Posted at 6:17 PM ET, 01/ 4/2011

D.C. United's stadium outlook and investor search, Pat Onstad's arrival and Jaime Moreno's status

By Steve Goff

Baltimore is serious about D.C. United, but is United serious about Charm City?

While the club continues to explore stadium opportunities in Washington, United is taking a hard look at the Maryland Stadium Authority's economic feasibility study concerning a mixed-use waterfront project in the Westport area near Interstate 95 and Camden Yards in Baltimore.

"Our name is D.C. United, but we're not playing [tactical] games here," team president Kevin Payne told the Insider. "Baltimore has dealt with us in good faith and it's a very good opportunity. It's a good location. The developer has also dealt with us in very good faith. We believe Baltimore can get something done. It's a real opportunity."

Payne said he hopes to meet with D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray this month to discuss a possible project in Washington, United's home since its inception in 1996. There are no talks with any jurisdictions in the Maryland suburbs or Northern Virginia, Payne added. United has been trying for years to find a replacement for antiquated RFK Stadium, which lacks amenities, is too large for the club's purposes and doesn't provide substantial revenue opportunities.

"We would love to be in Virginia," Payne said, noting that more United supporters are from there than any other area. Based on where those fans live, "the ideal location would probably be Tysons Corner, but it's very difficult to make a stadium work in Virginia because the state and municipalities will not provide any credit enhancement at all. I think it's a very shortsighted position, and that's why there are no professional teams in Virginia. I don't see any realistic way we could build a stadium in Virginia."

For more news.....

*Will Chang, United's San Francisco-based owner, continues to seek local investment to bolster the club's foundation. "We're having some very good conversations that will bear fruit in the not-too-distant future," Payne said, declining to offer specifics.

*Assistant coach Pat Onstad, who retired last month after eight seasons as one of MLS's finest goalkeepers, will formally join the club Wednesday. Though they were never teammates, he and United Coach Ben Olsen became friends through their work with the MLS players' union.

"He has been coaching people for the last 10 years, running clinics and camps and working with the U-23s in Canada," Olsen said. "He is going to be a great addition."

*United's offer to former captain Jaime Moreno about joining the youth academy staff still stands. "He knows there is an opportunity here when he is ready to take it," Payne said. "Right now, he wants to try to play one more season, probably abroad."

With United, Moreno would probably serve as technical director for the junior teams, Payne said. Moreno couldn't be reached to comment.

By Steve Goff  | January 4, 2011; 6:17 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: RFK Stadium's cockroaches, raccoons and power outages, oh my!
Next: Video: Clint Dempsey's goal vs. West Brom

Comments

Hmmm...No discussions anywhere else. Only Baltimore is on the table. To me it looks like the potential, but not confirmed, meeting with Gray is the last chance to stay in D.C.

Here we come Baltimore.

Posted by: strago | January 4, 2011 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Tysons would be a good location once metro is completed through there. It is actually easy access for Maryland residents; at 3 I made it from 29 and New Hampshire to Tysons in about 25 minutes yesterday. Rush hour would take longer clearly. However, I won't hold my breath for the VA legislature to act.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 4, 2011 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Yup, VAAAMOS hun...see you at Looney's Pub in Canton after the match.

Posted by: Zipfutbol | January 4, 2011 6:38 PM | Report abuse

after the way the United ticket office, and to some degree the screaming eagles, have dealt with my ticket relocation "problem," I won't feel as bad not renewing now. the impending move to baltimore makes it that much easier. hopefully they will treat their new baltimore fans better than they have treated some of their 14 year season ticket holders.

Posted by: torrey151 | January 4, 2011 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Although I am glad to see that the team is committed to the District, I don't see them being able to stay there. The District was forced into a bad stadium deal in order to get the Expos and that will make it tough politically to get any kind of public funding for an SSS. I am surprised to see that northern Virginia is not willing to work with them. When Norfolk was trying to get the Expos they were able to get $300M in stadium funding from the State. Wonder why NOVA can't do something similar to land DCU? Is this more of a NIMBY thing? To me I don't think they will have a choice and eventually they will move to the Charm City. Just have to wait and see!

Posted by: onenetnut | January 4, 2011 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Any parcel of land large enough to accommodate a stadium in the northern side of NoVa would be worth far too much money to actually use as a stadium. Stadia don't go in expensive areas, they go in wastelands and urban renewal areas. That's not Tysons. Or it's environs.

If you can manage to put together those parcels, a smart developer would build anything but a stadium. But if they were so inclined, THEN there's the zoning, and public land use hearings.

Finally, this region, unlike Norfolk, is unlikely to subsidize any development that doesn't include a large Corp. HQ ReLo.

Posted by: JkR- | January 4, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I agree with JkR. I think his observation is accurate, I just like the idea of Tysons because it is easy for both MD and VA fabs. In a dream world I would like a stadium either in the current location or the area of DC just north of Howard University (no, there really isn't any cheap space available, I am just attracted to that part of DC -7th street would have to be improved in that area)

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 4, 2011 7:43 PM | Report abuse

DCU in Tysons? I would love it....I could walk to the games; tailgate on my deck, etc. But having been to the Tysons Master Plan meetings with the county, there's no room in Tysons. Plus Tyson's is a huge cluster. (Google Tysons Metro Development and HOT Lanes if you doubt.) If it's not already in the plan, it's not going to happen.

I grew up in Charm City. Charm City has the O's and the Raven's. DCU needs to stay in DC, hon. Let's all root for Gray to do the right thing and keep the DC in DCU.

Posted by: billszy | January 4, 2011 8:02 PM | Report abuse

if they move to baltimore i will stop watching MLS altogether. I dont watch it on tv unless Dc United plays. i have been a season ticket holder for 4 years now and as soon as they announce they will move i will not go to another game. im not saying another game in baltimore im saying as soon as they announce it i will never go see them again. yes i do live in Va

Posted by: choppenup | January 4, 2011 8:16 PM | Report abuse

1. Tysons would be a sad development. I'm in NoVa. But I think the best situation for DCU is an urban stadium. Being close to Metro, the Beltway--that's not bad. But it's not the ultimate...which would be an urban stadium. I think why Tysons "might" be something Payne mentions (in the same breath when he mentions Virginia obstacles) is if you buy land out there now (yes, expensive) BEFORE the Metro goes in and then develop some of it, you recoup your money many times over. So...Chang and Co. could be talking to developers saying "multi-use stadium, mixed use lot, in 5 years you make a killing" and that would draw some developers.

2. I'm hoping (and I hope I'm not being blindly optimistic here) that Vincent Gray is attempting to be the anti-Fenty (who only paid lip-service to the stadium while throwing up barriers). In which case he'd use this as an opportunity to make a statement. That said, I'm not holding out tremendous hope.

3. Glad to see a clearer sense of what Jaime is being offered by DCU. Technical Director for the youth academy--sounds like a talent spotting-player evaluation role (which should be good for him, rather than having to focus more on organization and logistics).

Posted by: JoeW1 | January 4, 2011 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I think its more likely that we build a stadium on Mars than Tyson's, I mean that is a joke....buildable land doesn't get more expensive than in Tyson's.

Posted by: rockotodd | January 4, 2011 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Ideal situation would be to demolish RFK, build football stadium for the Skins at RFK site, then build soccer stadium for DC United at Popular Point location in Anacostia near the metro.

Posted by: MrWillie | January 4, 2011 8:46 PM | Report abuse

74 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 4, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Anyone dreaming of NOVA should remember Jack Kent Cooke's fiasco at Potomac Yards. If VA and the NOVA politicians wouldn't bend over for the "beloved" Redskins, they sure won't for DCU. I'm reconciled to "Chesapeake United" or "Patapsco United" in Charm City. If that is what it takes to keep professional soccer within driving distance of my house, so be it. I'll go even though I live in VA.

Posted by: griffin1108 | January 4, 2011 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Somewhere along the new trolley line on H St. would be nice.

Posted by: Curious99 | January 4, 2011 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Re: whining Virginia fans

Good riddance.

I've been a fan of United since the first home match in 1996.

When i was in stationed at camp Pendleton in California, I'd go to united games in L.A. and when I was back home In Olney visiting family and friends.

When I moved to Brevard, N.C. I drove to Columbus for United road games there, and also made the 16 hour roundtrip trek to RFK several times a season.

Now that I'm in Raleigh, I still make the drive up when I can, and was fortunate to have a rugby match in Bethesda the same day as Jaime's last match, so I was able to be at RFK once again to witness history.

If you pansies won't drive about an hour to continue to follow United (should they move to Baltimore) then I say good riddance. Why don't you just order FSC Plus and become another eurosnob?

Posted by: alecw81 | January 4, 2011 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone compared the promises of the Baltimore plan to those of the Poplar Point plan?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 4, 2011 9:31 PM | Report abuse

EFff you Zipfutbol. Your front running kind is more welcome in Seattle move there already doosh nozzzle. (Yep, I'm back at it!)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 4, 2011 9:44 PM | Report abuse

@alecw81

It's not about driving distances, it's about relocation...I don't know how you don't see that a move to Baltimore is akin to a relocation of the team -- Baltimore, MD does not equal DC Metro Area. I don't root for the Baltimore Orioles, the Baltimore Blast or the Baltimore Ravens, why would I root for Baltimore United?

If I were Will Change, I'd give Mayor Gray 12 months to get it together and then take up the MD Stadium Authority's offer. I will hate him forever for moving the team, but I will understand why he did it.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | January 4, 2011 9:46 PM | Report abuse

1. To all of you "fans": it isn't the team's fault that they can't build in DC. It's either Baltimore or they become a new team in Atlanta/st. louis/new York. Yes it's not ideal but it's better than losing the team. True fans will support the team as long as they are DC United.

2. Has anyone considered the land on 66/Dulles toll road in VA? There is nothing but trees interspersed with neighborhoods. Wolf trap is out there, so is metro, so is A LOT of undeveloped land. That would make more scence than the cluster-F that is Tysons. I'm sure it's been thought of and yea the snobby Virginians don't want bright lights blocking their view of the stars while they sleep INSIDE their house. But Tysons?

Posted by: wanker82 | January 4, 2011 10:01 PM | Report abuse

@alec, easy to talk so much smack when you're a 5 hour drive away TUFF guy. Go support the rail hawks and shut up already.
I'll see you and Zip for Brains up in Balmer before long for sure. Maybe we can play a little mumbly peg?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 4, 2011 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I support DC United, the Washington Redskins, Washington Capitals, Maryland Terrapins, and Baltimore Orioles.

Should DC United become Baltimore United the Charm City Clippers, or some other variation, I will still support them.

DadRyan, go back to your yurt.

Posted by: alecw81 | January 4, 2011 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@ Dad
LOL
Mumbly peg eh? Zip's the pirate eh?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 4, 2011 10:38 PM | Report abuse

There's about 10 city blocks at Walter Reed about to come available. Look if the city wanted them we'd know about it. They don't.

Kevin "Ben Olsen will not be our coach" Payne has no credibility. I have no idea what to believe that comes out of his mouth.

Will Chang would be better served to get the little Napolean out of management and let someone negotiate who the city will have faith in.

Posted by: dsheon1 | January 4, 2011 10:51 PM | Report abuse

No Metro near enough to Walter Reed. Even highway access is limited. Connecticut and Georgia Aves. aren't built to funnel that much traffic.

Got my fingers crossed, but I'd say the odds of Vincent Gray seeing the value -- political and economic -- in building a soccer stadium is a million to one. On the other hand, Gray was elected, barely, basically by getting the indigenous urban black vote. He might want to cut off a challenge by Jack Evans and throw a big bone to the urban homesteading and Northwest, highly educated DC transplants who might think differently about Gray if he backed a soccer stadium. Also, there's the folks in Ward 8 who were thrilled with Barry's efforts to bring in a big project there. Gray has to deliver for them, too.

Obviously, the primary pitch has to be economic, but I'd say there is some political subtext that DCU could also hint at. No one's going to wildly cheer for a soccer stadium, but it could be a chance for Gray to change his image a little and lay down a more formidable foundation for re-election. NOrmally, proposing a publicly-funded sports stadium -- especially a soccer stadium -- wouldn't be a big political winner. In Gray's case, ti just might be.

Posted by: fischy | January 4, 2011 11:19 PM | Report abuse

As I've written before -- the Westport project is pretty attractive -- for Baltimore. It's a good opportunity...on a Baltimore-level scale. DC is just a much bigger and better playground. Even the best opportunity in Baltimore pales compared to any decent DC option.

Posted by: fischy | January 4, 2011 11:23 PM | Report abuse

"Even the best opportunity in Baltimore pales compared to any decent DC option."

Which doesn't exist, as far as we know.

Posted by: spidergoose | January 4, 2011 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wanker82
---------------------

I immediately dismiss anyone who begins a sentence in a comment on a sports blog with "True fans will..." I was at the first game in '96 and supported the Diplomats and the ill-fated "Team America" before that. "True" enough for you?

You (and several others) are missing a key point; IF they move they will no longer be "DC" United. Baltimore is Baltimore and DC is DC. I'm not a Ravens or Orioles fan and I don't expect them to support the Nats or Redskins. If you and alecw81 want to cheer for Baltimore United, go for it.

I might go to a game or two a year, but I will no longer be a supporter if they move. The fact that it's not DCU's fault doesn't matter. I'm a DC guy.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 5, 2011 1:07 AM | Report abuse

DCU laid off two employees right before the holidays (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year) and Will has put in a hiring/pay freeze. Obviously, finances are an issue, likely due to a large drop in attendance and sponsorhip revenue.

So, the team's three-year dive on the field, due substantially to Kasper's management performance, causes revenues to drop and financial belt-tightening results in people losing their jobs. Yet Kasper somehow keeps his.

What a great country.

Posted by: lgm6986 | January 5, 2011 6:08 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah..gotta remember SI is back :) Agree with PrinceBuster21, DC United is my team, here in DC where I live, where I can walk to matches (very fortunate to have that luxury), have season tics...moving to Baltimore changes all of that.

I would likely make it to some games...but all games? Just aint gonna happen. Graye simply does not care about DCU. On the other hand, Barry Farms is/was a possible ward8 locale, maybe that becomes the stadium/multi-use project Graye can bring to that ward?

Posted by: DCB23 | January 5, 2011 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Most fans will support DCU for a long period of time as long as it looks like the club has a plan , a bit of money and some leadership.

Its disturbing that Kevin floats the old Tysons Corner non starter after 5 years working on this issue. Looks like he and Mr Chang have given up here.

When the team moves to Baltimore they'll lose all of their Virginia participants for DCU youth soccer and that was a bright spot of the organization (JM lives in Va and does not want to take over Youth development during move even if he wanted to stop playing.)

Posted by: katomato | January 5, 2011 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I am also sick of the "True fan" comments. I've been a season ticket holder since year one. Back then, I was single, no kids, I could do what I want with my time. Now I'm married, 3 young kids, and my time is not always my own. A move to Baltimore adds, if I'm lucky, at LEAST 2 hours to game day. 2 hours that I really can't spare. Yes I live in VA.

I used to get about 5 free tix a year to go see the Redskins, and I stopped doing that because it was an all day commitment. I just don't want to spend all day doing that.

Don't question someone's loyalty to a team because of a little thing called "relocation." Ask a Baltimore resident if they supported the Colts after they moved. Most will say no.

Posted by: torrey151 | January 5, 2011 7:58 AM | Report abuse

I predict that if DC moves to B-more, they'll be called "DC United of Baltimore", which is similar to "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" and sounds something like "FC United of Manchester."

My question is, Goff, with Chang still looking for an investor, and Beckham earning the right to buy (into) an MLS franchise in less than a year, what are the odds that Becks will be reunited with the "United" nickname and be a co-owner of DC United? (If Becks is co-owner, I would bet on Graye being more than willing to strike a deal due to it being a lot more high-profile).

Posted by: DaninFL | January 5, 2011 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Two thoughts:

Regarding the discussion with Gray, we've been going through this waaaayyyy too long to think that this or anything else is a "last chance" to get something done in DC. We've had these so-called last chances before. Let's say nothing comes of the Gray meeting, then Baltimore totally falls through, where will we be? Yep. Looking for another last chance. Let's just hope for any chance at all and leave "last" out of it.

Second: There are some excellent places to drink in Baltimore and trains that run both ways. I can think of worse places.

Posted by: JoeS3 | January 5, 2011 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Recap: No stadium news. zzzzzzzzzzzz.

The only amusement I find is DC United's newest euphemism for taxpayer funding -- "credit enhancement" -- that must be the new "liquidity"

Posted by: OWNTF | January 5, 2011 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Further recap: no new investment

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Posted by: OWNTF | January 5, 2011 8:49 AM | Report abuse

@ alec -- sod off, you wanker

Posted by: OWNTF | January 5, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

As far as Virginia stadiums go, there is a new minor league baseball stadium going up in Loudoun County, near the intersection of 28 and 7. It's too far out for DC United, but if Loudoun can build a new stadium, maybe another jurisdiction can as well. I live near the Potomac Yards section of Alexandria and often look at that space a dream of a SSS there, but there's no way the old money NIMBY's in Alexandria will let that happen.

The inner harbor area of Baltimore is great, and the stadiums there feed off that and provide a great atmosphere. If United were to move, I'd still go as often as I could. But it just boggles my mind that what is supposed to be the most powerful city in the world can't pull off something like that.

Posted by: FulhamDC | January 5, 2011 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Last I checked, Baltimore was a lot closer than Indianapolis... So comparing the colts and united is silly.

Posted by: alecw81 | January 5, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

When the ICC is complete, the trip from my MoCo house to Inner Harbor should be quicker than the trip to RFK. That might turn me into a "true fan."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 5, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Annapolis United! Just tear down Navy Stadium and build there.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 5, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

It's probably a stupid question, but is there an opportunity for something at the UMD campus?

Posted by: b18bolo | January 5, 2011 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Agreed on the "Baltimore United" and "DC United of Baltimore" comments -- that would make it Baltimore's team, not DC's. Which would be a shame, since DC United is one of the stronger teams in MLS and has built up a fan base here. No way am I driving to the Inner Harbor for that.

I don't see a site in NoVa anywhere but in Arlington along the rail line where the old Twin Bridges Marriott used to be, east of I-395 and north of Crystal City. Forget Tysons, not in the plan, and Potomac Yards (another good choice) is filling up.

I like the idea of along the Anacostia, and even the prospect of levelling RFK and building a football facility for both NFL and MLS, somewhat like the Meadowlands. (FedEx Field is a cruel joke; bring the Skins home already)

Of course, you have to consider the "credit enhancements" (LOL) coming from the munis. Last I looked the situation in Maryland was just as dire as in Virginia and DC. Which of the respective leaders (Gray, McDonnell, O'Malley) has the clout to make it rain to the tune of 100 mill when teachers are being furloughed and hiring freezes are on?

And Atlanta? Please! Baltimore is crazy talk, but Atlanta is suicide.

Posted by: ennepe68 | January 5, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alecw81 | January 4, 2011 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I want DC United in DC just like everybody else but push is coming to shove and DCU is finding zero cooperation around here. Want to make a difference guys? How about voicing your support with your local politicals for a DCU stadium in YOUR backyard. Nothing in the past couple of years has infuriated me more than reading what amounted to NIMBY posts by SI regulars and you know who you are. If you truly want to help United with the stadium situation then bless you. If constantly scream and yell for DCU to stay in DC but will oppose a new stadium unless it meets your unrealistic terms in your own back yard then stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Vamos United!

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | January 5, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Annapolis United! Just tear down Navy Stadium and build there.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 5, 2011 10:12 AM
________________________________________

So the Naval Academy has determined that it no longer needs a stadium, huh?

Posted by: universityandpark | January 5, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

There's a world of difference between NIMBY and NOOMFY (NotOutOfMyF'gWallet).

If you really want to make a difference put your own money where your mouths are, and quit whining for a handout . . . er, a "credit enhancement" from taxpayers

Posted by: OWNTF | January 5, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

NOOMFW. Whatever.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 5, 2011 10:55 AM | Report abuse

For me IT IS NOT ABOUT DRIVE TIME!!! I live in York Pennsylvania, 90 mins from RFK (Rats, Ferral-cats, Kockroach) Baltimore is only 45 mins away. I would rather drive to DC.

I grew up in the Alexandria (Virginia) area. I played and graduated from Edison HS where Andy Najar dropped out of (Onward Eagles).

If United moves more than 20 miles outside the beltway, especially to Baltimore, it will become another team. The Nats ARE NOT the Expos, the Ravens ARE NOT the Browns and Baltimore United WILL NOT be DC United!!!

I don't know if I can get behind Baltimore United.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 5, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I posted in the other thread with the cockroaches and raccoons.

Which is where I want to be.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 5, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

There's a world of difference between NIMBY and NOOMFY (NotOutOfMyF'gWallet).

Posted by: OWNTF | January 5, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Legitimate point but if they move then shut up about it. FYI-I would open my wallet in a heartbeat to keep them in the DC area and said so when PG County was in play.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | January 5, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ennepe68 | January 5, 2011 10:35 AM
___________________________________________

There are longstanding plans for county recreational facilities at that site:

Posted by: universityandpark | January 5, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Someone mentioned the Howard University area. I have oftne wondered if Howard University would want to make a deal to upgrade the stadium on their campus for United. There is a Metro station, the site for a stadium is there. Obviously driving there would be difficult but it has several advantages. I doubt the university would want to invest anything but they could have some kind of revenue sharing if DC covered construction and maintenance costs. Just a thought.

Posted by: sbg1 | January 5, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

@alecw81

I agree, I found people cheering (and driving) for DC United from Shenandoah Valley of Va and from Lancaster, PA. Baltimore doesn't change that.

Posted by: lrg123123 | January 5, 2011 11:53 AM | Report abuse

DC United --> Baltimore Rovers

Posted by: fifty7 | January 5, 2011 11:59 AM | Report abuse

There's a world of difference between NIMBY and NOOMFY (NotOutOfMyF'gWallet).

Posted by: OWNTF | January 5, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Not much in your case, because you assumed they're in your wallet. You 'tanslated' a sentence to mean something other than what it said--which is only that United would want to borrow on a AAA bond rating instead of trying to hit up a bank on their own.

Posted by: stancollins | January 5, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

DC United ---> FC United (BWI becomes a major sponsor)

Posted by: sofiaboy | January 5, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

A loan guarantee, which is what would produce the higher bond rating, means that taxpayers will foot the bill in the event of default. There is no way of knowing whether that will happen in this particular case, but it will happen with some probability, so there is no free lunch here.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 5, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"Dad, I'm not asking you to pay for the new car! I'm just asking you to sign for the loan! I can make the payments! I swear!"

= "credit enhancement"

= kid's hand is in my wallet

Posted by: OWNTF | January 5, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

= kid's hand is in my wallet
_______________________________________

You just said what I was trying to say, and a lot more succinctly.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 5, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The Philadelhia Union's new stadium is in Chester. That should tell you all you need to know about the pipedream of a NoVa stadium for DCU.

One more thing to toss around. People in Baltimore HATE anything associated with DC. There really won't be a DC United. The first thing to go in Baltimore will be any connection to DC, including its supporters.

Moving DCU to Baltimore will be no different from moving the team to St.Louis from the perspective of most current DCU fans.

That said sports is always all about business. Baltimore is willing to put up so DC has to just shut up.

Posted by: rcdwriting | January 5, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

DC United ---> FC United

Posted by: sofiaboy
--------------------------

Why stop there? Why not Real United Sporting FC? ;-)

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 5, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh man this thread + this comment
"DCU laid off two employees right before the holidays (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year) and Will has put in a hiring/pay freeze. "
= very depressing.

Posted by: DCB23 | January 5, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rcdwriting | January 5, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Exactly my point. If the DC area wants United then it needs to put up and stop the whining or else.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | January 5, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I've held my tongue for many years but ...

Fire Payne. He's trying to destroy this organization on every front right now. VA will never ever ever happen.

Bring on Charm City United.

Posted by: M__N | January 5, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Poplar Point was and remains the best option.

Move to VA and you have a traffic nightmare.

Move to MD and you will lose half of your season ticket holders (including this one). DC United does not post the same numbers the Skins do -- you can expect drop-off from disgruntled fans.

A stadium in DC will work wonders for the city. Look at what the MCI/Verizon Center has done for Chinatown. We know this, they know this. Hopefully Gray will get it too.

Posted by: VerizonCenterResident | January 5, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Bring on Charm City United.

Posted by: M__N
----------------------------

Go away.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 5, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Alecw81 -- You just don't get it. I know Baltimore is closer than Indy. The fact is, if DC United moves to Balt. they are no longer DC United. I'd say the same thing if they move to VA. However if they moved to the close in burbs in VA or MD, they could still call themselves DC. The Skins, are Washington, and they based in VA and play in MD.

Yeah, maybe the team is the same, and the kits are the same, but it is not the same thing. Personally, I greatly dislike many things about Baltimore and if DC United moves there, they are no longer DC United to me. In case you didn't know, there is somewhat of DC/Balt. rivalry.

I'm not going to convince you otherwise, just accept the fact that many folks would despise a move to Baltimore for many reasons. Just don't question someone's loyalty to a team if they stop attending matches.Are the only "true fans" the ones who attend matches? I think not.

Posted by: torrey151 | January 5, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: torrey151

Again, to be even more direct about the fan and team issue with a move to Baltimore. People in Baltimore will not want DC fans or care in the least what DC fans think. Baltimore is local in a way DC is not. The threads are missing this point entirely. The Baltimore fans will want the club to show civic pride in Baltimore, not have the club try to reinvent itself as a DC entity in Baltimore. I guarantee all links to DC, including the name of the club, will be severed as soon as the ink on the paper to move the team is dry .

What do you really think is going to happen? Baltimore doesn't want DC United. They want an MLS franchise they can use to anchor further downtown development, in exactly the same way Chang proposed to DC in his orignal PP stadium plan.

My guess is that they will engineer some deal in Baltimore to leave the name DC United and all of its club records, trophies, and titles back in DC, much as the Ravens did when they got the Browns from Cleveland. (The Browns, by the way, left for the exact same reasons DCU will leave - money and a stadium.)

Unlike Cleveland, who did get a stadium built and got back into the NFL as an expansion franchise, I just don't see DC getting a team back any time if the team leaves.

Brace yourself, Buckaroos. The writing is on the wall.

Posted by: rcdwriting | January 5, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse