles, maybe if you decided to walk around in a circle for a while...

its .8 miles from Waterfront, .7 from Navy Yard and takes maybe 10 minutes to walk the distance for any able bodied man.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 17, 2011 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Anyone stupid enough to think any DC government will act in good faith would keep playing at a dump like RFK for 15 years. What DC United still plays at RFK?

Move to Baltimore

Posted by: NICKYNUNYA | January 17, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Width should be an issue. If the block is only 430 feet wide, that's only 143 yards wide. If the width of the field is about 80 yards (including the benches), that leaves about 63 yards for stands and stadium support. That is only about 30 yards on each side to fit fans and concessions.

Posted by: neil_g | January 17, 2011 8:59 AM | Report abuse

"P. Brian Connolly, senior vice president at Akridge, said his firm had hoped to pitch a proposed 2.7 million-square-foot development it plans at 100 V St. SW, but the GSA ruled the property ineligible because it is slightly more than the required half-mile from a Metro entrance."

What, federal employees can't walk more than a half mile!?!?

Posted by: delantero | January 17, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

"Cap City Market would be interesting as that area isn't too far from the Sursum Corda Coop, although now home to XM, and a new Gov't Office."

--------------------------

It's the same distance from Sursum Corda as Union Station is from Sursum Corda. I don't understand your point.

The Capital City Market site would be directly adjacent to the NY Ave/Fla Ave station, and would easily have access to both of those streets. Not to mention the planned streetcar down Florida, which would connect the site to the H Street and U Street corridors. Sign me up.

That said, Ackridge is eager to do something, anything, with the Buzzard Point site, and the Capital City Market site will necessarily require displacing current businesses, which could get tricky. With Tommy Wells also pushing the Ackridge site (in Ward 6) and Harry Thomas Jr. absent from the conversation, I think the Buzzard Point site is more likely of the two. Of course, either would be fantastic if it could get worked out.

Posted by: TheAMT | January 17, 2011 9:17 AM | Report abuse

hofbrauhausde, there's a metro exit/entrance right at Half&M St.s' SE. You walk out and hang a left and you're practically at the ticket windows for Nat's park. If the walk to Buzzard's point is any further than the walk from the Armory to RFK and/or lot 8 now I'd be surprised.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 17, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Buzzard's would be a cash cow for pedal cabbies. :)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 17, 2011 9:33 AM | Report abuse

What, federal employees can't walk more than a half mile!?!?

Posted by: delantero | January 17, 2011 9:16 AM

Perhaps if taxpayer-provided doughnuts were offered at the entrance to the office each day.

I'm cautiously pessimistic about the stadium discussion. But I'll go on the record saying either location works for me.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 17, 2011 9:44 AM | Report abuse

There's obviously a huge amount of hurdles to be cleared before construction could start at either site, but they both sound pretty good from my perspective as an Arlington-based fan.

At least DC is discussing these sites with folks who could have constructive input in getting them built. Neither a Ward 6 Councilman nor the head of a Business Improvement District can, on their own, build a stadium but it's good to have them promoting the idea.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 17, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@ TheAMT

The business that would be impacted by a stadium at Capital City Market are already on borrowed time. The originally planned offices and condos that were supposed to be finished by now had already told those business it was soon time to go. They know they're on borrowed time.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | January 17, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Intrigued by these options? There is only one productive thing you can do: write letters and/or emails to politicians, newspapers, and community activists.

A list is forthcoming.

Posted by: hoyanick1 | January 17, 2011 10:15 AM | Report abuse

What, federal employees can't walk more than a half mile!?!?
Posted by: delantero | January 17, 2011 9:16 AM
----------
Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 17, 2011 9:44 AM
==========

A little bitter because you have to work today?
Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 17, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

A post like this used to get me excites, not so much anymore. I like both locations, but until shovele hit dirt I'm preparing myself for Balmore United. See you all at the home opener! 16 years with missing one and counting!
p.s. That mile walk from Metro to Buzzards could be lined with pubs and restaurants.

Posted by: boda-united | January 17, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

In other news: CONCACAF wants a fourth slot for WC14. Said Jack Warner, "Given recent events in the World Cup bid process, we are confident that we have sufficient resources to provide capital incentives to FIFA."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 17, 2011 10:45 AM | Report abuse

My exited friend, you know me too well...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 17, 2011 10:45 AM | Report abuse

@ mbyrd28 - Thanks for that info on the Capital Market. If the land owners are on board, as they seem potentially to be at Buzzard Point, that could make a lot of difference.

Posted by: TheAMT | January 17, 2011 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Lot more space at Capitol Market, I can agree with that, but there is a lot more work into demo and rebuilding there. SW, all you are doing is ripping up pavement.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 17, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@ alex35332

You are right. I fear that the construction at the NY Ave/Fla Ave interchange may need more work to support a stadium there. The train bridge over Fla is very narrow and the lights are horribly out of sync. It can take a long time just to cross that intersection from the West side of Fla to the East side.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | January 17, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Buzzards Point is probably a good site, although not the best for DC United. The US Coast Guard is scheduled to move to the St. Elizabeth's campus in a couple years and that will leave a huge need for development at Buzzards Point.

It's not a very desirable area, so there's not likely to be a lot of takers from a Business standpoint, but it is pretty close to Nationals Park, so if DC United were to build a stadium there that included a larger parking lot, the Nationals would have an opportunity to provide more parking.

It's also fairly easy to get to by car, unlike the Capitol Market area which is pretty dependent upon New York Ave for a lot of its traffic.

Posted by: TCompton | January 17, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Buzzards Point is certainly an exciting prospect, but I'm really having trouble seeing how there is enough space. The area between First and 2nd is just not enough for a stadium...period. If the two blocks between R, V, First and Half can be secured, then we'd have a nice little set up.

I'm sure there is some other dealing going on. I wonder what options they are considering since the Akridge land is insufficient

Posted by: FAkeemail9875 | January 17, 2011 11:22 AM | Report abuse

A list is forthcoming.

Write letters to Councilmembers at John A. Wilson Building, Suite 5, 1350 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20004.

Kwame R. Brown, Council Chairman
Suite: 504
kbrown@dccouncil.us
Tel: (202) 724-8032
Fax: (202) 724-8085

David A. Catania, Councilmember (At-Large)
Suite: 404
dcatania@dccouncil.us
Tel: (202) 724-7772
Fax: (202) 724-8087

Phil Mendelson, Councilmember (At-Large)
Suite: 402
pmendelson@dccouncil.us
Tel: (202) 724-8064
Fax: (202) 724-8099

Michael A. Brown, Councilmember (At-Large)
Suite: 406
mbrown@dccouncil.us
Tel: (202) 724-8105
Fax: (202) 724-8071

Jim Graham, Councilmember (Ward 1)
Suite: 105
jgraham@dccouncil.us
Tel: (202) 724-8181
Fax: (202) 724-8109

Jack Evans, Councilmember (Ward 2)
Suite: 106
jackevans@dccouncil.us
Tel: (202) 724-8058
Fax: (202) 724-8023
Mary M. Cheh, Councilmember (Ward 3)
Suite: 108
mcheh@dccouncil.us
Tel: (202) 724-8062
Fax: (202) 724-8118

Muriel Bowser, Councilmember (Ward 4)
Suite: 110
mbowser@dccouncil.us
Tel: (202) 724-8052
Fax: (202) 741-0908
Harry Thomas, Jr., Councilmember (Ward 5)
Suite: 107
hthomas@dccouncil.us
Tel: (202) 724-8028
Fax: (202) 724-8076

Tommy Wells, Councilmember (Ward 6)
Suite: 408
twells@dccouncil.us
Tel: (202) 724-8072
Fax: (202) 724-8054
Yvette M. Alexander, Councilmember (Ward 7)
Suite: 400
yalexander@dccouncil.us
Tel: (202) 724-8068
Fax: (202) 741-0911

Marion Barry, Councilmember (Ward 8)
Suite: 102
mbarry@dccouncil.us
Tel: (202) 724-8045
Fax: (202) 724-8055

Posted by: hoyanick1 | January 17, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

As someone pointed out, you could have a stadium without seats behind the goals in that space pretty easily.
I've been farting around with the distance measurement tool on google maps and from the looks of it a place like Millwall FC's stadium(minus the seats behind the goals) could actually fit in the space at Buzzards point.

I could probably spend all day figuring out which stadiums worldwide have the tiniest foot prints and figure out a solution.
The vision was always something with very steep seating compared to what we see at RFK, etc. anyway right? Can't seem to find a sat map of Volkswagen Arena, but wasn't that supposed to be a very small footprint as well???

Posted by: DadRyan | January 17, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

This SOUNDS great, but it will BE great when I see construction crews removing earth. Both locations are near a metro station, but the Market location seems to offer very limited parking space. The Buzzard Point location offers more space.

I would miss tailgating in the sunshine with a sweating solo cup and. But I would love to spend every pre-game in a bar with other DC United fans, fulfilling the "traditional" soccer pre-game routine.

But like so many have all ready said, I will get excited when I see the shovels in the ground. This is encouraging however.

Posted by: wanker82 | January 17, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

At the end of the day, whether or not there is a site in the city or not, the biggest question has to be who is going to pay for the stadium.

I don't think any of us really knows how much Chang can afford, but we at least have reason to believe that he can not afford to fund the stadium by himself.

But even if he's looking for new investors, part of the reason the PG County option fell through (although it was likely more to do with internal politics) was because Maryland and PG County were asked to secure a loan for 80% of the cost. DC United argued that new tax revenues would cover the loan payments, but United wouldn't guarantee the loan payments. That type of set up may have worked if the economic environment had remained strong.

The challenge DC United faces with the City is that the City is likely (if it hasn't happened) to have its debt rating reduced, meaning that the City likely won't be able to secure the type of funding similar to the PG County deal.

That's all assuming the current DC Administration would be willing to help finance a large scale project like a stadium.

It seems to me that the only way DC United could build a stadium would be to cover at least 80% of the cost. I just can't imagine that it can afford that, but who knows... maybe Chang has the investors lined up wait for a legitimate Real Estate opportunity.

Posted by: TCompton | January 17, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Keep in mind that the power station at Buzzard Point is also supposed to be closing down soon. As they phase that out, the land across the street at the north end of the parcel (now covered by transformers) will become available, and a stadium like Red Bull Arena would fit in easily.

Posted by: RCMII | January 17, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. What is it when you are fooled about 30 times?

Posted by: conval_1 | January 17, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"The team is called D.C. United. They don't have a stadium solution; they need one."

Posted by: OWNTF | January 17, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Looking more closely into Buzzards Point, I'm left with a couple more questions.

USCG will need to move prior to any work can begin on a stadium. According to DHS (http://blog.dhs.gov/search/label/St.%20Elizabeth%27s) USCG's new Headquarters is "slated for occupancy starting in 2013."

That means, the earliest demolishing would likely be able to begin is 2014. I don't remember how long MLS Stadiums take to build, but I'm going to guess its around 18 months. So, that puts DC United into a new stadium sometime by 2016. Can they afford to stay at RFK another 5-6 years?

Is that REALLY an option? I'm wondering if Chang is looking for investors to take over the team all together. He's got to be worried that he bought a bad investment.

Posted by: TCompton | January 17, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"DC had its chances and dropped the ball repeatedly - move to Baltimore, a city which actually shows they want and would appreciate the team without all the drama and politics."
Posted by: grognard66

"Move to Baltimore"
Posted by: NICKYNUNYA

"…until shovels hit dirt I'm preparing myself for Balmore United."
Posted by: boda-united

---------------------------------

Um, no offense to our friendly neighbors to the northwest, but SCREW BALTIMORE.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 17, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton
---------------------------

Who says the stadium has to go where the USCG HQ building is? (It is here, btw, for those who don't know): http://goo.gl/maps/EkHz

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 17, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@dadryan
Try Craven Cottage. Its not as large as Milwalls stadium and it us sandwhiched in between a neighborhood and the River Thames. Im no expert at judging distances but its pretty tight there and they squeeze in about 24,000 seats.

Posted by: FulhamDC | January 17, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

If the power station closes or space opens up on the other side at the National Defense University, there would be plenty of room to bridge a road and site there, but it s a hike from a Metro.@femfour -- About Poplar Point -- there already is a pedestrian bridge between the Nationals Stadium and Anacostia -- the South Capitol Street bridge has walkways on either side. It's a hike to get to the Metro, though, as there is no straight route...I've had some interesting experiences trying to find shortcuts through the brush. I doubt they could build a dedicated pedestrian bridge, though, because of drawbridge requirements, but I could be proved wrong.

Posted by: fischy | January 17, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I would imagine the city might be willing to close down a street for block or two a street to help increase the footprint for a stadium. That could add a little real estate on at least one side. Atletico Madrid built one of their stands over a roadway (creating a virtual tunnel), but that may be too expensive.

To the poster who said City Market was too hard to drive to, I would disagree. Maryland drivers coming from Route 50/NY Ave would have it pretty good. That road carries a lot of traffic every day. Virginia folks could drive in on the SW/SE freeway like they normally do and exit at the Capitol and it pops them out on NY Ave just a few blocks from FLA Ave. Some creative light management on game days could make a pretty easy drive into and out of the stadium area. Finally, the proximity of the metro station makes taking the train a very attractive option. Folks could entertainthemselves at Union Station before hoping on the train for one stop to get to the stadium. I would love to take the (planned) street car from U street by my house all the way to the stadium.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | January 17, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Um, no offense to our friendly neighbors to the northwest, but SCREW BALTIMORE.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21
-----------------------

(psst... your friendly neighbors to the northwest are Frederick)

Posted by: spidergoose | January 17, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Hardly what one should model a modern stadium on, but if you want a small footprint, gotta look at La Bombonera, Toluca (FC).

As a buddy of mine used to say, "Hence the name."

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | January 17, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Um, no offense to our friendly neighbors to the northwest, but SCREW BALTIMORE.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21
-----------------------

(psst... your friendly neighbors to the northwest are Frederick)

Posted by: spidergoose

---------------

Screw them, too. ;-)

Signed,

Directionally-challenged DCU Supporter

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 17, 2011 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Ha! That is kinda crazy. Craven Cottage would actually fit into that parking lot easily. Pretty interesting.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 17, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 17, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

True... although, I know that the parking lot just north of V St., between First and Second streets, gets pretty packed. So, I was assuming that building would have to wait until USCG started moving out, given how tight parking is there.

You're right though, building the stadium on the site of the existing USCG HQ building, might not be the best ground for the foundation.

The benefit of putting a stadium in the Buzzard Point neighborhood is that it could help to build a new entertainment district in the SW/SE neighborhoods. Especially with National's Park and the new Arena Stage nearby.

One thing to point out is that SW isn't the safest of neighborhoods and one thing the city would benefit from by building out the area is a likely decrease in crime (similar to what happened to Gallery Place/Chinatown when the MCI/Verizon Center was built).

Posted by: TCompton | January 17, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

That's some great news. When will we know if it going to happen.

Posted by: United07 | January 17, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Where did the idea that it would be put in the USCG HQ lot come from? The article says it would be the area inbetween R & V Streets and 1st and 2nd streets. Is it because that parcel provides parking for the USCG HQ?

Links of interest:
http://goo.gl/O8tNI - Street car proposal
http://goo.gl/K3CqK - Buzzard Point area to be used

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | January 17, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Screw them, too. ;-)
Signed,
Directionally-challenged DCU Supporter
Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 17, 2011 2:50 PM
==========

Frederick is home to a Thomas' English Muffin bakery, which is owned by Bimbo, which sponsors PhUnion.
So yes, screw Frederick too!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 17, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Do we really beleive that a stadium is going to be built in DC that involves any amount or version of public financing? Even if the economy wasn't so bad and the city was facing budget shortfalls, the desire to spend any public money on sports team franchises just is not there thanks to the massive giveaway that the Nats received. Backing a expenditure of public funds for a project like this would be political suicide.

This gets done in DC only if Will ponies up the dough to build it, the way JKC was prepared to do to get a Redskins stadium done on that golf course next to RFK. Oh, wait a minute...

Posted by: lgm6986 | January 18, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse

What lgm said.

I am super excited about the concept of Buzzard Point but there is just no way this can happen unless investors present a package to the city and the public that makes clear that the bulk of financing comes from the private sector. DCU has next to zero clout in this town and the current political climate will not allow for the existence (or appearance of) of something that is publicly funded. Ward 8 folks are demanding that Gray back up his rjhetoric with real investment in their area. DCU's stadium would not sit well if it appears the taxpayers are funding it.

NOW having said that...there is still Barry Farms in Ward 8, a site thrown around a few years back. That could allow Marion Barry something to champion, and Gray something to deliver.

Whatever it is, can we please put this long nightmare to an end??

Posted by: DCB23 | January 18, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

2 points.

1.The Buzzard Point location IS BIG ENOUGH. Craven Cottage was mentioned, but also check out Boca Juniors stadium - they are the exact same dimensions. http://bit.ly/gXf4ao

2. Getting a stadium location is critical to attract additional owners and financiers. This is b/c it is clear that the City will spend basically NO money. Therefore any new prospective owner/investor will demand to know what they are signing up for before signing up. This chicken and egg problem is why we haven't heard anything on either the ownership or the stadium front for so long.

So getting a location and a cost estimate for a stadium are critical to attracting additional owners that have the pockets to make this happen.

No one will join a DC United ownership group until there is a clear path toward a stadium.

Posted by: maxabergmann1 | January 18, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

So yes, screw Frederick too!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 17, 2011 5:11 PM