Posted at 2:38 PM ET, 01/27/2011

D.C. United to introduce third uniform

By Steve Goff

It's every hardcore supporters' dream: the third kit.

D.C. United will unveil its new outfit Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Washington Auto Show at the convention center. (The club is sponsored by Volkswagen, after all.) Several players will model the uniforms at the event and a 15-by-15-foot replica jersey will hang from the convention center lobby for the duration of the week-long show.

The new kit was created by adidas and will prominently feature a VW logo. It's unclear when it will debut during the season. Fans can purchase the jersey for $110 on the club's Web site.

By Steve Goff  | January 27, 2011; 2:38 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend soccer TV listings: FA Cup, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Mexico, Asian Cup
Next: Video: Dax McCarty's bicycle kick

Comments

Congratulations to DadRyan, who has been a one-man crusade for making this happen for a long time.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 27, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"Several players will model the uniforms at the event..."

Guess we know where BaRRD will be this weekend.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 27, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I hope it's red. I really like their pregame jerseys.

Posted by: Twitch703 | January 27, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

RED HOOPS!

Posted by: TheMightyUnited | January 27, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

All proceeds from the new kit sales will go towards exterminating the cockroaches at RFK.

Posted by: icehippo | January 27, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

RED HOOPS!

Posted by: TheMightyUnited | January 27, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

RED HOOPS!

Posted by: TheMightyUnited
------------

Doesn't somebody already do that?

I can't imagine they'll be straight-up red, because then they'd be too similar to the pre-game jerseys.

Posted by: spidergoose | January 27, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

$110 a pop? It's every marketer's dream...

Posted by: Modibo | January 27, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Happy late Christmas DadRyan.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 27, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

It's every hardcore supporters' [wet] dream: the third kit.

Posted by: WorldCup | January 27, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease be RED! Just like the training jerseys I love...

Ruud Gullit defends his decision

Posted by: Reignking | January 27, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

LOL. It made some sense when we actually were qualified for some international play... Perhaps we'll use them in our big summer friendly vs. FC Ingolstadt?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell

Is it made from hemp?

Posted by: Reignking | January 27, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Is it made from hemp?

Posted by: Reignking

Blood libel... ;)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

See, I thought every hard core supporter's dream was that United would NOT cynically market a third kit.

Posted by: BDR232 | January 27, 2011 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BDR232 | January 27, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Blood libel... ;)

Posted by: DadRyan

Is that the color?

Posted by: Reignking | January 27, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't somebody already do that?

Posted by: spidergoose
------------------

FC Dallas has 3 red hoops. I'd personally love to see 2 red stripes on the chest(maybe not hoops) with 2 red stars above them. Just above the VW. Brings backour stripes while representing the district proudly.

Posted by: TheMightyUnited | January 27, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Does it come with one of those Mexican Wrestling masks so you won't be recognized?
A new "kit" isn't going to help a bit.

Posted by: NICKYNUNYA | January 27, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't somebody already do that?

Posted by: spidergoose
------------------

FC Dallas has 3 red hoops. I'd personally love to see 2 red stripes on the chest(maybe not hoops) with 3 red stars above them. Just above the VW. Brings backour stripes while representing the district proudly.

Posted by: TheMightyUnited | January 27, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't somebody already do that?

Posted by: spidergoose
------------------

Posted by: TheMightyUnited | January 27, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

A new "kit" isn't going to help a bit.

Posted by: NICKYNUNYA | January 27, 2011 4:03 PM
-------------------

Think of it as chipping in for a Designated Player striker.

Posted by: spidergoose | January 27, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

@TheMightyUnited: the DC flag has three stars.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 27, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

110 $!!! That's 1/5 of my paycheck, or 1/10 of my monthly intake. Does it come out in bootleg knockoff form? Maybe I'll ask Mrs Grubbsbl, seeing she has a job in the real world. I like the idea though.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 27, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Oops. I misread your post. must be snowblindness.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 27, 2011 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@TheMightyUnited: the DC flag has three stars.
Posted by: I-270Exit1
----------------------
Yeah, sorry. Reposted with 3. Typing on an Android screen...

