Posted at 3:18 PM ET, 01/ 6/2011

Freddy Adu, Oguchi Onyewu, Jozy Altidore, Bob Bradley, Toronto FC, WPS, USSF women's program

By Steve Goff

*Freddy Adu's world tour continues with a stop in Turkey to trial with a second-tier German club on winter break.

*Oguchi Onyewu has flown to Europe from Washington to finalize a loan deal with defending Dutch champion FC Twente. (Onyewu was not with AC Milan during winter training.) He has signed a contract but needs to pass a physical and have his international transfer certificate processed, European sources tell the Insider. If all goes well, expect an announcement within a week.

*Jozy Altidore watched from the bench as Villarreal overcame a two-goal deficit to defeat Valencia, 4-2, in the Spanish Copa del Rey round of 16. The first leg was scoreless.

*Will U.S. national team coach Bob Bradley also guide the 2012 Olympic squad?

*Toronto FC introduces: Aron Winter as head coach and technical director; Paul Mariner as director of player development; and Bob de Klerk as first assistant.

*While WPS takes another step back with the unveiling of a ludicrous club name, the USSF wisely hires two full-time directors to oversee the women's programs.

By Steve Goff  | January 6, 2011; 3:18 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, Freedom, Germany, MLS, Olympics, USSF, Women  | Tags:  Bob Bradley, Freddy Adu, Jozy Altidore, Toronto FC, USSF, WPS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matt Kassel preparing to leave Maryland and sign homegrown contract with New York Red Bulls
Next: Weekend soccer TV listings: England FA Cup, La Liga, Serie A, Mexico

Comments

Personally over the moon about the Twente news, this is should be a great move. Hopefully, he'll play well enough for a transfer.

As for Freddy... well, glad he's staying alive, but get a team already and play.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | January 6, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the Flash(ers) and magictalk SC. The latter sounds more like a developing country's club team...

Posted by: Reignking | January 6, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

If there's one thing I know about Germans, it is that they love to travel and get out of Germany.

Amazing match for Villarreal, who has a depleted and tired squad for their RM match this weekend.

Posted by: Reignking | January 6, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Sad about Freddy. I think it's time for him to swallow his pride and come back to MLS. He's young enough that he can rebuild his career.

Posted by: mmathai1 | January 6, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Agreed completely on Freddy Adu. He needs to be playing, and he could be playing regularly in MLS.

Posted by: Ron16 | January 6, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

All credit to gold bricking, but young Freddy needs to get some minutes on the field....

Posted by: JkR- | January 6, 2011 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Great news for Gooch...He'll see some decent competition in the Eredivisie. Twente are a solid team and fun to watch...Janko, Ruiz and de Jong score lots of goals.

Posted by: aschreur | January 6, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

WPS Western New York reveals new uniform.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 6, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

The Freedom will always be Freedom to me, and we will stillgo to the Plex and cheer our players on.
My kids are already making fun of the new team name.....

Posted by: 10bestfan | January 6, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

My kids are already making fun of the new team name.....

-------------

From yesterday's article, it doesn't sound like they'll be at the SportsPlex this year. Maybe we can talk to Borislow and build VoIP stadium or something...

Freddy is roughly the same age as Landon was when he came back to San Jose. Hopefully he's developed a work ethic, one of the biggest knocks against him everywhere he's been.

Posted by: SoccerVA | January 6, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@10bestfan: I'm not trying to posion the water. Really I'm not. Seriously.

Based on what Goff had reported yesterday, there is no deal in place for the Freedom to play at the Soccerplex the upcoming season. The lease is set to expire and accordint to the Plex director, neither the new owner nor the league responded when the Plex "reached out" to them.

I sincerely hope that they do play at the Plex--at least a few games so that we can enjoy them a while longer.

If they do and we can hook it up, you got a cold beverage of your choice waiting for you, on me.

Peace.

Posted by: yankiboy | January 6, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Count me in for the beer at the Freedom/MagicTalk game (in Germantown, not Ft. Lauderdale or wherever). It might be the last match we see. And, at the risk of not being a "True Fan," I won't follow the South Florida MagicTalk SC when they move and I will definitely not drive to see them.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 6, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Let's do a partial roll call, a stroll down memory lane:

Clash
Burn
Wiz
Fire

And now, we got Sporting KFC.

When I put the WPS up against that great history, it really doesn't look so bad...

Hey, just look at the Aussie A-League names. Glory, Heart, Roar, Victory.

Then again, that league is kinda struggling but I am sure that the sorry club names are not the key factor.

WPS names aren't much worse than early MLS or Aussie A-league.

[I-270 enters, cueing up the lyrics for Men at Work's "Land Down Under"]

Posted by: yankiboy | January 6, 2011 5:12 PM | Report abuse

SoccerVA beat me to the Freedom/MagicTalk venue point (his server is obviously a lot faster than mine--I gotta do a better job feeding the hamsters running around on the wheel that generates that the electricity powering mine)...

Posted by: yankiboy | January 6, 2011 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Western New York, gone in a flash!

Posted by: Reignking | January 6, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about Bradley's idea to coach the U-23 team and then if qualify the Olympic team. It can be a double edge sword. Case in point is Mexico who according to them in regards to the 2012 London goal they will not make Chepo the coach as they did with Hugo Sanchez in 2008. They even say they have learn this lesson and will follow the American way in this case and separate the head coach from directly being involve with this and let his assistant run it with the head coach in an advising role. Such was the case with Bradley and Nowak back in 2008.

Posted by: silentbat | January 6, 2011 6:12 PM | Report abuse

"Freedom? That is a Yang worship word. You will not speak it!"

@alienbat -- Exactly what lesson are we talking about? Nowak's team crapped out at the Olympics, and I don't think it helped Bradley any.

The Villareal game was pretty awesome. They were dead at halftime. Amazing comeback -- totally dominated the second half. Based on that performance, I don't know if Jozy is going to see any time there, even with their injuries. It's unfair to say he just watched from the bench, though. He got to practice jumping into the celebration pile after Rossi's second goal iced the game in stoppage time. Pepe Rossi. Alas....if only....

Posted by: fischy | January 6, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

6 teams doesn't make for much of a league

Posted by: fedssocr | January 6, 2011 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm totally bummed that the Freedom aren't going to play in DC (or so it appears). I was planning to go to my first game ever because my daughter is finally old enough. The United games go past her bed time, but she could do a Saturday afternoon at the Plex, and I want to show her that even though her dad only watches men play soccer on TV, women can do it to, and very well! Maybe I'll end up taking her to a college game instead.

Posted by: WorldCup | January 6, 2011 11:07 PM | Report abuse

@Worldcup: Take her to see one of the local colleges like Maryland. The Terps are on the upswing; They are very competitive. The games are fun and the players are usually really cool with the kids after the games.

If you live on the other side of the river then maybe checkout Georgetown or if you live really far out then check out Mason.

Posted by: yankiboy | January 7, 2011 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Based on the linked article, it sounds like Freddy is a long-shot to catch on with Ingolstadt. With all the rejections in Europe, he probably needs to get back here and start playing again.

I'm looking forward to seeing Gooch with Twente. Some games from Holland are televised (in Spanish) on Sundays, and I've been impressed with the style and quality of play.

Posted by: shovetheplanet | January 7, 2011 8:43 AM | Report abuse

magicTalk? Who dreamed that one up? Did someone actually get paid for that idea? I could see maybe calling a radio station that, but not a club.

Meanwhile, if Ingolstadt is the best Freddie can do, maybe he should start looking at Expedia.com to book a ticket back the to US. Ingolstadt is six points deep in the relegation zone to 3.Bundesliga at the winter break.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | January 7, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

If there are no games at the Plex, then why is the WPS pretending that they are anything more than MagicTalk SC? What a shame......

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | January 7, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

hey freddy, my monday night coed team needs a guy, help us. of course you'll have to try out, LOL.

Posted by: hamlin_todd | January 7, 2011 10:55 AM | Report abuse

USSF wisely hires two veterans? How soon do we forget that Heinrichs ran the senior women's team into the ground. She likes to play kick and chase, relying on big, fast, strong players who lack technical ability. There may be a need for more attention to player development on the women's side but recycling a coach who was the wrong choice before?

Posted by: tim21 | January 7, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@tim21: I completely slept on that fact.
Very good point.