Posted by: TheMightyUnited | January 27, 2011 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@TheMightyUnited: the DC flag has three stars.
Posted by: I-270Exit1
----------------------
Yeah, sorry. Reposted with 3. Typing on an Android screen...

Posted by: TheMightyUnited | January 27, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

its gotta be red. i could go for like a gun metal grey/steel color with some red on it.

Posted by: VTUnited | January 27, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope it is red though. Also, that's not very good math. There is a reason I do discourse analysis and don't handle the budget.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 27, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I guess it will either be a jersey similiar to Flamengo, AC Milan, or River Plate. As long as their are no lightning bolts coming from the armpits a la other MLS jersey's, I'll be happy.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | January 27, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinAddict | January 27, 2011 4:22 PM

hadnt thought about that angle. vertical stripes would be pretty sweet, and no other team in the league currently has that look, right?

Posted by: VTUnited | January 27, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm with stupid?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 27, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

How about a big swirl, to hypnotize opponents?

Posted by: Reignking | January 27, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of DCU -- if anybody with the team is reading this: Get off your wide ends! Soony Saad is going pro and on trial with Anderlecht. I doubt DC can compete with Anderlecht, if the Belgians offer him a first-team contract. That said, the team -- and the league -- should try. Saad is the kind of potential breakout striker the team has been looking for since Emilio went into decline. I don't know if MLS is prepared to offer up another GA contract, but the team should be willing to carve out some cap space if need be. Saad would be the best possible prospect for the weighted lottery.

I will make this promise: If DCU does get Saad, I will buy a 3rd jersey with Saad's name and number on it.

Posted by: fischy | January 27, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I hope the jerseys also continue the trend of being really tight. In fact the MLS brass should introduce a policy that everyone wears their jersey in Taylor Twellman baby size fashion.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 27, 2011 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the sales of authentic/replica 3rd jerseys to fans will turn enough of a profit to finally let DC build their stadium....

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 27, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Geez, I hopes in not like Barca's CLge jersey.

I'm guessing all red.

Posted by: delantero | January 27, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Finally, a third jersey. I'm hoping for something red.

Is it just me, or does the guy from those Washington Auto Show ads have the most punchable face on earth?

Posted by: JeffMaurer | January 27, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"Anacostia Brown" with rat-teeth bite marks.

Posted by: Reignking | January 27, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

A third jersey, huh? Sweet.

Posted by: Kosh2 | January 27, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"Anacostia Brown" with rat-teeth bite marks.

Posted by: Reignking | January 27, 2011 5:14 PM
=========

I'd say it should be with raccoon-teeth bite marks.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 27, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I bet the Jersey is pink and is a Breast Cancer themed design.

Posted by: TCompton | January 27, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

It has to be red...for all of the red ink...

Posted by: Reignking | January 27, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Red raccoon pelt?

Posted by: Mixter | January 27, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Red"?!

"I am standing up at the water's edge in my dream
I cannot make a single sound as you scream
It can't be that cold, the ground is still warm to touch
This place is so quiet, sensing that storm

Red rain is coming down
Red rain
Red rain is pouring down
Pouring down all over me..."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 27, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTUnited

You have seen the Flounders new Shale away jerz right... Learned to love it for the US, but this would be like buying your wife that halter top that the waitress at your favorite bar is always wearing when you part with all your money... ;)

@Joel,
Zing!

@JeffMaurer, don't be so hard on yourself, I think Kevin Payne might have the most punchable face on earth. Or Freddy Montero...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2011 6:17 PM | Report abuse

interesting story on the challenges facing the Carolina Railhawks (NASL): http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/can-professional-soccer-survive-in-cary/

Posted by: Pedalada | January 27, 2011 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Like others, I think it will be red. But they won't call it just "red." They'll use pomegranate or tornado or whatever VW calls red.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 27, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Five years ago I purchased a Jaime Moreno jersey at the team store at RFK for around $100 and I have since moved to the tropics.

For some reason the white Adidas stripes and numbers are starting to melt and turn sticky. It’s almost always 88 degrees here but I would think if these guys are wearing these jerseys at RFK they are exposed to temperatures much higher.

Posted by: Southeasterner | January 27, 2011 7:12 PM | Report abuse

51 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 27, 2011 7:17 PM | Report abuse

The authentic is $110, I'd imagine they'll be selling a replica, too.

I'm very much happy with my white authentic I bought when they were on sale in 09 because of the new ones last year. $30 plus shipping, for the long sleeve no less. That said, I'm excited.

Also on red jerseys, the USA one is making the rounds again, and I believe the Shinguardian or Bumpy Pitch have confirmed it will be used in the run up to the Gold Cup.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 27, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Red"?!

"I am standing up at the water's edge in my dream
I cannot make a single sound as you scream
It can't be that cold, the ground is still warm to touch
This place is so quiet, sensing that storm

Red rain is coming down
Red rain
Red rain is pouring down
Pouring down all over me..."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 27, 2011 6:06 PM

Love Peter Gabriel but how about the lyrics to King Crimsons' "Red":

"......................"

Posted by: LAfanofSI | January 27, 2011 7:42 PM | Report abuse

maybe they're bringing back the three chest stripes version. you can get the 3-stripe throwback t-shirt at the team store now.

Posted by: fedssocr | January 27, 2011 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Re: Did someone say Red?

All that we can do is just survive
All that we can do to help ourselves is stay alive

Ragged lines of ragged grey
Skeletons, they shuffle away
Shouting guards and smoking guns
Will cut down the unlucky ones

Posted by: delantero | January 27, 2011 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Panama Red

Posted by: OWNTF | January 27, 2011 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edgeonyou | January 27, 2011 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Its blue with stripes on the sleeves since they have throwback gear at the store which isn't creative using the new badge rather than the old. The blue jersey is to call for the rebranding of the wizards to the bullets

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 27, 2011 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see this third shirt pay homage to the old NASL Diplomats. A red kit with a white three-stripe sash, which in this case would be interrupted by the VW logo.

Kinda like this: http://www.footy-shirts.co.uk/img/4/338.jpg

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 28, 2011 5:33 AM | Report abuse

I will wear it, if it's blue,
I will wear it, yes it's true.
I will wear it, if it's red,
I will wear it, 'til I'm dead!

Cat in the Hat!
Cat in the Hat!
Cat in the Hat!

Posted by: swwj | January 28, 2011 7:30 AM | Report abuse

I ain't buyin'.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | January 28, 2011 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I see red people.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 28, 2011 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Southeasterner | January 27, 2011 7:12 PM |

-------------------------------------------------------------

Man, do you have problems. 88 degrees every day? No wonder you're writing to complain about the jersey. You have to distract yourself from your hellish existence,,,,

Posted by: fischy | January 28, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm a hardcore supporter and it's not my dream to pay $110 for a 3rd jersey.

Posted by: CHICO13 | January 28, 2011 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to see a new kit with black and red vertical stripes like the AC Milan shirt: http://www.soccerpro.com/common/images/P96288_Adidas_AC_Milan_Home_Jersey_2010_2011_zm.jpg

Posted by: tcbannon | January 28, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

The red/black vertical stripes remind me too much of the Metrostars jersey.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 29, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

SO lame to continue with the sellout corporate feces smeared all over an otherwise decent kit. Whether it's MasterCard or VW, or any other biz on US soccer shirts: NO. Just because Europe does it doesn't mean we all have to as well. Terribleness.

Posted by: TheSpaldingMachine | January 29, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Agree with TheSpaldingMachine. MLS teams are still establishing their brands. Corporate logos look bad and are confusing to casual sports fan

Posted by: neil_g | January 29, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tcbannon | January 29, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how I feel about that shade of red.

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | January 29, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse